GTS drifting - where do you rate it's realism?

• Thread starter mekonrider
  • 87 comments
Does the visual steering lock issue only exist on race cars with a soft lock? (race care typically have less steering rotation than road cars)
Not sure and probably needs some experimentation, drift cars are usually modified to have extreme wheel articulation with custom steering geometry. I doubt the game visualizes this, or if it even takes that into account for "drift" setups. Also, if people are using aids like counter steering assist it may impact the visuals. I think the developers could improve it but it's probably not a priority.

Not sure and probably needs some experimentation, drift cars are usually modified to have extreme wheel articulation with custom steering geometry. I doubt the game visualizes this, or if it even takes that into account for "drift" setups. Also, if people are using aids like counter steering assist it may impact the visuals. I think the developers could improve it but it's probably not a priority.

Given there are no drift cars in the game it won't depict that.

My point is in regard to people asking why the 'red dot' only moves part way along the scale even when full lock is applied... trying to help understand why this is...

IME, the red dot doesn't move to the full extent of the scale on race cars... which I assume is because they have less steering wheel rotation vs road cars (race cars have a soft lock - my T300 only rotates max c.540*-720* with race cars, vs max 1080* with road cars).

You didnt understand me. Look in the video how less angle the front tyres have in comparison to the angle the car drifts. In the Video the front tires steer 50% to less maybe. I am not talking of wrong direction lol.

Now you've mentioned, yeah the Tyre visually look less angle in replay. Hope they fix the visual, and adding more smoke back make it visually satisfy

I think the physics of the drift improved a lot to what they were in gt6, the speed with which the wheels move is much more real, in gt6 they reacted instantaneously as soon as you played the analog, I mean they went from normal to full lock in 0.0001 seconds even in lower sensitivity. In gt6 the car felt much lighter and being so sensitive to play with a control was harder to control.
In Gt sport, from the last update, they changed the physics depending on which sheet of tune you used the car, I mean that if you put the tune of your car on the drift sheet you will have much more angle and it is almost impossible to spin off than using it on the road sheet. This seems totally bad to me since any noob can drift as it is very difficult to lose control of the car.Also having such an exaggerated angle generates slow drift which are very bad to do tandem. For me it is very unreal because you can go full lock and full throttle and do not lose control of the car what in real life is almost impossible.
The drift in gt sport requires a lot of practice but once you have it you will realize that it is much more real than in other games. For example in Forza or Asseto Corsa once the car loses grip the game is put as in a kind of drift mode, in gt sport the car behaves normally and you have to use the accelerator and direction with great caution to lose grip and control the car if you want to drift.

I leave you one of my videos, thanks for your time.

I think the physics of the drift improved a lot to what they were in gt6, the speed with which the wheels move is much more real, in gt6 they reacted instantaneously as soon as you played the analog, I mean they went from normal to full lock in 0.0001 seconds even in lower sensitivity. In gt6 the car felt much lighter and being so sensitive to play with a control was harder to control.
In Gt sport, from the last update, they changed the physics depending on which sheet of tune you used the car, I mean that if you put the tune of your car on the drift sheet you will have much more angle and it is almost impossible to spin off than using it on the road sheet. This seems totally bad to me since any noob can drift as it is very difficult to lose control of the car.Also having such an exaggerated angle generates slow drift which are very bad to do tandem. For me it is very unreal because you can go full lock and full throttle and do not lose control of the car what in real life is almost impossible.
The drift in gt sport requires a lot of practice but once you have it you will realize that it is much more real than in other games. For example in Forza or Asseto Corsa once the car loses grip the game is put as in a kind of drift mode, in gt sport the car behaves normally and you have to use the accelerator and direction with great caution to lose grip and control the car if you want to drift.

I leave you one of my videos, thanks for your time.

After 1.11, i really think the drift is really good, depending on which car use to drift, some is harder than other, by turning everything off including steering assist i would say is a little bit more harder than GT5

After 1.11, i really think the drift is really good, depending on which car use to drift, some is harder than other, by turning everything off including steering assist i would say is a little bit more harder than GT5

Just try not using your tune on drift tab pls, make a test using the same tune on road/drift you will see that when your drifting on drift tab it gives you a lot off angle without spining out (also gives you a little tracción control), thats the part that i hate. On Drift teams comps. its not alowed to drift using drift tab because of that.

