I built a desktop!

Arctic Silver is not going to fix this problem. Either your motherboard is not giving that CPU the right voltage, the CPU itself has something wrong with it, or your heatsink is on wrong (and knowing how stupid the LGA775 cooler goes on, I'd put $100 on that being the problem). I'd just buy any cheap cooler that goes on with a backplate and get away from the way the stock cooler goes on.

Also, you may have put way too much thermal paste on the first time and its acting as an insulator rather than a conductor.

I checked the heatsink and it appeared to be in firmly, but I'm going to remove and reseat it just to be safe. Wish me luck! Though either way I'm going to get an aftermarket cooler soon, for OC'ing.

Here's the one I'm looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001

One of the user reviews
Cooler A+
Pros: This cooler puts out the air flow . Using a Q6600 OC'ed @ 3.6Ghz . Core temps were under 54c @ full load .
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: I added a Yate Loon High Speed 120mm Fan (40dBa, 88CFM) Got the Q6600 core temps down to 42/44c @ full load .And remember That's a OC @ 3.6GHz :~) 42c on full load with air is great :~)

Not one to go by on user reviews but he's OC'ing the same processor as mine.

I have the same CPU with stock cooling. I can play crysis for hours with no problem.

There is definitely something wrong there if it's overheating at bios. Reseat everything! Also check the fans are all working properly.

Pics of the guts.

0522081907kd9.jpg

0522081907aqc2.jpg

0522081908qv2.jpg

0522081908awh0.jpg

I was surprised when I pulled the PSU out of the box and it had about 9000 cables come with it. :P Other than that, it's pretty neatly organized. :ouch:

I think thats the same one that Eric has....

Good choice 👍

If you mean me, I have an E6600. Two cores. Very similar overclocking results though, just not mine in particular.

Edit: Just looked at the guts...Is there a panel you can shove all of that excess cabling behind? :scared: All of my extras are tucked sort of cleanly behind the motherboard tray. It looks like the video card could use a little more breathing room.

Don't have any more thermal grease. :/ I'm going to get an aftermarket heatsink though, I'm not sure if I have to take the mobo out of the case to install it, I'm kinda lazy. :lol: No, but that comes with the grease so with that I'm gonna OC it a bit, maybe to 3GHz or so, though I've seen Q6600s at 4.2 GHz stable. :eek:

edit: Wow that was poorly worded.

In that pic there is a cable right on top of the CPU fan. You sure that's not interfering with it?

Better cable management will improve your temps. Here is what mine looks like as of today.
Armorjr1.jpg

I have 3 HDD's and 2 DVD burners in there. My PSU is modular so that helps a lot.

In that pic there is a cable right on top of the CPU fan. You sure that's not interfering with it?

Yeah it's just like that in the picture. I took those before I finished building, just had to get them off the phone. The cables aren't as organized as the are in opendriver's pic, but they're certainly better then the pictures I posted.

Very nice set-up. 👍 Is than an XTC RAM cooler? Do you find it helps much?
Thanks. The ram cooler is made by OCZ. I bought it at Micro Center after reading all about the Crucial Ballistix ram failures over at OC forums. Without it they were hot to the touch. With it they are cold.

Unless it was hitting the fan and stopping it, that should not be enough to make it run the way it does.

Damn ceiling, I have the same case but a bit cleaner. Did you notice the large hole right beside the PSU? Run your wires through there, and lay them against the back, tape the extra wires down and run only what you need to.

Not to highjack but you can do the same thing with a bit of effort;
DSC_1720.jpg

Back