GTP Cool Wall: MB 300SL Gullwing. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 92 comments

MB 300SL Gullwing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never understood why people like this car so much and I still don't. It's a Merc, which is kind of cool. But it's also pretty ugly.

it's also pretty ugly.

eye-chart.jpg

;)

I can't say anything that I particularly love about the car.. Its not a ugly car, but I don't think its that great looking either. Its neutral to me, but its not a uncool car so I can't vote uncool so I think just 'cool' is satisfactory for me.

Where's my rope?

No really, I'd like to hear the explanation behind this, Paulie.

It doesn't ignite anything inside me, perhaps there should be an on-the-fence option, but nothing about this car makes me want to vote it cool.

The reason I pushed it the extra mile is the fact that it is arguably the first super car. That is a cool thing right there. Another is that if you saw one in the street, you would follow it out of sight. And the last, is that you don't want to be in one under just about any circumstance. The rear axle has a nasty habit of killing drivers, and the interior's under-floor padding sucks, so, whether you like it or not, you've got the heater going full blast under you.

I think that makes it at least a cool car. Then, adding in the opinions about the looks, one I share about it being beautiful, the amazingly fresh design, and the knowledge that anyone, even if they are ignorant of cars, will see that car and know. Know it has some major integrity in the car world. That makes it sub-zero to me.

The reason I pushed it the extra mile is the fact that it is arguably the first super car. That is a cool thing right there. Another is that if you saw one in the street, you would follow it out of sight. And the last, is that you don't want to be in one under just about any circumstance. The rear axle has a nasty habit of killing drivers, and the interior's under-floor padding sucks, so, whether you like it or not, you've got the heater going full blast under you.

I think that makes it at least a cool car. Then, adding in the opinions about the looks, one I share about it being beautiful, the amazingly fresh design, and the knowledge that anyone, even if they are ignorant of cars, will see that car and know. Know it has some major integrity in the car world. That makes it sub-zero to me.

Your first paragraph, all things I didn't know about it (although the axle doesn't sound very cool :P). But you did say arguably, the Jaguar XK120 for example pre-dates it.;) But I wouldn't follow it out of sight.:lol: The looks are plain to me, give me a C1 Corvette any day, but last I checked that's all opinion and even though the Veyron is the fastest car today, it's not liked by everyone, the same applies to the 300SL.
As for attention grabbing, a Karmann Ghia has that same sort of effect of people knowing it looks good, but that wasn't exactly a fast car.:sly:

Your first paragraph, all things I didn't know about it (although the axle doesn't sound very cool :P). But you did say arguably, the Jaguar XK120 for example pre-dates it.;) But I wouldn't follow it out of sight.:lol: The looks are plain to me, give me a C1 Corvette any day, but last I checked that's all opinion and even though the Veyron is the fastest car today, it's not liked by everyone, the same applies to the 300SL.
As for attention grabbing, a Karmann Ghia has that same sort of effect of people knowing it looks good, but that wasn't exactly a fast car.:sly:

I wouldn't really count the XK120 as a super car, but that's personal opinion. I know for a fact that if you saw a 300SL, you would chase after the sucker and scramble for pictures. Or at least, I would. And just about did. For the 190SL at least.

I think the looks are excellent for the era. The Corvette, I would rate as sub-zero too, but for different reasons.

And, last, the attention grabbing, certainly, the Karmann-Ghia does attract a lot of attention. But, and here's the point, you know that the SL is truly special. Or something. Normal people might think it's cute and shiny.

EDIT: Take a good look at a black one. :drool:

Last edited:
I wouldn't really count the XK120 as a super car, but that's personal opinion. I know for a fact that if you saw a 300SL, you would chase after the sucker and scramble for pictures. Or at least, I would. And just about did. For the 190SL at least.

I think the looks are excellent for the era. The Corvette, I would rate as sub-zero too, but for different reasons.

And, last, the attention grabbing, certainly, the Karmann-Ghia does attract a lot of attention. But, and here's the point, you know that the SL is truly special. Or something. Normal people might think it's cute and shiny.

