Has ever a Gran Turismo game been relatively easy/quick to get all cars?

• Thread starter RacingFan1
  • 142 comments
This thread is hilariously misguided. The rose tinted glasses for games like GT1 and GT3 are unreal.

GT1 in particular just wasn't that long, it's only remembered that way because it was so much fun that people played it for hundreds of hours anyway.
I only remember the biggest 'grind' being GT5 but that also had login bonuses that made prizes easier and seasonal events to earn big money, so I never remember it being issue. Also I could sell the prize cars I didn't want, and no cars were locked off at the beggining awaiting an 'invitation' to buy.

If I had the credits, I could buy the car, if I didn't I raced until I earned enough. There was no time limit or FOMO. I could earn and buy the cars I wanted at the pace I wanted.
To be fair, GT5 did have level gating on cars which was very annoying. But it was low enough on most of them that doing the licenses and a few events was enough to open most stuff up.

There was time limits/FOMO on some stuff in the UCD like the F1 cars, but it wasn't explicit and so most people wouldn't know that this was an ultra rare car that they should make an effort to snap up before it disappears. And they fixed that problem with the OCD.

I only remember the biggest 'grind' being GT5 but that also had login bonuses that made prizes easier and seasonal events to earn big money, so I never remember it being issue. Also I could sell the prize cars I didn't want, and no cars were locked off at the beggining awaiting an 'invitation' to buy.

If I had the credits, I could buy the car, if I didn't I raced until I earned enough. There was no time limit or FOMO. I could earn and buy the cars I wanted at the pace I wanted.

I'm astonished that there are still others who are criticising those of us who keep pointing this out. It's not like we want to be disappointed in GT7 (which is what I assumed is being alluded to) but i'm not going to pretend to be satisfied with how the game is just because i'm a long-term GT fan. If anything I must call out when the games are BS, as a consumer, in the hope the developers will listen and make the necessary changes.

Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life
You needed to be a high enough level to buy the cars, or even drive them for that matter, unless you used a loaner car from a friend.

@Famine and @Samus
How, in your personal opinions, does GT5 differ from GT7 in terms of acquiring high end vehicles?

See, GT6 removed the level gating for getting faster rides and increased the credit cap. Before that(in GT5) you needed to have a lot of driver skill to even get to high level events such as "Like the Wind" and anything mandating the use of an F1 car. The seasonals arriving around the release of Spec 2.0 would change that.

Even the threads comparing the games say that 5 is still the worst of the bunch(in relation to credits), but somehow it's the most memorable. Look at the threads and you'll see that GT5 has the bulk of the "messages" on the site. I've seen posts with polls claiming(by vote) that GT5 is the best game in the GT series. It's held in much higher regards than my favorite titles in the series(GT3 and 6).

From what I could see, it seems that all was needed was the addition of mtx's to get people to feel negatively about the excessive grind(?).

GT6 had microtransactions but that was alleviated(at least for early adopters) by the Mercedes VGT. Six was also easier because you could get any car at any time, meaning if you knew what you were doing, your options were vast. It's easily the most approachable game to newcomers(because of the guidance and tips within game) and in my opinion to vets of the series as well.

The lack of content in GT7 is one thing but we've never been at a disadvantage grinding/obtaining cars like we were in GT5. GT7 is just GT5 plus microtransactions and minus the events that will eventually return.

I have 97 cars. That same feat in GT5 would have taken me around six weeks back then not the two weeks it took me recently playing in my spare time after work and 16 hours combined on Saturday and Sunday. The beginning(of GT7) is as friendly to newcomers as its ever been(even more so than Forza Motorsport). Your hand is held and you don't need to know what power-to-weight ratio is or why a mid-rpm turbo might be better on some tracks than the high-rpm turbo.

As a matter of fact, for me GT3 was unplayable past beginners league without the now defunct CheatPlanet and CheatCC(GameFaq clones) for advice and tips. Stormbringers list on GT5 is probably singlehandedly responsible for most of the signups here on GTP because casuals such as myself had no clue what we were doing.

Why is everyone so finalized in their interpretation of the game today?

Spec 2.0 and GT6 prove without a doubt that PolyPhony listens to the community. And coming back to GTP, I'm stunned to see NO complaints about car sounds.(well I skipped Sport, so that one's on me.)

Division, GTA online, NBA 2K, Destiny, Call of Duty and any MMO are leagues worse in the gaming industry.

GT7 doesn't even scratch the surface of what a terrible grind is. The only difference I can see(and I mean me personally) now, is even the aliens like Fraga are locked out of the goods lest they grind their lives away, but my point to this long-winded and somewhat incoherent post is that has always been the case for a GT game. Guys who have wheels and better TV's have always had the advantage and aliens even more so. Never mind the hapless back and forth of going between menu's trying to figure out what events I could complete given my skill level for any modicum or sliver of progress. This is what it's like at the bottom.

People not heavily invested were up the creek without a paddle. But thanks to the visual feedback of the cockpits, I can compete. Hell, I can even tune now. Before last week I'd probably spent less than 24 hours tuning in the last ten years, GT and Forza combined. Last weekend, I spent six, tuning the demons out of a Stingray Corvette from the 60's/70's that is now tame by comparison to when I just slapped a bunch of parts on it. A controller user can be somewhat competent, especially on PS5(I'm on PS4). The game's structure essentially makes drivetrain understanding and tire type the only real obstacles to reaching the end game. A far cry from likes of previous Gran Turismo's barring 6 and Sport.

