Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,560 comments
In case you aren't aware, Humble has two bundles out at the moment, one of most of the Traveller's Tales Lego games (no Skywalker Saga (but there's an included 85% off coupon for it from the Humble Store), Builder's Journey or the other one though, nor any DLC) and the other is a ton of Lego books in PDF form, which I'm probably going to buy because it's got a few that I already knew I wanted, specifically the Jeff Friesen ones.

Also we're on holiday for a week and my son keeps asking to "play Lego", I tried to find a toy shop that sells second hand Lego but instead found a place that rents sets, which is interesting! It's not as expensive as I assumed it would be, you can rent some big sets (like the Concorde) for £10 for 2 weeks but they do go up from there. Not really useful to me right now, just an interesting thing I wasn't aware existed.

Last edited:
In case you aren't aware, Humble has two bundles out at the moment, one of most of the Traveller's Tales Lego games (no Skywalker Saga (but there's an included 85% off coupon for it from the Humble Store), Builder's Journey or the other one though, nor any DLC) and the other is a ton of Lego books in PDF form, which I'm probably going to buy because it's got a few that I already knew I wanted, specifically the Jeff Friesen ones.

Also we're on holiday for a week and my son keeps asking to "play Lego", I tried to find a toy shop that sells second hand Lego but instead found a place that rents sets, which is interesting! It's not as expensive as I assumed it would be, you can rent some big sets (like the Concorde) for £10 for 2 weeks but they do go up from there. Not really useful to me right now, just an interesting thing I wasn't aware existed.
I saw that bundle. I already have all of those games except the Harry Potter ones and Worlds. I actually just beat the Ninjago one a few days ago. I thought it was one of the better ones. Out of all the ones in the bundle, I think DC Super Villains is the best.

Last edited:
Solved the holiday Lego issue by getting a 10696 Classic box of about 500 pieces which was on clearance at the nearest Sainsbury's, this is probably the best makeshift vehicle I've made so far:

17233745452203924455650289954438.jpg

I kinda want to go and get another... If nothing else, the boxes the pieces come in are a good storage solution for an assortment of pieces for a young kid to play with.

Edit: that's not even its final form:

17233901722687251089166088917955.jpg

Had to beef the tail up to deal with the stresses of play and also filled the underside in better, added a ball joint for a cargo-carrying play feature too. It's almost as robust as it is chunky. Almost.

Edit: rather than spam the thread, I stopped by the Lego store to see what they had on the PAB wall, decided to get mostly regular bricks and plates this time but also some windscreens. Here's the result, it's not finished yet though as I'll need to raid my personal stash for some 1x1 and 1x2 plates to enclose the engine cowlings properly.

17236528307328795516420736538684.jpg

You might be wondering why there's a propeller on the roof, all I can say is my son loves things that spin and it doesn't have to make sense. I mean, clearly, the wings are practically square.

Last edited:
I absolutely love this!

17236716348006145962754996521140.jpg

I just built the whole thing tonight. I originally thought I paid too much considering it's been cobbled together but barring one or two issues (chains of slightly different lengths, one windscreen being an obviously different colour to the others) I think the condition of the pieces are about right considering I paid £60 instead of the £100 average and the age of the set.

It's such a great model given its age, too, and feels much more like the Lego I remember from the '90s than really anything I've built since then. I mean look at the bow, Lego wouldn't release a set with shaping like that now, they'd work out a way to make it smooth using fancy angles, tiles and curves but I found the relatively basic build of those doors so much more satisfying.

17236718619159209416898546346556.jpg

It's also just really big and the bridge has a fun amount of detail, shame you can't lift the top off easily though. It's also got four castors on the bottom so it can roll in any direction. The mechanism to open the doors and drop the front ramp is so simple and smooth, you just open the latch on the front and turn a gear on either side. The rear ramp has a much simpler mechanism which is nice too. Not really sure what the chains with robot arms on the end are for, maybe supposed to represent anchors?

