GTP Top Ten Cars of the '00s

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 80 comments
M-Spec I would argue that those are slightly general, considering there have been two generations of 3-series, three Golf GTis, four Mitsubishi Evos, two Porsche Boxsters, two MX-5s and at least two Accords in the '00s.

Same with Fit, Mustang, Impreza and 911.

Good try. But FAIL.

I was considering posting the Miata myself but didn't feel the NC deserved it's place...

niky
...and I really couldn't nominate the NC.

While I didn't nominate the car either, I thought about it. In a time where everyone piled on the power, and the pounds, Mazda (for the most part) kept to the same basic formula. I can't fault them for that.

Meh. I still want one. But I'm crazy (!!!).

And knowing him, he meant the E46.

Thats the point, Some of us don't know the people on this forum as well as others. Therefor the picture in nature is rather general maybe if specific model numbers were there by the pictures it would be easier to understand.

Also, What's the deal in just out right bashing someone for no good reason apart from they had a disagreement with Famine, Thats one of the reasons I visit this forum because things like that don't normally happen as they do on others.

I would have put the Miata, but the NB is a spec that was created in the late 90's... and I really couldn't nominate the NC.

Although the NB spec was created in the late 90s, I can see why, if it was intentional, M-Spec has put that particular picture in, as it's the revised NB often known as the "mk2.5". And to my knowledge, that one was released in the '00s. That said, I still didn't nominate it because it's still an NB.

While I didn't nominate the car either, I thought about it. In a time where everyone piled on the power, and the pounds, Mazda (for the most part) kept to the same basic formula. I can't fault them for that.

Meh. I still want one. But I'm crazy (!!!).

I don't mind the NC, really. If I was wealthy enough to have two MX-5s, I'd keep my NA for weekends and I'd quite happily have an NC with the hard top and even the auto gearbox as a daily driver. I wouldn't have one exclusively as a toy though.

Thats the point, Some of us don't know the people on this forum as well as others. Therefor the picture in nature is rather general maybe if specific model numbers were there by the pictures it would be easier to understand.

The pictures are what the pictures are. I doubt anyone would think ///M-Spec meant the C5 Corvette - made through to 2004 - when he's quite clearly posted a picture of the C6 Corvette (even though he spelled Chevrolet wrong :D ). So why would anyone think he meant a different model to the E46 3-series he posted? Or a different Lancer to the EvoIX he posted?

Also, What's the deal in just out right bashing someone for no good reason apart from they had a disagreement with Famine, Thats one of the reasons I visit this forum because things like that don't normally happen as they do on others.

Apart from neanderthal calling it a "FAIL", I don't see any bashing. And I doubt that neanderthal is bashing him just because he had a disagreement with me, given that neanderthal and I disagree quite a lot on many things.

I also have no idea why the disagreement actually occurred at all.

Although the NB spec was created in the late 90s, I can see why, if it was intentional, M-Spec has put that particular picture in, as it's the revised NB often known as the "mk2.5". And to my knowledge, that one was released in the '00s. That said, I still didn't nominate it because it's still an NB.

Yep. The Mk2.5 - and it is a Mk2.5 pictured - is a 2001 (March, for anyone who cares) to 2005 car.

That's odd. The last thing I expected was for my choices to cause any controversy. They are so safe and predictable that I didn't even feel the need to comment on them.

But I appreciate guys like HFS, Famine and niky speaking on my behalf.

My choices were both general and specific.

In 2000, the best compact entry level premium sedan you can buy in the US was the 3-Series. In December of 2009, this was still pretty much the case.

I didn't choose between the E90 and the E46 because I didn't have to: they were never sold concurrently except for the small overlap between the introduction of the E90 sedan and the last E46 coupes and convertibles. So if a potential buyer didn't have to choose between an E46 or E90, then why should I?

All the other cars I chose also displayed the same long standing success. A Miata was the best affordable sports car in 2000 and it is the best affordable sports car today. An Accord is the best family car and so on. Doesn't matter if you're talking about an NB or NC, they are ALL GOOD.

(I know the NC doesn't get any love around here, but come on, it's still better than the alternatives)

I chose newcomers like the R8 and GT-R for their game-changing impact on the industry.