I'll admit, I would much prefer all my games to come unlocked with access to everything on the disc, but if I must PLAY the game, then the current situation isn't half bad.

You guys are right though about the rotating car dealership which is absolute bo*us, but its nothing new. The Haggerty thing is definitely a misstep and the invites are just the level caps in an overcoat, fake mustache and glasses.

As of now the bulk majority of players don't have the diamond standard cars like the 1994 McLaren F1 and the Miura. But its MUTUAL and the game has not even been out for a month. If it's still like this 70 days from now then you all were right. But OP's sentiments are correct, though they didn't relay that as best as possible.

Alright, next:

GT3
  • 181 cars in the NTSC-U Version.
  • The game gives you 112 of them as prize cars, leaving only 69 to buy. Nice.
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, takes about 50-70 hours. However because of the random chance prize cars, this can extend a lot more. So let's say 150 absolute maximum.
  • The fastest way to earn credits seems to be around 300-500K per hour, depending what you do.
  • To buy the remaining cars will cost you 4.2 Million.
  • The single most expensive car is 455,000. There are costlier, but they're all prize cars.
  • 4.2M / 500K = 8.5 hours "end game" playing to get the cars.
The total time to complete everything GT3 has to offer and earn all of the cars is therefore anywhere between 78 and 159 hours, depending how lucky (or not) you get with the random prize cars. If you just buy a bunch of the prize cars which are available to buy it'll probably bring that high end down a bit.
BTW, you aren't taking into account the credits you won from doing the main game right? But I guess that would be an extra hassle for you.

But in summary, for those games you listed, you can take a few ours out of them. Especially from GT4 which has tons of prize money from the campaign.
You needed to be a high enough level to buy the cars, or even drive them for that matter, unless you used a loaner car from a friend.

@Famine and @Samus
How, in your personal opinions, does GT5 differ from GT7 in terms of acquiring high end vehicles?

See, GT6 removed the level gating for getting faster rides and increased the credit cap. Before that(in GT5) you needed to have a lot of driver skill to even get to high level events such as "Like the Wind" and anything mandating the use of an F1 car. The seasonals arriving around the release of Spec 2.0 would change that.

Even the threads comparing the games say that 5 is still the worst of the bunch(in relation to credits), but somehow it's the most memorable. Look at the threads and you'll see that GT5 has the bulk of the "messages" on the site. I've seen posts with polls claiming(by vote) that GT5 is the best game in the GT series. It's held in much higher regards than my favorite titles in the series(GT3 and 6).

The lack of content in GT7 is one thing but we've never been at a disadvantage grinding/obtaining cars like we were in GT5. GT7 is just GT5 plus microtransactions and minus the events that will eventually return.

Division, GTA online, NBA 2K, Destiny, Call of Duty and any MMO are leagues worse in the gaming industry.
The highest level cars in Gran Turismo 5 were level 24 cars (the F1 cars). And level 24 was ridiculously easy to achieve or by the time you reached that level, you still wouldn't need those cars anyway.
The Red Bull X2010 was a level 40 car but it was also a prize car (in fact, it's rewarded to you 4x, 3 for the challenge and 1 for level 35 B-Spec).
You could drive cars that were higher level than you, you just couldn't buy them...

GT6 did many things right, but at the same time it also lowered the "level" of content and challenges that GT5 had. Gran Turismo 6 wasn't a bad game at all, it was a good game in fact, but not a great game by any stretch.
It was waaaaaay too easy to beat its challenges to the point they felt (at least to me) outright insulting. Nothing like GT5 at all.

The Red Bull challenges for example, in GT6 they made the Gold times to beat 20 seconds longer... 20 SECONDS!!!! That was a joke. An event that should be completed (especially on Gold) by you improving bit by bit and test your absolute limits for hours, was lowered down to something you could beat the gold time on your first try with lots of mistakes.

Plus GT5's Special Events, Championships, Licenses, and Endurance races dwarfed GT6.

GT5 is the worst of the series AFTER the servers got shut down. But again, you didn't and you can't beat the game in 2 weeks and waited god knows how long (it will be) like in GT7. You always had an event to finish.

And again, even with the low payouts, GT5 has a secret weapon against GT7 for grinding. It's called B-Spec. You don't need to literally bore yourself with repeating events. Just go to sleep and let your B-Spec driver grind a few million credits in an endurance race for you. The overall payouts are lower, but you are not a slave to the game for getting the cars.

I can't speak for NBA 2K or Destiny since I never played those, but none of those other named games you mentioned are anywhere near GT7's grind. It was already calc'ed that it would take over 400 hours to get the rest of the cars and this is without even factoring tuning and future DLC, and this is from "low" estimates of the remaining prices of the remaining cars we still don't know.

GTA Online for example, you don't need to own EVERYTHING. Everything that exists in GTA online is for VARIETY. Most of the cars in that game have identical performances but just look different (most of them don't even have effort from rockstar creating them), it's just a completely different game alltogether and it's a multiplayer game first and foremost where you can get huge help from your friends to get money and develop your own empire.
EDIT: The right comparison is with GTA 5 story mode which is the campaign. And the grind in there is non-existant, you literally can get everything as you progress. But again, different game all together.

