High Performance Honda Thread: The S2000 is Back?

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 278 comments
Highly, highly debatable. At launch it was criticised for being snappy and having poor steering feel, at least in the tests I read at the time. It was also criticised in some quarters for being a little breathless unless you were really going for it, as you've alluded to.

Of car mags I own from the S2000's launch pitting it against the Boxster, the S2K won very few tests.

I'm sure the S2000 is an excellent car, but as with many Japanese cars its Internet reputation seems greatly inflated next to its reception at launch.

Though also like many Japanese cars, it doesn't take many modifications to turn it into something genuinely special.

I actually have a circa-2000 road and track that pitted the TT, Z3 M, S2000, and Boxster S against each other. In basically every measurable performance category, the S2000 was faster. Subjectively, the Boxster won handily. Unfortunately the Boxster has a terrible engine that is subject to self-grenading at any point in time. S2000 is tons of fun, but the engine feels like it wants to fly apart at redline, even if it never does. (Keep in mind, the only one I have driven was around 100k miles, but I've heard they have the same character from new) I really want an S2000.

VVT is used everywhere now. Even pushrod Chevys have it. A resurgence of the VTAK wars of the 90's would be meaningless.

VTEC is a little different through. Not many other systems incorporate variable lift. I think Toyota and Porsche do, but not sure if anyone else does.

VTEC is a little different through. Not many other systems incorporate variable lift. I think Toyota and Porsche do, but not sure if anyone else does.

BMW has Valvetronic. Toyota has VVTL and Porsche has something. I suspect most companies have developed variable lift in some application or another, as the old VTEC implementation is over 20 years old.

Of course, the modern turbo engines of today remove some of the appeal, I feel.

I don't think any piston engine has yet developed an equivalent to a 6 port rotary (1984 and up for the Mazdas). It would be like adding an additional valve above a certain RPM...which would be awesome.

I don't think any piston engine has yet developed an equivalent to a 6 port rotary (1984 and up for the Mazdas). It would be like adding an additional valve above a certain RPM...which would be awesome.
That actually could be done but I'm not sure how it would work as far as timing. Somehow it would have to engine at the precise moment or something.

could be based on this:
i1MTIO8UJr9jlSH.jpg

(Honda Vision GT Concept)

Back