GTP Cool Wall: 2006-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

2006-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you showed my mother a picture of one of these, and asked her what sort of person she'd expect to drive it, she'd say that. My mother has so little interest in cars that she failed to notice that a '66 Mustang was parked outside her place the other day until I pointed it out to her, and even then she had no idea why it was special or unusual.

Who actually drives a car has no effect on how cool it is, only who is perceived as driving one.

IF that's the case as you've pointed out twice (yes I saw the invisible font in your other post) then what's the point of saying what you said as if it's the premise of your vote. And if it's what your mother would say then it makes even less sense to bring it up. Perhaps tell her those Soccer mom Russian mobsters of fiction are just that...fiction.

Perhaps tell her those Soccer mom Russian mobsters of fiction are just that...fiction.

Doesn't matter. The first impression has already been made, and that's the first impression which will be made upon the vast majority of people by this sort of vehicle.

Cool because it is the quickest SUV to come from America. Would have been SZ if not for the wheels.

These kinds of vehicles have always said, perhaps unfairly, cashed-up male with anger or self-compensation issues.

It's a lardass SUV with an orangutan V8 and a slushbox transmission. Those things would be gravy if the SRT8 was intended to go offroad or do other SUV things. For a performance vehicle, they're 100% Seriously Uncool.

I am aware of this. If you'd read my next post...

...Then I went on to discuss that I'm hardly the only one who uses such reasoning to influence my vote:

..And you could also suggest anyone who has a problem with the likes of a Prius - and the whole "eco culture" that surrounds it - could be accused of exactly the same. In fact, I noticed that you voted cool for the Prius. Your reason?

In other words, you've used the same "asinine stereotype" and "confirmation bias" to influence your vote, only in a positive direction.

...And then we could go on to your opinion of the Toyota Sports 800:

So you go on to complain about "Pop culture" yet you make a sweeping statement about how a car can make you look gay? Do you have enough of a sample of gay people that drive the Toyota Sports 800? That, in principle, is exactly the same as discussing penis size in a cool wall debate. Yes, you've voted cool again, yet you've still allowed the same influence (positively or negatively - it doesn't matter) to enter your thought process.

I've only scrutinised two opinions out of many that you've written. Maybe that isn't a large enough sample size to truly believe all of your decisions are filled with the same hypocrisy, but it's a pretty good start...

Perhaps you should analyse your own opinions a little more closely before you lay into one of mine.

You'll notice that I specifically note that my opinions are about perception and not facts about the person. I don't pretend to know things about the drivers such as their penis size. This is a pretty big difference and means that my statement was not hypocritical.

If you said "People will think you have a small penis" you would be consistent with the quotes of mine that you posted. If I said "The driver of a Toyota Sports 800 is gay" I would be a hypocrite.

But I'm sure that you could dig and find some quotes of me saying that a driver of X car has Y problem with their life. My comment was more directed at the compensating stereotype anyways.

I don't pretend to know things about the drivers such as their penis size.

And of course neither do I. Why would you - or anyone else, for that matter - take what is clearly hyperbole as a statement of fact? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that nobody making the little wang comment has ever asked one of the accused to whip out their chap so they can see how it measures up. It's so obviously an exaggeration that I struggle to see how someone could take it literally.

If you said "People will think you have a small penis" you would be consistent with the quotes of mine that you posted. If I said "The driver of a Toyota Sports 800 is gay" I would be a hypocrite.

Sorry, but I don't buy that at all. If I had worded it like that, your response - and indeed the responses of everyone who took exception to what I said - would have been exactly the same, so I fail to see a distinction between my comments and yours. At least 'tiny penis' comments are ridiculous enough to be (quite rightly) dismissed as a metaphor..

Latest Posts

Back