Imports

• Thread starter Puffy
  • 31,174 comments
1355654.jpg

#life complete, one of 13 legal R34s in the U.S. And this one was at Ligenfelter cars and coffee
View attachment 379289
View attachment 379290
View attachment 379291
Japanese fuse box
View attachment 379292
View attachment 379293
Walk around

Didn't get it starting up but I did get it accelerating at the end of this video

What makes this and the other 12 legal? I don't even know why the R34 is illegal in the US when the R33 was fine and same with the R35.

At least this one looks great.

What makes this and the other 12 legal? I don't even know why the R34 is illegal in the US when the R33 was fine and same with the R35.

Think the R34 is illegal for emission reasons. I don't know how these got legal.

Think the R34 is illegal for emission reasons. I don't know how these got legal.

While the R33 was done properly by MotoRex, needed additional parts for safety, the R32 and R34 were imported without any measures to make them complaint to U.S. regulations. Soooo, instead of confiscating and what-not, any R32s, 3s (because they stopped making them compliant), and 4s were given a free pass and the company basically shut down. Any Skylines imported between the end of MotoRex and the 25 year rule are not legal. The "R35" is made for the U.S. market anyways so there's no questionable things going on.

Adding to what @Downhill Dino said, the R33 is only legal if its between '96-'98, and it goes down to a specific month. On top of that, there is 30k worth of federal compliance BS that has to be performed in order to make it fed legal. There's only one company I know of that's fed approved to perform the modufications, so you would have to notify both the government (pretty sure its the NHTSA) and the company, of which the name currently escapes me, ahead of time, have the car shipped to whatever port, have it sent over to that company, wait however long it takes, and then have it shipped back to you. After which you've spent well into 50-60k range for an R33, assuming its a GTR. If you want to try and save money by going with a GTS-t, all you'll save on is the cost of the car, because the compliance mods cost the same. All this for a car that will be exempt by the 25 year rule in about 5 or so years.

Not sure. Saw it on IG.

Last I saw of it was that it was receiving some major modifications for an LS1 swap. I don't think it is though, no fender flares.

Nice to see more modified SVXs none the less!

Back