Joey's Cooper Thread; Suspension Thoughts

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The R56 models were switched over to turbos, but ya I could add it on, wouldn't be all that hard. Although if and when I'm ready for that I will probably just get a new one.

Yep shouldnt be too hard to do. I know a guy who stuck a mini supercharger on a mk2 seat ibiza.

Like I said though, I don't plan on doing it. The Cooper is my daily driver and nothing more then that. I might autocross it once or twice this summer but nothing really more. I doubt I'll do anything to the engine and I might do one or two things to the exterior. Mostly I want a nice looking set of lightweight rims, good tires, and some interior organisational bits.

So I was at the dealership this morning getting the tires rotated and balanced and having the annoying squeaky brakes looked at. I also had a couple other things to inquire about which lead me to the first "mod" of the new car.

I had the dealer install mudflaps in order to help keep the stone chips down along the side of the car. Also I think they look pretty good, especially the rear ones since it gives the car a wider stance look. It gives the car a bit more of a rallye look. They were about a $120 with installation but if I would have tried to do it nothing would have fit right...I'm not really mechanically inclined.

P6182619.jpg

P6182620.jpg

P6182621.jpg

P6182618.jpg

Wow, you just paid $120 for four bits of plastic that probably require about 6 screws each to attach. Not mechanically minded or just plain lame?

To install them you have to remove a bunch of stuff panels, drill some holes, a reuse a bunch of plastic clips that break really easy. Not to mention you have to remove all four tires in order to do this. I didn't want to screw with it since I have little concept on how to do any of that very well. Sure I can drill a hole and turn a screwdriver but this was more of a task then I felt comfortable doing. It goes back to the equation of what you need to do stuff to a car: Time, Money, and Knowledge. If you don't have one double the others, if you don't have two quadruple the remaining one. I don't really have time to do this (nor the proper equipment), I don't have the knowledge, but I do have the money.

Then I apologize.

I was of the opinion that it was much like any other car I have peered under the wheel arches of, meaning it simply required the removal of some lugs that were preventing dirt getting into the already pre-drilled holes. Meaning that it was essentially easier for the manufacturer to have all cars with the facility to have mud-guards attached rather than having to do it individually on those that nesccesitated it.

No problem.

Ya I thought about doing it myself but after talking to people on the NA Motoring boards I felt like I probably would royal mess it up if I attempted to do it myself and the end product would either look like crap or I would damage something.

well, aerodynamically, they won't do much, but care-wise, those guys should definitely help keep your car looking good.

I really wish your Cooper was Screaming Yellow with those stripes on it and a black roof. Then, I would deem it utterly PERFECT

C'mon Joey, dealer plate surround? Seriously?

The mudflaps look alright, but the fronts look to be lighter plastic than the body molding.

You need some wider wheels asap.

Mudguards that stick out more than the tires, although more "proper" that way, don't look as great.

My mudguards are slightly thinner than my tires, so I end up being able to see a half inch or so of tire on either side of them. It gives a nice illusion that I have some massive tires on the thing.

You need some wider wheels asap.

Mudguards that stick out more than the tires, although more "proper" that way, don't look as great.

My mudguards are slightly thinner than my tires, so I end up being able to see a half inch or so of tire on either side of them. It gives a nice illusion that I have some massive tires on the thing.

Then you realized you had a Honda, and having wide rear tires just isn't mad-tyte JDM stylez

The whole point of me getting mud flaps was to protect the side of my car and the front end of that cars behind me from stones. I didn't really buy them for their look, more for their function. Although I am starting to like the "rallye" look my car has. I need two more driving lamps though to pull the look off.

As for the yellow colour, it's not a sports car, it's a little "fun" car. Plus I have a hard time seeing yellow and I often mistake it for orange (colour blindness).

And the dealer plate ring, it's a rather meh thing to me, I'll get around to taking it off sometime but it's been since November I still haven't done it yet.

And the dealer plate ring, it's a rather meh thing to me, I'll get around to taking it off sometime but it's been since November I still haven't done it yet.

GET IT OFFFF!!!!! it cheapens the car SO MUCH!!!

GET IT OFFFF!!!!! it cheapens the car SO MUCH!!!

You know this took me 30 minutes to do...29 minutes to find a damn screw driver and one minute to take off the plate frame.