Cute and shiny?:odd::lol:

Wasn't the XK120 the fastest car in the world of its time? That undoubtedly qualifies it as a supercar of its day.

I'm not sure what constitutes a super car, I've always felt that the 300SL was the first, because that's what I was taught. If you go by speed, then the Daimler Motor Carriage is a supercar, while the Lamborghini LP-560-4 isn't. What ever, I'll just wait for Famine.

I'm not sure what constitutes a super car, I've always felt that the 300SL was the first, because that's what I was taught. If you go by speed, then the Daimler Motor Carriage is a supercar, while the Lamborghini LP-560-4 isn't. What ever, I'll just wait for Famine.

The Motor Carriage never made an attempt at being fast, it made an attempt at personal transportation alternate to the horse. The concept of fast cars hadn't even been dreamt of yet back then because cars didn't even exist properly yet. The XK120 was meant to be fast, it was a racer, and it was the fastest production car on the planet at the time, it was a supercar. The LP-560-4 is meant to be fast, and damn fast it is, it's a supercar.

I actually don't like this car myself, given the cash I would certainly not want it, but due to it's iconic nature alone, I opted for cool even though from a completely personal perspective, if it had no background, I'd have voted uncool.

Is this car in any way directly related to the Silver Arrows?

It doesn't ignite anything inside me, perhaps there should be an on-the-fence option, but nothing about this car makes me want to vote it cool.

Why because it's not an Australian car? Congratulations on ruining the poll.

And for the last time, there will be no middle of the road option. If you are that middle of the road about a car don't vote.

And for the last time, there will be no middle of the road option. If you are that middle of the road about a car don't vote.

Since this car gets this kind of support, I should have voted seriously uncool. How is the poll ruined? Since when do I only like Aussie cars?

Last edited:

Joey, I know this has been a little stressful lately, but I think you went too far here.

Take a few minutes and cool off, okay.

Since this car gets this kind of support, I should have voted seriously uncool. How is the poll ruined? Since when do I only like Aussie cars? Why are you even allowed to post on these forums with your "far more biased than your perceived view of me" BS?

I've been planning something since the start for the car that gets all cool rating, you went ahead and voted it uncool for it for pretty much unknown reasons, thus ruining the poll. You did the same thing for the Classic Mini as well. Based on your posting history the only thing I can really conclude is because the cars aren't from Australia or America.

:lol: You really think I'm that biased? I don't like GM or Chrysler products, and even then I don't hate all of them. Yes we all have biases, some are just more extreme than others.

And I'm pretty sure telling someone they shouldn't post on these boards is a forum no-no.

Joey, I know this has been a little stressful lately, but I think you went too far here.

Take a few minutes and cool off, okay.

Nah I'm good. I'm slowly starting to see that the cool wall probably isn't going to work the way it currently is done because of stuff like this. People either vote for the wrong reasons, thinking cool somehow equals performance, or they state they are on the fence about a car and just vote willy nilly. Perhaps before more nominations are open I'll need to examine a better way of doing this.

Since this car gets this kind of support, I should have voted seriously uncool. How is the poll ruined? Since when do I only like Aussie cars? Why are you even allowed to post on these forums with your "far more biased than your perceived view of me" BS?

Man, you make yourself out to be all about Holdens (I recall your previous user name) and go on and on about them.

Then, you have problems with one of the most iconic cars ever created. I don't like Mercedes much, but this car is legend.

But then, you come in here and basically post "I don't have an opinion." Why post at all?

Why bother getting annoyed when someone calls you out on your bias?

And why do you make something into a personal attack? What right do you have to tell someone off? Let alone someone that has been involved with this community for 6 years longer than you have?

The Motor Carriage never made an attempt at being fast, it made an attempt at personal transportation alternate to the horse. The concept of fast cars hadn't even been dreamt of yet back then because cars didn't even exist properly yet. The XK120 was meant to be fast, it was a racer, and it was the fastest production car on the planet at the time, it was a supercar. The LP-560-4 is meant to be fast, and damn fast it is, it's a supercar.

