Guns

• Thread starter Talentless
  • 5,167 comments

Which position on firearms is closest to your own?

• I support complete illegality of civilian ownership

Votes: 120 15.5%
  • I support strict control.

Votes: 244 31.5%
  • I support moderate control.

Votes: 164 21.2%
  • I support loose control.

Votes: 81 10.5%
  • I oppose control.

Votes: 139 17.9%
  • I am undecided.

Votes: 27 3.5%

• Total voters
R3V
So are you okay with letting them out to re-offend and potentially kill their SO but letting them have a gun is a big no no?
What slimy orifice did you pull this from?
R3V
It would be done at no cost* and proper training saves lives. Both in normal times or during unrest.

*Don't bother explaining that nothing is at no cost and the tax payers are paying for it bla bla bla. I know.
So if you're doing this thing that is just an exercise to give a piece of paper to everyone, why do it at all? Why not just legislate that everyone is by default "licenced" and save the costs of the entire thing?

You really haven't thought this through at all.
R3V
You'd be surprised how ignorant most people are concerning self defense and gun laws.
Oh, I know. You surprise me constantly.
R3V
Gun control falls squarely under the "tough on crime" ******** right wingers typically spew.
It can do, if the laws are formulated that way. It can also fall squarely under responsible possession and use of items that are recognised to be dangerous.

But don't let me get in the way of your narrative.
R3V
I've said it in this thread a long time ago I believe. People in the west will find out the hard way what the cost of gun control is.
You know other "western" countries have gun control, right? You know that basically all of them are stricter than the US, right?

I know people think Australia is a dystopia but usually that's because of our wildlife, not our gun control laws.
R3V
Also, voting rights aside, denying someone a right to defend himself using a gun could be worse than sending him to prison.
Only if your society is a dystopian hellhole where you regularly need to rely on a personal firearm for safety.

Perhaps a society that is that broken has issues beyond gun control, issues that could be addressed separately.
R3V
Oh and I'm politically very far left. Bernie is almost a right winger compared to me.
You might be economically a leftist, that hasn't really come up. But you're also staggeringly authoritarian.

Removing all rights from everyone who doesn't obey perfectly from society does not make you a libertarian. It makes you a totalitarian.

R3V
Ok so this is a person that you don't trust with a gun but is to be allowed to be "free". So we've thoroughly buried your original statemen that I picked on, and you've conceded that it was wrong, so now we're just talking about criminally convicted people. Which, as I said before, is a much better place to be because we can drop talking about kids, blind people, etc.
R3V
It's 3 AM where I live so I'll try my best again.

You have two "killers". One is a guy who accidentally reversed into a grandma. The other is a gun for hire who has killed many before in cold blood, confessed to it, volunteered to provide evidence, and was convincted. Why would you take away the rights from the first after he'd served his sentence, and why on earth would you let loose the latter?
Did I say I would? I don't remember saying I would or anything that implies that.
R3V
I'm not reconsidering anything.
You are, by moving the goalposts. I'm not complaining, not by a long shot. Your new position is WAY more reasonable. Still not great, but far more reasonable than it was. Your previous comment was just off-the-cuff and poorly written and it's good that you've recanted - even if you're pretending you didn't. It's good to be up front about these things, but even if you're not (and you're not), at least it's clear that you've moved off of that position.
R3V
The word "trust" should've cleared any doubt and you could've/should've asked for a clarification.
I have no idea why that would be the case. I don't follow.

R3V
One of two things should happen to that person:

A) You trust that he learned his lesson and will no longer beat women, then he's released from prison with all his rights restored.
B) A judge or jury think he's an irredeemable POS who will offend again and therefore should rot in a prison cell.

I'm guessing you're in favor an option C? Where a wife beater isn't sent to jail but instead walks freely with limited rights? Sorry, no. I don't like that. You can't rehab someone like that in the wild or with a ******** restraining order or whatever. Also, voting rights aside, denying someone a right to defend himself using a gun could be worse than sending him to prison.
Why on Earth would you think I'd be in favor of option "C". I created a hypothetical where someone was GUILTY of a crime and was GOING TO JAIL but didn't deserve a life sentence. The wife beater doesn't deserve a life sentence for beating someone up, but I wouldn't trust him with a gun. This hypothetical is not hard to follow.
R3V
Every piece of technology that can make life better will also make it more dangerous. You have to live with the risks.
Except you don't. This is a non-sequitur. Your made-up statement about technology which isn't correct does not prove that gun control efforts are bad. I honestly don't know why you find this convincing.
R3V
They're not difficult to produce. They just wouldn't show what your government wants them to show. That's why we're not seeing them.
Nnnnnooooooooo... the US doesn't have much gun control so that study can't exist.
R3V
Not going to comment on whether your gun control is too much or too little atm. I'll just tell you that Saudi Arabia is far less strict than the US federal law when it comes to firearms, let alone states like Cali/NY.
Ok great.
R3V
Not really. What I understood is that you don't like "2nd amendment people" and the 2nd amendment. This is a tangent in any case I'd rather not get into.
Given that I'm a gun owner and don't want to see the 2nd amendment repealed, that seems like a bad understanding.
R3V
Banning private sales is* the first step towards that. You already have a defacto gun registry. You know what comes next, right?
Where do you imagine his stuff from. I'm not for banning private sales, and I'm not for whatever it is you think comes next. I'm not just in favor of never letting anyone out of jail who can't be trusted with a gun. That's a lot of people locked up unnecessarily.
R3V
I don't really care which group is in favor of guns and which one isn't. I also don't like what this sounds like, if I understood you correctly. It sounds like you're saying Trump bad, Trump voters bad, Trump voters want guns, therefore gun control good?
No.

I'm saying that the argument that we need guns to prevent a tyrannical government is being put forward by people trying to install a tyrannical government, and would presumably do so with their guns. That's it. There is no "therefore gun control good" here. You invented that to try to make nonsense out of what I said.
R3V
For the record, I'm not a US citizen nor have I ever visited. I'm also not a fan of Trump being president despite him being so good to us and making US politics the most entertaining part of my life for about 6 years. Oh and I'm politically very far left. Bernie is almost a right winger compared to me. So please, do not confuse me with MTG and other morons you have larping as politicians.
I don' think I have. You, on the other hand, have made a lot of incorrect assumptions about me.

Not one person responding to you has advocated for banning private sales. Not one!
That's what "closing the gun show loophole" and "universal background checks" means when it comes to firearm law in America. If you don't even know that I'm done.

So if you're doing this thing that is just an exercise to give a piece of paper to everyone, why do it at all? Why not just legislate that everyone is by default "licenced" and save the costs of the entire thing?
Same reason you don't give everyone a driver's license by default. I want everyone to know their local firearm laws and have the proper training to use them safely. How many more times do I have to say this?

And no by everyone I don't include blind people or whatever else you're going to pick on.

You know other "western" countries have gun control, right? You know that basically all of them are stricter than the US, right?
"Basically all of them" is a stretch, but yeah I'm aware the US is way more relaxed than the UK. What's your point? You're still going to pay for it eventually.

Only if your society is a dystopian hellhole where you regularly need to rely on a personal firearm for safety.
In a society that's not a hellhole, people wouldn't rely on guns to commit crimes in the first place so strict gun control is pointless.

You might be economically a leftist, that hasn't really come up. But you're also staggeringly authoritarian.
Yeah I'm such an authoritarian I want the masses to have guns they can revolt and overthrow me with.

Removing all rights from everyone who doesn't obey perfectly from society does not make you a libertarian. It makes you a totalitarian.
Strawman.

Ok so this is a person that you don't trust with a gun but is to be allowed to be "free". So we've thoroughly buried your original statemen that I picked on, and you've conceded that it was wrong, so now we're just talking about criminally convicted people. Which, as I said before, is a much better place to be because we can drop talking about kids, blind people, etc.
It buried the absurd interpretation of what you and others thought my statement was. But sure let's move on.

I have no idea why that would be the case. I don't follow.
When I said "trust someone with a gun", that implies trusting the person's character/motive NOT his skill level with a gun. "Trust" is not relevant when you're talking about someone passing a skill test. You either pass it or you don't. If I'm not explaining it right, let's just move on.

The wife beater doesn't deserve a life sentence for beating someone up, but I wouldn't trust him with a gun. This hypothetical is not hard to follow.
That's your opinion. I'd say it should be left to a judge/jury what the sentencing looks like. If someone had a long history of abusing multiple different women for example, and brutally so, I wouldn't trust him not do it again. I don't think it's necessarily the crime that determines the sentence, rather how much you trust the indivudual not to re-offend.

Except you don't. This is a non-sequitur. Your made-up statement about technology which isn't correct does not prove that gun control efforts are bad. I honestly don't know why you find this convincing.
Making it easy to commit crime should not be grounds to restrict basic rights.

Nnnnnooooooooo... the US doesn't have much gun control so that study can't exist.
I started this by asking a simple question. What percentage of homicides were committed with guns sold privately? This should be an easy answer. Whenever a gun is found at a crime scene, its serial number should be traced back to whoever bought it from a dealer and go from there, assuming it wasn't stolen/leaked from military/LE or smuggled out of Mexico.

A hipoint with serial number CAC01 is found at a crime scene.
It's traced back to Person A buying it from a dealer.
Person A says he sold it to person B.
Person B says he sold it to person C.

If the gun wasn't reported stolen and it lands in a crime scene, we get the answer to my question. Yet, we don't have it because they pad this number with guns reported stolen and other nonsense.

I'm open to being wrong about this but I can't see a good reason why we don't have a solid number or even an estimate of % of privately sold guns ending up in a murder.

Given that I'm a gun owner and don't want to see the 2nd amendment repealed, that seems like a bad understanding.
I don't know you. I'll take your word for it that you don't intend on repealing the 2nd amendment, but just because someone's a gun owner automatically make you pro-gun. There's a lot of elists who think peasants shouldn't have guns. Wasn't there a point at which gun control laws were introduced specifically to restric black people from owning guns? Those were "every man is created equal" gun owners who wanted that.

Where do you imagine his stuff from. I'm not for banning private sales, and I'm not for whatever it is you think comes next. I'm not just in favor of never letting anyone out of jail who can't be trusted with a gun. That's a lot of people locked up unnecessarily.
So you're against "closing the gunshow loophole"? If you are, wth are we disagreeing about? The jail thing is my own utopian vision and really isn't the point of discussion. It was literally one sentence in the middle of a paragraph about backgorund checks.

I'm saying that the argument that we need guns to prevent a tyrannical government is being put forward by people trying to install a tyrannical government, and would presumably do so with their guns. That's it. There is no "therefore gun control good" here. You invented that to try to make nonsense out of what I said.
I'm aware some nutjobs share my arguments for gun ownership. What do you want me to do? Let go of my beliefs? I'm curious why you want to keep the 2nd amendment if not to prevent a tyrannical government, by the way.

I don' think I have. You, on the other hand, have made a lot of incorrect assumptions about me.
I asked questions and put some qualifiers. At least I didn't twist what you said into something that cannot be possibly thought by someone whose IQ allows him to use a computer then called you stupid for it.

edit

I know I said let's move on but I can't get over how abusrd this whole thing is. It took me several posts to realize what you were on about by saying I made contradictory statements. Yet, that ridiculous interpretation is what you immediately went for without asking questions to clarify.

