• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2011+ Volkswagen up! nominated by SVT Cobra GT

2011_10_Volkswagen-up-black.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2011+
Style: 3-door hatchback, 5-door hatchback
Engine: 999 cc/61 ci naturally aspirated DOHC inline 3 (rated 59 HP & 70 lb-ft in low-power specification and 74 HP & 70 lb-ft in high-power specification, at least one specification can also run on natural gas), 999 cc/61 ci turbocharged inline 3 (rated 110 HP & 120 lb-ft)
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual (assuming the GT up! is still getting one), 5-speed automatic
AKA: SEAT Mii, Skoda Citigo​

My take? I absolutely despise this car. The questionable styling and tiny engines are just the start. The name, with its lack of capitals and its ending in an exclamation point, are trying way too hard to be trendy in the worst way, and its variants aren't much better, at least with regards to the actual model names. Put it down with the Prius and Cimarron. At least those actually appeared to be longer and wider than they were tall, and weren't seemingly targeted straight at people who'd rather text than drive, even while they're driving.

"Oh so it's like a Volkswagen smart car!"
"Yep"
"I love Volkswagens, Das Auto!"

Cool.

Last edited:
Looks stupid, has no balls, and just all around a boring car. You wouldn't even catch me near one. I absolutely despise that style layout; as I've previously said it looks like some took a car and cut it in half and put wheels on it. Seriously uncool.

To be honest, any person who finds this cool isn't someone I want to be impressing anyhow.

I'm not generally one for GRR POWER CARS MUST BE SPORTY GRRR but... this is a bit /too/ far into the slow city car for my taste.

Things like the Fiat 500 are still fun and nippy, this thing just... isn't...

Great fuel economy though.

In short, good car - not very cool though. I'll give it a meh.

To be honest, any person who finds this cool isn't someone I want to be impressing anyhow.

I'm not generally one for GRR POWER CARS MUST BE SPORTY GRRR but... this is a bit /too/ far into the slow city car for my taste.

Things like the Fiat 500 are still fun and nippy, this thing just... isn't...

Great fuel economy though.

In short, good car - not very cool though. I'll give it a meh.

110hp if there is a turbo version and 950kg which is 8.63KG/HP which is not that bad

It's Weight to Power ratio is lower than my FK2 which has 140HP, but that is if there really is a turbo charged version of the UP.

European hatchback = cool. Loses points for not being French or Italian, gains them for not being a cliche.

It's just a good job it wasn't the SEAT Mii or Skoda CitiGo nominated, as we'd currently have that crowd telling us it's really a Volkswagen.

Coolest of the current NSF platform cars. The styling is miles better than its VW Fox predecessor, though the engine range is lacking somewhat.

Given it a low cool. It's a revitalising update to their city car line which looks fine without trying. And I would like to see a turbocharged GT model go into production at some point. If only to expand the engine lineup.

Well seeing as though I actually own one of these, I'd say it's a cool car.

It doesn't try to be anything it isn't. It doesn't try to be sporty or anything, it's just an honest little car mainly aimed at young people for a first car or people who just want something to drive to the shops and friends houses. It's practical enough and it somehow manages to fit 4 adults inside without feeling cramped so it's well designed inside.

AND it's cheap.

Last edited:
Easily the coolest car currently in production. It looks like something out of a cute version of Bladerunner.

110hp if there is a turbo version and 950kg which is 8.63KG/HP which is not that bad

It's Weight to Power ratio is lower than my FK2 which has 140HP, but that is if there really is a turbo charged version of the UP.

Sure, but when I see a turbo up! on the road I'll let you know :)

A kei is more of a shopping trolly.

Heck the Peel P60 is the most trolly like car out there.

Looks stupid, has no balls, and just all around a boring car. You wouldn't even catch me near one. I absolutely despise that style layout; as I've previously said it looks like some took a car and cut it in half and put wheels on it. Seriously uncool.
Troll-face-problem.jpg

Anway, this is a cool for me. It won a WCOTY award, and like I said in the Mazda2 thread, it does its job well and I like that.

I always thought this was kinda cool, but the fact that it is not sold in 'Merica has always annoyed me. Still waiting for the ****-up! version too. Would also like a 500 Abarth competitor as well.

And it irritates the one from Alaska, so I give it Sub-Zero for that.

When was the last time you went shopping? This is a mere handbasket - 10 items or less...

I admit I very rarely do the shopping :D

A kei is more of a shopping trolly.

Heck the Peel P60 is the most trolly like car out there.

I'm not saying it looks like a shopping trolley... just that's what it's good for.

Just wait for the Audi version :D

Seriously though, I went seriously uncool, because it is. I'm sure it's an effective appliance though.

Plus, the Skoda badged version is available with a Stripe... and therefore would be the correct one to go for :D

0000046380.jpg

Last edited:
VW could have built a decent-looking city car reminiscent of the Golf. But they built this instead. Thank God it's not sold here.

Seriously Uncool.

A high-level Meh from me. Can't think of much negative towards it, but it doesn't set the pulses racing either.

Easily Seriously Uncool.

It's a hatchback with one of the dumbest car names ever.

Everyone would ask why your car's name has a punctuation mark, and that might necessitate some 'splainin.

Back