• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's all right but I prefer
BMW_M5_E28_Minervablau.jpg

E28 M5

and
e34.jpg

E34 M5..

May I ask why you're suddenly calling a 302 ci V8 cool?
There's nothing wrong with a big V8 in a sports saloon when it revs to 7000 rpm and sounds like an exotic, while handling like a proper sports car. Amazing as it may seem, yes, I appreciate big engines, too.

May I ask why you're suddenly calling a 302 ci V8 cool?

Here's where the fundamental disconnect is.

It doesn't matter how many cubes the car has, or how many liters.

It doesn't matter what its quarter mile time is.

It doesn't matter whether it's pushrod actuated or using valvetronic trickery.

What matters is whether it's cool or not.

I vote in favor of sub zero.

Not only is it my favorite BMW, I think I could classify it as my favorite German car. Good stuff from BMW, then. The subtlety of the car is what I like best, it doesn't have to look special to be special. It's the wink-wink, nudge-nudge for those of us in the know, and to this day, is largely the benchmark for large performance sedans.

They've come down a good bit in value, and I'd love to own one.

It doesn't matter how many cubes the car has, or how many liters.

It doesn't matter what its quarter mile time is.

It doesn't matter whether it's pushrod actuated or using valvetronic trickery.

What matters is whether it's cool or not. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.

I couldn't resist.

I like it, but I don't love it, looks pretty meh if you ask me, but it's big engine saves it from only being meh...

Cool it is...

A firm cool for me, if it only had a N/A straight 6 then it wouldn't be quite as cool, engine, performance etc is all part of the package in my opinion.

This I feel is the last proper M5, and a proper M5 is something which is descrete yet incredible. Anybody who knows about cars knows that an M5 is an M5. Anybody who doesn't sees a nice 4 door car. This car is the last M5 to epitomize that I think and when you consider what it does, I don't see how it could be any less than cool, though I personally feel it's sub-zero.

Back