Last edited:
Victoria Spartz is on the case. Merrick Garland and his ATF are infringing her rights to sell her (hopefully hypothetical) collection of 500 guns without any kind of due diligence check:

Last edited:
R3V
The politicians are but yeah. You guys (the voters) are split down the middle. On exactly half the issues, republicans are mostly right (and technically left leaning). On the other half, democrats are. It's a bit meaningless to call them left wing or right wing tbh but I was going along with your labels. Anyway I digress.

edit

I'm aware that Republican politicians pander to gun owners and pretend to be anti gun control. My earlier post about tough on crime stands. It's the same stupid idea right wingers had about drugs. This reminds me.

Gun control guys, how did banning drugs work out in America? What happened with all those restrictions?
Republicans don't pretend to be anti-gun control since they actually push policies that are against any form of gun control at all. Whether they actually believe it or are just doing it for money and votes is another question, but in terms of policy they enact, they're very much against gun control of any kind. And yes, they're against crime in some sense, but it's more about who commits the crime. A poor person doing the crime? Straight to jail. A rich person doing a crime? A slap on the wrist. A minority doing a crime? Mag dump.

If you look at the Republican party currently, there's a belief that crimes are more or less only committed by minorities, illegal immigrants, and poor people.

As for banning drugs, that didn't work, but unbanning them isn't working either.
R3V
Everyone sort of agrees that the social media age started with facebook (not even myspace) and the first iphone.
Not really. I'm not sure how old you are, but Facebook wasn't even a novel idea when it came up. Hell, GTP is older than Facebook.

That's not to say social media didn't play a role in school shootings. Columbine has been linked to AOL chat rooms.
R3V
As for school shootings prior, I remember looking up the incidents and finding that they're mostly just targeted homicides that happened to have taken place in a school. When people talk about school shootings, they mean the indiscriminate, heavy casualty ones like Columbine. Filter for that and the picture becomes even clearer.
A vast majority of school shootings are targeted homicides or homicides that take place on school grounds, not during school hours. So if a drug deal went wrong at 2 am in a school parking lot, that's statistically considered a school shooting. But mass school shootings in America date back to 1794 in Pennslyvania at the Enoch Brown School. The deadliest violence to occur in a school was in 1927 in Bath Twp, MI, when 45 died and 58 were injured in a combination of a shoot and bombing.

R3V
Same reason you don't give everyone a driver's license by default. I want everyone to know their local firearm laws and have the proper training to use them safely. How many more times do I have to say this?

And no by everyone I don't include blind people or whatever else you're going to pick on.
What I'm gonna pick on is the people who cannot or do not learn their local firearm laws, and do not pick up the skills from training to be able to use them safely.

I assume that you're not going to give them a licence, right? Of course not, that's your whole point of not giving them out to people by default. So that you can withhold it from people who fail to meet the criteria that you've set as a minimum standard for being competent to own and operate a firearm.

Congratulations, you've just created a system of restricted gun licencing. Well done.

You see now why people accuse you of not thinking things through? It was obvious to most of us that the whole point of such a licencing system was to restrict who has access to firearms, but you needed your own idea spelled out for you.
R3V
"Basically all of them" is a stretch, but yeah I'm aware the US is way more relaxed than the UK. What's your point? You're still going to pay for it eventually.
I can't think of a western country that has firearms laws that are looser than the US. Can you?

As for paying for it eventually, are we just? Because Australians by and large are pretty fine with it. You get the odd person moaning, but mostly people think the restrictions are reasonable. If you have a purpose for which you need a gun, you can probably get one without too much trouble although it might take a while the first time. If you just want one in case you one day feel like you need to shoot someone, we consider that to not be a reasonable purpose.

Comparing our homicide rate to that of the USA, I think we'll be fine. But by all means feel free to tell me how we're going to "pay for it eventually". I'm not seeing it at all, but maybe you thought Mad Max was a documentary or something.
R3V
Strawman.
I mean, it would be if you hadn't said that anyone who can't be trusted with a gun shouldn't be allowed on the streets. That was you, right? Let me check.
R3V
No person outside of a prison cell of any country should be restricted from purchaisng guns from anywhere or anyone they like. If you're going to impose any restriction, you need to do a meaningful study showing a direct causal effect of a great harm to the public. If I had it my way from scratch I'd have mandatory basic training during/after high school with a license granted upon completion. Anyone who can't be trusted with a gun shouldn't be on the street to begin with.
Yep, that's you. Huh. Funny that. Mandatory gun training too, that seems very not-authoritarian of you to make every citizen train in the use of weapons.

Definitely just another tree hugger here, fellas.

R3V
When I said "trust someone with a gun", that implies trusting the person's character/motive NOT his skill level with a gun.
That was how I interpreted it.

Edit:

Oh I see, you thought when I said I don't want someone who can't safely use a gun to have a gun that I meant skill level. I can see how you thought that. I meant it in a broader respect, someone who can have a gun without harming others - either through lack of skill, negligence, or through willful harm. I was attempting to encompass all possible unsafe behavior with the word "safe", not just willingness to harm but also not just lack of skill.
R3V
That's your opinion. I'd say it should be left to a judge/jury what the sentencing looks like. If someone had a long history of abusing multiple different women for example, and brutally so, I wouldn't trust him not do it again. I don't think it's necessarily the crime that determines the sentence, rather how much you trust the indivudual not to re-offend.
You don't just get to re-imagine the hypothetical to make it easier to answer. Sure, if it was easy to say he should be locked up forever, then you don't need to address the problem. The problem is crimes that SHOULDN'T be a life sentence being required to be a life sentence because of the absurd requirement that only people who can be trusted with firearms should be allowed out of jail.

So back to the hypothetical, guy beats up his wife once and goes to jail for assault and battery. Guy gets let out after his sentence but shouldn't be trusted with a gun. Where's the problem? You obviously have a problem with this.

Do you also have a problem with the concept of "parole"? This is a curtailment of rights for someone who is able to be outside of jail. You could make the same absurd black and white argument about parole that you make about guns. "They shouldn't be let out if we don't trust them. If they need a parole officer, they should be locked up". All of this just amounts to locking up more people, people that would otherwise go about their business and not be a drain on society.

When someone gets let out on parole, or unable to buy a gun, or unable to go near a school, or whatever restrictions make sense for their crime, it can very much be win win. Because we relax the number of people we house in prisons and we also get a contributing member of society back who can have second chance.
R3V
Making it easy to commit crime should not be grounds to restrict basic rights.
Sure.
R3V
I started this by asking a simple question. What percentage of homicides were committed with guns sold privately?
Surely you can google it right? I don't know the answer, also kinda don't care. If you want me to care, you'll have to motivate that.
R3V
I don't know you. I'll take your word for it that you don't intend on repealing the 2nd amendment, but just because someone's a gun owner automatically make you pro-gun. There's a lot of elists who think peasants shouldn't have guns. Wasn't there a point at which gun control laws were introduced specifically to restric black people from owning guns? Those were "every man is created equal" gun owners who wanted that.
You won't be surprised to discover that I do, actually, think that black people should be able to own guns. I have no idea why you went down this path.
R3V
So you're against "closing the gunshow loophole"?
No. That should definitely be closed. That's not banning private sale though.

R3V
If you are, wth are we disagreeing about? The jail thing is my own utopian vision and really isn't the point of discussion. It was literally one sentence in the middle of a paragraph about backgorund checks.
It's ridiculous, and that's what we're disagreeing about.
R3V
I'm aware some nutjobs share my arguments for gun ownership. What do you want me to do? Let go of my beliefs?
Well you should realize that this is not a great argument for gun ownership given that the people who would use it to overthrow their government want to install a tyrannical one instead of a representative one.
R3V
I'm curious why you want to keep the 2nd amendment if not to prevent a tyrannical government, by the way.
As is outlined in D.C. v Heller, the 2nd amendment represents a basic right of self defense.
R3V
I know I said let's move on but I can't get over how abusrd this whole thing is. It took me several posts to realize what you were on about by saying I made contradictory statements. Yet, that ridiculous interpretation is what you immediately went for without asking questions to clarify.
Well... to be clear, your current stand is still absurd. Just better. You made a statement that was broad and sweeping, and I explained that you must not have thought it through and that you would recant quickly. You're trying to blame me for misunderstanding, but it was right there for all to read. You should have taken my hint and just recanted, rephrased, maybe apologized for saying something so blatantly absurd, and moved on. Instead you kinda did this double-down "I stand by it and won't change my mind" but also "I don't actually stand behind it because you'd have to be an idiot to think that" blah blah. You're not doing a good job of saving face.

Admitting when you're wrong and backing off is an important character trait. You had a chance to do it and you passed it by. It's a worse look, even though in the moment it feels like it'll work out better for you. No big deal, we'll all move on. But you should take a lesson from this one. It's not always bad to just admit a mistake. You made a mistake, it's ok. But you should own it.

Last edited:
R3V
That's what "closing the gun show loophole" and "universal background checks" means when it comes to firearm law in America. If you don't even know that I'm done.
No, it doesn't... and universal background checks has only just now been mentioned... by you.

What I did say is that I think any guns sold should require the person buying to be subject to background checks, or words to that affect, but I didn't say private sales should be banned. I don't see any reason why private sales with background checks shouldn't be allowed.

So how is this advocating for a private sales ban?

Last edited:
Victoria Spartz is on the case. Merrick Garland and his ATF are infringing her rights to sell her (hopefully hypothetical) collection of 500 guns without any kind of due diligence check:

Dishonest tweet. You, yourself, have correctly described what she's saying. She's concerned about her right to sell her guns privately, not merely owning them, as the tweet suggests.

The concern is valid as the ATF is pushing, IIRC, something along the lines of anyone selling 5 guns within a time period is a gun dealer. This will land you in prison since you don't have a federal license to sell guns.

Republicans don't pretend to be anti-gun control since they actually push policies that are against any form of gun control at all.
Trump and his congress banned bump stocks. The turtle let a gun control bill pass the senate 2 years ago. They're just as pro gun control as democrats but don't want to push as hard as to not anger the voters. I believe the 2A crowd call them rino's.

As for banning drugs, that didn't work, but unbanning them isn't working either.
I'm not going into the specifics of the drug war in this. Let's assume you're right. Neither of them worked. You'd rather criminalizing than not, knowing it doesn't work?

Not really. I'm not sure how old you are, but Facebook wasn't even a novel idea when it came up. Hell, GTP is older than Facebook.
I never suggested facebook was novel. Even Myspace predates it and I mentioned it. I also don't consider forums and GTP "social media". This is a separate discussion and beyond the point, though. When social media is discussed, even if you include AOL chats from my childhood, what's refered to is the instagram age which came not long after high speed internet and "smart" phones became a common enough. Jonathan Haidt seems to agree with me and he's far more qualified.

PS I'm in my early 30s if anyone else is curious.
But mass school shootings in America date back to 1794 in Pennslyvania at the Enoch Brown School. The deadliest violence to occur in a school was in 1927 in Bath Twp, MI, when 45 died and 58 were injured in a combination of a shoot and bombing.
Can you define a mass school shooting and put the annual number on a graph? I've done it once a few years ago but didn't save it/can't find it. My criteria was indiscriminate* shooting killing at least 4 or 5, can't remember. What I do remember is the number being very low until 2008 or so then it started climbing rapidly, coinciding with the rise of teen suicide. This, combined with the fact that firearm laws are far stricter than they were prior, tell me it has little to nothing to do with guns or gun laws. I'm not solely blaming social media anyway.

*not targeting specific teachers or students

Congratulations, you've just created a system of restricted gun licencing. Well done.
Thank you.

It was obvious to most of us that the whole point of such a licencing system was to restrict who has access to firearms, but you needed your own idea spelled out for you.
Lol what? Have I ever said there should be zero restrictions on anyone if I had it my way? I don't know if you've been arguing with a strawman you created or you mixed up what I think should happen in America with their current laws, and what I think I'd implement if I ruled my own country.

