hyundai the toughest car company of them all?

Read thread title.

• Yes.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Ford? GM? those cars are pure garbage... your from michigan, so your biased... those companies provide half of the jobs in the state

If you read the entire context of my post, in reference to Jim pointing out that even if Hyundai could manage to become number one, it wouldn't last long, based on the way things have been lately. Anyone with basic automobile knowledge would realize that what I posted there is the succession of top-selling automakers over the past 100 or so years, with a few assumed add ons at the end. My point is that when you're number one, you've gotta work a lot harder than you think to stay there, and consequently, there has been a lot of rotation just in the past five years alone.

All of that being said, I find it highly unlikely that Hyundai will ever crack the top three in the US. There is far too much built-in preference toward more mainstream, established brands for the slanty-h brand to make a big stand.

Rednecks love em, that explains the profit... Let's not pretend like Ford has ever been known for its reliability. More like Liability...

"Found On Road Dead" i didn't make that up. I guess if your into Ugly, poorly made cars Ford is for you!
I can't speak for the US market but Fords over here are pretty good standard, the Focus we get and Mondeo have won plenty of awards between them. The new Fiesta is tipped to e great. I have a Focus 1.6, a T reg so it's definitely not new and it's been very reliable. It does plenty of long distances with work as well. The Mustang? Never driven one, I persoanlly think they're average, but it's the kind of car you buy for what it is, you like it or you don't. We don't really see them over here. The S-Max, one of the best MPV's on the market when it launched. There's been plenty of good Fords in the last decade. The last ime I think they had a stigma of being an unreliable company here I think wa in the mid 90's. I'm not saying Ford are superior to everything else, beacuse they're not, it's a very competetive market for a lot of the cars that compete with the various Fords, competetive inboth price and performance so there are plenty of other options that are decent besides Fords sometimes better sometimes worse. But from personal experience and that of my friends, there's usually not much wrong with a Ford from the last 10 years.

Apparently when you're old and retarded you call your refer to your gray Santa Fe as the "the gray Honda out there".

Happens at least once a week to me. Also, who knew that Buick actually makes Kia? :dunce:

Enough with the Fords, please.

And Eric....i didnt even know buick had any thing to do with kia..

Apparently when you're old and retarded you call your refer to your gray Santa Fe as the "the gray Honda out there".

Happens at least once a week to me. Also, who knew that Buick actually makes Kia? :dunce:

Where do you get these things? :lol:

Rednecks love em, that explains the profit...

*slap* lolWUT.

One, stereotyping ftw. Two, rednecks dislike pretty much all of Ford's current lineup aside from the trucks (I know a few). Three, it's their cars that are selling right now, more specifically the Fusion, Flex and Focus. Edge isn't doing too bad, nor is the Taurus.

Some of them are soccer mom mobiles, yes, but if they didn't do their job as well as they do then they wouldn't sell. ;)

Last edited:
"Found On Road Dead" i didn't make that up. I guess if your into Ugly, poorly made cars Ford is for you!

So... what does that make Hyundai? Old Hyundais were cheap because, yes, they were disposable. And almost everything pre-90's is garbage. Half of the 90's+ cars are garbage, and that trend only started going the right way in the late 90's and early 00's.

Old jokes are just that... old jokes. Ford's recent upswing is not as dramatic as Hyundais, but they've been working on their turnaround for years. Ford's European products are still best-sellers in some markets (the Euro-spec Focus and Mondeo, for example), and their Mazda-derived cars (Euro/Asian-spec Ranger, for one... Familia and Demio rebadges) have done well in Asia... though our old Demio/Laser (back in the 80's) rusted faster than you could start the engine... the Lynx/Laser we bought a few years ago is doing fine, and I'm still thinking about buying a secondhand Focus diesel off my Dad by year's end. (insanely good car... much better than the Civic or the Mazda3 in terms of refinement and handling... and none of the other stuff in the compact class even counts after those two...)

Fords nowadays are solid products. The only disconnect is that they're solid products elsewhere, while Ford of North America, hobbled by production issues, union issues, and tooling costs, was suffering until quite lately. The carmageddon is actually good for them, as it's pushing Americans into smaller cars... cars that they've been trying to give them for years (Contour?), only to suffer rejection... and it's allowing them to restructure production so that they can hopefully build their European cars inside the US more cheaply.