Just try not using your tune on drift tab pls, make a test using the same tune on road/drift you will see that when your drifting on drift tab it gives you a lot off angle without spining out (also gives you a little tracción control), thats the part that i hate. On Drift teams comps. its not alowed to drift using drift tab because of that.

Try other road cars rather than gr3/4 cars which is not italia458, GT86 Grmn you will see it is impossible to drift on road/drift setting before 1.11. if you can drift other than those car i'm willing to become your student. This is why you can see all 86Grmn, 458 only those have big angle cars to drift on lobbies and youtube before 1.11.
Drifting angle now is very good on all cars because a lot of people request it, this is what real drift fun. In real world drift is not hard as before 1.11 and also the drift angle is much bigger with properly setup.

Last edited:
Drifting with T300 is impossible for me. I used to be obsessed with drifting in GT5 and GT6. I could easily keep a drift going around entire tracks back then using the DS3 controller. It's sad that I just can't catch slides with a wheel. I was wondering if it was the game or if it was my lack of skill. I'm guessing it's the latter.

Try other road cars rather than gr3/4 cars which is not italia458, GT86 Grmn you will see it is impossible to drift on road/drift setting before 1.11. if you can drift other than those car i'm willing to become your student. This is why you can see all 86Grmn, 458 only those have big angle cars to drift on lobbies and youtube before 1.11.
Drifting angle now is very good on all cars because a lot of people request it, this is what real drift fun. In real world drift is not hard as before 1.11 and also the drift angle is much bigger with properly setup.

I understand you, i agreed that its too dificult to hold the angles on road cars but the point that I argue is that after 1.11 you can maintain angles of 90 degrees just by turning the direction and going full throllote i mean anyone can do it only with a little practice and i dont know how it is on real life but i dont think thats its easy like that. I´ll upload a vid later drifting with the supra and i have seen ppl drifting great with the rx7 too, it takes more practice but it can be done.

Hope no one minds me adding this here, reading words vs watching lol

dude that is some cancerous music :D

Drifting with T300 is impossible for me. I used to be obsessed with drifting in GT5 and GT6. I could easily keep a drift going around entire tracks back then using the DS3 controller. It's sad that I just can't catch slides with a wheel. I was wondering if it was the game or if it was my lack of skill. I'm guessing it's the latter.

same here

I understand you, i agreed that its too dificult to hold the angles on road cars but the point that I argue is that after 1.11 you can maintain angles of 90 degrees just by turning the direction and going full throllote i mean anyone can do it only with a little practice and i dont know how it is on real life but i dont think thats its easy like that. I´ll upload a vid later drifting with the supra and i have seen ppl drifting great with the rx7 too, it takes more practice but it can be done.[/QUOT
I understand you, i agreed that its too dificult to hold the angles on road cars but the point that I argue is that after 1.11 you can maintain angles of 90 degrees just by turning the direction and going full throllote i mean anyone can do it only with a little practice and i dont know how it is on real life but i dont think thats its easy like that. I´ll upload a vid later drifting with the supra and i have seen ppl drifting great with the rx7 too, it takes more practice but it can be done.

I get your point, you mean now is too easy. But you realized the tab explanation: it said properly tuned steering angle for drift, in real world if you go to drift class for a session. the car they prepared for you to learn is also fine tuned especially for drift.

But the thing is before 1.11 it is impossible to drift a good angle even using the drift tab which actually is same as road tab before update.....
NOT just too difficult.. which is horrible i know a lot off people turned away which is also why gt sport don't know drift sub forum until now

You can see me drifting even before 1.11 but the drifting in road cars is just pathetic, it feel like is was designed for certain angle only not about your mistake or skill.....it was the limit which feel disappointed only until now it feels more like GT5/6.

You didnt understand me. Look in the video how less angle the front tyres have in comparison to the angle the car drifts. In the Video the front tires steer 50% to less maybe. I am not talking of wrong direction lol.