Unlike Gran Turismo where obtaining a car is part of the game progression AND each car is a new experience and was DESIGNED with a level of detail so high and put into the game for all of us to use it since most of us can't ever appreciate them in real life.

This thread is hilariously misguided. The rose tinted glasses for games like GT1 and GT3 are unreal.

GT1 in particular just wasn't that long, it's only remembered that way because it was so much fun that people played it for hundreds of hours anyway.

To be fair, GT5 did have level gating on cars which was very annoying. But it was low enough on most of them that doing the licenses and a few events was enough to open most stuff up.

There was time limits/FOMO on some stuff in the UCD like the F1 cars, but it wasn't explicit and so most people wouldn't know that this was an ultra rare car that they should make an effort to snap up before it disappears. And they fixed that problem with the OCD.
GT1 was the first of the series and was made in 1997... It's an actual joke for you to be comparing GT7 to GT1. GT1 was the beginning and it was on a completely different generation. Still, so far, it still managed to be longer than GT7 is at launch. And this is absolutely unnaceptable for a game we paid 80€ at launch, some 100€ for the 25th an. edition IN 2022, not in the 90s...

GT5 had so much content and some of it's most expensive cars were prize cars. You had hundreds of hours to contend with GT5's events and if you needed credits at "no effort" you had B-Spec to do it for you. You didn't need to rubberband your controller, just let your bob drive for you and get you credits while you sleep or do something else. GT5 is in no way comparable to GT7 in terms of grinding for credits to get cars.

GT7 is magnitudes worse. You really haven't grasped the numbers, Seamus will post them for you nicely. He already posted 3 of the past GTs absolutely murdering GT7, wait for the rest now.

PS: BTW my favourite Gran Turismos are 4 and 2. My least favourites are GT5 and GT6... But if we factor all titles AT LAUNCH, GT7 is the worst. A MAIN TITLE managing to have less content than a "prologue" like GT Sport is just sad.

Last edited:

@Famine and @Samus

From what I could see, it seems that all was needed was the addition of mtx's to get people to feel negatively about the excessive grind(?).

GT6 had microtransactions but that was alleviated(at least for early adopters) by the Mercedes VGT. Six was also easier because you could get any car at any time, meaning if you knew what you were doing, your options were vast. It's easily the most approachable game to newcomers(because of the guidance and tips within game) and in my opinion to vets of the series as well.

I have 97 cars. That same feat in GT5 would have taken me around six weeks back then not the two weeks it took me recently playing in my spare time after work and 16 hours combined on Saturday and Sunday. The beginning(of GT7) is as friendly to newcomers as its ever been(even more so than Forza Motorsport). Your hand is held and you don't need to know what power-to-weight ratio is or why a mid-rpm turbo might be better on some tracks than the high-rpm turbo.

As a matter of fact, for me GT3 was unplayable past beginners league without the now defunct CheatPlanet and CheatCC(GameFaq clones) for advice and tips. Stormbringers list on GT5 is probably singlehandedly responsible for most of the signups here on GTP because casuals such as myself had no clue what we were doing.

Why is everyone so finalized in their interpretation of the game today?

Spec 2.0 and GT6 prove without a doubt that PolyPhony listens to the community. And coming back to GTP, I'm stunned to see NO complaints about car sounds.(well I skipped Sport, so that one's on me.)

GT7 doesn't even scratch the surface of what a terrible grind is. The only difference I can see(and I mean me personally) now, is even the aliens like Fraga are locked out of the goods lest they grind their lives away, but my point to this long-winded and somewhat incoherent post is that has always been the case for a GT game. Guys who have wheels and better TV's have always had the advantage and aliens even more so. Never mind the hapless back and forth of going between menu's trying to figure out what events I could complete given my skill level for any modicum or sliver of progress. This is what it's like at the bottom.

People not heavily invested were up the creek without a paddle. But thanks to the visual feedback of the cockpits, I can compete. Hell, I can even tune now. Before last week I'd probably spent less than 24 hours tuning in the last ten years, GT and Forza combined. Last weekend, I spent six, tuning the demons out of a Stingray Corvette from the 60's/70's that is now tame by comparison to when I just slapped a bunch of parts on it. A controller user can be somewhat competent, especially on PS5(I'm on PS4). The game's structure essentially makes drivetrain understanding and tire type the only real obstacles to reaching the end game. A far cry from likes of previous Gran Turismo's barring 6 and Sport.

I'll admit, I would much prefer all my games to come unlocked with access to everything on the disc, but if I must PLAY the game, then the current situation isn't half bad.

You guys are right though about the rotating car dealership which is absolute bo*us, but its nothing new. The Haggerty thing is definitely a misstep and the invites are just the level caps in an overcoat, fake mustache and glasses.

As of now the bulk majority of players don't have the diamond standard cars like the 1994 McLaren F1 and the Miura. But its MUTUAL and the game has not even been out for a month. If it's still like this 70 days from now then you all were right. But OP's sentiments are correct, though they didn't relay that as best as possible.
I can tell you that Destiny does have MTX, but everything you can get for MTX is cosmetic only. As far as grinding...technically D2 does have a fair bit of grinding for the perfect roll of a particular weapon...the actual content that you play during that grind is relatively varied and the weapons themselves are spread throughout the various activities.

