La Sarthe and Spa ,weather report and other " stuff "

I've just had a Mac 650s mid turbo round le man following the update was a soggy race, 2laps fm1 on medium slicks took the lead late lap one. Fuel stop was due at the end of lap 2 which coincided with the start of dark blue rain spots. Wets on
Pitted and the weather map was a multicoloured mess. FM6 and cruised around four laps tyres where getting quite worn as the track dried quickly (50% wet) at the end of lap 6 so in for inters and a splash of fuel to complete lap 7, inters cooked by the end of 7 but to be expected won by a clear lap. Bit twitchy in the wet but usable still and was lower PP than before 1.49

Side bar; Anyone tried the new WTC 600 event at Road Atlanta? Just me or is it really odd? On HARD the leaders seem amazingly quick for 600pp?

Yes they are .
Just try it today and was 10sec behind at 4th place 😂
Was on new Ruf with ballast and SM tyres but noway to close the gap and at straights they gaining on me.

Other than than i try Aston VGT FM1 short shift somewhere between 6-6,5 k rpm .
Can do 3 laps but rain spoil the race.
Can lap under 3.50 with careful driving but wasn't able to access that area ,only two 3,50,s

Intermediate tyres last one lap 🤣 since track drying quickly.
Practically you need MT gears and no need to use the first 3 gears ,4,5,6,7 are enough to go with.

Did we found something ?
Anything?

I didn't cause i was stuck with road Atlanta and i blame @kartrcr08 for that 🤣

I managed to win 2 times after dozens of attempts and both times the two Americans wasn't in front, only one of them was .
When they are both ,its impossible at least for me .

Finally a dry run. McLaren F1 long tail three seconds a lap faster than before the update. That's with 70KG weight (matching my body weight) and a few more power points. @praiano63 800PP tune reduced to 700PP with engine nerfs which needed 200KG to reach 700PP.

ok everyone, preliminary reporting of post 1.49 update racing at Le Mans... (will post details and settings at later time when compiled)
Starting out with Gr. C cars, the Nissan, Mercedes, and the Porsche, all of these needed just minor adjustments to make them fall within the PP limits and still be competitive and discovered that this update had somewhat decreased the fuel consumption of these cars as i was getting 8+ laps @FM6 in the WTC700 race and the handling of the cars in wet conditions are not as slippery as pre 1.49.
As we all know the fuel is still at 6X and tyres are now down to 6X also, which gave me thought to go check if they changed the fuel / tyre multiplier at Spa and they did! Fuel is now down to 4X and tyres also at 4X. possible other high paying grind races like Tokyo and Sardegna had theirs changed too?

ok everyone, preliminary reporting of post 1.49 update racing at Le Mans... (will post details and settings at later time when compiled)
Starting out with Gr. C cars, the Nissan, Mercedes, and the Porsche, all of these needed just minor adjustments to make them fall within the PP limits and still be competitive and discovered that this update had somewhat decreased the fuel consumption of these cars as i was getting 8+ laps @FM6 in the WTC700 race and the handling of the cars in wet conditions are not as slippery as pre 1.49.
As we all know the fuel is still at 6X and tyres are now down to 6X also, which gave me thought to go check if they changed the fuel / tyre multiplier at Spa and they did! Fuel is now down to 4X and tyres also at 4X. possible other high paying grind races like Tokyo and Sardegna had theirs changed too?
I did a race at Sardegna and TBH I didn't pay attention. I used the Bugatti VGT Gr.1 and it got like 10 laps on FM2 but I don't remember what it was doing before 1.49

I didn't cause i was stuck with road Atlanta and i blame @kartrcr08 for that 🤣
Sorry for the RA vortex:) That race is way over tuned. Tried the 700pp 5 lap race, Turbo Sportscars, in my 600pp Mitsu that finally beat that f..ing RUF, turns out the 700pp race is easier to win at 600 than the actual 600pp race!
Back to Le Sarthe; anecdotal observations. Fuel and tires marginally better, RH only, RS go almost as quick as wets. AI seems to have been tweaked a bit, a little more aggressive and less predictable in strategy. For example, Haywood in the Lambo doing a 3-4 strat and setting fast lap, I've never seen that before. Overall I think between the AI being a little more consistent and the PP adjustments, the 100 plus cars that I could comfortably win with in the past, have been whittled down considerably. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I’ve had two excellent races in the rain race on hard with the Supra GT500. I dropped to last having pitted for tyres when the rain came. Only to go up to second place passing cars on the wrong tyres. In the first race I caught up to the leading Viper, taking ten seconds out of him in one lap. In the second race I had to wait until the Lamborghini pitted out of the lead before winning to race. I’ve got 99.5 millions in the bank and there’s nothing that buy…..