My choices are also specific in this way: when choosing the image to represent the line of cars, I tried my best to pick the exact model year and trim that I felt best highlighted the 'bestness' of the range.

So for the 3-series, it was the E46 328i pre-facelift. It was so much better than anything else available at the time, its domination of the segment was beyond reproach. It was the shining moment, so to speak.

I couldn't always find the exact spec I wanted though. For example, I wanted a 328i with the ZSP wheels and HIDs. Couldn't find one so I made do with what I got.

Point of fact, I believe the best 3-Series of the last 10 years is actually the 235 hp E46 330i Performance Package, introduced in 2003 only for the US market. But I didn't picture it because by then Infiniti had it's brilliant V35 G35 and Audi had the B6 A4/S4 --the competition had begun closing the gap.

The only exception to the rule I followed was the GTI. The Mk IV wasn't particularly incredible. But the Mk V (shown) put the range on my list. And I chose to picture the Mk V rather than the Mk VI because the VI, while a brilliant car, doesn't represent the huge leap forward the V did. But the VI is still the best car in its segment. And thus the entire GTI range deserves to be on the list.

Hope that explains it.

Oh, and it probably took me about 30 mins to throw that together. I had some time to kill and it was fun.

M

(I know the NC doesn't get any love around here, but come on, it's still better than the alternatives)

Sadly, for motorheads everywhere... it is. It really is. It's a very good car in its own right... just not the game-changer the NA/NB were.

Don't know about the Accord. I mean... it was the best in its class in the 00's.... and the new one is still the best in its class... but I don't know if it signifies anything beyond being better than the other midsized front-wheel drive sedans on the American market. Still... okay. :lol:

These are in no particular order:

• MINI Cooper: It did retro half way decently and proved that a premium compact car could be sold in America in decent numbers. Even with it's high price tag it still managed to sell decently well based on it's fuel economy and sporty driving image.
  • Ford Fusion: Proved the American automakers don't have to push crap on the public. This car was, and still is, just as good as the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry...arguably the kings of the mid-size sedan market.
  • Cadillac CTS: Another surprise from the American automarkers. Sure it isn't as good as the German couterparts but it's still a really good car and showed the world that GM can actually make a good luxury car if they try. It also helped change Cadillac's image from old fogie car to something 30-somethings want.
  • Ford Focus: A small car for the masses, it could even be thought of as the modern day Model T. It was simple, it was good on gas, it was affordable, and it just worked.
  • Hyundai Genesis: A surprise from the Koreans. In coupe form the Genesis showed that there is an alternative to the Mustang of the 350Z. In the sedan form it showed it could compete with Lexus, Acura and Infiniti.
  • MKV GTI: VW showed that it didn't forget the formula that made the MKI GTI so fun all those years ago. Gave the average person the ability to have an affordable family car that was still sporty.
  • Honda S2000: OK it came out in 1999 but it lived it's entire life in the Naughties. It's the essence of a sports car and it's possible one of the most fun cars to drive on the road right now.
  • Lotus Elise Series 2: Like the S2000, another pure essence of a sports car. Anything built on the philosophy, simplify and add lightness has to make the list.
  • Audi R8: A civilised supercar that can be driven everyday and not kill you for either a backbreaking ride or track only handling. Hell it can even be driven in the snow!
  • Ford GT: Another awesome retro car that Ford just did right. The car was awesome in every way.

Sorry mate.
It's just that your response, your questioning of his choices, it just seemed so far off base.
He clearly indicated which cars, by submitting images.

At least that was how I saw it. Until they started cutting it up into prefacelift/ post facelift/ updated/ sports suspension, etc models. Then I got confused. And I could see where you were coming from.

Unlike others, I don't separate between the early and later and facelifted E46 3 series. I do know that they are updated during the models production. Apparently some do.
I do profoundly apologise.

