Help GTPlanet Fight Alzheimer's Disease in 2009!

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 36 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This promotion is now over, but it was once again a great success!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the last two years, GTPlanet has hosted our very own philanthropic event around Christmas time. Our contributions to the Alzheimer's Association have grown steadily, and I'm happy to continue this great tradition again this year! As I have shared before, not long ago I lost my own grandfather to this horrific disease. This special promotion with the Alzheimer's Association keeps him on my mind during the holidays, and all of your continued participation in this event means a lot more to me than any dollar amount. Of course, it's also great to see GTPlanet members helping each other! Most subscriptions/donations are given as gifts - a testament to the awesome community we have all built. Keep reading for more information about how this works - I hope you will be able to help! :)

About the Alzheimer's Association
Alzheimer's is a heartbreaking disease which affects millions of people every day. It begins with short term memory loss, and slowly progresses until even the most basic mental functions are impossible. Anyone who knows a victim of the disease understands how horrible it can be when loved ones are no longer able to recognize family members, even their own children and spouses. The Alzheimer's Association fights the disease on both fronts, spending its resources on research and development along with support and care for victims and their families.

Why GTPremium Lifetime?
A GTPremium Lifetime subscription provides you with all the benefits of GTPremium for an indefinite period of time, requiring no further payments or fees. Priced at $49.99, $25 will be donated to the Alzheimer's Association, and the remaining $24.99 will be used to fund your subscription. This offer is available to everyone: if you already have GTPremium, I encourage you to take this opportunity to upgrade. If you have a Lifetime subscription but still want to help, take advantage of our gift subscriptions and surprise one of your friends!

How do I sign up?
It's very simple - just sign up for a GTPremium Lifetime subscription on this page as you normally would, and the payment will be divided up automatically. After the deadline, I will update this thread to show the total number of money we have raised as a community.

How can I give the subscription to someone else?
'Tis always better to give than to receive! If you already have GTPremium, or want to give this subscription as a gift, simply click on the user's name next to any of their forum posts. In the menu that pops up, select "Give GTPremium" and follow the instructions as you would normally. That's it!

This special promotion will last until 11:59 PM (Eastern Standard Time) on December 26, 2008. I look forward to seeing what you guys can do this year, and I hope you are all enjoying your time with loved ones this Christmas!​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This promotion is now over, but it was once again a great success!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
Is it possible to send in cash to you or something to purchase GTPremium. I have no idea how to set up paypal accounts or anything. But seeing this gives me a better reason to get Premium.

Good question, bergauk - you do not need a PayPaly account to sign up. You can use any major credit or debit card. Just continue with your order as you normally would from the Premium page, and look for the following "Continue" link on PayPal.com:

noPayPal.png

Jordan, one other thing you can do to raise money all year is to use goodsearch. Each search makes approximately $.01, but it adds up! I've been using goodsearch (for Cystic Fibrosis, naturally) for about a year or so. Like I said, it adds up, but it's kind of slow going. That's where goodshop comes in. There are plenty of retailers that will make donations to charities - the average being about 2% of the purchase price. 👍

Bonus - goodsearch can be added to IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome and used as your default search engine. :)

Ok, well I did some thinking. I tend to buy things off ebay via one of my friends. I just give him cash and he goes off and buys what I want. What if, I were to give him the money and have him put it into paypal and then purchase my premium that way. Would that work? If so, what steps would I need to take for that to happen?

I said the same thing last year, my grandpa suffers from Alzheimer's as well and it's very hard on the family. We actually had to put him into a nursing home this year. Since I came into some money for graduation I figured I could mange two premiums this year. So homeforsummer and Philly you are both in for life now, enjoy it guys.

Depending on my money situation I might find someone else to give it to as well. I feel strongly about the cause and have no problem donating as well as helping out some e-friends.

So its separate payments? I will donate after a buying something rather expensive for my budget clears up.

I said the same thing last year, my grandpa suffers from Alzheimer's as well and it's very hard on the family. We actually had to put him into a nursing home this year. Since I came into some money for graduation I figured I could mange two premiums this year. So homeforsummer and Philly you are both in for life now, enjoy it guys.

Depending on my money situation I might find someone else to give it to as well. I feel strongly about the cause and have no problem donating as well as helping out some e-friends.
Thanks for contributing, Joey. 👍 It sounds like you are going through the same thing my family also experienced - I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers this year as I know how hard it is. Hang in there.