GT1 was the first of the series and was made in 1997... It's an actual joke for you to be comparing GT7 to GT1. GT1 was the beginning and it was on a completely different generation. Still, so far, it still managed to be longer than GT7 is at launch. And this is absolutely unnaceptable for a game we paid 80€ at launch, some 100€ for the 25th an. edition IN 2022, not in the 90s...

GT5 had so much content and some of it's most expensive cars were prize cars. You had hundreds of hours to contend with GT5's events and if you needed credits at "no effort" you had B-Spec to do it for you. You didn't need to rubberband your controller, just let your bob drive for you and get you credits while you sleep or do something else. GT5 is in no way comparable to GT7 in terms of grinding for credits to get cars.

GT7 is magnitudes worse. You really haven't grasped the numbers, Seamus will post them for you nicely. He already posted 3 of the past GTs absolutely murdering GT7, wait for the rest now.
The thread asks if a GT game has ever been so easy to get cars, and it's a joke for me to compare it to GT7?

GT5 had issues with events and grinding at launch as well. It was much better than GT7, but let's not get too excited. GT5 didn't really turn into a good game until Spec II. I think it's important to remember that GT7 didn't come out of nowhere - there have been pieces of this design in all the games since the aborted GT HD, but Polyphony never really strung them all together in such a consistent way.

Amusingly, GT HD would probably be less offensive than GT7. My recollection is that it was intended as pure F2P, buy the content you want. It would have been a disaster, but it wasn't trying to disguise or mislead people about what the costs of engaging with it would be.

And I'm well aware of the numbers, thanks very much. I think you're mistaking me for someone who thinks that GT7 is amazing. It's a decent game that's crippled by greed and poor design. As of right now, I'd call it the worst Gran Turismo game and I'm someone that is very, very critical of the **** show that was GT6.

The level requirements for cars in GT5 were largely irrelevant because B-Spec level contributed to them. This was important if you decided that it wasn't worth pushing through A-Spec anymore (like I did) after they turned the entire game into Chase the Rabbit a few months after release; and just wanted to buy cars to use online.

The thread asks if a GT game has ever been so easy to get cars, and it's a joke for me to compare it to GT7?

GT5 had issues with events and grinding at launch as well. It was much better than GT7, but let's not get too excited. GT5 didn't really turn into a good game until Spec II. I think it's important to remember that GT7 didn't come out of nowhere - there have been pieces of this design in all the games since the aborted GT HD, but Polyphony never really strung them all together in such a consistent way.

Amusingly, GT HD would probably be less offensive than GT7. My recollection is that it was intended as pure F2P, buy the content you want. It would have been a disaster, but it wasn't trying to disguise or mislead people about what the costs of engaging with it would be.

And I'm well aware of the numbers, thanks very much. I think you're mistaking me for someone who thinks that GT7 is amazing. It's a decent game that's crippled by greed and poor design. As of right now, I'd call it the worst Gran Turismo game and I'm someone that is very, very critical of the **** show that was GT6.
You were comparing the game's content, that GT1 wasn't long enough... Not the "ability to easily get cars". ... ...
If we go by that, Seamus already posted that it takes 20-30 hours to get all the cars END-game in GT1.
Yet, it takes at least 400 hours as of right now for GT7. So again, where is GT1 worse in this? Not even close.

As for GT5... It never had grinding (to extreme levels) at launch because the game at launch still takes hundreds of hours to complete. The grinding for "cleaning up" or get the rest of the cars can only be measured at the end-game after you finished all the events.
And in terms of number and quality of events, GT5 at launch was great, and just got slightly better after spec II with the seasonal events and better grinding methods as well as with the Online Car Dealership.
And again, grinding in GT5 is far less painful because you have the B-Spec for that.

The main issues with GT5 were the 700+ PS2 model cars in an HD PS3 game which to me was absolutely tasteless from PD just to increase the number of cars. And a lot of people were not happy with this and with good reason.
Other thing was the fact that you had A-Spec events and B-Spec events and they were basically duplicates of each other instead of B-Spec being a tool that you could use when you are tired or bored and want a driver to drive your races or part of them for you like it was in GT4. This B-Spec was a massive downgrade compared to GT4, and it was so badly designed and got so much backlash that PD scraped this to never put in a game again, from GT6 onwards you have no B-Spec, which is a shame, it was a useful feature in the right circumstances, GT4 is proof of that.

Other issues that started with GT5 and still continue to this day, the chase the rabbit races, the ability to not sell cars (in GT5 you could only sell cars that were worth less than 1 million credits) and taking away the "Qualifying" feature that was present in Gran Turismo 4.
GT5 was overall a good game as well but it was for me the downfall of the series.

The game from GT1 to GT4 kept progressively getting better, GT4 was, for me, the peak of Gran Turismo.

GT5 was an exagerated grind overall (the time it took me to reach A-Spec and B-Spec level 40 and buying 1.000 cars was ridiculous) but at least it had content for years and it didn't need updated content after 2 weeks post-launch like GT7 which is just pathetic.