Revisited the low HP stuff on EASY, post 1.49 cause bored. Main take away, the AI is much better in the wet on all difficulties than before. Pre 1.49 on easy, if it rained enough to switch tires, the AI was only capable of doing 6 laps, now 6 laps is very rare even on easy. The no stop on IM strategy, which could be done with a lot of different cars, now is down to only the lightest of cars, less than 600kg and you still need some rain to slow the wear. Overall I like the new physics model, but I don't think a 99 HP win is possible now :)

I am still here compiling post update race data.... so far fuel economy is looking better and discovered something about the tyre wear dynamics. Prior to update if one tyre was completely red and others still showed white, your car was still stable. Now if one tyre goes all red you WILL be unstable and sliding a considerable bit.

I am still here compiling post update race data.... so far fuel economy is looking better and discovered something about the tyre wear dynamics. Prior to update if one tyre was completely red and others still showed white, your car was still stable. Now if one tyre goes all red you WILL be unstable and sliding a considerable bit.
I notice that to just yesterday.
Didn't want to go at the pits and take it carefully on last lap.

I was testing an Alfa and decide to finish the race.
Was on dead intermediates and the back left was completely gone.
The car was unstable and was turning left slowly needing correction all the time .
Feels like a tyre puncture on a lighter way if i had to describe it correctly .

Last edited:
That's the tire that always goes for me too and can confirm when one goes it gets pretty dicey.
More no stop on IM research. I've only been able to no stop win with three cars so far. The Red Bull Junior @ 119HP, the only "downforce" car that can make IM last. The tried and true Honda RA72 @ 111HP, and the Honda 2&4 @ 108HP. Common denominator; super lightweight.

I notice that to just yesterday.
Didn't want to go at the pits and take it carefully on last lap.

I was testing an Alfa and decide to finish the race.
The car was unstable and was turning left slowly needing correction all the time .
Feels like a tyre puncture on a lighter way if i had to describe it correctly .
Exactly how it felt to me, pulling to the left, they got this right on the spot in the new tyre wear physics...

Dry for the first and last lap, pretty wet in between..
Engine swapped M3 tune still needs tweaking though
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240822120833.jpg

The Group 4 cars have benefited from the new physics so.... New WTC 700 challenge.
How many STOCK Gr.4 cars can win on NORMAL difficulty? The only STOCK rule is power and gearbox, everything else can be tuned, they are race cars after all. The only exclusion is the Viper, it's still OP and too easy to win.
Initial thought, 2 stop strat might be tough...

Working with unconventional cars this week, the "track day" cars like the Mono, the Radical, Honda 2&4, X-Bow, and the RB Junior.
All gave me 4+ laps or more at FM6, and were delicate with tyre wear. In fact I do agree with the idea I read elsewhere that lighter cars have less tyre wear.
I had so much fun with the 2&4 I even used it in the Hypercar Parade Race in the weekly, thinking it might work at Autopolis....

The Group 4 cars have benefited from the new physics so.... New WTC 700 challenge.
How many STOCK Gr.4 cars can win on NORMAL difficulty? The only STOCK rule is power and gearbox, everything else can be tuned, they are race cars after all. The only exclusion is the Viper, it's still OP and too easy to win.
Initial thought, 2 stop strat might be tough...
Just try it for the first time here ( i mean stock gr4 car ) in normal mod.
Took the Vette gr4 put FM 6 for the first two laps without knowing how it goes.
The AI in front was pulling away so at 3rd lap put FM2 thinking i might pull up to 4 but no.
I had to switch again up to 6 in lap 4 to make it to the pits while rain was hitting the track.
Was second but pass Haylwood quickly after the pits ( don't know what tyres he put ) and was on FM4 .
At 6th lap put FM3 and went till the end with around 10sec margin.
Don't know if i won by luck cause rain help me but i suspect that it is like that.
Fuel consumption is an unknown territory for me at this group of cars and is difficult to judge how i should take it and react at weather changes .
I guess i was lucky today.