Ok, well I did some thinking. I tend to buy things off ebay via one of my friends. I just give him cash and he goes off and buys what I want. What if, I were to give him the money and have him put it into paypal and then purchase my premium that way. Would that work? If so, what steps would I need to take for that to happen?
Well, you have two options. You could give him access to your account and point him to the Premium sign up page, then change your password after he's done. Alternatively, he could create his own account and then give it to you as a gift via the method I explained above.

So its separate payments? I will donate after a buying something rather expensive for my budget clears up.
Separate payments? I don't know exactly what you mean, but I can tell you that you only make one, single payment. You just sign up for GTPremium services like you normally would, and I take care of the rest. If you purchase multiple subscriptions for different people, then the answer is yes, you do have to submit a separate payment for each one.

Thanks for contributing, Joey. 👍 It sounds like you are going through the same thing my family also experienced - I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers this year as I know how hard it is. Hang in there.

Thanks Jordan. This is why I am happy to help, not only do I get to help out a great cause but I also get to help out the site and give a little extra to some e-friends.

I'm in, Jordan. Thanks for running a site that gives so much and makes it so easy to give back! :)👍

Although I won't be able to get Premium this time around, I'd like to congratulate you on this idea!

My Grandmother's sister passed away this year, she had Alzheimer's for many years, and around the time of her death she was in a pitiful state. And to have been able to prevent her from being like would've meant so much to my Grandmother.

Again, great idea and I hope that it can help to make a difference!

From,
Chris.

Although I won't be able to get Premium this time around, I'd like to congratulate you on this idea!

My Grandmother's sister passed away this year, she had Alzheimer's for many years, and around the time of her death she was in a pitiful state. And to have been able to prevent her from being like would've meant so much to my Grandmother.

Again, great idea and I hope that it can help to make a difference!

From,
Chris.
Maybe it will. 👍 I believe that my late grandfather also had Alzheimer though he didn't speak English at all, he was a tough man. I would extended my subscription but this is the season and soon I will give it to two other members if I have the money. ( I still need an alignment for my car, etc etc)

Last edited:
Thanks to whoever bought GTPremium for me! I'm extremely greatful and this is a great Christmas present!

From,
Chris.

I feel for you guys, I really do, I hate seeing old people not being able to do anything for themselves. I'm too young but honestly, what 60-70 aud would be less than a weeks pay and if I had a card I would but i'm too young:( Good work guys, keep donating!

I wish I had the money to buy a subscription. But I do hope we reach a new record in fund raising.👍

Count me in. My father & two of my uncles have been stricken with Alzheimer's. My uncle Charles passed away two weeks ago partially to this affliction. Dealing with my father's newly diagnosed condition it's been very difficult for me even though I seeing this coming for the last couple of years.

Count me in. My father & two of my uncles have been stricken with Alzheimer's. My uncle Charles passed away two weeks ago partially to this affliction. Dealing with my father's newly diagnosed condition it's been very difficult for me even though I seeing this coming for the last couple of years.

Sorry to hear about your uncle WJHMH.

Jordan, i will be signing up to Premium status early 2009

So how long is this promotion available for? I'm going to try to see if my best friends dad will purchase it for me. But I don't know how soon that will be.

till the 26th
How can I give the subscription to someone else?
'Tis always better to give than to receive! If you already have GTPremium, or want to give this subscription as a gift, simply click on the user's name next to any of their forum posts. In the menu that pops up, select "Give GTPremium" and follow the instructions as you would normally. That's it!

This special promotion will last until 11:59 PM (Eastern Standard Time) on December 26, 2008. I look forward to seeing what you guys can do this year, and I hope you are all enjoying your time with loved ones this Christmas!

Oh. If it were to be extended a couple days, I could most likely get over to my friends house and get his dad to do it. I'd really like to do this.

Now's the time for me to update my premium (runs out in a week), but alas, I can't at the moment - and by the time I'll be able to, the promotion will be over...

Next year, then.

Since I received a fair bit of money for xmas I felt like I need to gift one more person, who happened to be Moglet, a bit of premium, so enjoy your premium my fellow small car compadre.

I really appreciate this fundraiser.

My mother was just recently diagnosed with this horrible disease. I'm so thankful for being able to enjoy Christmas this year, but I'm really nervous about the next. I fold with my PS3 and 8800GT SLi setup whenever they're idle and pray every night for a cure.

I only logged into gtplanet.net this evening to check the latest news but immediately got in on this awesome deal.

Again, great work with this promotion and congrats on providing such an excellent resource for my Gran Turismo addiction. Perhaps in the new year I can try and challenge some of the Division 1 times. YIKES. :dopey:

Derek.

I hear you there.

In retrospect, I could see it coming as well. I suppose I just didn't want to believe it.

Hindsight is 20/20. :guilty:

Back