Here's mine in no particular numerical order:

10: Honda S2000
Probably the only Honda I would even think of owning. Still a damn good car even after 10 years of production with minimal changes.
29_12_3---Honda-S2000_web.jpg

9. Ford Fusion
Proved an American car company could produce an affordable mid size sedan with good quality that wasn't a penalty box to drive, and could go head to head with the best from Japan, Korea, and the rest of the world.
ford_fusion_2006_5.jpg

8. Cadillac CTS-V
A ZR-1 in a tuxedo.
2009-Cadillac-CTS-V-1.jpg

7. Chevrolet Cobalt SS
260 turbocharged horses and a Nurburgring tuned suspension.
cobalt_ss_coupe_yellow_m.jpg

6. Ford SVT F150 Lightning
Successor to the Lightning of the '90's. This one reached a whole new level of performance that rivaled alot of sports cars, yet it was still useful as a truck.
03_Lightning_Pic1.jpg

5. Chevrolt Trailblazer SS
A Corvette that can haul the whole family around and tow the boat to the lake.
trailblazerss.jpg

4. Ford Mustang
Not the first retro car, but definately one of, if not the most successful retro cars. Also the first all-new Mustang since 1979, this car definately had alot of bang for the buck to go along with it's good looks.
68432.jpg

3. International CXT
In a decade that brought $4+/gallon gas and global warming alarmism, International introduced the CXT, a big metal middle finger to Al Gore. Largest vehicle you could drive on a regular drivers license. (designed specifically to be 1 pound under CDL requirement.)
0705dp_11_z+international_cxt_truck+front_view_yellow.jpg

2. Chevrolet Corvette C6, Z06, ZR-1
Included all versions of the C6 here as they are all awesome. Able to beat cars that cost 2-3x as much, while being comfortable enough for daily driving and returning reasonable mpg.
2009-corvette-zr1-official.jpg

1. Ford GT
Modern reincarnation of the one from the 60's that whooped Ferrari. Similar to the Corvette as it's performance rivaled much more expensive cars.
Donated_FordGT.jpg

Last edited:
3. International CXT

That thing is awesome.

Oh, and hotlinking fail on a few of the images ;) Mental note for everyone: Netcarshow really doesn't like hotlinking, and yet people always seem intent to hotlink from them... The C6 Corvette gets a hell of a lot of publicity that way...

That thing is awesome.

Oh, and hotlinking fail on a few of the images ;) Mental note for everyone: Netcarshow really doesn't like hotlinking, and yet people always seem intent to hotlink from them... The C6 Corvette gets a hell of a lot of publicity that way...

Found new images and edited the post. Wasn't really paying attention to where the images came from.

Here's mine in no particular numerical order:

3. International CXT a big metal middle finger to Al Gore. Largest vehicle you could drive on a regular drivers license. (designed specifically to be 1 pound under CDL requirement.)

And how many were sold?

Sales wise, probably no so much of a middle finger.

Don't know about the Accord. I mean... it was the best in its class in the 00's.... and the new one is still the best in its class... but I don't know if it signifies anything beyond being better than the other midsized front-wheel drive sedans on the American market. Still... okay. :lol:

Hey man, we got some nice midsized FF sedans here :)

Been looking for an excuse to drive the new Mazda6 myself...

M

And how many were sold?

Sales wise, probably no so much of a middle finger.

Sales were low because of the $100K+ price tag.

And at a time when ol' Al was pushing his GW schtick and demanding car companies stop producing large vehicles and build Prius clones, International built this thing.

Yes, but, (believe it or not,) those are used for making money. The CXT would be for personal use.

Yes, but, (believe it or not,) those are used for making money. The CXT would be for personal use.

You can use it for personal use but pretty much the only time I ever see them actually being used is for a car hauler or some heavy equipment. It's not like the average buyer would get one for the sole purpose to take their kids to school.

Hey man, we got some nice midsized FF sedans here :)

Been looking for an excuse to drive the new Mazda6 myself...

M

The Mazda6 has better sound insulation than the old one, more space, much better looks (one of the first "Nagare" designs, includes swooping, sweeping curves that meld into the body work) and better engines and transmissions.

Unfortunately, it doesn't drive like a four-door Miata anymore. Still has very good handling compared to the likes of the Accord and Camry, but it feels a little more refined... a little more... safe.

And it can't match the jumongous space of the current Accord.

Back