I can't think of a western country that has firearms laws that are looser than the US. Can you?
Depends on how pedantic you are with "looser" and "western". Czech and Switzerland come to mind.

In America you have you have to fill a form at a dealer, which goes through a system and then approves/disapproves the sale. This is repeated at every transaction. In Switzerland you sort of do the same, but only once to aquire a permit. Czech makes you do a written exam and a shooting test. This is actually similar to what I'd like to implement but they don't offer any training let alone mandate it.

Then you add the restrictions on the type of guns you own. America has a restriction on silencers, for example. Also "short barrel" rifles and shotguns were mistakenly (or deliberately if you like conspiracy theories) left in the firearms act from 100 years ago. They were meant to ban handguns but after that wasn't going to get through, they removed some parts of the bill and left out others. This meant that rifles with reasonable barrel lengths (5"-14.5") have a whole new process, wait time and travel restrictions on them.

I'd rather have the Swiss or Czech laws than America's. IMO they're looser, especially with the barrel length and silencers since that's what any reasonable person would prefer to use.

If you have a purpose for which you need a gun, you can probably get one without too much trouble although it might take a while the first time.
That's not entirely true. There's restrictions on the type of firearms you're allowed to own. Let's say you'd like to do competitive shooting with a 7" Sig Rattler LT, are you allowed to own one in Australia? And can you own multiple guns for different types of competitions as well as different hunting rifles for different animals, which require different cartridges?

feel free to tell me how we're going to "pay for it eventually".
I don't know if you're in an "undesirable" group or not, but say you were, you'd need it. One day you could have a government who wants to do an Israel and wipe out abos or blacks or whatever group they don't like.

Yep, that's you. Huh. Funny that. Mandatory gun training too, that seems very not-authoritarian of you to make every citizen train in the use of weapons.
Still don't have a a funny comeback or logical response to what I said. Why would I, as an authoritarian, train and arm people who could depose or kill me when I'm no longer popular?

So back to the hypothetical, guy beats up his wife once and goes to jail for assault and battery. Guy gets let out after his sentence but shouldn't be trusted with a gun. Where's the problem? You obviously have a problem with this.
I do. For one, he'll likely beat up his wife again. If the case wasn't severe or it was uncharacteristic of the person, I don't see why you'd jail him to begin with* or let him out with all rights restored after the sentence.

I mean, this whole red flag thing is based on the stats that most violent criminals happen to be domestic abusers. If you're restricting guns based on a statistical correlation, you could use the re-offending statistics to keep them away forever as well.

* I'm not excusing any sort of battery, but I've known guys who were victims of physical abuse by their wives and one day snapped and returned the favor. I wouldn't put those guys in the same category as P Diddy.

Do you also have a problem with the concept of "parole"? This is a curtailment of rights for someone who is able to be outside of jail. You could make the same absurd black and white argument about parole that you make about guns.
Yes. The only positive of parole is making it a carrot for people inside that may keep them in good behavior.
All of this just amounts to locking up more people, people that would otherwise go about their business and not be a drain on society.
Not really. Most of them will eventually be let out. A few will remain inside forever, as they should.

When someone gets let out on parole, or unable to buy a gun, or unable to go near a school, or whatever restrictions make sense for their crime, it can very much be win win.
Can you give me examples? I don't think Jack the Ripper should be let out of prison on with the condition he doesn't buy a knife. I also don't think a child rapist should be let out as long as he doesn't go near a school.

we also get a contributing member of society back who can have second chance.
Again, I repeat, I'm not saying everyone should be in forever. I do believe in second chances and rehabilitation. I think it should be determined during sentencing.

Or, and I'm aware this is somewhat impractical, allowing relitigation of their crime every X number of years. Something like an infinute use of appeals with a new jury every time.
Surely you can google it right? I don't know the answer, also kinda don't care. If you want me to care, you'll have to motivate that.
As the guy I asked responded with, there's enough "research" out there to prove either side. Also the burden is on you, and anyone who wants restrict freedoms, to demonstrate why it's a good idea.
You won't be surprised to discover that I do, actually, think that black people should be able to own guns. I have no idea why you went down this path.
You implied that just because you own guns, it means you're pro 2A. It doesn't. I pointed out a historical exmaple. I already said I'll take your word for it and did not imply you're a confederate flag type. No need to defend yourself.

No. That should definitely be closed. That's not banning private sale though.
It is. See my response to FPV below.

Well you should realize that this is not a great argument for gun ownership given that the people who would use it to overthrow their government want to install a tyrannical one instead of a representative one.
You're concerned about 5-15% of the population trying to do that? Arm the rest and let them **** around and find out, as they say.

If they ever become the majority, they'll just change the laws democratically so I don't see the problem.

As is outlined in D.C. v Heller, the 2nd amendment represents a basic right of self defense.
With all due respect, **** your supreme court. They keep going from one extreme to another on a lot of issues. Bruen had other ideas did they not?

Afghanistan, Iraq and Ukraine proved how hard you can make it for an occupier to occupy you. Having a country with armed citizens will force an occupier to choose between total mass destruction (which is a war crime) or taking huge losses of their own.

You're trying to blame me for misunderstanding, but it was right there for all to read.
Not for the misunderstanding, but rather how you reacted to it. Can't remember if it was even you in the initial responses but some jumped on the ridiculous interpretation before asking me to clarify. I did see how it could be misinterpreted after your previous post made me re-read, but it's such a far fetched interpretation that one really shouldn't just believe it to be someone's opinion. If you take out that one sentence from the paragraph, you could see clearly see what I was talking about.

You should have taken my hint and just recanted
Again, what you guys were suggesting was so ridiculous I didn't even understand where it was coming from. It's only as I typed "Ability to use the gun safely and trusting someone not to commit a crime with it are two separate things" in my response to you that I thought to myself "wait, did I say something that could imply they're the same thing?" and went back to check.

You're not doing a good job of saving face.
I'm not trying to. I don't care what people think of my opinions, as long as they're not misrepresented.
Admitting when you're wrong and backing off is an important character trait. You had a chance to do it and you passed it by. It's a worse look, even though in the moment it feels like it'll work out better for you. No big deal, we'll all move on. But you should take a lesson from this one. It's not always bad to just admit a mistake. You made a mistake, it's ok. But you should own it.
You mean like this?

R3V
Wait, ~130kg heavier and less downforce? How is this better than what we have? We're not saving the environment within GT.

edit

NVM google gave me results for the Ferrari F1 car despite typing "super formula 2023". Teaches me not to be lazy on 3 hours of sleep and no food for almost a day.

See what prompted me to say this:
I've not seen any numbers for the Dallara SF23's weight, but there's nothing to suggest it's going to weigh 20% more than the SF19's 670kg.

Are you sure you're not confusing the 798kg minimum weight Ferrari SF-23 with the Dallara SF23?
I don't even like the guy but he asked me to check nicely. It may have even been sarcastic but I did make a mistake and he didn't immediately call me names for it.

No, it doesn't... and universal background checks has only just now been mentioned... by you.
Did you forget the post I quoted which started this whole thing? Here:

Four weeks later and people are already complaining. There apparently are some states who believe that this law is violating the second amendment, which I disagree with. As someone who has lived in a household with firearms, I believe enforcing background checks doesn't infringe on your ability to obtain a firearm rather making it harder for low-level criminals to access firearms they otherwise shouldn't be able to have as easy access to. The fact that (I'm assuming) most of the people protesting against this law are legal gun owners makes this even more unheard of. It's absurd how far people only seeing in black-and-white will go.

^^ "gunshow loophole" = "universal background checks" = restricting private sales

What I did say is that I think any guns sold should require the person buying to be subject to background checks, or words to that affect, but I didn't say private sales should be banned. I don't see any reason why private sales with background checks shouldn't be allowed.
Read your own words. Who's going to do the background check? Only gun dealers can take the form you fill and run it through NICS (background check system). If you have to go through a dealer, it's no longer a private sale. Imagine you want to sell your car to your sibling and the law says you have to go through a car dealer. Is it still a private sale? This shouldn't even be debatable. If you'd like to ban private sales just say so. Oh and again, I haven't even gotten into the gun registry aspect of it.

Last edited:
R3V
I do. For one, he'll likely beat up his wife again. If the case wasn't severe or it was uncharacteristic of the person, I don't see why you'd jail him to begin with* or let him out with all rights restored after the sentence.

I mean, this whole red flag thing is based on the stats that most violent criminals happen to be domestic abusers. If you're restricting guns based on a statistical correlation, you could use the re-offending statistics to keep them away forever as well.

* I'm not excusing any sort of battery, but I've known guys who were victims of physical abuse by their wives and one day snapped and returned the favor. I wouldn't put those guys in the same category as P Diddy.
Ooof

So your position here is that he should be locked away forever. Now before you say it, I know you said this:

R3V
Again, I repeat, I'm not saying everyone should be in forever. I do believe in second chances and rehabilitation. I think it should be determined during sentencing.
The reason you're having to repeat is because you keep implying that that is exactly what you're requiring. Remember, this hypothetical is:

Guy beats up his wife ONCE, goes to jail, serves his time, and is let out.

That's the scenario. You tried to dodge the scenario by inferring from this that it would definitely happen again and so he should be locked away forever. And if not, why is he in jail at all. The answer is because he did it ONCE. Once is enough to put someone in jail. But not for life. You continue to try to avoid this scenario, I think for some reason you'd like to pretend that it doesn't happen. People are not good or evil. Even people who beat up their wives once in a hypothetical. They're grey, all of them. This means that if someone loses their cool and hits someone, it shouldn't be a life sentence. But, at the same time, that person has demonstrated that they're a danger and something needs to be done in the immediate.

You want to flip this on and off like a light switch. He's either garbage and should never see the light of day again, or he should be let out and handed a gun and given full trust. That's not how any of this works. People make mistakes AND learn. Some of them don't, some of them do. It's not right to make it a life sentence or hand him a gun and see if he shoots his wife next time instead of beating her up. I'm surprised this is a foreign concept to you.

R3V
Yes. The only positive of parole is making it a carrot for people inside that may keep them in good behavior.
How can you ever have the confidence to let someone out if you don't have training wheels? Just wait until they re-offend? Just let them out? Why is this restriction (that parole is not acceptable) in place to begin with? Because they have rights? They did, right up until they committed that crime, and then they lost some rights when they were imprisoned, that's what it means to be imprisoned, you lose some of your rights.

Your right to walk through public does not need to be tied to your right to own a gun in the way you propose. There is no logical reason for this requirement other than for some reason you like it. People have many rights, and they lose some of them when they commit crimes. Not all of them... we don't execute people for beating someone up, and we don't give them a life sentence. They lose SOME of them.

R3V
Can you give me examples? I don't think Jack the Ripper should be let out of prison on with the condition he doesn't buy a knife. I also don't think a child rapist should be let out as long as he doesn't go near a school.
These are your examples for me... a serial killer and a child rapist. There are many forms of "child rapist", including the 18 year old that had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend. And there are many things you might get in trouble for regarding children that are short of rape... such as exposing yourself to a child, or groping, or downloading child pornography. When you decide to go with a black and white example, you should ask yourself whether it's appropriate for the question you're answering. In this case, it's not. I'm asking you to consider something short of life in prison but also short of fully trusted. I'm asking you to consider a grey area.

Someone incarcerated for exposing themselves in public or to children should be let out at some point (that's not a life in prison type of crime), and should also probably not be allowed near a school. Right? You think they should be allowed to hang out near schools?

You want me to give you examples of people who have only committed one offense?