Never played GT HD. Outside the main titles I only played GT4 Prologue, GT5 Prologue and GT Sport.

Last edited:
GT4
  • 685 cars in the NTSC-U version (going by list I found with prices).
  • 166 of them are prize cars, leaving 519 to buy.
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, takes about 175-250 hours.
  • The fastest way to earn credits at the end game is 300,000 in 5 minutes selling the RSC Rally Car. With loading, you could get about 5M per hour. If you don't grind that meta event, the end game events would pay out more like 1M per hour.
  • To buy all the remaining cars will cost you 102M.
  • 102 / 5 = 20 hours "end game" to buy all the cars if you grind the META
  • 102/ 1 = 102 hours "end game" to buy all the cars if you don't.
GT4 is the longest game up to this point of the franchise, taking a total of anywhere between 195 and 350 hours to complete everything and own all cars. However, there is one pretty big caveat - B-Spec. You could run events at 3X speed to earn credits, surely making it faster. But I can't really calculate it.

It's also significant that most of that time is spent naturally playing the game, because it had so much to do, including 24 Hour Endurance races which obviously add a huge chunk on alone.

Still, even with all that, the complete time without META grinding is thousands of hours less than GT7.

Last edited:
BTW, you aren't taking into account the credits you won from doing the main game right? But I guess that would be an extra hassle for you.
No, I indeed don't have the time so we're just assuming that you have zero credits in every game as a level playing field once you've finished the main game, and you haven't bought a single car. Of course in reality you will have already bought some cars and probably have a whole bunch of credits, but as I say, I had to try and normalise it without sitting here spending literal weeks working out any real data.

So I think imagining a starting point of zero credits at the end of each games main gameplay is the fairest approach.

Quite sure the answer is NO

Thread dedicated to teenagers who complain about this.
Check out each and every single other GT game. I dont have the exact numbers, but all the veterans who played every game should remember that every single Gran Turismo game, you needed to spend a heck of a lot of time playing in order to buy all cars.
Some more (as they had more cars) and some less. But in general, each and everyone of the games required A LOT of playing to complete the car collection.
So for anyone here angry, wanting all cars easily, I'm afraid you got into the wrong franchise.
Edit: and for everyone arguing about lack of events - yes, thats the only issue here, the game is a bit half done and lots of events and stuff missing, that will come in updates.

If you were a veteran of the GT series you would recall that it would take you at most a handful of hours to get enough credits to buy the most expensive car in most GT games.

Then on top of that, once you had credits, you could buy the car you wanted to sample and all the modifications, try it out, then if you didn't like it, load your own save file, and buy another car.

So yes, for the original games, there was a method which allowed you to sample every purchasable car in the game and repeat it after only a day of playing the game.

Last edited:
GT4
  • The fastest way to earn credits at the end game is 300,000 in 5 minutes selling the RSC Rally Car. With loading, you could get about 5M per hour. If you don't grind that meta event, the end game events would pay out more like 1M per hour.
  • 102/ 1 = 102 hours "end game" to buy all the cars.
GT4 is the longest game up to this point of the franchise, taking a total of anywhere between 195 and 350 hours to complete everything and own all cars. However, there is one pretty big caveat - B-Spec. You could run events at 3X speed to earn credits, surely making it faster. But I can't really calculate it.

It's also significant that most of that time is spent naturally playing the game, because it had so much to do, including 24 Hour Endurance races which obviously add a huge chunk on alone.

Still, even with all that, the complete time without META grinding is thousands of hours less than GT7.
Isn't DTM faster to earn credits? You get around 800,000 per completion and can speed up with B-Spec which you can't do with the Rally

Isn't DTM faster to earn credits? You get around 800,000 per completion and can speed up with B-Spec which you can't do with the Rally
Maybe, I'm only going off memory and what I found on a bit of googling and this forum.

But yeah if there is something faster, that would only reduce the numbers even further obviously.

Another thread gas-lighting the community, as if many of us don't own PS1/2/3 (or emulators) and still play the old games (especially since we've had a 9 year drought) I swear half of PD's studio has sock-puppet's on this site just to put up a defense of their gotcha game practices...

"You always needed to grind National-level races for credits. International and S-class? Never heard of them"
"You always needed to pay $200 for an F1, lest you take the week off to grind a single race for 40hr"
"You always needed to grind dirt rally as they were the only races that paid well in past games"
"You always needed to watch the UCD for cars lest you miss them and have to wait 3mo for them to return"

Don't believe your lying eyes, people! Gran Turismo 7 is the most generous product any company has ever released to the public. PD deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for their supremely altruistic gift to us all! I think it's only right that we all tithe to Saint Kaz with micro-transactions in thanks for everything he has done for us!

GT4
  • 102/ 1 = 102 hours "end game" to buy all the cars.

The fastest way to earn credits in GT4 is the German Touring Car championship, which earns you 893.749 credits in 17-18 minutes (with loading times and using B-Spec x3). The championship gives you 150.000 and the prize car is 743.749 credits, car being the CLK-GTR.