Anyway thats how it goes
IMG_20240823_210324520_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240823_210359895_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Fuel consumption is an unknown territory for me at this group of cars and is difficult to judge how i should take it and react at weather
Me too, I have all the Gr 4 cars but haven't driven most of them. My small sample size so far... First try was the Alpha 4C, dry race RM lasted 7, one stop FM1, after a couple laps and I knew a one stop was possible I thought it would be winnable, but no. Couldn't match the Vipers pace in the dry, even with one stop fuel only, finished second 15 seconds back. Second attempt the Lexus RC F, had better pace than the Alpha but only 3 laps FM1, got lucky with mid race rain so tried to mirror the Viper, was able to pass coming out of second pit stop and hold him off for a tight 3 second margin of victory. Having fun with this, tight even racing, learning new cars and strategies and winning is not a given.

I was on RH tyres ( not that make much of a difference) cause didn't know how much last the RM ones.
In this type of racing with gr4 cars you must use everything you have and choose the right strategy.
Also MT gears might give an advantage in fuel consumption in order to do just one stop .
But.......but with the weather you never know and it's crucial to make the right decision .
It's challenging without a doubt.

In this type of racing with gr4 cars you must use everything you have and choose the right strategy.
Also MT gears might give an advantage in fuel consumption in order to do just one stop .
MT is an advantage but it seems there are only a few Gr.4 cars that can do 4 laps at FM1-3, any lower fuel map just can't keep pace.
Pulled another zero mile car out of the garage, the GT by Citroen Gr.4, fastest Gr 4 I've tried so far. 3 laps FM1 barely with a lot of short shifting. I'm defaulting to RM for this challenge because why not, they last any stint the Gr 4's can do. Ended up doing an odd
3-1-3 pit strat with the Citroen, rain end of third lap, switched to IM but track dried quickly so inters off after one lap. The Corvette did a rare 3 lap stint so he ended up second to the Citroen. Very good car.

The Citroen gr4 must be damn quick.
Just did one race and i can confirm at FM4 can do 3 laps on AT ans stock gearbox.

Did two stops as rain hit the track during lap 4 so i switch to intermediate ones.
Don't know what it is , tyre ( was on RM ) power or whatever but looks many sec faster than Vette yesterday 🤔
Perhaps i did something wrong with her but still don't know what might be and cause that huge difference.
Anyway thats how it goes
IMG_20240824_171005859.jpg

The Citroen gr4 must be damn quick.
Just did one race and i can confirm at FM4 can do 3 laps on AT ans stock gearbox.
The Citroen is indeed quick, right up there with the Viper and Corvette. Group 4 musings, I've switched to MT and have been able to get 3 laps FM1 from all the Gr.4 cars so far. A wet race , most cars have a chance to win, I've won 4 out of 5, dry race I'm 0 for 3. The mid pack Gr.4 cars just don't have the pace, in my hands, to match the Viper in the dry. The Viper sets fast lap 90% of the time at 4:20 +/-. I struggle to get any of the average cars under 4:20. Gonna try the old Alpha touring car...

The Alfa 155 '93, one of my all time favorites going all the way back to GT3 or 4? I've always had a soft spot for Alfas, got my drivers license in my dads '66 Alfa Spider when I was 16. I hadn't driven the 155 for a long time, felt like it got nerfed a while back. But now it's back! First stock Gr.4 dry race win and it wasn't even close, the 155 feels more like a Gr.3 now! A little thirsty, needed FM3 to get 3 laps so did a 3-2-2 strat with FM3 then FM1-FM1. The fastest stock Gr.4 by far!IMG_20240824_113817901.jpg

Another go today with dead stock AMG except tyres.
Again rain , not much but enough to mix up things.
The car can go FM1 for 3 laps but didn't know it when i start 😂
Anyway i was closing on Portillia but rain was against me this time .
Ill try it again try to follow his strategy ( if i can ) .
Never had a dry race till now .
IMG_20240825_075438928.jpg

IMG_20240825_075503705.jpg

Didn't take that long to retry, this time was a dry race.
FM1 ,AT and pass Portillia before the pits at 3rd lap.
He went out in front of me and pass him again thinking that was it.
But .....but no.
Haywood was the man to beat on his 4 stint laps race.
Managed to pass him after Mulsanne and give the victory to my self in a dry race.

Considering that wasn't took a penalty and haven't any major mistake in my run ,i can say that isn't an easy task ( for my skills always ) since only few seconds are between first and second place.

Crucial factors also are :
1 )To know your car fuel consumption and that needs testing.

2) have the right strategy if rain is about to come .

3) avoid overreacting that cause costly errors or penalties.
IMG_20240825_090814918.jpg

IMG_20240825_090850781_HDR.jpg

Sorry for double post but was too much info to read as one or at least seems so.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back