This link says it's half of people who are released from prison will be arrested again. That might sound really high to you, but it means a lot of people walked free and stayed free. That's good for everyone. Of the people re-arrested or re-offending in some way (like parole violation), many of them will not be incarcerated permanently, and some of them will not have even committed the crime they were arrested for the 2nd time and will be set free again.

R3V
Or, and I'm aware this is somewhat impractical, allowing relitigation of their crime every X number of years. Something like an infinute use of appeals with a new jury every time.
Yea that's a bad idea for so many reasons, but it takes us far afield.
R3V
As the guy I asked responded with, there's enough "research" out there to prove either side. Also the burden is on you, and anyone who wants restrict freedoms, to demonstrate why it's a good idea.
Well then the burden is on you. I'm saying they should be let out but not given a gun. You're saying lock them up if they can't be trusted with a gun. You're the one advocating for additional restriction of freedom.

Edit: To be super clear here, I'm advocating for more leniency than you. For the person who cannot be trusted with a gun, I say they should have some of their freedom, you say they should not.
R3V
It is. See my response to FPV below.
That is not "banning" private sale. You're doing another sidestep instead of acknowledging your mistake. Let's investigate:

R3V
^^ "gunshow loophole" = "universal background checks" = restricting private sales

Look at this! Now we're saying it's "restricting" instead of "banning". Yes, I would agree that requiring a background check for private sale is RESTRICTING private sale. But it's not banning private sale.

R3V
You're concerned about 5-15% of the population trying to do that? Arm the rest and let them **** around and find out, as they say.

Yea, I am. The "rest" generally don't want guns, and they don't want to get into a shootout with the 5-15% that you're talking about to prevent a tyrannical government. To make matters worse, the idea is that the 5-15% use guns to install a tyrannical government at which point they control the military. I don't think arming some anti-gun folks in los angeles is going to do much good against the US military.

So... this sounds like a bad idea to me.

R3V
If they ever become the majority, they'll just change the laws democratically so I don't see the problem.

A tyrannical government is one that does not respect rights. Even if democratically installed, it's not to be tolerated. See my signature for more information.

R3V
With all due respect, **** your supreme court. They keep going from one extreme to another on a lot of issues. Bruen had other ideas did they not?

Spoken like a proper authoritarian - base your information on trust of the source rather than what is being said. Instead, you should take each argument on its merits and use your brain to figure out whether they make sense. Our supreme court has made some insane arguments and awful decisions. Heller was not one of them.

R3V
Afghanistan, Iraq and Ukraine proved how hard you can make it for an occupier to occupy you. Having a country with armed citizens will force an occupier to choose between total mass destruction (which is a war crime) or taking huge losses of their own.

Occupation is not the concern right now. The concern is overthrow. Making it any easier to arm the people trying to overthrow seems like a bad idea.

R3V
Not for the misunderstanding, but rather how you reacted to it.

I reacted to it by explaining that you'd quickly realize it was a mistake and recant (which you didn't). I'm not sure what else you were looking for.

R3V
but it's such a far fetched interpretation that one really shouldn't just believe it to be someone's opinion

There are a lot of those coming from your account, not just that one.

R3V
Read your own words. Who's going to do the background check? Only gun dealers can take the form you fill and run it through NICS (background check system). If you have to go through a dealer, it's no longer a private sale. Imagine you want to sell your car to your sibling and the law says you have to go through a car dealer. Is it still a private sale? This shouldn't even be debatable. If you'd like to ban private sales just say so. Oh and again, I haven't even gotten into the gun registry aspect of it.

Requiring a background check for sale is not the same thing as banning private sale. This should be straightforward to understand.

Last edited:
If rich people had to pay their fair share of taxes then maybe they wouldn’t be able to get so unbelievably rich as to feel entitled, lawless, and try to get away with horrible things. I say we keep them grounded by making them actually work for their money.

Last edited:
R3V
Lol what? Have I ever said there should be zero restrictions on anyone if I had it my way? I don't know if you've been arguing with a strawman you created or you mixed up what I think should happen in America with their current laws, and what I think I'd implement if I ruled my own country.
Jesus Christ, bro. It's right there.

Danoff's right, you simply can't admit when you said something stupid that you didn't mean. You have to try and make out like you were right all along and it's everyone else's fault somehow.
R3V
No person outside of a prison cell of any country should be restricted from purchaisng guns from anywhere or anyone they like.

R3V
That's not entirely true. There's restrictions on the type of firearms you're allowed to own. Let's say you'd like to do competitive shooting with a 7" Sig Rattler LT, are you allowed to own one in Australia? And can you own multiple guns for different types of competitions as well as different hunting rifles for different animals, which require different cartridges?
If there's a legitimate competitive scene for the 7" Sig Rattler LT and not just you wanting an excuse to blast stuff with some random weapon, then absolutely.

Yes, you can own multiple guns for different competitions or different types of hunting, provided that you can demonstrate that you have a genuine need to use them. It's not that hard, if you would actually use the gun for a reasonable purpose you can probably get the gun. If you just want it because pew pew make your weenie go uppies then probably not.
R3V
I don't know if you're in an "undesirable" group or not, but say you were, you'd need it. One day you could have a government who wants to do an Israel and wipe out abos or blacks or whatever group they don't like.
The "government" is far better equipped than the public will ever be. They have automatic weapons, tanks, missiles, weaponised drones and aircraft. They have training and strategy and command structures. They have stockpiles of equipment and food and ammunition and fuel in defensible bases.

If they want us wiped out, we're gonna get wiped out.

As you can see from Palestine, the weapons that they can smuggle in and make in garages are doing **** all to stop the incredibly well equipped and trained Israeli army from slaughtering them. This isn't 1776, the weapons that an individual can reasonably own are largely useless against a mobilised modern national-level military. You're not going to win, you're just going to make sure that the country is destroyed when the military has to mobilise against it's own people and you're going to make sure that a whole lot of people die.

No matter how terrible you think the government is, going head to head with them in armed conflict is incredibly stupid if you have any intention of actually making the country a better place.

So given that it doesn't matter in that situation, why not choose the gun laws that make life safer and easier the rest of the time? Again, you seem to be assuming that everyone is living in a dystopia and should plan as such.
R3V
Still don't have a a funny comeback or logical response to what I said. Why would I, as an authoritarian, train and arm people who could depose or kill me when I'm no longer popular?
The obvious answer would be because you've got to get into power before you can worry about being deposed. Is that too logical for you?
R3V
I'm not trying to. I don't care what people think of my opinions, as long as they're not misrepresented.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

R3V
Trump and his congress banned bump stocks. The turtle let a gun control bill pass the senate 2 years ago. They're just as pro gun control as democrats but don't want to push as hard as to not anger the voters. I believe the 2A crowd call them rino's.
No, they aren't, and it shows how much you don't know about American politics if you think Republicans are just as pro-gun control as Democrats. Some Republicans might support some gun control legislation (like banning bump stocks), but for the most part, they block gun control legislation. It's more present at the state level than the federal level, though. As for the voters, it's hard to say, most voters regardless of party favour gun control of some kind but that doesn't always translate into who gets voted in.
R3V
I never suggested facebook was novel. Even Myspace predates it and I mentioned it. I also don't consider forums and GTP "social media". This is a separate discussion and beyond the point, though. When social media is discussed, even if you include AOL chats from my childhood, what's refered to is the instagram age which came not long after high speed internet and "smart" phones became a common enough. Jonathan Haidt seems to agree with me and he's far more qualified.

PS I'm in my early 30s if anyone else is curious.
GTP is absolutely social media. Internet forums or BBS are probably the oldest form of internet social media. If you're just going to ignore a large part of something, then sure you can make whatever idea you have fit.
R3V
Can you define a mass school shooting and put the annual number on a graph? I've done it once a few years ago but didn't save it/can't find it. My criteria was indiscriminate* shooting killing at least 4 or 5, can't remember. What I do remember is the number being very low until 2008 or so then it started climbing rapidly, coinciding with the rise of teen suicide. This, combined with the fact that firearm laws are far stricter than they were prior, tell me it has little to nothing to do with guns or gun laws. I'm not solely blaming social media anyway.

*not targeting specific teachers or students
The U.S. Code describes a mass shooting as "a multiple homicide incident in which not fewer than 3 victims are killed" so I'm going to go with that. As for plotting it on a graph? I mean I guess I could, but it's far more nuanced than you seem to be making it. There are people who spend their careers trying to figure this out so I'm not sure some dude on the internet is really the best at trying to figure it out. I'm sure you did create a graph though and I'm sure it showed you something, but unless you account for all the variables, the data will be misleading.

I mean in order to get an accurate picture you'd have to look at everything from mental health care statistics to parenting styles to the impact and accessiblity of media like video games and TV.

So your position here is that he should be locked away forever.
No I am not. I qualified who "they" are.

Ooof

The reason you're having to repeat is because you keep implying that that is exactly what you're requiring. Remember, this hypothetical is:

Guy beats up his wife ONCE, goes to jail, serves his time, and is let out.

That's the scenario. You tried to dodge the scenario by inferring from this that it would definitely happen again and so he should be locked away forever. And if not, why is he in jail at all. The answer is because he did it ONCE. Once is enough to put someone in jail. But not for life. You continue to try to avoid this scenario, I think for some reason you'd like to pretend that it doesn't happen. People are not good or evil. Even people who beat up their wives once in a hypothetical. They're grey, all of them. This means that if someone loses their cool and hits someone, it shouldn't be a life sentence. But, at the same time, that person has demonstrated that they're a danger and something needs to be done in the immediate.
Man you're the one who's giving me a black and white hypothetical. I keep putting "ifs" and you keep ignoring them. I even gave an example of someone who hit their wife once and should not be in jail, let alone be there forever. Whether someone gets a fine, a short term sentence or life depends on the likelihood of reoffending (see below).

Have you seen P Diddy's elevator video? If there were multiple of videos of him doing that, and they weren't AI generated or whatever, would you let him out?

You want to flip this on and off like a light switch. He's either garbage and should never see the light of day again, or he should be let out and handed a gun and given full trust.
With regards to rights of free men vs prisoners, yes it should be binary. This isn't exclusive to guns.

How can you ever have the confidence to let someone out if you don't have training wheels?
By the severity of the crime, motivation, character, history, etc. You need to put some faith in some people and give them a second chance. It just has to be determined through sentencing.

Why is this restriction (that parole is not acceptable) in place to begin with? Because they have rights?
Because whether or not you make them pinky promise that they won't buy a gun through a dealer makes 0 difference. You either trust them or you don't. A career criminal will illegally buy guns from his criminal friends and you won't know about it until they've killed somebody and got caught doing it. The only people affected by the background check in this case are free citizens who have done nothing wrong in the past.

They did, right up until they committed that crime, and then they lost some rights when they were imprisoned, that's what it means to be imprisoned, you lose some of your rights.
This will open another can of worms but I'm going to say it. No, they should not lose "some" of their rights. They should only lose the right to walk freely among the public. Even that right is lost temporarily and should be restored once (or if) the sentence is over (obviously).

What's your argument for not letting prisoners vote? I remember seeing Bernie Sanders getting **** on for this by Americans from all sides and never quite understood it. The response seemed vengeful and emotional with no practical reason behind it. To be clear, I'm not just saying you should restore their voting rights after they're freed. I'm saying they should be allowed to vote from within the prison.

These are your examples for me... a serial killer and a child rapist.
I'm giving you examples of people I'd never let out. This what you all seemingly objected to.