The RSC Rally Car is 264.000 with 10.000 extra from the 2 races, which I assume the 5 minutes are with using the Formula GT. So it's 274.000 (and it's more like 6 minutes with loading times). Which is less. But still. It's still enough to put into perspective how much better it is compared to GT7.
20-30 hours compared to over 400... lol.

And like you said, B-Spec in GT4 is a game changer. There's a 24 hour race in GT4 where it gives you 1.2 million credits AND a Formula GT that you can sell for 1.5 million credits. This is a perfect way to get credits while you are a day or 2 away from home.
Or the 1000km Fuji which you can leave it overnight and gives you 750.000 credits plus 743.749 for selling the prize car, a R92CP.

The FGT championship alone gives you 4.5 million which is enough to buy one of the most expensive cars which also costs 4.5 million. But of course you didn't put this into account...

No, I indeed don't have the time so we're just assuming that you have zero credits in every game as a level playing field once you've finished the main game, and you haven't bought a single car. Of course in reality you will have already bought some cars and probably have a whole bunch of credits, but as I say, I had to try and normalise it without sitting here spending literal weeks working out any real data.

So I think imagining a starting point of zero credits at the end of each games main gameplay is the fairest approach.
Yeah, I thought so. Way too much work finding all the credits you win from all events.

Last edited:
You were comparing the game's content, that GT1 wasn't long enough... Not the "ability to easily get cars". ... ...
If we go by that, Seamus already posted that it takes 20-30 hours to get all the cars END-game in GT1.
Yet, it takes at least 400 hours as of right now for GT7. So again, where is GT1 worse in this? Not even close.
The premise of the thread is that all GT games have been super slow to collect cars like GT7 is. That's not true, and GT1 is the best example of that. It's not about better or worse, it's about GT1 being much, MUCH faster to collect cars.
As for GT5... It never had grinding (to extreme levels) at launch because the game at launch still takes hundreds of hours to complete. The grinding for "cleaning up" or get the rest of the cars can only be measured at the end-game after you finished all the events.
And in terms of number and quality of events, GT5 at launch was great, and just got slightly better after spec II with the seasonal events and better grinding methods as well as with the Online Car Dealership.
And again, grinding in GT5 is far less painful because you have the B-Spec for that.
This is just wrong. In 1.01 you had to start grinding (ie. repeating content that you'd already cleared) at about level 23/24. There simply weren't enough events to get you further without repeating something. Rubberbanding Like the Wind was the choice, if I recall. Seasonals didn't exist yet, and B-Spec was an entirely separate XP bar. To get to level 40 in A or B-Spec you had to seriously grind.
GT5 was an exagerated grind overall (the time it took me to reach A-Spec and B-Spec level 40 and buying 1.000 cars was ridiculous) but at least it had content for years and it didn't need updated content after 2 weeks post-launch like GT7 which is just pathetic.
Oh look, even you agree that GT5 was grindy. What a surprise. How do you write "never had grinding" and "was an exaggerated grind" about the same game in the same post and not think about what you're saying?

It didn't have content for years at release, it had XP barriers that meant that enormous time investments were required to access the final endurance races. That's not content, that's content gating. Doing all the races that were in GT5 at launch takes a while because there's a bunch of endurance races, but it's not really that massive. Unlocking them all is what takes years.

Quite sure the answer is NO

Thread dedicated to teenagers who complain about this.
Check out each and every single other GT game. I dont have the exact numbers, but all the veterans who played every game should remember that every single Gran Turismo game, you needed to spend a heck of a lot of time playing in order to buy all cars.
Some more (as they had more cars) and some less. But in general, each and everyone of the games required A LOT of playing to complete the car collection.
So for anyone here angry, wanting all cars easily, I'm afraid you got into the wrong franchise.
Edit: and for everyone arguing about lack of events - yes, thats the only issue here, the game is a bit half done and lots of events and stuff missing, that will come in updates.
My only deal is ok always been able to make credits time trials they cut that out and all of a sudden $20 for 2 mil credits thats bull.
Only other gripe is bop is awesome but at least let us have brake bias

This is just wrong. In 1.01 you had to start grinding (ie. repeating content that you'd already cleared) at about level 23/24. There simply weren't enough events to get you further without repeating something. Rubberbanding Like the Wind was the choice, if I recall. Seasonals didn't exist yet, and B-Spec was an entirely separate XP bar. To get to level 40 in A or B-Spec you had to seriously grind.

Oh look, even you agree that GT5 was grindy. What a surprise. How do you write "never had grinding" and "was an exaggerated grind" about the same game in the same post and not think about what you're saying?

It didn't have content for years at release, it had XP barriers that meant that enormous time investments were required to access the final endurance races. That's not content, that's content gating. Doing all the races that were in GT5 at launch takes a while because there's a bunch of endurance races, but it's not really that massive. Unlocking them all is what takes years.
I only started to grind at about levels 27-28 to reach level 30 for the Red Bull challenges and then for the endurance races.

As I said, the game was grindy for the levels you had to achieve which were also needed for the events you had to do. But this is gameplay progression (even if not well designed). This isn't end-game... And knowing you just have to grind a bit more for more events is better than finishing a game after less than 20 hours and staying 1 week (and counting) waiting for events to finally appear for me to do, which I am not even sure what it's going to be at all.
And even outside endurances, you had lots of challenges and championships to do, more than any other game in the series aside from GT4, so let's not even compare it to GT7 which is what it's at stake here.