Heck, even their new Expedition is a surprisingly competent product. A far cry from the wallowy, under-braked leviathan of yesteryear. And it actually gets halfway decent mileage for a big V8.

And yeah, Hyundai is pretty serious. The i10 was the most successful car as a result of our scrappage scheme over here.

Because unlike other superminis... it actually feels like a real car, not a tin can.

One friend described it, over a year ago, as being the micro-car BMW would build if they built these sorts of things.

I kind of agree. Apart from the hard plastics and somewhat stiff ride (common in this class), the car drives well, steers well, feels roomy and feels incredibly well screwed together (thumps over bumps instead of klumpfs). It even... gasp... has a nice engine note for a small four-pot.

And it's incredibly cheap. Just over half the price of the Honda Fit 1.5.

I wouldn't count them out as the company to kick Volkswagen off the top spot once they get there. But they're going to have to work their butts off to become a big player in the alternative energy scene if they want to be top dog.

They've got propane-hybrids in the pipeline... propane vehicles in production... regular hybrids... and diesels (the Getz, and now the i30) that have whupped the Prius's butt in economy trials (and one of those trials was in actual London traffic!).

Brother visited the Hyundai corporate center in Korea... he said it was fantastic. Many of the cars on the road there are Hyundais, and their top-of-the-line models are serious business. They tooled him around in the older Equus or Opirus, and he said it was actually quite nice.

I still have a 2001 santa fe, v6, 4wd. Engine is weak and pain to work on. Fuel economy is worse than some of the v8s I've owned. Quality is pretty bad, everything that can rust, rusted within 4 years. One of the few good things is the 4WD, for some reason, it seems the 2001 had a locking diff in the rear? It puts the 4wd in my element to shame.
Yes it's a 2001, but 2000/2001 models were the first of the quality cars they started making. Almost got a 2009 santa fe, unfortunately I had to wait 2-3 months for the non $30+k v6 models to become available.

Too bad you got the first-gen. The second-gen is so much nicer. Don't know about how well the automatic will hold up over time... but the entire car feels pretty darn good.

-

You can trace a line of progress through Hyundai's models. Drive examples that were built in the 80's (dreadful), 90's (subpar), early 00's (okay, but not good), mid-00's (good, but not class leading) to the late 00's (Genesis, i10... these are Hyundais?!?... no way!).

And if they manage to stay on the upward spiral, there's no telling how far they'll go.

As long as NoKor doesn't nuke SoKor within the next few months...

Last edited:
I can't speak for the US market but Fords over here are pretty good standard, the Focus we get and Mondeo have won plenty of awards between them. The new Fiesta is tipped to e great. I have a Focus 1.6, a T reg so it's definitely not new and it's been very reliable. It does plenty of long distances with work as well.

Unfortunately Fords USDM doesn't get the same models, we are left with stripped down versions that can't be compared to the UK models. See the Cosworth, Focus RS and as far back as the Merkur Xr4TI.

But back on topic.....
I have an 07 G35 and have considered trading it in for the Genesis Coupe especially after Road&Track's road test of both cars and the Genesis pretty much hanging with the G35 in most areas.

All of that being said, I find it highly unlikely that Hyundai will ever crack the top three in the US. There is far too much built-in preference toward more mainstream, established brands for the slanty-h brand to make a big stand.
The same is true over here in Europe. Hyundai is still considered as a B-grade brand. The official importers not bringing over the cool models doesn't help either.

The same is true over here in Europe. Hyundai is still considered as a B-grade brand. The official importers not bringing over the cool models doesn't help either.
Hyundai still isent selling the genesis coupe or sedan in Europe? So i guess that goes for the equss as well.

They've got propane-hybrids in the pipeline... propane vehicles in production... regular hybrids... and diesels (the Getz, and now the i30) that have whupped the Prius's butt in economy trials (and one of those trials was in actual London traffic!).

But they're still a long ways behind Toyota and Honda (in the US at least). And they'll have to be competitive with those two (I think) if they want to make serious gains here. It's similar to the SUV craze ten years ago where whoever didn't have one was getting left behind.

But they're still a long ways behind Toyota and Honda (in the US at least). And they'll have to be competitive with those two (I think) if they want to make serious gains here. It's similar to the SUV craze ten years ago where whoever didn't have one was getting left behind.
Thats the thing, look how far they have come in just that short of a time, Not even toyota pulled that off.. just imagine were they will be in 5-7 years...
Hyundai...could have been like deawoo.