There are many forms of "child rapist", including the 18 year old that had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend.
I'm aware your laws regarding this subject are stupid like that. That's why I used "child" and not "underage". Anyone who's hit puberty is not a "child", at least not how I see it. In some states, a 17 year old taking a dick pic can be a child pornographer and a registered sex offender. That's absurd, but the solution is having reasonable laws, not just giving them parole after convciting them.

And before anyone jumps on this, as some of you often do, no I am not saying someone who's just hit puberty can give consent.

I'm asking you to consider something short of life in prison but also short of fully trusted. I'm asking you to consider a grey area.
The grey area to me is why we have sentencing.

Someone incarcerated for exposing themselves in public or to children should be let out at some point (that's not a life in prison type of crime), and should also probably not be allowed near a school. Right? You think they should be allowed to hang out near schools?
I may be opening yet another potential can of worms here, but yes I think they should be allowed near schools if they didn't get life in prison. I'm the Arab in this conversation and it seems I'm far less prude. I don't think indecent exposure is THAT big of a deal. Obviously the person doing it is likely a sick pedo who couldn't help himself, but there's better ways of dealing with it than life in prison or letting them outside as long as they promise not to go near a school again. I'd leave out life as a last resort or if we discover more severe crimes after searching his property and online history.

You want me to give you examples of people who have only committed one offense?
No. I wasn't clear. I know not everyone reoffends. Far from it.

I asked for examples demonstrating that parole makes a difference. Let's say 10 people were convincted. 2 got life in prison, 4 were let out on parole, and 4 were let out a the end of their sentence. What's the likelihood of someone out on parole reoffending compared to someone who served his/her full sentence?

Edit: To be super clear here, I'm advocating for more leniency than you. For the person who cannot be trusted with a gun, I say they should have some of their freedom, you say they should not.
I don't see how that's lenient. Sounds reckless. You're literally saying you don't trust someone to own a gun, but you're giving him the freedom to hurt others by other means, and the ability to buy gun illegally which is very easy to do anyway.

That is not "banning" private sale. You're doing another sidestep instead of acknowledging your mistake. Let's investigate:

Look at this! Now we're saying it's "restricting" instead of "banning". Yes, I would agree that requiring a background check for private sale is RESTRICTING private sale. But it's not banning private sale.

I misspoke. In this context I don't see the difference. Allow me to take back the word restriction there and replace it with "ban". If you have to go through a dealer to do a "private sale" it is no longer a private sale. You're just buying a used gun from a dealer that happened to belong to someone you knew. That's an effective ban.

Yea, I am. The "rest" generally don't want guns, and they don't want to get into a shootout with the 5-15% that you're talking about to prevent a tyrannical government. To make matters worse, the idea is that the 5-15% use guns to install a tyrannical government at which point they control the military. I don't think arming some anti-gun folks in los angeles is going to do much good against the US military.

So... this sounds like a bad idea to me.
Hmm...

A tyrannical government is one that does not respect rights. Even if democratically installed, it's not to be tolerated. See my signature for more information.
And how do you propose the 85% would depose such tyrnanical government?

Let's say your president and congress agreed to dismantle or pack the supreme court, then practically suspended your constitution and decided to have 0 respect for your rights (however you'd like to define them). What would you do then? Send them a strongly worded letter? Protest with your friends so that the police can crack your skulls?

Spoken like a proper authoritarian - base your information on trust of the source rather than what is being said.
You cited the source as if it has some authority (outside of the law). I cited the same source going the other way on the topic. You selectively chose Heller as if it was the final word on what the 2A means. Uncle Thomas had the final word.

Occupation is not the concern right now.
First of all if my hypothetical above about your pres/congress/court comes true, I would classify it as an occupation. Just not one by a foreign power. Foreign ccupation is an even bigger concern in general anyway and on its own should guarantee rights to small arms. While foreign occupation of America is impractical due to the large bodies of water, it isn't in other countries.

I reacted to it by explaining that you'd quickly realize it was a mistake and recant (which you didn't). I'm not sure what else you were looking for.
Perhaps I mixed up your response with others who reacted poorly in this instance. Except...

There are a lot of those coming from your account, not just that one.
It seems you're not the only one here who shares this view and it's influencing how you read my words. I'm not going to apologize for saying things that can only be interpreted in its most absurd possible way by an ex wife or someone who has preconceived notions of who I am. Just because you view my opinion as extreme on a separate topic, doesn't mean it's extreme outside GTP or that you should take everything else I say as the worst possible interpretation.

If rich people had to pay their fair share of taxes then maybe they wouldn’t be able to get so unbelievably rich as to feel entitled, lawless, and try to get away with horrible things. I see we keep them grounded by making them actually work for their money.
I hope this has nothing to do with my posts or guns.

Jesus Christ, bro. It's right there.

Let's see. Here's the full quote and context:

FPV MIC asked:
"Do you think selling guns at a flea market or gun show where background checks probably wouldn't be done is a good idea?"

To which I responded:
"No person outside of a prison cell of any country should be restricted from purchaisng guns from anywhere or anyone they like. If you're going to impose any restriction, you need to do a meaningful study showing a direct causal effect of a great harm to the public. If I had it my way from scratch I'd have mandatory basic training during/after high school with a license granted upon completion. Anyone who can't be trusted with a gun shouldn't be on the street to begin with."

I was clearly* answering a question about private sales (flea market/gun show). Clearly the "cannot be trusted with a gun" part is in reference to background checks, which theoretically determines someone's trustworthiness of owning a gun. I also put two ifs there, and made it clear that if I designed a system from scratch, I'd make a shall-issue (which I don't consider a restriction per se) process by which people can obtain guns.

*unless you're my psycho ex gf.

Danoff's right, you simply can't admit when you said something stupid that you didn't mean. You have to try and make out like you were right all along and it's everyone else's fault somehow.
Try asking me nicely to clarify next time.

If there's a legitimate competitive scene for the 7" Sig Rattler LT and not just you wanting an excuse to blast stuff with some random weapon, then absolutely.
Who's going to determine what's a legitimate reason or not? I can think of many good reasons for myself, but why should I trust some government schmuck to make that determination? I'm speaking from experience here. You do not want to let rights or other important aspect of life be at the discretion of a government entity or individual. Rules and specific, tight guidelines should be required.

If you're curious about that particular model, let me elaborate. If you're competing in a 2 gun match (rifle and handgun), and the target disances for the rifle stages are up to 200m, you'd want the shortest possible rifle you could get that can accurately make hits at that far. The longer the barrel, the more torque it has on your arm making it more difficult to hold it steady especially after a while. You could say why not the same model but in rimfire, but remember, it's at 200m. You'd be lucky getting any hits at all on the move at 100m with rimfire. The model I cited is best suited for this situation.

Also, what you just said is false anyway.
Category D
All self-loading centrefire rifles, pump-action or self-loading or lever-action shotguns[16] that have a magazine capacity of more than five rounds, semi-automatic rimfire rifles over ten rounds, are restricted to government agencies, occupational shooters and primary producers.

It sounds like a complete ban on the model above.

The "government" is far better equipped than the public will ever be. They have automatic weapons, tanks, missiles, weaponised drones and aircraft. They have training and strategy and command structures. They have stockpiles of equipment and food and ammunition and fuel in defensible bases.
The tanks, missiles and nukes can only do what you said following that.
If they want us wiped out, we're gonna get wiped out.
I acknowledged that already in my previous post. They'd have to choose between genocide or losing control. Without armed citizens, they don't need to make that choice. See Afghanista, Iraq, Ukraine, etc.

You're not going to win, you're just going to make sure that the country is destroyed when the military has to mobilise against it's own people and you're going to make sure that a whole lot of people die.
You'd rather live in tyranny than fight back and forcing your opponent to consider a genocide and expose themselves to the psychotic tyrants that they are?

The obvious answer would be because you've got to get into power before you can worry about being deposed. Is that too logical for you?
It's not logical or relevant at all.

No, they aren't, and it shows how much you don't know about American politics if you think Republicans are just as pro-gun control as Democrats.
Some Republicans might support some gun control legislation (like banning bump stocks), but for the most part, they block gun control legislation. It's more present at the state level than the federal level, though.

As for the voters, it's hard to say, most voters regardless of party favour gun control of some kind but that doesn't always translate into who gets voted in.
If you're talking about state-level, sure. I wasn't, though. I was talking about federal level. The ATF is a federal agency. NICS is also federal level. Bump stock bans are federal (10 years in federal prison). It's harder for local politicians and governers to screw their voters. That's true. That is of course, until they run for president and become "the lesser evil".

Also your polls are usually ****ed up. I remember one poll, in which the respondents were against Obama care but for the ACA. For the handful who may read this and aren't familiar, ObamaCare is literally the ACA. You can design a poll to show whatever you like. How exactly the questions are phrased can mean different things to different people.

It's like the gunshow loophole thing. You're saying it's not a ban on privae sales, and neither do most Americans polled on it. However, when explained to some, they change their answers. For example, you can ask someone if he's for "universal background checks" and he'll say yes. Then you ask that same person if he should be allowed to gift or sell his gun to a sibling without going to a dealer, and he'd say yes. Those two answers are not compatible.

It gets worse when a new bill is Orwellianly named as if it does what people want, but in fact, does the opposite. This is like the "right to work" ******** that happened in California which stripped away rights from gig workers. People literally voted against precisely what they thought they were voting for.

GTP is absolutely social media.
That's your opinion.

Given this broad spectrum of SM platforms, the applications of SM are quite diverse and not limited to sharing holiday snapshots or advertising and promotion.

Even they're recognizing the definition is broad.

What most people think of social media is a holiday snapshot sharing platform (or similar). And again, the books I've read and talks I listened to, the experts talking about the negative effects of social media, are refering to instagram-like platforms. I don't even remember coming across the word social media during the AOL/MSN messenger days.

The U.S. Code describes a mass shooting as "a multiple homicide incident in which not fewer than 3 victims are killed"
That's not what I asked. It doesn't even have the "school" part of my question.

I'm aware of what you sent. It's total ********. If an armed burglar is caught fleeing from a home and shoots 3 cops, it's technically a mass shooting. If a man kills his 2 children and wife with a gun, it's technically a "mass shooting" by that definition. This isn't what anyone in his right mind thinks when they hear "mass shooting" let alone school shooting. It was defined that way PRECISELY to inflate the statistics and scare poor people into agreeing to gun control laws. Just like they agreed to give up their 4th amendment after 9/11. Manufactuering consent at its finest.

Perhaps it'll help YOU form a more informed opinion if you took publicly available numbers and did the statistics on your own. While we're at it, do you know how many people are murdered by rifles in America annually? Not even just AR15's, I mean ALL rifles. If you don't already know the answer, please don't look it up yet. Take a guess first and post it here. Then I'll give you a link to a government document. Your government.

There are people who spend their careers trying to figure this out
Quite the opposite in the real world. More often than not, their careers depend on not figuring it out.

I'm sure you did create a graph though and I'm sure it showed you something, but unless you account for all the variables, the data will be misleading.
What variables? I took this:

And filtered out what I don't consider a mass school shooting. There was another website with a list of school shootings as well.

I mean in order to get an accurate picture you'd have to look at everything from mental health care statistics to parenting styles to the impact and accessiblity of media like video games and TV.
Seriously? Video games? Can I return the favor and ask how old you are? I already said I'm not solely blaming social media but I will absolutely absolve video games from gun violence and die on that hill.

R3V
If you're talking about state-level, sure. I wasn't, though. I was talking about federal level. The ATF is a federal agency. NICS is also federal level. Bump stock bans are federal (10 years in federal prison). It's harder for local politicians and governers to screw their voters. That's true. That is of course, until they run for president and become "the lesser evil".
Even at a federal level, Republicans are not as pro-gun control as Democrats. If you believe otherwise, then you don't even have a fundamental understanding of our political parties.