However, when it comes to car collecting, which is the main discussion of this thread, it was still far less grindy than GT7. That's the whole point we are all discussing here.

So let's just forget about the rest. We are on the same page that GT5 and GT6 were a mess, relatively speaking. So let's move on mate. We are just strictly talking about car collecting.

Last edited:
Well actually, not really. Epecially with the older titles.
GT2 is giving prize cars like crazy, making it hard to keep track of what you've got really fast.
In GT3, with some luck, you can unlock Formula GT in just about an Hour and a half and then just fly your way trough the carrer mode. But even without it, the game is still very generous in both prizes and money.

GT4 Adds B-Spec to the table, which makes money-earning and car receiving process (for example, in 24 hour races) very easy. But overall progression and car obtaining was quite easy and enjoyable.

And keep in mind, theese games were BIG at the time and took just as much time and resources to make, and the technology and the amount of specialists was not as huge as it is now. And theese games were shipped COMPLETE on day 1, because they had no way to update the game, add missing stuff and fix critical bugs and economic system after release.

GT5 was a bit slower for me, but the slowest thing about it was loading times :D
Never had any problems with getting the car of my dream in the game. Of course, there were some really expensive cars (20,000,000 Cr.) but i never had to grind the same event over and over again in order to get that money. Everithing, including tuning parts and ability to purchase unlimited amount of cars was always in my disposal. Career mode was big and seasonal events were there to keep things rolling. And I never even touched B-Spec.

Can't say much about GT6, haven't played it alot, since It's just a polished GT5 on steroids.

GT Sport...never had any issues. I've won tons of cool cars with daily workout and never had to spend a lot of money on anything. But it wasn't a full title, more like a demo of what's coming. The later added Arcade mode wasn't fun and rewarding as it used to be in other games.

And then we're here...we've never had a full GT game since 2013 (9 years!)
Last time we had any gt was GT Sport in 2017 (5 years!)

And GT7 comes in, which in a few words is, a sad, missed opportunity.

The game has almost no new content. 100 new cars and a few tracks and features. Not even a simple classic career mode.
The technology is there with laser-scanning for cars and tracks, many things like 3d models can be outsorced, like almost every other company does, including Forza.
The game is also likely compromised, because it has to run on a standart PS4 in order to sell more copies. Never heard of a GT Sport for PS3, GT5 for PS2 or GT3 for PS1

And then you're adding all the cherries on top. I can hardly imagine why there has to be an online DRM. Nobody is going to hack a save file and go online, especially in competition modes. No car manufacturer needs an always online status for a video game. And if a hacker wants to crack something - he will.

Big companies always tell that it's about you. It's your fault that you expect high quality, adequate economics and can't understand the pride and joy of getting a 20,000,000 Cr. car in half a year time of gameplay. It's your fault that you think that paying 200$ for a car in the game is not ok. And it's your fault that you expect that after paying 70$ for a game, you will actually be able to play it. And like in every other game that has online connectivity, and as GT5/6 already have shown, you can say bye-bye to your digital goods as soon as they decide to turn off their servers. And the game will be half-functioning.

Not an issue with any older game, like 1/2/3/4! You can play them whenever you want and enjoy them for the rest of your life in the same exact way.

5 Years

And not even a cool collector's edition with a scale car like they used to do...
To say GT7 is a missed opportunity and lacking content isn’t fair on PD.

The effort required to make all the cars suitable for the tuning parts and the visual impact some of those parts have - wide body kits for basically everything for example - is a lot of effort on models as detailed as those in GT7.

Not to mention that for the GT7 levels of car modelling a single car can take 3 months of modelling effort. “Only” adding 100 cars is significant effort too.

On top of that we got a new physics model and a single player integrated with multiplayer.

Assuming PD support GT7 like they did GTS, the content will continue to come and there is already a significant amount of work done for this release.

The effort required to make all the cars suitable for the tuning parts and the visual impact some of those parts have - wide body kits for basically everything for example - is a lot of effort on models as detailed as those in GT7.

Not to mention that for the GT7 levels of car modelling a single car can take 3 months of modelling effort. “Only” adding 100 cars is significant effort too.

On top of that we got a new physics model and a single player integrated with multiplayer.

Assuming PD support GT7 like they did GTS, the content will continue to come and there is already a significant amount of work done for this release.
It's been 9 years since GT6... And 3 months is the work time of 1 person which is what most companies use for reference. They have a team of about 10-15 working on the cars. Otherwise how would they have released 5-6 cars per month back in the GT Sport days?

I can understand the number of cars being this "low", but I can't understand at all why we only have sub 20 hours of events to play at launch and why did they decide to have the payouts of the little events we have be utter crap. This isn't us being unfair, this is PD being unfair and unreasonable with us fans, especially those long-time fans, some of which bought a PS5 just for Gran Turismo.

You do realise PD is a company with hundreds of staff, right? All those tasks you mentioned, they're all done by different people, as are the people making events. Nobody is modelling some spoilers in the morning, coding multiplayer netcode in the afternoon and then finishing up by making some events.

Last edited:
IIRC the even bigger problem with GT5 before Spec II was how often a car you needed to complete a series would be lost somewhere in the Used Car Dealership pool.
The only car you had a problem with about this was the Formula Gran Turismo.