I've been planning something since the start for the car that gets all cool rating, you went ahead and voted it uncool for it for pretty much unknown reasons, thus ruining the poll. You did the same thing for the Classic Mini as well. Based on your posting history the only thing I can really conclude is because the cars aren't from Australia or America.

:lol: You really think I'm that biased? I don't like GM or Chrysler products, and even then I don't hate all of them. Yes we all have biases, some are just more extreme than others.

And I'm pretty sure telling someone they shouldn't post on these boards is a forum no-no.

Nah I'm good. I'm slowly starting to see that the cool wall probably isn't going to work the way it currently is done because of stuff like this. People either vote for the wrong reasons, thinking cool somehow equals performance, or they state they are on the fence about a car and just vote willy nilly. Perhaps before more nominations are open I'll need to examine a better way of doing this.

Pretty much unknown reasons? REALLY? WOW!!!!

No car will EVER get an all cool rating, cars are designed for a target audience and that target audience will always exclude another group. The only way you could possibly believe one car would get an all cool rating is that you really are biased enough to believe this car is the be-all end-all of automotive excellence/cool factor.

You'll also notice I withdrew my comment before you posted, heat of the moment fingers, gone now.

Seriouly cool people drive 300SLs. People who brush past you one time in your life and you say "I want to be them" knowing that actually their lives are empty - but this is a 300SL - so their lives are actually as good as you initially imagine.

That is beginning to grasp just how cool a 300SL driver is. Someone who gets into a shower and the hotwater freezes on them because they're so cool drives a 300SL.

Someone who invites you on their Perini Navi for a weekend wearing nothing but the naviest blue and the whitest of white clothes. And when you are on the perfectly oiled deck, explaining your future car plans, they say "it will be done" and with the flick of their perfectly, stylishly cut hair, they usher their servants and whatever you wanted is waiting for you in the car park when you reach the dock...drives a 300SL.

300SL drivers look like those trendoids in mid flight in the Lacoste magazine ads. They can hover on a pressurised pillow of condensed air, gathered by their coolness, so they hover everywhere.

300SL drivers look at the Bugatti Atlanta much more than the Veyron.

Someone who's skin complexion and natural facial expression is that of a manikin in French Connection drives a 300SL.

People who drive 300SL's usually live beside lake Como.

If not stylish, hovering Lacoste trendoids, 300SL drivers also can appear as simple care free 70 something men like the ones in the Louis Vuitton magazine ads, wearing a rediculously expensive beige suit.

300SL drivers got a job at 14 at the local supermarket lying near the icecream because they are freezing.

300SL drivers go shopping at Pebble Beach.

300SL drivers have their own social networking in the form of hand signals when featuring in magazines. If they want to tell other 300SL drivers about their day, they send for the nearest fashion firm and wait 'till the next Tatler.

300SL drivers have siblings that are of your preferred sex, amazingly attractive, and seem to be giving you the eye all the time.

300SL drivers by property to match the amazingly tasteful, slightly aged red leather and dazzilingly bright silver, to ensure the neighbours like them.

Forget the easy task of charming Italian police with your nice car - 300SL drivers can even charm British police.

300SL drivers are always the ones who turn up in the nick of time when disaster strikes.

300SL drivers get so much hedge, they have it on tap, right next to the champagne and body lotion.

300SL drivers are admired by everyone - especially hollywood celebs.

300SL drivers could punch Rick James in the face and announce who they are adding a derogatory word on the end, but they are too cool.

300SL drivers can beat Chuck Norris at anything, with an even greater impedement.

That is scratching the surface of just how cool 300SL drivers are.

Plus it was voted #1 out of 100 in Car's coolest car article.

Thing is, you're trying to unobjectify an objective thing. some people are going to like things (or not like things) without having good reasons. I have a grudge against the Ultima for apparently no reason, and I still can't stand the Audi R8 because of Forza2.0.