In December, Republicans blocked the assault rifle ban and background checks bill:

Are younger Republicans more in favour of gun control? Yes. But they're not nearly as stringent on the control as Democrats are. It's one of the most obvious fundamental differences between the parties.
R3V
It's like the gunshow loophole thing. You're saying it's not a ban on privae sales, and neither do most Americans polled on it.
I'm not saying anything about the gun show loophole.
R3V
That's not what I asked. It doesn't even have the "school" part of my question.
It's precisely what you asked, and your question included the word "school":
R3V
Can you define a mass school shooting and put the annual number on a graph?
I don't need to define a mass shooting since there's already a legal definition for it.
R3V
I'm aware of what you sent.
What did I send?
R3V
It's total ********. If an armed burglar is caught fleeing from a home and shoots 3 cops, it's technically a mass shooting. If a man kills his 2 children and wife with a gun, it's technically a "mass shooting" by that definition. This isn't what anyone in his right mind thinks when they hear "mass shooting" let alone school shooting. It was defined that way PRECISELY to inflate the statistics and scare poor people into agreeing to gun control laws. Just like they agreed to give up their 4th amendment after 9/11. Manufactuering consent at its finest.

Perhaps it'll help YOU form a more informed opinion if you took publicly available numbers and did the statistics on your own. While we're at it, do you know how many people are murdered by rifles in America annually? Not even just AR15's, I mean ALL rifles. If you don't already know the answer, please don't look it up yet. Take a guess first and post it here. Then I'll give you a link to a government document. Your government.
What do you think my opinion on guns is exactly? Because it seems like you're making many assumptions and/or confusing me with someone else.
R3V
What variables? I took this:
And filtered out what I don't consider a mass school shooting. There was another website with a list of school shootings as well.
Well, one glaring variable is that you took out anything that you don't consider a mass shooting. That's completely arbitrary and manipulates the data to fit what you believe.

But there are a ton of variables when considering the rise in mass shootings and violence. It's easy to show that it's happening, but getting to the root of why it's happening is another story. You said they started going up in 2008 and correlated that with the rise in social media, which is great, but that's pretty meaningless since there are a ton of other variables that need to be considered. This is why with any kind of science, you can't just throw it out there without it being peer-reviewed and expecting it to be taken seriously.
R3V
Seriously? Video games? Can I return the favor and ask how old you are? I already said I'm not solely blaming social media but I will absolutely absolve video games from gun violence and die on that hill.
My age is in my profile: 37. If you think violence in media hasn't contributed to an overall problem, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Are video games the biggest issue? No, not by a long shot, but to ignore them is, once again, ignoring a variable. Violence in the media as a whole is likely a contributing factor to violent actions, but not the sole reason. And this isn't to say violent media should be banned either.

I had been keeping an eye on this one, even before I was tagged for no reason and subsequently sent a PM (I won't say by whom, but since it contained literally the exact strawman that got them banned from a previous thread and used to present a false dichotomy in that PM, guesses are not entirely necessary), and I'm reminded of what happened two years ago:
Well, now you've claimed both that it's true and that it isn't true. Which means both your original floating of it to garner negative reactions and your subsequent claim it wasn't true in order to garner further negative reactions are trolling, whether it's true or not.

It also means that nobody has any reason to assign any value at all to anything you post, because it's either a lie or something true that you're lying about being a lie.

It's not possible to have a reasoned discussion with you anyway.

On top of the flip-flopping and the appeal to emotion fallacy in this thread, there's the fact you apparently have private definitions for words and phrases, the fact you clearly deny reality, and the fact you invent things that other people haven't said and argue against them (the strawman fallacy) - all of which you did in just one response... to me. Which is why I just rolled my eyes and didn't bother answering because there's literally no point in doing so - you'll just make up some more stuff I didn't say, ignore facts, and redefine language to suit.

By your subsequent behaviour in this and other threads, it appears that this is habitual, and now you're trying to claim fault on behalf of other people too...
No.

A strawman fallacy is, as I just pointed out to you in the post you also just quoted, the practice of inventing things not said by someone and pretending that they did say that in order to argue against them. Look:

It has nothing to do with being "inquisitive"; it is a dishonest (and very common) discussion tactic. As is redefining things to suit - such as your attempt just then to redefine the strawman fallacy.

Good luck to anyone who continues to engage you in any discussion.
It has been terribly unimpressive to watch the same person perform the same acts - even denying the contents of their own posts - again, two years later.

Especially as, two years ago, they said they weren't posting in this part of the site again as a result of being called on it.

Even at a federal level, Republicans are not as pro-gun control as Democrats. If you believe otherwise, then you don't even have a fundamental understanding of our political parties.

In December, Republicans blocked the assault rifle ban and background checks bill:
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-republicans-block-assault-style-weapons-ban-mass-shootings-rise-2023-12-06/
Are younger Republicans more in favour of gun control? Yes. But they're not nearly as stringent on the control as Democrats are. It's one of the most obvious fundamental differences between the parties.
The last significant instance of Republicans being slightly influential in the successful passing of gun control legislation occurred in June 2022 with the passage of the so-called "Bipartisan 😂 Safer Communities Act". This legislation was a response to several mass shootings, especially Uvalde. The bill included provisions for increased funding for mental health and school safety, closing the "boyfriend loophole," and enhancing background checks for gun buyers under the age of 21. Plenty of loopholes remained.

In the Senate 100% of Democrats voted for it. 69% of Republicans voted against it

In the House 98% of Democrats voted for it. 93% of Republicans voted against it

R3V
It sounds like a complete ban on the model above.
It sounds like you should ask for remedial reading classes if you think "restricted to X" means "complete ban".
R3V
You'd rather live in tyranny than fight back and forcing your opponent to consider a genocide and expose themselves to the psychotic tyrants that they are?
I don't consider killing the patient in order to save them a solution. I'll fight if there's a reasonable chance of a successful outcome, but I'm not going to charge a line of machine guns and tanks brandishing two pistols.

If I can't win now, damn right I'll live in tyranny and wait for my opportunity to actually make a difference. You may think throwing your life away in a blaze of righteous glory is admirable, but I don't. It not necessary to throw yourself to your death at the first sign of something wrong, it's possible to wait for your opportunity and strike in a domain in which you hold an advantage. For civilians, that domain is almost never going to be open warfare.
R3V
It's not logical or relevant at all.
Of course not.

You wouldn't need to come to power to be scared of the little people having guns, because you'd have been in power all along. Even when it looked like you weren't in power, you were actually controlling things from the shadows. Before you were born you were actually God, dictating from the heavens. You were always in total control, and thus all your behaviour should be assumed to result from you being in a position of absolute power.

And you say you're not an authoritarian? Interesting. :rolleyes:
My age is in my profile: 37. If you think violence in media hasn't contributed to an overall problem, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Are video games the biggest issue? No, not by a long shot, but to ignore them is, once again, ignoring a variable. Violence in the media as a whole is likely a contributing factor to violent actions, but not the sole reason. And this isn't to say violent media should be banned either.
I see violent media as more of a symptom than a cause. Conflict is pretty core to the human experience, although how that is expressed is a product of the specific culture. The problem is that our culture views violence as a valid way of solving problems rather than a last resort, and this is taught implicitly. The media is part of what is conveying that message, but it's conveying that message because that's an accurate depiction (if probably exaggerated or caricatured) of what our society is like.

People are shown in movies and games that it's okay to beat up and shoot "bad guys" with little to no warning because in real life that's exactly how it works. I think media just shows us who we are. The messenger is not the problem, the message is. One does not blame the Check Engine light for one's car breaking.

Disagree with the media. Overcoming such things is a simple matter of parenting and education. Discipline. There is an incredible amount of garbage parents in our country today, and our teachers and mentors have been handicapped with no ways to effectively discipline children.

Different tools need to be used to teach different people different things. I'm going to lean into stereotypes (I'm sure you'll agree) but there are obvious trends among different groups within the US as to types of education, discipline, and eventual troubled behavior. For example, in wealthier societies it is common for children to be nurtured, taught, education, but not properly disciplined. They go on to make mistakes. In poorer societies, nurturing, teaching, and proper education are much less common while strict discipline is the norm. They go on to make mistakes. Those wealthier societies never actually get disciplined at all because the parents are soft and the teachers aren't allowed to draw the line. In poorer societies those kids are so confused because the parents are tough but the teachers again aren't allowed to draw the line.

There has to be a balance. Teachers need to be allowed to discipline. Parents need to understand how to nurture. Good parents know that their kids need to learn how to reason from Day 1 but they also need to be able to crack the whip when necessary, especially as kids get older and naturally less obedient. But if kids know they can get away with anything at school, where they spend most of their time, they end up quite confused as to how to act and get what they want or need. This is also a huge problem in split households which is a chronic problem in our society - inconsistent parenting leads to kids that simply don't care and begin to find their own way of living.

Media has nothing to do with it. The world goes around, kids see and hear things, adults do and say things, there's nothing that can be done to prevent it. Arguable, kids need to be more exposed to the roughness of the world but taught proper lessons when those things happen. Sometimes that lesson is an education, sometimes it's a good old fashioned scolding. It all boils down to teachers and mentors and giving them the ability to do the right thing.

Last edited:
I see violent media as more of a symptom than a cause. Conflict is pretty core to the human experience, although how that is expressed is a product of the specific culture. The problem is that our culture views violence as a valid way of solving problems rather than a last resort, and this is taught implicitly. The media is part of what is conveying that message, but it's conveying that message because that's an accurate depiction (if probably exaggerated or caricatured) of what our society is like.

People are shown in movies and games that it's okay to beat up and shoot "bad guys" with little to no warning because in real life that's exactly how it works. I think media just shows us who we are. The messenger is not the problem, the message is. One does not blame the Check Engine light for one's car breaking.
Disagree with the media. Overcoming such things is a simple matter of parenting and education. Discipline. There is an incredible amount of garbage parents in our country today, and our teachers and mentors have been handicapped with no ways to effectively discipline children.

Different tools need to be used to teach different people different things. I'm going to lean into stereotypes (I'm sure you'll agree) but there are obvious trends among different groups within the US as to types of education, discipline, and eventual troubled behavior. For example, in wealthier societies it is common for children to be nurtured, taught, education, but not properly disciplined. They go on to make mistakes. In poorer societies, nurturing, teaching, and proper education are much less common while strict discipline is the norm. They go on to make mistakes. Those wealthier societies never actually get disciplined at all because the parents are soft and the teachers aren't allowed to draw the line. In poorer societies those kids are so confused because the parents are tough but the teachers again aren't allowed to draw the line.

There has to be a balance. Teachers need to be allowed to discipline. Parents need to understand how to nurture. Good parents know that their kids need to learn how to reason from Day 1 but they also need to be able to crack the whip when necessary, especially as kids get older and naturally less obedient. But if kids know they can get away with anything at school, where they spend most of their time, they end up quite confused as to how to act and get what they want or need. This is also a huge problem in split households which is a chronic problem in our society - inconsistent parenting leads to kids that simply don't care and begin to find their own way of living.

Media has nothing to do with it. The world goes around, kids see and hear things, adults do and say things, there's nothing that can be done to prevent it. Arguable, kids need to be more exposed to the roughness of the world but taught proper lessons when those things happen. Sometimes that lesson is an education, sometimes it's a good old fashioned scolding. It all boils down to teachers and mentors and giving them the ability to do the right thing.
So, I agree with the discipline, which is why I don't think violent media should be banned. It is up to the parents to decide whether or not a particular media source is appropriate or not and adults should know what they're capable of handling.