(Also in GT4 you can start with a Zonda LM Race Car and/or Toyota 7 without doing any events just by doing the Licenses and Missions)
Actually in GT4 you can start the campaign with a Group C car right away, the R89C which is one of the best cars in the game.

Although it's just a "bit" harder to obtain it 😅 But after you get the IA license, the missions are there for you to do them.

However, when it comes to car collecting, which is the main discussion of this thread, it was still far less grindy than GT7. That's the whole point we are all discussing here.
And I never said it wasn't, so I don't know why you even started in with me other than some bizarre urge to defend GT5 from flaws you admit it has.
Sure it is. It's the truth. Doing lots of work doesn't change the final result. It looks great, drives pretty well, and has improved in a lot of ways over past GT games.

It still lacks content and completely misses the opportunity to be the best GT game ever.

If it gets the sort of support that GTS did then it might one day become a good, or even great game. But the backlash makes that somewhat less likely, Polyphony and Sony aren't going to want to put a lot of money into propping up a dying brand or a game that isn't being played by a large number of people.

I'm astonished that there are still others who are criticising those of us who keep pointing this out. It's not like we want to be disappointed in GT7 (which is what I assumed is being alluded to) but i'm not going to pretend to be satisfied with how the game is just because i'm a long-term GT fan. If anything I must call out when the games are BS, as a consumer, in the hope the developers will listen and make the necessary changes.
Well said.

I'm starting to get a feeling that it's all just a demo...or big companies got so comfortable with their marketing, monopolies and fanbases that they don't care anymore.

PS5 has been around for more than a year now, and...I can't really say that it has any games up to this date!

If you go to playstation store on your PS5 and select PS5 games tab, majority of it will be Mobile garbage / Unacceptable quality products / hentai puzzles for 5 year olds. I mean 50-60% of the whole games are this. It's like Sony doesn't care what games to put on the store, as long as they run on a console. And this is your pride and joy, your next-generation flagship toy!

The whole position of making games run on PS4 and PS5 is very compromising and not encouraging. I don't feel satisfied with the final products, because as a game dev myself I know that they could be much better.

One very special example is the latest Ratchet and Clank title. I love this game. It's awesome in every single way!

BUT! It's just tiny!!! The game is so small and short that I really consider it a demo of what an actual Ratchet and Clank game will look like, when It's done. The Ratchet and Clank 2 (going commando) for PS2 is a gigantic game compared to the latest one.

And this is a terrifying trend, It's all over the place. GTA 5, GT7, R&C, you name it. Many of the AAA games get released on PS4 and thus don't look as good as they could or get optimized really well and utilize the full potential.

We get unfinished games for the full price and some promises that in 3-4 years there will be a little more content and a few updates.

It's great that we can update our games now, but it's terrible that companies are comfortable releasing unfinished projects. Back in a day, if you're buying a game, you get a real, full-blown game. And dev's couldn't rebalance economics, fix critical bugs and add content. They did all the work before releasing the game. Not after.

And now, even with the GT7 released, I can say that there are no racing games for PS5. Not a single Next-gen exclusive project, and a GT Sport on steroids with new cars and a little cafe mode. Wow.

Last edited:

I would say that many of the "wide body" modifications...though I appreciate what is available...took about 10minutes per car to implement. They are literally going into the base model and pulling the fenders....just like the little model that plays while it is loading. Certainly it takes more time to roll a fender in real life, which is a pretty easy process.

Last edited:
I would say that many of the "wide body" modifications...though I appreciate what is available...took about 10minutes per car to implement. They are literally going into the base model and pulling the fenders....just like the little model that plays while it is loading. Certainly it takes more time to roll a fender in real life, which is a pretty easy process.
Yeah, the customization on the base level is without question better then Forza Aero, but still, it's ocean wide and puddle deep considering there is no real attempt at anything wilder, or preferably, licensed body kits and aero like Forza does and continues to add.

Joking? Gt sport was really hard to get all multi millions cars, unless you grinded like a madman several hous a day repeating the same race over and over again. And they never gifted you those expensive cars in the roulette
OK, just because you never won them, doesn't mean that the roulette didn't give them to you.

credits per hour wise GTS was a quicker grind than GT7 and the car values were lower (generally speaking). For example, in GTS the McLaren F1 was 1m credits. In GT7 it is a whopping 18.5m.

So no, I wasn't joking.

OK, just because you never won them, doesn't mean that the roulette didn't give them to you.

credits per hour wise GTS was a quicker grind than GT7 and the car values were lower (generally speaking). For example, in GTS the McLaren F1 was 1m credits. In GT7 it is a whopping 18.5m.

So no, I wasn't joking.
At some point the Roulette stopped providing Unicorns, i can't remember the patch maybe @Famine can, i got the P330 before the patch, since then i did see unicorns on the wheel, never got one.

For those that skipped GT-Sport, i earned 77 million credits by playing GT-Sport for 5 years and that includes 40+ grind races at lemans with a very lucky gift called the P330.

From what i have experienced so far GT7 will provide me with credits faster than GTS because i will actually play the single player content and that pays way better than online racing ever did in GT-Sport.

Back