I built a desktop!

ALSO. Remember to set the correct HD jumper position before you put it in the case.

Good point. Forgot what he was using for a moment there.

Back into my hole I go!

I dunno. Driver issues? Out of SATA ports?

I actually built my last PC with an IDE drive, as I only had pre SP2 XP on disk, which isn't SATA compatible unless you insert a SATA driver floppy, and I didn't have a floppy drive.

I've just received a PM from a very concerned member who was worried about the lack of updates for the project. :dopey: At the moment I have about 90& of the hardware together, and hopefully will get it up and running in a few days, depending on software and assuming I put everything together properly.

SATA HDDs don't use jumpers...

Actually, some do, but in a different way. The two 500GB Seagates I bought last month have a jumper that limits bandwidth to 1.5GB/s. I don't know why anyone would want that left on there.

Actually, some do, but in a different way. The two 500GB Seagates I bought last month have a jumper that limits bandwidth to 1.5GB/s. I don't know why anyone would want that left on there.
Hmm, maybe to maintain some compatibility with a SATA 1 drives for RAID.

And it's actually 1.5Gb/s, as in Gigabit per second.

Edit: Oh, and congrats on your purchase ceiling_fan. Looking forward for some better quality pics. :)

My_Comp_by_peeweegary.jpg

This was taken a long time ago and the quality isnt good so my apologies..

Don't buy a 8800GTS. A 8800GT is faster AND cheaper.

The faster your graphics card is, the faster you can render 3D images

That's not true at all.

For rendering your going to want a lot of memory, and the fastest processor you can get. A fast graphics card wont affect render times much.

a graphics card WILL help with viewport performance though.

*Note* I haven't read through this entire thread.

So what are the final specs that you decided on?

Important stuff:

Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Quad
4GB G.Skill RAM
8800GTS OC
G7 Mouse G11 Keyboard (Love them both :drool:)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Mobo
OCZ Technology GameXstream 700W PSU

Holy 🤬, totally smoked my spec :( But yeah, I guess I could show you mine..... :sly: Taken a few months ago with a camera phone... :guilty:

l_7d2b33cb70d3c76a67263701c4d141a2.jpg

Internal Specs:
Windows XP Pro SP2 (lol, doesn't look like an XP eh?
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
MSI MS-7125
1GB Ram
WinFast PX6600 (repackaged Nvidia GeForce 6600)
Imation IMWDVRW16DL84I
Western Digital 80GB internal HD
*forgot what soundcard*

External Specs:
Tsunami PS-47 PC Case
LG Flatron L1750SQ
Logitech Easy Keyboard
Logitech MX512 Gaming Mouse
Razer Mantis Control
Altec Lansing ATP3
Sennheiser HD497 (but its broken now....)
Toshiba 80GB external HD

Well its more than average setup back then, but still average now...... :guilty: Haven't change much back then until now, but other than the new D-Link router, thats pretty much it. Need more specs? :)

Internal Specs:
Windows XP Pro SP2 (lol, doesn't look like an XP eh?
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
MSI MS-7125
1GB Ram
WinFast PX6600 (repackaged Nvidia GeForce 6600)
Imation IMWDVRW16DL84I
Western Digital 80GB internal HD
*forgot what soundcard*

External Specs:
Tsunami PS-47 PC Case
LG Flatron L1750SQ
Logitech Easy Keyboard
Logitech MX512 Gaming Mouse
Razer Mantis Control
Altec Lansing ATP3
Sennheiser HD497 (but its broken now....)
Toshiba 80GB external HD

I'm sorry, but all that and your computer is basically no faster than mine :lol:

Nice computer, ceiling fan 👍

Okay, I've been using Ubuntu for a few days and it's nice, but I'd like to install XP instead. After changing some settings in the BIOS I was able to boot from CD. However, the computer shut off mid-installation repeatedly. So I went back into the BIOS and check the CPU's temperature, too see if it was automatically shutting down if it got too hot. Well, in the BIOS, which probably the least processor load of anything, the CPU was at 90° C! This is dangerously hot from what I understand. I'm going to get some Arctic Silver 5 to see if it helps. Any tips or suggestions? The heatsink seems to be on there okay, though I don't understand why they made it so complicated, my friend says his just snaps in. Should I maybe get an aftermarket heatsink? This one seems to be getting the best reviews...

I still don't understand why the CPU would overheat with stock cooling. I figured I would be okay unless I overclocked it.

Thanks for your help guys. 👍

*thinks back to when opendriver said the stock cooling is kinda crappy* :ouch:

I didn't have any shutting down problems with Ubuntu, and the highest processor load it got was when I was editing a picture in GIMP. I would assume GIMP puts more strain on the CPU than the BIOS. :P

Fill the case with oil/put the whole computer in an oil-filled case. Apparently, my teacher did it once with his computer, and it enabled much faster speeds at lower temperatures. It's safe because oil doesn't conduct electricity.

If that's too farfetched, yeah, do what opendriver says. There's a video of one somewhere, but I can't find it.

sLg
Fill the case with oil/put the whole computer in an oil-filled case. Apparently, my teacher did it once with his computer, and it enabled much faster speeds at lower temperatures. It's safe because oil doesn't conduct electricity.

If that's too farfetched, yeah, do what opendriver says. There's a video of one somewhere, but I can't find it.

Yeah, heaps of that **** is on the internet. I'd really like to do one one day, though it's hardly worth the effort when you can drop a 50$ fan on and achieve the same thing. Or get a pretty decent water cooler.

EDIT: What the hell. That's my next project. Working in a computer store gives me access to heaps of old **** to break.

Lol, personally, I'd rather stick it in a tank of oil than spend $50, but I still don't make any money, and I guess maintenance might be hard.

My new cpu is running at 122F (e8400 LGA 775 chip)in game and HDD is running at 81F after running it for about 2.5 hours straight with the stock cooler. If you are still having troubles with heat, do ensure that the heat sink is inserted all the way like someone else mentioned along with arctic silver, I'd agree with both of those tips. But for my old computer that would run about 150F in the same game after about 20 Min. I got a Zalman heat sink and it brought it down to about 130 in game (using speedfan) still too hot but the stock would barely let my computer run at all either so I wouldn't yet be too concerned (my old is a P4 520 LGA775 chip). I am also looking at getting a new heat sink for my new computer as a good friend told me about the blue orb 2 or I may get another Zalman (as I'm not sure how loud the blue orb 2 is and the Zalman is quiet). Here are the two I'm referring to: http://shop3.frys.com/product/46358...SZWt3va7w**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
http://shop3.frys.com/product/49456...OBV2d2Dog**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Jerome

Back