But at the same time, we know that parents don't do this, and there's a not-so-insignificant number of problems with no personal responsibility for anything. So while I'm not in favour of banning anything, I think if you're going to do an in-depth look at shootings like @R3V indicated, media influence should be considered as a variable. I know violent media has been around forever, but I would wager it's more accessible now than it was even 20 years ago. It's not difficult for me to find a video of cartels torturing people in gruesome ways or see videos directly from the frontlines in Ukraine. The 24-hour news cycle also needs to fill air time and often fill it with stories about violence.

So, while I'm not saying media is the sole reason or even the biggest reason for the rise of gun violence, I think it is something that needs to be considered if you're going to take an all-encompassing look at it.

So, I agree with the discipline, which is why I don't think violent media should be banned. It is up to the parents to decide whether or not a particular media source is appropriate or not and adults should know what they're capable of handling.

But at the same time, we know that parents don't do this, and there's a not-so-insignificant number of problems with no personal responsibility for anything. So while I'm not in favour of banning anything, I think if you're going to do an in-depth look at shootings like @R3V indicated, media influence should be considered as a variable. I know violent media has been around forever, but I would wager it's more accessible now than it was even 20 years ago. It's not difficult for me to find a video of cartels torturing people in gruesome ways or see videos directly from the frontlines in Ukraine. The 24-hour news cycle also needs to fill air time and often fill it with stories about violence.

So, while I'm not saying media is the sole reason or even the biggest reason for the rise of gun violence, I think it is something that needs to be considered if you're going to take an all-encompassing look at it.
Sure. Let's use different terminology then. I'll take a page from the NTSB's book - while media may be a contributing factor, like the weather it isn't a cause. There are many contributing factors but the largest one is most likely that people are trash. Unfortunately in this day and age we can't do anything about that without hurting someone's feelings.

Back in my dad's day they got smacked by nuns at school, and that sort of discipline gave boomers the wherewithal to build, benefit, and destroy the greatest economy in human history within a single generation.

We need nuns armed with hardwood rulers is what we need.

Last edited:
Sure. Let's use different terminology then. I'll take a page from the NTSB's book - while media may be a contributing factor, like the weather it isn't a cause. There are many contributing factors but the largest one is most likely that people are trash. Unfortunately in this day and age we can't do anything about that without hurting someone's feelings.

Back in my dad's day they got smacked by nuns at school, and that sort of discipline gave boomers the wherewithal to build, benefit, and destroy the greatest economy in human history within a single generation.

I'm not saying it's a cause but a contributing factor. R3V seemed to have "solved" the question around gun violence by arbitrarily picking a number and then plotting it on a graph. What I'm saying is to get an accurate picture and "solve" the problem, you need to look at every variable and what impact it may or may not play. I believe violent media contributes to the problem, but I don't think it's the underlying cause. If we banned violent media today nothing would magically happen tomorrow, however I do believe it could, over time at least, make some people less violent. Being exposed to anything day-in and day-out will change your thinking. Just look at all the Fox New fanboys who get fed utter BS all-day and think Mexicans are coming in by the millions to rape and kill while taking our jobs but at the same time being lazy and sponging off the government.

I agree that people are trash, and I fully subscribe to the idea that people are terrible while a person can be good.

tumblr_mnbzr17o9C1qedb29o1_500.gif

I'm not saying it's a cause but a contributing factor. R3V seemed to have "solved" the question around gun violence by arbitrarily picking a number and then plotting it on a graph.
That sounds like what he did with abortion as well.
R3V
Because the difference between 6 to 9 months, or even a day after birth, is not enough of a difference to make a difference to me.

Last edited:
R3V
Man you're the one who's giving me a black and white hypothetical. I keep putting "ifs" and you keep ignoring them.

I'm thinking you don't understand how hypotheticals work, or what "black and white" means in this context. These two sentences seem to demonstrate that you don't understand either one.

R3V
I even gave an example of someone who hit their wife once and should not be in jail, let alone be there forever. Whether someone gets a fine, a short term sentence or life depends on the likelihood of reoffending (see below).

Have you seen P Diddy's elevator video? If there were multiple of videos of him doing that, and they weren't AI generated or whatever, would you let him out?

I'd like you to address my hypothetical honestly before I address yours.

R3V
With regards to rights of free men vs prisoners, yes it should be binary. This isn't exclusive to guns.

Why stop with freedom of movement? Why not life? Either we can trust you, or you die. You either lose all of your rights or none of them right? Right? This is what you're claiming. The only sentence is the death sentence. If that's not the case, you're drawing a super arbitrary line in the sand and acting like it's very very important.

R3V
By the severity of the crime, motivation, character, history, etc. You need to put some faith in some people and give them a second chance. It just has to be determined through sentencing.

I mean... I guess we agree on this? It seems like an odd thing to agree on given your take on whether convicted criminals can buy guns.

R3V
Because whether or not you make them pinky promise that they won't buy a gun through a dealer makes 0 difference. You either trust them or you don't.

No. There is a grey area of trust. There is such a thing as skepticism rather than total faith or complete lack of faith. "We'll give you a second chance" is not the same as "I trust you implicitly".

R3V
A career criminal will illegally buy guns from his criminal friends and you won't know about it until they've killed somebody and got caught doing it.

Why is everyone who has been in jail a career criminal would-be murderer all of the sudden?

This is how you dodge this issue, by pretending that people are all would-be murderers or saints.

R3V
The only people affected by the background check in this case are free citizens who have done nothing wrong in the past.

This is just pure nonsense. Making it harder for someone to obtain a gun who has a history of violence (like beating their wife for example), is a good idea (especially for their wife). Even if we think they have a good shot at behaving themselves from now on.

R3V
This will open another can of worms but I'm going to say it. No, they should not lose "some" of their rights. They should only lose the right to walk freely among the public. Even that right is lost temporarily and should be restored once (or if) the sentence is over (obviously).

Why just that one?

Your freedom of movement is "some" of your rights, which can be enumerated at a finer level than just movement. But you don't just lose that when you're in prison. You also lose access to your property. I guess by this rationale you're not ok with fines or tickets either, since that's a loss of some of your property rights (not all, some). You should also not be ok with criminals being prevented from having guns in prison, since that's another right. I guess they can't be silenced in prison because that violates their freedom of speech?

Parole is primarily a loss of freedom of movement that isn't as severe as jail (you have more but not all of your rights on parole), and for some reason you're NOT ok with this one.

R3V
What's your argument for not letting prisoners vote?

You don't get a say in laws you don't respect? Seems pretty straightforward actually.

R3V
I'm aware your laws regarding this subject are stupid like that. That's why I used "child" and not "underage". Anyone who's hit puberty is not a "child", at least not how I see it. In some states, a 17 year old taking a dick pic can be a child pornographer and a registered sex offender. That's absurd, but the solution is having reasonable laws, not just giving them parole after convciting them.

And before anyone jumps on this, as some of you often do, no I am not saying someone who's just hit puberty can give consent.

Letting someone out on parole isn't "just" giving them parole. They also may have been incarcerated. For a crime where institutionalization is too harsh, parole seems like a good compromise on the curtailment of rights. I'm not sure why you take issue with it but not with the idea of prison which is just a different level of curtailment of rights.

R3V
The grey area to me is why we have sentencing.

What about sentencing to parole? What about sentencing with the possibility of parole? This is sentencing based on the grey area is it not?

R3V
I may be opening yet another potential can of worms here, but yes I think they should be allowed near schools if they didn't get life in prison. I'm the Arab in this conversation and it seems I'm far less prude.

No it's not about prude or not prude. It's about locking people away forever instead of giving them a second chance. You're acting like you're the permissive one here, but you keep couching it with life imprisonment. This should be reserved for someone who has no chance of re-integrating. I have no doubt that our cultural differences are part of the reason that I don't see people as black and white in this way.

R3V
I don't think indecent exposure is THAT big of a deal. Obviously the person doing it is likely a sick pedo who couldn't help himself, but there's better ways of dealing with it than life in prison or letting them outside as long as they promise not to go near a school again. I'd leave out life as a last resort or if we discover more severe crimes after searching his property and online history.

What are those better ways? We use a variety of techniques in the US, including parole, tracking devices, offender registries, etc. to mitigate the chances of further harm while being permissive. You seem to think you have some good ideas so let's hear them.

R3V
I asked for examples demonstrating that parole makes a difference. Let's say 10 people were convincted. 2 got life in prison, 4 were let out on parole, and 4 were let out a the end of their sentence. What's the likelihood of someone out on parole reoffending compared to someone who served his/her full sentence?

I don't know. Kinda don't care. You'd have to motivate me to care. What is your argument here, that someone who is let out on parole is more likely to re-offend than someone who serves their full sentence? It's hard to see how that can be true in a meaningful way (there are less meaningful ways it could be true such as violation of parole terms themselves). But even supposing it were true, which is hard to believe, it still would not be an argument against parole. Because it still would represent major over-incaraceration.

R3V
I don't see how that's lenient. Sounds reckless. You're literally saying you don't trust someone to own a gun, but you're giving him the freedom to hurt others by other means, and the ability to buy gun illegally which is very easy to do anyway.

Yes, and I don't understand why you're having trouble following this. I can name people I know who I do not trust with a gun and yet who should not be behind bars and who I do not think will buy a gun illegally. It's not an absurd situation, it's people I know.

R3V
I misspoke. In this context I don't see the difference. Allow me to take back the word restriction there and replace it with "ban". If you have to go through a dealer to do a "private sale" it is no longer a private sale. You're just buying a used gun from a dealer that happened to belong to someone you knew. That's an effective ban.

Requiring background checks does not mean you have to sell through a dealer. It means that a background check must be conducted, and you can have a dealer do this to sell privately.

R3V
And how do you propose the 85% would depose such tyrnanical government?

Let's say your president and congress agreed to dismantle or pack the supreme court, then practically suspended your constitution and decided to have 0 respect for your rights (however you'd like to define them). What would you do then? Send them a strongly worded letter? Protest with your friends so that the police can crack your skulls?

Meaningfully, I don't think you do. 85% would not be the figure who would be willing to fight.

R3V
You cited the source as if it has some authority (outside of the law). I cited the same source going the other way on the topic. You selectively chose Heller as if it was the final word on what the 2A means. Uncle Thomas had the final word.

No, I cited Heller as explaining the 2nd amendment. It does.

R3V
It seems you're not the only one here who shares this view and it's influencing how you read my words. I'm not going to apologize for saying things that can only be interpreted in its most absurd possible way by an ex wife or someone who has preconceived notions of who I am. Just because you view my opinion as extreme on a separate topic, doesn't mean it's extreme outside GTP or that you should take everything else I say as the worst possible interpretation.

I read what you wrote. You own that, not me. It was a straightforward interpretation. So straightforward that you had trouble quickly backing down from it, and kinda pretended not to while you did.

Last edited:
even denying the contents of their own posts
Please give examples or quit saying that. It's one thing to have a disagreement or misunderstanding, and a whole other thing to just flatly say things that are not true. My posts are right there when you click on what you quoted. I went back and read the exchange on abortion. Not a single lie. Filling in the blanks from inbetween my words and then taking a carification as a "you lied" or "you denied the content of your post" is a you problem.

Me: I wore briefs when I went to school
Others: gasp You went into your school wearing only briefs? You pervert!
Me: No I mean I used to wear briefs when I was young, and now I wear boxer-briefs
Others: WHICH ONE IS IT YOU LIAR!!!