That doesn't mean much when there is still a fairly significant ceiling over your head. Simply put, there is still too much competition for Hyundai to be able to become this be-all, end-all giant in North America without falling into many of the same pitfalls that have captured Ford, GM and Toyota previously. More specifically, as Hyundai appears to think that they need to fill every niche with a new product, they're doomed to fail.

That doesn't mean much when there is still a fairly significant ceiling over your head. Simply put, there is still too much competition for Hyundai to be able to become this be-all, end-all giant in North America without falling into many of the same pitfalls that have captured Ford, GM and Toyota previously. More specifically, as Hyundai appears to think that they need to fill every niche with a new product, they're doomed to fail.
I never thought of that honestly, Especially since their already refreshing the genesis sedan in one month...they were going to wait but they decided to rush it out. with a few minor exterior changes..but with 3 new engines.

I have an 07 G35 and have considered trading it in for the Genesis Coupe especially after Road&Track's road test of both cars and the Genesis pretty much hanging with the G35 in most areas.

Oh no dont do that... the genesis is a fun car and all but i would take a G35 any day over the genesis.

I don't know... Nissan is one of the few Japanese companies that does interior plastics almost as badly as the Koreans... :lol:

Well... it's only in America. They're pioneering in fields that matter in their main markets overseas... in fact, I'd rate Hyundai's diesel technology over Toyota (Honda doesn't even count... they don't make their own...).

They are doing hybrids, but they're focusing on making hybrids that fit their market profile in Korea, first.

Hyundai still isent selling the genesis coupe or sedan in Europe?
Not yet, but they are coming. But the NL importer is considering to import just the sedan. :banghead: Because the coupe doesn't fit in with the rest of their 'eco' line. 👎

Oh no dont do that... the genesis is a fun car and all but i would take a G35 any day over the genesis.

Oh by all means he should do it.
The G35 has nothing on the GC 3.8 Track. In CAD there is a 10 to 15,000 difference in MSRP between the GC and the G37.

I see no valid reason to get the G37 over it.

Sorry, an 02 Accent is still worth making fun of. :lol:

You can always say... I knew them back when... :D

Hey, don't knock the '02 Accent. When it rains, I get a free swimming pool in my spare tire compartment.

Hey, don't knock the '02 Accent. When it rains, I get a free swimming pool in my spare tire compartment.
The accent hatch is pretty nice.. Especially the "R" model but it's KDM only.

Well, the new Sonata is looking damn nice. I'm still not feeling the new, extruded-from-optimus-prime's-butthole exterior design. But it's definitely growing on me. The interior is looking great as are the new GDI engines. And maybe that brand-new transmission they developed will actually be good. I'm so tired of awful Hyundai/Aisin gearboxes. They're just awful.

Autoblog has their review up and they're saying nothing but good things about it.

I have yet to read the review of the thing, but the styling and placement just seem a little off...

It's fine to go and build a coupe sedan thing like everyone else. But I feel like there should still be a regular sedan offering. It's a bit of a gutsy move to only sell the coupe styled one I think. Who knows, maybe it'll pay off. Or maybe it'll just seem too niche to really compete with the Camry and Accord.

What are you talking about? The only coupe they build is the Gen coupe.

I like the interiors of the new Sonatas, and ironically, the more expensive "limited" model looks worse than the cheaper SE, which comes with better looking, larger wheels and a dual exhaust. And paddle shifters, but they have the typical automatic transmission lag to them.

Although I'm optimistic about the GDI engines and looking forward to what they can produce from them, while it's got "enough" power, the car is still pretty slow, as I discovered on a test drive. Needs moar turbo.

What are you talking about? The only coupe they build is the Gen coupe.

This kinda coupe-ish, sedan-ish sloping roofline thing. Like on the Passat CC. I imagine it has an effect on room in the back seat.

2011-Hyundai-Sonata-5.jpg

Read today that the Sonata sales are being halted due to faulty door hinge or something.
Saw the car at the auto show a couple weeks ago and I thought they put the passat CC in the Hyundai display.

The door hinge thing is kind of meh. We just have to replace them on affected vehicles. So far, out of the ones we've gotten here, it's been none of them.

seems they're being cautious and don't want to get in trouble with GM, I mean, the government like toyota.

Back