hyundai the toughest car company of them all?

Read thread title.

• Yes.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
This kinda coupe-ish, sedan-ish sloping roofline thing. Like on the Passat CC. I imagine it has an effect on room in the back seat.

2011-Hyundai-Sonata-5.jpg

No, it's pretty much like what the Sonata is supposed to be. If you want a huge sedan, there's the Genesis and even Equus for that.

So I saw a Sonata on the road. Looks pretty durn good on the road. Much better than the horrible pictures taken at a low angle that emphasize its grotesque proportions.

But there is an antidote for Fluidic Sculpture ugliness. It's called Kia.

next-generation-kia-optima-front.jpg

Thank you, Optima. You're not perfect either, but you're a lot better. Hopefully you get the same turbo engine and all the other new GDI goodies.

I still don't understand this obsession with corporate image. They worsened the design by forcing their corporate face on this car. One of the things I respect about Hyundai is that they haven't yet done up obvious corporate face design. Looks like they're trying it with their B brand though.

Why are the Koreans making the best-looking cars right now, while all the Japanese cars look like ass?

Anyway, good for Hyundai and Kia – this is something I’ve been predicting for years now, and it’s finally coming to fruition.

Why are the Koreans making the best-looking cars right now, while all the Japanese cars look like ass?

Anyway, good for Hyundai and Kia – this is something I’ve been predicting for years now, and it’s finally coming to fruition.

Because Koreans are hiring Americans. And Americans were hiring Koreans. Perhaps the Japanese are hiring ex-mecha anime designers. That would explain the new Acura line.

The only Hyundai's I've seen or drove sucked.
And they seem to go to worse than "suck" at about 120K miles.... Or maybe that's only up in the north....

I expect Hyundais and Kias to become the new Toyotas though, a couple $1,200 head gaskets and countless parts later, people will praise them for reaching 300,000 miles.
Why? Because it'll be the 5th owner who bought it at 205,000 miles and didn't replace most of it. (Sly face here)

Went to the Ft. Lauderdale car show, where they had new sonatas on the floor. I gotta say, I retract my previous statements about how the car is super ugly. It really does look a lot better in person. And I finally figured out what the heck is up with that front grille. It's actually like a Ray snout:

fish01_11.JPG

But it looks so weird in pictures because it's all chrome and you can't tell what the actual geometry is. They should've done like Mercedes and made a flat silver grille with chrome edging. The rest of the exterior looks great. And the paint? Whatever they're doing in Huntsville is fantastic. That was some darn good looking paint. As curvy as it is, it was hard to find obvious orange peel. At worst, it looked like a calm pond of clearcoat... a gentle ripple or two. At best it was near perfect. I could make out each fleck and the flecks are very, very fine. I don't know if they had the car professionally corrected, but a correction that thorough would require a lot of clearcoat to sand down. And if the car comes with that much clear, that alone is something to love. That said, we're not talking concours-quality paintjob, but it's very, very surprising and quite pleasing considering it's a $19k, bread-and-butter sedan.

Anyway, the car is great on the inside. It no longer feels like a cheap sedan. You can sit in a Camry and feel like you're inside of a fridge, or you can sit in a Sonata and feel like you're in a car. I think the Accord is still a bit bigger on the inside as far as open volume is concerned. But I still feel Sonata grades out with the best overall interior. I'd even prefer Cloth Sonata to other cars with leather. Those cloth seats are great. So, since I brought up grades, we're talking: Sonata, A; Accord, B-; Fusion, B; Camry, D; Altima, no show; Malibu, C-; Chrysler, old and F.

I checked the engine bay of the Sonata and it looks great. Looks like everything is very accessible, and there's a huge empty space in the back that's begging for that turbocharger they'll have in the near future.

I'd say it's one fine machine, but I have yet to drive it.

Last edited:
So plans for the YF sonata.

GDI engine(Check)
2.4 turbo good for 230-240 horses(coming this year) Hyundai's answer to the accord type R.
Hybrid(Coming this year apparently.)

Will this be Hyundai first hybrid?
What about the Elantra blue? i thought that was a hybrid

240 horses? NOT!

NEW YORK, march 31, 2010 – Hyundai Motor America debuted its 2.0-liter Theta II turbocharged gasoline direct-injection (GDI) engine in the 2011 Sonata at the New York Auto Show today. With the addition of the all-new 2.0-liter Theta II turbocharged GDI engine, the new 2011 Sonata offers an unprecedented combination of segment-leading fuel efficiency and power – with an estimated 34 mpg highway rating, and 274 horsepower. Remarkably, the Sonata 2.0T produces these industry-leading metrics on regular fuel...premium fuel is not required.

274hp, 270 torques at 1800rpm, 34mpg highway, twin-scroll turbo.

240 horses? NOT!

274hp, 270 torques at 1800rpm, 34mpg highway, twin-scroll turbo.

Lol, that was a bit of a speculated guess when i posted that.

But 275 hp...from a 2.0 GDI turbo?

...That's just where it's at.

Heres hoping the coupe gets this motor.

Back