There's gonna be some people who just don't like something, even if it has Desmo Valves and gullwing doors. :3

Take it from someone who's been on the wrong end of the argument several times: not worth getting bent out of shape because the poll doesn't go your way. I still think that you could justify a "ridiculously cool." type thing if over 90% of the votes (using real math) are sub-zero.

Pretty much unknown reasons? REALLY? WOW!!!!

I dunno, this doesn't look like much of a reason...
In fact, you basically said you have no opinion really, as you wanted an on the fence option...

No car will EVER get an all cool rating, cars are designed for a target audience and that target audience will always exclude another group. The only way you could possibly believe one car would get an all cool rating is that you really are biased enough to believe this car is the be-all end-all of automotive excellence/cool factor.

You'll also notice I withdrew my comment before you posted, heat of the moment fingers, gone now.

Generally, history can be universally agreed upon more often. And classics are often considered classics for their value and such.

And retracting a statement doesn't remove the fact that we read it :grumpy:

Man, you make yourself out to be all about Holdens (I recall your previous user name) and go on and on about them.

Then, you have problems with one of the most iconic cars ever created. I don't like Mercedes much, but this car is legend.

But then, you come in here and basically post "I don't have an opinion." Why post at all?

Why bother getting annoyed when someone calls you out on your bias?

And why do you make something into a personal attack? What right do you have to tell someone off? Let alone someone that has been involved with this community for 6 years longer than you have?

Where do I go on and on about them? Here you guys are going on and on about how this car is a titan among men.:rolleyes:
This car may be legend, so is a McLaren F1, a GT40, a Torana A9X, a 240Z, hundreds of cars! That doesn't mean everyone thinks they're cool. I never posted I don't have an opinion either, I said nothing about it makes me want to vote cool, if it's not cool then hey, I guess it's uncool in my books (I merely suggested the idea of a middle option). Oh, and whether you like it or not, Joey's post WAS a personal attack, yours not so much, but still offensive.

Edit: You know, this is quite possibly the most hypocritical argument I've ever been in on GTP. Here you are ridiculing me for voting your favourite car uncool while accusing me of bias! UNREAL!

Last edited:
I've been planning something since the start for the car that gets all cool rating, you went ahead and voted it uncool for it for pretty much unknown reasons, thus ruining the poll.

Don't worry Joey, my Volvo nomination is to appear yet - and I have a good feeling about that one :sly:.

Well I'm sorry that you read it, clearly I realised my mis-judgement too late.

You know what, fine, have your little polls all to yourselves. If you can't hack it when someone doesn't like your cars then that's too bad. You'll notice I haven't attacked anyone for insulting my favourite cars since returning to this forum almost a year ago.

Last edited:
I still think that you could justify a "ridiculously cool." type thing if over 90% of the votes (using real math) are sub-zero.

This might be an idea, although I think I would need to figure out some way to look at the amount of people who voted and determine a percentage off of that. However I'm thinking a cool rating of 98% or higher with at least 75% of the voted being in Sub-Zero, could justify it.

I'm going to mull this over and do some math to figure it out.

it is so cool, it will freeze thread. I noticed in the voting that someone has voted this car uncool. I would like to punch this person in the mouth

Edit: You know, this is quite possibly the most hypocritical argument I've ever been in on GTP. Here you are ridiculing me for voting your favourite car uncool while accusing me of bias! UNREAL!

Meh, I could dig up stuff on your Holden love, but it really isn't necessary.

As for the hypocritical nature of this... argument, I don't recall calling this my favourite car. Or anything close. I said I had a vast amount of respect for it given the history it has and the icon it has become.

My irritation isn't a result of you voting uncool, but you complete lack of a reason and then you're rather poorly constructed counter argument. Joey assumed, with good reason, that this related to a generally known bias, and then you basically told him he has no right to post on the board.

Basically, don't play with fire unless you can handle the burn! :sly:

Back