It would be pure comedy if it wasn't frustrating.
Especially as, two years ago, they said they weren't posting in this part of the site again as a result of being called on it.
I really do forget what it's like to discuss anything with some of you and it shocks me every time. This is like when I get back to an ex and then remember why I dumped her in the first place. It's no wonder there's only a few names that post in this section regularly. I've never had an experience like this on any other serious forum and I've been around many for well over 20 years. Heck, I doubted my own memories about my interactions with YOU specifically when I looked up the Super Formula post and saw that you were nice about it despite it being a clear and dumb mistake from my side. Is it the flag under my name? That's the one difference between my my existence on this forum and all the others I've been part of.

I started this latest thing with a question, hoping he'd cite something definitive that I'd never come across so that I change my mind. It was indeed a mistake to even click on the notification. I got stuck in having to correct the record on any gaps in my words and now I'm giving the common courtesy of responding to people, who I assume/hope are actually trying to engage in good faith.

If you don't want me posting here, or anywhere on the site for that matter, just say so. Publicly or a DM. I'll oblige. It feels you're just poking me to give you an excuse to use your mod tools.
I'm not saying anything about the gun show loophole.
Fair, I looked back and and I had indeed confused you with someone else on this particular issue.
It's precisely what you asked, and your question included the word "school":
I asked what the numbers are for mass school shootings, and you've cited your government's definition of ALL mass shooting. So no, it's not what I asked. I wanted exclusively schools.
I don't need to define a mass shooting since there's already a legal definition for it.
If you're going to trust your government to define things whatever way they please and pass laws accordingly, then that's that.
Well, one glaring variable is that you took out anything that you don't consider a mass shooting. That's completely arbitrary and manipulates the data to fit what you believe.
You're jumping from one thing to the other here. Before making any statement about what's causing the increase in mass shootings, we need to agree on what mass shootings actually are and when/if any increase happened in the first place. I think my definition is fair. You'd rather go with your government's which encompass crimes that I don't really think the majority of people around the world would classify as a "mass shooting".

I don't know what you think what I believe to the reason for the spike is, because I already acknowledged twice now that the "data" isn't enough to solely blame social media. All I said was that there's a strong correlation, and implied that there's no such correlation with strict gun laws (if anything, the opposite).

By the way, it doesn't really matter if it's 4 or 5 or 6 or even 0 victims. There's a trend of young people (mostly males), who are willing to take a weapon and indiscriminately murder crowd of people. The number doesn't matter. I just don't want other categories of murders, specifically by a gun, to be lumped into this trend.

What do you think my opinion on guns is exactly? Because it seems like you're making many assumptions and/or confusing me with someone else.
I don't know where you are on private sales (gun show loophole). You seem to have an American mainstream opinion about guns in general. "2A is good but I'll delegate how to handle it to the government".

Are video games the biggest issue? No, not by a long shot, but to ignore them is, once again, ignoring a variable.
Except it was never ignored. It's been blamed for violence most of my life. Paper after paper looked into it and determined there's no causal relationship.

Honestly at this point, and having heard multiple psychologists talk about violent crime in general, I'm ruling it out unless some dramatic scientific research comes out and says otherwise. Video games or media in general don't turn people into psychopaths. Some are just born that way. A normal person wouldn't just snap and dismember his wife with a Mortal Kombat fatality.
R3V seemed to have "solved" the question around gun violence by arbitrarily picking a number and then plotting it on a graph.
?? Let me fetch my original comment on social media
R3V
No you're not. The spike in school shootings took place after social media became a thing. Around the same time teen suicides spiked (females more than males). Why weren't school shootings a thing when you could buy a brand new machine gun with a tax stamp? Or when you could get an AR15 in the mail?
This was in response to the claim that we're finding out the cost of relaxed gun control. I wanted to point out that there's no correlation between the relatively recent trend of school shootings (which I assumed what he's alluding to) and gun control. Meanwhile, there is a correlation between them and the rise of social media.

I made it clear in subsequent responses that I don't solely blame it. I also recall mentioning a long time ago that lead poisoning could be a potential cause for Americans seemingly being more prone to violence than other "1st world" countries. This isn't new and I mentioned other potential factors it in this thread years ago. So no, it's not a Jordan Peterson-esque "I solved the world" thing. I don't know why you keep saying that when I've clarified multiple times I don't even think it's the sole reason.

It sounds like you should ask for remedial reading classes if you think "restricted to X" means "complete ban".
Here we go again. Instead of conceding you were wrong about your laws, you do this pedantic thing. No, you, as an Australian civilian, cannot get a Sig Rattler LT even with a "reasonable purpose". You said, or at least implied, that you could. You cannot.

As for "complete ban", are you serious, being pedantic or just trolling? I'm having a hard time determining that. You really think "complete ban" meant even the military is banned from having that gun? Seriously? The discussion was your claim that Australians (regular civilians) could get any gun if they have a reasonable purpose. I cited one type of gun in which you can't get even if you cited what you may consider a legitmate purpose. Of course the military and other special occupations can get it. It's a complete ban on civilians getting them. Do I have to spell it out every time? Why do you so frequently respond like a junior lawyer trying to impress a judge? Neither of us are getting paid for this.

Your statement doesn't even pass the logic test. Restricted to X does indeed mean a complete ban on the rest of the alphabets, who we were discussing.

I'm not going to charge a line of machine guns and tanks brandishing two pistols
Neither did the Afghans. This isn't how it plays out. I don't know if you're trying to be a lawyer again or if you really don't even know the difference between holding down a position and attacking targets. Real life isn't call of duty. No one is expecting you to single handedly walk into a battlefield with a rifle and win a war.

If I can't win now, damn right I'll live in tyranny and wait for my opportunity to actually make a difference.
You'll never win with that mentality. What possible opportunity would that be? The tyrants suddenly have a change of heart and voluntarily give up their power to the people? Or in the cases of genocide, just suddenly stop and say "you know what, you guys are alright"?

Also, please think long and hard about the part where you said "damn right I'll live in tyranny". I understand the context, but just think about it.

Of course not.

You wouldn't need to come to power to be scared of the little people having guns, because you'd have been in power all along. Even when it looked like you weren't in power, you were actually controlling things from the shadows. Before you were born you were actually God, dictating from the heavens. You were always in total control, and thus all your behaviour should be assumed to result from you being in a position of absolute power.

And you say you're not an authoritarian? Interesting. :rolleyes:
I don't understand what you're even talking about. Is this a reference I'm missing? Are we still talking about me, personally?

I'd like you to address my hypothetical honestly before I address yours.
Your hypothetical lacks the necessary information to give a confident answer.

Why stop with freedom of movement? Why not life? Either we can trust you, or you die. You either lose all of your rights or none of them right? Right? This is what you're claiming. The only sentence is the death sentence. If that's not the case, you're drawing a super arbitrary line in the sand and acting like it's very very important.
Maybe I should flesh out my opinion on rights and prisons in more detail. To me, the main primary purpose of a prison is removing the means by which someone, who has harmed others, could do it again. A secondary, bonus purpose is rehabilitation.

The death penalty is its own separate discussion. I'm against it for many reasons, but one that I don't think any reasonable person should disagree with, is that any justice system is not infallible. Every prisoner should have the right to prove he/she was wrongfully convincted until their last day.

As to the other stuff you said like "why not let them have guns inside a prison"... please.
I mean... I guess we agree on this? It seems like an odd thing to agree on given your take on whether convicted criminals can buy guns.
Wait, do we? I'm confused. Do you agree that convincted felons who get out should get a second chance and have their all their rights restored? Or at least their gun rights? This was literally what started this whole chain.

No. There is a grey area of trust. There is such a thing as skepticism rather than total faith or complete lack of faith. "We'll give you a second chance" is not the same as "I trust you implicitly".
I may be a little autistic or something because I do not see the difference. Giving someone a second chance is practically saying you have enough faith/trust in the person that he/she will not do the same mistake again. This doesn't mean it's 100% confidence that it won't happen, but just enough to let them off in a way that gives them the freedom to re-offend.

Why is everyone who has been in jail a career criminal would-be murderer all of the sudden?
Did I say everyone? I'm giving you an example of someone who shouldn't be let out. Again. I'm going to try to address the parole thing in one response.

John is a career criminal who went to prison for a 5th time. Jane is a 1st time offender who punched someone at a bar. John, IMO, should get life in prison because we cannot trust him anymore. No parole. Jane, IMO, should get X months in prison. If our goal is to keep her away from reoffending, and we determine 6 months will rehabilitate her to a point where we can trust her again, why don't we just give her 6 months? Why 3 months in + 3 months parole? If 3 is enough to restore her freedom of movement, why not just give her 3 months from the beginning? Or does parole not work the way I thought it does?

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. I already acknowledged that it could be used as a carrot to keep convincts behaving while inside as one potential benefit. What's your reason though? Why 3+3 instead of just 6 or 3 from the beginning? If it's reducing the prison population, that's purely an American problem and is rooted elsewhere. Seems like a band aid solution and I really don't like those especially on a macro scale.

Making it harder for someone to obtain a gun who has a history of violence (like beating their wife for example), is a good idea (especially for their wife)
Harder meaning buying it off the black market, right? Are you saying that someone who wants to kill his wife with a gun, who cannot legally obtain it, will give up on the idea because he has to go find one in the black market? I'm just not seeing it. This is like locking the door to your house to do something about burglarly. Sure it'll slow down a burglar by like 10 seconds but it's not going to change the results.

What are those better ways? We use a variety of techniques in the US, including parole, tracking devices, offender registries, etc. to mitigate the chances of further harm while being permissive. You seem to think you have some good ideas so let's hear them.
I'd rather not. The subject of child rape and pedophilia gets people too emotional anyway. I tried making one point and look how many posts it took for me to even understand what you've interpreted. I'd have to carefully draft a whole essay and have a lawyer go through it too just in case :lol:

Yes, and I don't understand why you're having trouble following this. I can name people I know who I do not trust with a gun and yet who should not be behind bars and who I do not think will buy a gun illegally. It's not an absurd situation, it's people I know.
Just to be clear, are you saying YOU don't trust them with a gun, or that they should be legally forbidden from owning one? If it's the former, I already said I know such people too. If it's the latter, that's what I have a problem with. It shouldn't be up to me or you (or anyone) to say someone should be banned from owning a gun. It should be up to a judge/jury upon a criminal convinction to determine how long they lose that right for AKA prison sentence.

It means that a background check must be conducted
How? I'm talking about your country and the "gunshow loophole" here, and not my utopia. AFAIK the only way is through NICS, after filling a 4473 form. Just like buying a brand new gun from a dealer. Is there an alternative method I'm not aware of? If so, is it in any proposed gun control bill?

Meaningfully, I don't think you do.
So you just give up and live under tyranny or what? I'd like to know. What does society do once democracy has failed?

No, I cited Heller as explaining the 2nd amendment. It does.
It's the particular interpretation of that supreme court, though. In any case I believe my argument for arming the general public (for any country) stands on its own. I don't need to cite the 2A or the wig-wearing slave owners who wrote it, grateful as I am for the inspiration.

So straightforward that you had trouble quickly backing down from it, and kinda pretended not to while you did.
If it was so straightforward why did it take ME, the person who wrote it, several posts to comprehend what you guys were talking about when saying there's a contradiction? All it would've taken is a simple question asking if I meant this or that. I would've then apologized for any confusion and wrote a less ambiguous response.

R3V
Please give examples or quit saying that.
I did. You lied about it. You're still lying about it.

As your incessant lying about stuff - even your own posts - has so far seen you banned from two previous threads I'm now saving anyone else from having to engage you.

Truly a bizarre mindset, and I regret that other people have had their time wasted trying to get any genuine engagement from you.

Back