17236721857647425495979046250788.jpg

17236723281288993725266508677422.jpg

Oh and the lifeboat and SUV with trailer are nice but showing either their age or limited piece budget, but you can't have everything. The floodlights are trans neon green for some reason... I'm sure those would be trans yellow now.

17236721325412802991557382535508.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely love this!

View attachment 1381030

I just built the whole thing tonight. I originally thought I paid too much considering it's been cobbled together but barring one or two issues (chains of slightly different lengths, one windscreen being an obviously different colour to the others) I think the condition of the pieces are about right considering I paid £60 instead of the £100 average and the age of the set.

It's such a great model given its age, too, and feels much more like the Lego I remember from the '90s than really anything I've built since then. I mean look at the bow, Lego wouldn't release a set with shaping like that now, they'd work out a way to make it smooth using fancy angles, tiles and curves but I found the relatively basic build of those doors so much more satisfying.

View attachment 1381031

It's also just really big and the bridge has a fun amount of detail, shame you can't lift the top off easily though. It's also got four castors on the bottom so it can roll in any direction. The mechanism to open the doors and drop the front ramp is so simple and smooth, you just open the latch on the front and turn a gear on either side. The rear ramp has a much simpler mechanism which is nice too. Not really sure what the chains with robot arms on the end are for, maybe supposed to represent anchors?

View attachment 1381033

View attachment 1381034

Oh and the lifeboat and SUV with trailer are nice but showing either their age or limited piece budget, but you can't have everything. The floodlights are trans neon green for some reason... I'm sure those would be trans yellow now.

View attachment 1381032
Is that an actual set or a MOC? Can't say I've ever seen it before, looks awesome. Reminds me of the old Model Team vehicles being completely brick built with no attempt at smoothing out the edges (because certain peices didn't exist yet lol).

Is that an actual set or a MOC? Can't say I've ever seen it before, looks awesome. Reminds me of the old Model Team vehicles being completely brick built with no attempt at smoothing out the edges (because certain peices didn't exist yet lol).
Actual.

Last edited:
It's an old Creator 3 in 1 set which I guess is why it doesn't get a great deal of attention now, but that's fine because it keeps the prices low-ish for what it is. It's a really big, satisfying model and as old as I feel saying it, they really don't make them like this anymore! That said it doesn't really have anything in the way of interlocking SNOT pieces like you might see nowadays so I think it might collapse with not much effort applied to the right spot, it's definitely a model rather than a toy despite the play features.

Struggling to work out how to put a roof on this little hangar I decided to make for a 30669:

17239284911579021955876202173768.jpg

I think I'll go with sideways bricks (easier to make skylights that way) connected with hinge plates but I only have one. One! I'll need like eight more. I did try making a Technic frame to connect plates to but don't have the pieces for that either. Think I'll have to take it to stud.io to get it done, not least because I clearly don't have pieces in the colours I'd like to use!

Edit: here are some of the concepts I tried
17239288582463751235884526113227.jpg

Bottom right is the one that I think will work best, but like I said, need more hinge plates. I also can't decide between a simple pitched roof with two sides or a slightly curved one with four (you can see roughly what I'm going for there in the bottom left, that's the Technic frame I mentioned above). A simpler roof would be easier to make a fascia for but a more curved one might look better.

Last edited:
30669 hangar.png30669 hangar_2.png

Not finished, but I figured the roof thing out at least - it's pretty simple, two panels that are 10 studs long and you can probably see the rest for yourself, secured at the ends using modified bricks with clips that clip into bars held by modified 2x1 plates with vertical clips on top at the top of the wall. The fascias don't fit perfectly but are close enough in my opinion and they're secured using modified bricks with studs on the sides (the 2x2&2/3 ones in the middle and the 2/3 round bricks towards the edges). The internal structure could use some work, I think the front is a plate too low but I suspect it needs to be, although I wonder if I could use some half-arch pieces at the sides to improve the rigidity in a way that doesn't look awful?

