High Performance Honda Thread: The S2000 is Back?

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 278 comments

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
kgp_nsx_autoblog_hi02-copy.jpg

kgp_nsx_autoblog_hi05-copy.jpg

Autoblog
The spies at KGP Photography have captured the first shots of the next Acura NSX in its prototype form. Gone is the makeshift S2000 bodywork the car has been photographed in before, replaced by what appears to be its true form: a classic, long-hooded sports car profile that is significantly more muscular and aggressive-looking than the Advanced Sports Car Concept. The camo effectively hides most of the juicy details, particularly up front,. Still, you can make out the three well-defined intake openings there, as well as headlamps that are larger than the slitlike units shown on last year's concept car. In back, stacked square dual exhausts suggest plenty of underhood muscle, which makes sense since a V10 is expected to be nestled under the car's lengthy bonnet. The mule depicted above also suggests a BMW 6-series-like decklid aft of the rear glass, though there's no way of knowing if it incorporates taillamps that run the width of the rear, as we saw on the concept. No matter. It all adds up to something we want to see a lot more of, and soon.

Is it just me, or does something just not feel "right" here? I mean, sure, they've proven that they can build impressive sports cars with the S2000, and that came with a long pedigree before it with the previous S-series cars... But if this is to wear the NSX badge, no, it just doesn't seem right at all. I want my mid-engine sports car back. I may not "like" the NSX, but I respect it, and I'd hate to see them screw with that formula too much.

*sigh*

Still... Avoiding the NSX nameplate, this should be an exciting competitor in the group that will hold the LF-A, ZR1, GT-R V-Spec, and of course the obvious inclusions of the GT2 and SL65 Black Series.

Hold on to your butts kids... Honda isn't going out without a fight!

I was 100% sure going into this that it was about the Audi R8 (I even thought of a smarmy comment to post in reply). After reading what was included within, I wish it was.

This car can't wear the NSX badge if it's going be a front-engine. Seriously, that's like saying the C7 is still a Corvette if they moved the engine to the rear.

I'll avoid stealing everyone else's shtick, because I sympathize, and say that I hope this thing at least is fast, if it's gonna have the engine in the nose....

I loved and hated the old NSX for two very good reasons each. It was beautiful to look at, and quite fast around corners. But, it was way too expensive and didn't have enough power for my tastes with that kind of a pricetag. BUT, overall I liked it.

This new one will undoubtably disappoint me on three levels. The way it looks from the front, side, and rear. The engine, yes I VERY MUCH like non-Viper V10 engines, but I'd prefer a more focused high revving VTEC monster--hell even a VTEC V8 for christ sakes. And, It looks nothing like the original, not even a hint. And most importnatly...FR? Oh hell no! I want a car at least have a hint of its predacessors--and even share a similar engine placement! I will love it if the V10 gets a high revving VTEC system--infact I'd almost encourage it. Make a tiny 4L V10 and the ability to do 11k RPMs and use the VTEC cams and such and it should be fantastic to drive...just stick it in the middle or out back!

On to the looks, that above looks nothing like this:
JH4NA2162WT000038_1.jpg

I'm fine for a redesign/revival, but not when the redesign completely removes what the car originally looks like. It was a low hunkered down supercar. Now it just looks like any other sports coupe with those proportions. Subaru did the same thing with the new WRX by changing what the original style was--which now it looks like ass thats been shot with a shotgun and burned to a crisp. The NSX may well be a good looking car, but it won't even vaguely remind us of the beauty that I just posted. If the pricetag is huge and the V10 isn't VTEC it just may be a complete waste. They have three boxes to tick, how many will they get? Honestly?

[ ] Looks ... Ugh.
[ ] Engine ... VTEC?
[ ] Price ... Less than 80k?

This is like cross-breeding of the S2000 and the Accord. I'm going to miss the S2000 (which should or has already celebrated 10 years of existance) when it's sacked (or will it?) I was disappointed with the design of the latest Accord, so I irked a bit on the Accord-style tail lights. It does bear an interesting design. Something a bit more sporty and in-your-face (when's the last time you read this associated with a Honda?) The lights seem to resemble something like the Nissan S15 Silvia while the front grill and other front ducts have the distinctive S2000 design. I also thought of this as a super del Sol. I think the Accord taillights need to go and bring those latest S2000 taillights. I can really see this having some race car variants made. I already see this as a huge GT wing and perhaps even racing the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring or even Le Mans. It seems like a great car. Thing is, I'm sure more people would want their mid-engined NSX. A re-imagined classic mid/RWD NSX would work very well for me... or again... is the '90s dead?