The latest 1.13 seems fixed this. Now in the replay tyre looks more convincing, i also noticing some increased smoke on CH tyre in term of the density, but still too short

Last edited:
Gt sport is doing my drifting head in .

I bought Forza 7 about 10 days ago and once I used normal steering, got drifting down, getting 'perfect drift', using the clutch (remember that thing PD!!) and handbrake and get some decent throw and catch going on with my g29.

I go back to GT (had to drive my old MR2!) and I'm all over the place. Drift, drift, drift, grip and fired off to the side.

What I did notice is that the throttle pedal on my g29 is almost on or off. I lift off a tiny fraction and my throttle drops off massively, it's probably causing the sudden grip ups .Real throttles don't work like that, I was out IRL playing in my Audi TT in the snow earlier so I know this for certain .

Gt sport is doing my drifting head in .

I bought Forza 7 about 10 days ago and once I used normal steering, got drifting down, getting 'perfect drift', using the clutch (remember that thing PD!!) and handbrake and get some decent throw and catch going on with my g29.

I go back to GT (had to drive my old MR2!) and I'm all over the place. Drift, drift, drift, grip and fired off to the side.

GTS lacks progressive tyre grip model, that's why it's so hard to drift, or fluidly drive MR, RR cars on the limit. Once the tyres lose grip it's like they have 20% grip and then they regain 100% grip instantaneously, which is why you mess up and fire off to the side.

While in real life, when exiting a corner in a slight drift the tyres regain grip progressively and you can fluidly stabilize the car and the steering wheel.

I tried only a few corners yesterday becasue of exitement for the first real driftcar in GT but was aborting the test soon since i was flipping so uncontrollably, it is just not near reality.
No real car is so unstable with only a little steering input. It still feels like cars have no mass. Also if you do accelerate in a straight and your car want to flip so hard all the time. Why? where do you see this in reality. My Driftcar doesnt do any of this stupid things. GT is not made for driving over the tyre limit at the moment. I hope they fix it.
Edit: I may try it again today evening with a setup. trying to make the car more stable and lazy.

I tried only a few corners yesterday becasue of exitement for the first real driftcar in GT but was aborting the test soon since i was flipping so uncontrollably, it is just not near reality.
No real car is so unstable with only a little steering input. It still feels like cars have no mass. Also if you do accelerate in a straight and your car want to flip so hard all the time. Why? where do you see this in reality. My Driftcar doesnt do any of this stupid things. GT is not made for driving over the tyre limit at the moment. I hope they fix it.
Edit: I may try it again today evening with a setup. trying to make the car more stable and lazy.
Are you using road car setting? Try use drift sheet setting

It would be nice if someone could do a 'how to' kind of training video for people who want to learn drifting in the current version.

I too have tried switching on the drift sheet, and while I noticed a bit of a difference, I still didn't 'feel' like I was accomplishing what I see in the videos.
I think I'm just sliding around instead of burning rubber and creating tire smoke :(

it's a pity there's now playground track, or at least tracks with big enough areas for learning drift basics like doing tight drift circles and figure 8s. Even though they took the main airfield area out of Forza (offline) it's still got enough space to learn to chuck it about .

GT needs a nice skidpan. Even an empty featureless piece of tarmac would do .

I've also gone back to sports hards and using a gear higher than I would in Forza and AC. The throttle modulation seems easier in the lower range of the rev counter and the car seems to break away much the same.

it's a pity there's now playground track, or at least tracks with big enough areas for learning drift basics like doing tight drift circles and figure 8s. Even though they took the main airfield area out of Forza (offline) it's still got enough space to learn to chuck it about .

GT needs a nice skidpan. Even an empty featureless piece of tarmac would do .

I've also gone back to sports hards and using a gear higher than I would in Forza and AC. The throttle modulation seems easier in the lower range of the rev counter and the car seems to break away much the same.

Suzuka. Before the back straight that leads up to 130R. Search the lobbys and you wil have mates to practice with too!

Its a huge piece of tarmac. :cheers:

Latest Posts

Back