It needs: Foliage, drainpipes, lights (might build an internal skeleton to hang some lights off of, probably in line with the yellow stripes), proper colouring (not sure about the roof... Might just have a red and yellow stripe around the wall instead), some other stuff inside, maybe some stripes on the floor... Any suggestions? I might round the corners of the base and/or make the edges irregular, either that or put it on a MILS-like base as a starting point for a modular airfield. It's kind of an awkward scale. I also think I'll use regular bricks for the walls with just a few of the brick-textured ones to add some interest, I noticed that if you offset them by a stud for strength the bricks in the texture line up so that every other row stacks rather than interlocks which looks dumb. Definitely one of those "can't unsee" things though. Oh and doors, I'm not sure I'll bother but I might look into making some, if I do they'd need to fold open into the single stud width behind the aperture or roll upwards like a garage door because the plane is basically the exact same width as the aperture is now. Or I need to make the whole thing wider and upset the roof design, which in turn invalidates the fascia... Ugh, nah.

Last edited:
That looks amazing buddy, well done!

Jerome

Solved my storage problem for the time being.

View attachment 1381913
Looks fantastic! I've had my eyes on Billy cases a long time but haven't committed yet. I'd probably get them without doors and get some plexiglass to seal them in, that way sets are completely visible.

Other than Lego, I also collect scale model cars so I'd need quite a lot of shelving. 😂

Looks fantastic! I've had my eyes on Billy cases a long time but haven't committed yet. I'd probably get them without doors and get some plexiglass to seal them in, that way sets are completely visible.

Other than Lego, I also collect scale model cars so I'd need quite a lot of shelving. 😂
Yeah, the downside to the doors is it blocks the middle.

Awesome! For some reason I don't have that set despite being a huge 911 and Lego fan.

Also, looks like you might be missing a few pieces up on the front bumper there? Those blue pins shouldn't be exposed like that?

Last edited:
Also, looks like you might be missing a few pieces up on the front bumper there? Those blue pins shouldn't be exposed like that?
Good catch! I'd noticed I had a couple pieces left over that did not appear to be the regular additional small parts that are usually backups and I was like "oh no, what did I miss?" but late last night I could not figure out where they went. Problem solved. Missed three parts. One on the non-driver side and two on the driver side. 👍

IMG_8463.jpeg

Started working on Hulk 181 last night. It's gonna be a monster to try and get right. I'm hoping I can do it as I'm still miffed that the ASM 300 didn't turn out well with all the black on black : /

1724092347260.png

Jerome

A question for our knowledgeable peeps here; has anyone found a Creator/Technic-style Gumpert Apollo, either in full kit or instructions? I've found a couple of websites but they lead to dead ends, and the majority of others tend to be Speed Champion-scale.

A question for our knowledgeable peeps here; has anyone found a Creator/Technic-style Gumpert Apollo, either in full kit or instructions? I've found a couple of websites but they lead to dead ends, and the majority of others tend to be Speed Champion-scale.
Not that I know of. Have you tried searching Rebrickable.com?

Jerome

Not that I know of. Have you tried searching Rebrickable.com?

Jerome
I have tried, and there's nothing there either. There's this (pic below) which takes inspiration from the Gumpert and a few others, but nothing which accurately reflects it; I wish I did, but I just don't have the skill or artistic ability to create it myself.

1724337752561.png

I have tried, and there's nothing there either. There's this (pic below) which takes inspiration from the Gumpert and a few others, but nothing which accurately reflects it; I wish I did, but I just don't have the skill or artistic ability to create it myself.

View attachment 1383131
The only thing I could think of would be to ask Niko71 to build one for you.

Jerome

Visiting my parents and decided to build one of the few unopened sets I had stashed at theirs:

172440942901265278564326864936.jpg

It's not big but it's quite dense! Fun build but it gets a 1/10 on colours - I somehow always forget how grey Star Wars sets are, obviously because the things they're models of are also grey, but as I've probably said at least once before I'm a bigger fan of Lego than Star Wars and these things are better as Star Wars models than they are as Lego sets. As someone with a bunch of planes and helicopters it's also good to see another stand design, this one might be the best I've seen in a Lego set.

Last edited:
Back