Interesting car. Keep us posted. Honda isn't going without a fight? That's one of the other seemingly unwritten rules: always hate Honda.

lol, its almost like they cloned the Lexus LF-A....... so similar, but they will be going head to head. :sly:

Insert spy photos here!

I do not know what to make of those pictures. :odd:

Is it just me, or does something just not feel "right" here? I mean, sure, they've proven that they can build impressive sports cars with the S2000, and that came with a long pedigree before it with the previous S-series cars... But if this is to wear the NSX badge, no, it just doesn't seem right at all. I want my mid-engine sports car back. I may not "like" the NSX, but I respect it, and I'd hate to see them screw with that formula too much.

*sigh*

Still... Avoiding the NSX nameplate, this should be an exciting competitor in the group that will hold the LF-A, ZR1, GT-R V-Spec, and of course the obvious inclusions of the GT2 and SL65 Black Series.

I agree. It really is not a NSX if the engine is not sitting mid-ship. Maybe Honda will decide on using a different name on this and make a new NSX also, 💡 though realistically, I doubt Honda would have two high-end performance cars.

This car can't wear the NSX badge if it's going be a front-engine. Seriously, that's like saying the C7 is still a Corvette if they moved the engine to the rear.

Agree on this too.

Calling an FR NSX is more wronger than I can point a stick at... :-|

:lol:

That's not an NSX, that's some sort of sheet. Maybe it's that BMW concept.

The back half could be mistaken for a BMW product.

JCE
I loved and hated the old NSX for two very good reasons each. It was beautiful to look at, and quite fast around corners. But, it was way too expensive and didn't have enough power for my tastes with that kind of a pricetag. BUT, overall I liked it.

I feel much the same way about the NSX. The car is great looking and I still get a bit excited each time I see one on the road. The car was definitely overpriced towards the end of it run considering what one would get if they were to buy one. Earlier in its life where it was considered a less costly Ferrari, then the price may have been a bit more justified.

JCE
This new one will undoubtably disappoint me on three levels. The way it looks from the front, side, and rear. The engine, yes I VERY MUCH like non-Viper V10 engines, but I'd prefer a more focused high revving VTEC monster--hell even a VTEC V8 for christ sakes. And, It looks nothing like the original, not even a hint. And most importnatly...FR? Oh hell no! I want a car at least have a hint of its predacessors--and even share a similar engine placement! I will love it if the V10 gets a high revving VTEC system--infact I'd almost encourage it. Make a tiny 4L V10 and the ability to do 11k RPMs and use the VTEC cams and such and it should be fantastic to drive...just stick it in the middle or out back!

Who says this car will not be a high-revving VTEC monster? :mischievous: I pretty much expect Honda to put a high-revving motor into this car and cannot really see Honda going any other way motor wise. Now, engine placement wise, I could see Honda putting the motor up front. As long as it does not carry the NSX name plate with an engine in the front, then I do not think I would have too much of a problem with it.

wowww is everyone going to start copying the IS F tailpipe design?

This is one of the first things I noticed in the picture and I really am wondering about it because I am not too sure I like the stacked vertical exhaust pipes.

Who says this car will not be a high-revving VTEC monster? :mischievous: I pretty much expect Honda to put a high-revving motor into this car and cannot really see Honda going any other way motor wise. Now, engine placement wise, I could see Honda putting the motor up front. As long as it does not carry the NSX name plate with an engine in the front, then I do not think I would have too much of a problem with it.

I'm all for a high revving VTEC V10 monster. I think it'd be brilliant actually, but, it isn't MR. That's like remaking the RX-7 and putting a regular V6 under the bonnet. You just...can't. :indiff:

wowww is everyone going to start copying the IS F tailpipe design?

Actually, the two thinks I really like about that car in those pictures ARE the exhaust and the wheels.

Looks like it has only 160hp-200hp, rather than the power it needs to take on the GT-R and company.

Not very inspiring...

See, the funny thing is that I'd rather have them build an S2000 '2.0' with a bit more gusto, at the same, low-low price... It just seems like Honda would have more success playing in that lower ground that will be populated by Camaros, Challengers, Mustangs, Genesis Coupes, whatever that Toyota thing will be, etc... Than with the "big kids."

Then again, I often forget they have the Acura brand for a reason. But with the next RL likely adding a V8, it does make me wonder if this thing will use the same power plant?

^^It'll probably be a V10.

I hope it is not named the NSX, but other than that, things are looking good. Im getting quite excited over this car. 👍

I'll +1 to what everyone else has said: It's got the engine up front! :banghead:

And what's with the stacked exhaust? It doesn't look powerful, graceful or good in any way (unless ricerish is good...). It makes the lower part of the rear just seem to have too much height. And on this car, the whole rear just seems way too tall.