P6192623.jpg

I'm just playing man. You're doing that Civic up right, with the engine first 👍
I'm actually doing suspension, interior, exterior, brakes somewhere in there, and then engine last, since I'll be swapping it out.

@Joey: I would have just whipped out a butter knife or something by that point.

First Step in Suspension Tuning

P7190085.jpg

I got my Strut Reinforcement Plates from M7 Tuning yesterday and had a chance to put them on this morning. The main purpose of this is to prevent something called mushrooming where the strut plate becomes dented. No there really isn't a design flaw in the car but it has happen to some owners the live in areas with really poor roads. Since Michigan has some of the worst roads in the country I though spending the $130 now would be cheaper then having to get more alignments done on the, which run $160 a time. They were a snap to put it and took me about 20 minutes by the time I got my tools out and cleaned the surface really good.

These are really just to give me a piece of mind knowing that I did preventative maintenance on my car. I didn't really expect to have to many issues with mushrooming but I rather be safe than sorry. Plus M7 is developing a crossbar which hopefully will make it's way to the Cooper instead of just the S. By the looks of it installation on the Strut Reinforcement Plates will be a snap and I will be getting one if and when they come out. The purchase was sort of two fold I suppose.

Before:
P7190087-1.jpg

After:
P7190091.jpg

P7190092.jpg

P7190093.jpg

I was really happy with the quality of the product as well, M7 really does make great stuff which is why I went with them over the others out there that make similar products.

Incidentally, would the mounting ends of a strut brace have the same effect? Can those strengtheners accept a strut bar afterwards should you choose to fit one?

Incidentally, would the mounting ends of a strut brace have the same effect? Can those strengtheners accept a strut bar afterwards should you choose to fit one?

There is a lot of discussion about whether the ends of a strut bar would increase the strength of the tower mount. Some say yes, some say no. My problem is I just have the Cooper and not the S so I would have to buy the really really really expensive JCW bar if I wanted one. When the M7 one comes out it should be about $100 or so.

And the plates I put down will have an integrated cross bar. The M7 silver logos pop off and have two threaded hole underneath it which the bar will attach to.

Those look pretty cool, subtle touch yet functional. lol

I think you'd like the strut brace. The strut tower brace I put on my car helped alot in cornering. Made the nose fell really "planted". Now I need some springs, shocks, and swaybars to make the rear end plant too. Right the the rear end feels all lose compared to the front.

And the plates I put down will have an integrated cross bar. The M7 silver logos pop off and have two threaded hole underneath it which the bar will attach to.
Now that's a good idea! 💡 👍

Alright so I'm tossing an idea around for rims since I'm thinking about doing winter tires on the stock rims and getting a set of summer tires on a set of new rims. These are some rim choices I've came up with, I really want to stick with 15" rims but I'd be willing to go smaller barring they fit over the brakes. I don't like big rims at all, anything larger the 15" would be out.

Anyway here are some ideas:

Drag Wheels DR-20's, 15X7 4-100, $92.00 per wheel from Discount.
drad20.gbl.ang.jpg

Drag Wheels DR-16's, 15X7 4-100, $92.00 per wheel from Discount.
drad16.brm.ang.jpg

That's pretty much all I've come up with so far but ideally I would love a set of something like these since this car looks absolutely awesome with the stretch tire look and I think I could pull it off with my Cooper.

pghrally03lb3.jpg

Definitely go with the first option. It's got that nerdy German tuning culture look to them, while the second ones look like any other spare set of wheels on a guy buys for his track car. They look purposeful, but rather boring. Number one would also look far better if a little stretched.

I like the goldies better. I think they'd look good with the paint, but, that's just me. Just don't get them anywhere over 17" please. Thanks.

I like the first option as well, simply because it would look better in 15". The second is more my style (purposeful, as exige said), but it would only look good with a lower profile tire, which looks out of proportion on a wheel as small as 15". The black rims have a little more flair, which suits the car nicely.
YSSMAN
I like the goldies better. I think they'd look good with the paint
I'm a big fan of matching the rims to the car...it's never a bad choice.

Last edited:
Well I do plan on photoshopping them on my car to get a better idea, that's really the only way I'll be able to tell. I don't really know what size tires go on a 15x7 rim but the internet seems to think a 205 which is much wider then the 175's on there right now. There also seems to be a ton of tires in the 205/60/15 category too.

Thanks for the input though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back