See, the funny thing is that I'd rather have them build an S2000 '2.0' with a bit more gusto, at the same, low-low price... It just seems like Honda would have more success playing in that lower ground that will be populated by Camaros, Challengers, Mustangs, Genesis Coupes, whatever that Toyota thing will be, etc... Than with the "big kids."

Hasn't Honda given up their "sporty" image? I would expect this to be more of a GT focused on luxury with performance not being too high a priority.

Then again, I often forget they have the Acura brand for a reason. But with the next RL likely adding a V8, it does make me wonder if this thing will use the same power plant?

That brings up an interesting question: What about Acura? There is no doubt that this thing will be a high end luxury car. Isn't that what Acura was made for? I could see this fitting into that lineup quite nicely.

It'll be an Acura in North America, no question about that... Everywhere else, its going to be a Honda. I'm not sure why they haven't separated the brands yet in Asia and Europe, because correct me if I'm wrong, that's just starting to happen with Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti...

I guess that way we won't really have to worry too much about it being called an NSX or the NSX image being damaged, will we? The NSX was sold as an Acura in later years (I believe) but I'm sure most of us still think of it as a Honda. Maybe it'll be as much an NSX successor as the LF-A is a Supra successor.

Guys, its an Acura, not a Honda. ;)

Who knows if this is gonna replace the Acura NSX as their flagship car. It could even be just an Acura only car like the CL. Wait, maybe its a CL replacement! 💡

But on the looks of things, I think it looks quite like the LF-A and has just about the same performance spec. So yeah, not much else to comment about that. :indiff:

The design, even as a camouflaged prototype, is pure sex. However, as stressed by many I WILL NOT, and CANNOT accept anything but a MID-ENGINED NSX. Honda, traditionalise this vehicle, have it remind us of the original mid-engined beauty that once showed the world that Ferrari and Porsche weren't the only supercars cars out there.

Looks like it has only 160hp-200hp, rather than the power it needs to take on the GT-R and company.

Not very inspiring...
This car is going to have a V10. Do you know how much of a waste a V10 would be in this car if it only produced 200Bhp?

I'm positive Honda will keep to their predictions of this car having around 500Bhp.

Not sure what will happen.
However, being the guy I am... I feel appearance is key when dealing with these super sports cars. 100,000 is going to be fast, even as slowest of the lot and I judge a car with that in mind.
This is an epic failure as the NSX successor with the above idea in mind.

That's a Z4 bred with a Z350. 👎

Compared to the NSX of '92 or '02 I'd say it is a far cry from attractive.
The only hope for me now is overwhelming performance. Back of the pack or front of the pack, if it can provide "overwhelming" performance I'll be satisfied (to some extent). "Overwhelming" needs to be along the likes of the R35 or Z06, with a proper NSX derived 8cylinder pushing 3200lbs or less at 400hp I could see Honda satisfying my taste.

However, as it stands now, I'm expecting the NSX to die like a zombie killed for the second time.

This car is going to have a V10. Do you know how much of a waste a V10 would be in this car if it only produced 200Bhp?

I'm positive Honda will keep to their predictions of this car having around 500Bhp.

Well, look at it. Does it not look like a smaller practical sedan than a slightly larger track monster? Yes, it may be projected at 500hp, however the exterior does not deliver that same message. So, 'not very passionate'.

since when has Honda made cars that look passionate? F430 doesn't look too passionate either, more like feminine, 4-wheeled feline. "Passionate car" brings Alfa Romeo to my mind.

Looks like someone decided the gauntlet must be thrown.

Autoblog
Honda CEO demands NSX be faster around 'Ring than GT-R
timetobeat_opt.jpg

By now we've all seen the spy shots showing Acura's NSX revival bombing around the Nürburgring in Germany. There's a reason those drivers are pushing their prototype hard enough to get air through the turns. Inside Line is reporting the Honda CEO Takeo Fukui wants his NSX to toast both the Nissan GT-R and the Lexus LF-A around the Green Hell. Considering that the GT-R has posted lap times on the 'Ring that utterly defy what it should be able to do on paper, and that the LF-A is still a moving target that's trying to best the GT-R too, Honda engineers have some serious work to do developing the NSX over the next two years. IL suspects the next NSX will get a 5.5L V10 producing 550 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque that's derived from a V8 that's slated for the next-gen, rear-wheel-drive Acura RL. They also surmise that it will use an 8-speed auto with paddle shifters, feature an advanced version of Honda's Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive system and use lots of aluminum in its construction to keep weight down. Unfortunately, by the time the NSX arrives, the GT-R V-Spec will have moved the bar again.

Looks like there is going to be a mighty big power war going on over in Japan over the next couple of years. Should be quite entertaining to see what they come up with.

Back