Make all cars available from the start?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 894 comments

Make all cars available from the start?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Because why else would you be running a career in a video game if there wasn't some kind of reward? There's no reward for doing the career if all the cars are unlocked. And don't tell me "winning" is the reward because you're not actually winning anything. In a proper career mode however, you are winning. You're winning credits, and possibly cars while in pCars you win nothing.
First of all I have no idea where the talk about pCARS came from as I never brought up pCARS nor have I ever played the game.

Yeah, okay. So in GT you feel "rewarded" for receiving credits for beating the AI in a "race"? Alright fine, yes it is a reward technically, but does it feel rewarding to beat the least competitive AI in the most pathetically designed races at all? Seriously? Honestly, if AI were competitive and the races were fun, then I wouldn't really care whether all the cars were unlocked or not from the start. But they aren't. Grinding for credits just sucks the fun out of the game.

Besides, I'm one of those who are suggesting for this all-unlocked mode in addition to the traditional career mode. So if you like your old career mode, go for it.
If you're all for there being no restrictions, why don't you just ignore the career in pCars and follow your own?

If pCars was like GT6, I would have ten times as much motivation to do the career mode that I do now. That's why pCars career is a fail. Especially because they drag it out so long and don't have road car series, only road car invitationals.

And I love pCars, don't get me wrong but I'm not sure I'm gonna keep playing it after GT7 comes out. And usually, I don't do that with racing games. I still haven't stopped playing Driveclub but pCars will have no use to me once GT7 comes out other than racing the cars that only pCars has. Unless GT7 somehow doesn't have better FFB and physics, which I highly doubt since GT6 already does.
Still have no idea where this pCARS comparison is coming from.

why don't you just ignore the career in pCars and follow your own?
Actually that's what I'm doing. I've spent most of my time in PCars doing time trials and custom races in solo mode. This weekend I'm doing multi-class races at Le Mans, I have plans to do custom race weekends at the main layout of each track location with the open-wheel cars, then do the same for some of the GT & LMP cars. That should keep me busy for several months. I don't have to grind anything or drive cars I don't like in order to unlock the good parts of the game, ever. I simply spend my time doing whatever I like and that feels very rewarding.

If GT6 had all cars & tracks available from the start in arcade mode along with all the options to setup proper races I could do the same thing in GT6. Unfortunately that's not the case, GT6 is basically a good game to play in time trial with no proper races offline, and that's only after I had gone through the boring and tedious process of acquiring the cars.

Like I've said many times, keep the traditional GT career but provide alternate ways for players to access the cars & tracks. The way I play my game won't affect the way others play their game. Why is this concept so hard to understand to some people?

No it does not it is a challenge. 👍

What exactly is challenging about it ? Or fun ? Please elaborate.

Let's say I want the 20mln car.

Work, family, friends, gym, other hobbies - no time for grind.

You have 10 hours a week to play the game. Now tell me how you will acquire the 20mln car without grinding - aka doing specific races over and over again to maximize the profit per hour.

Should I not be able to have fun with the game from the start ? You believe that there should be a painfully boring period after which the game becomes enjoyable ?

Do you think this is a good game design in today's fast paces busy world ?

Why not just make the game like pCars, when you start the game for the first time, instead of choosing where to start(zero to hero and all that), you select whether or not you want all cars unlocked and have to take the licenses to unlock car classes(like in GT3) and championships, or if you want the classic credit system and earn money for the cars and parts?(and of course the licenses)

Why not just make the game like pCars, when you start the game for the first time, instead of choosing where to start(zero to hero and all that), you select whether or not you want all cars unlocked and have to take the licenses to unlock car classes(like in GT3) and championships, or if you want the classic credit system and earn money for the cars and parts?(and of course the licenses)

1063153.gif

Indeed, GT should have an option at the beginning of the game to choose between standard career undertaking from the zero or immediate access to cars, circuits and events, without money to interfere. Simple solution to program.

The career undertaking as we know it is what separates GT from other games in the genre, but at the same time there are so many players who don't have that much time to play, so both sides must be satisfied.

The only minor problem is that in first week or two of the online competition some players would appear with tougher vehicles that others wouldn't have access to, either due to cost of such vehicles or their rarity, possibly making a racket among drivers.

The only minor problem is that in first week or two of the online competition some players would appear with tougher vehicles that others wouldn't have access to, either due to cost of such vehicles or their rarity, possibly making a racket among drivers.
That won't happen if online is setup properly.
PD could make all cars available from the start as online courtesy cars and also include an option for host to block courtesy cars and limit car selection to career garage only. In that way people who prefer to earn their cars in career mode can be matched with similar players. Also host can include performance restrictions, which would prevent other players from using cars that host doesn't have.
If PD includes a good matchmaking system it would be even easier to get matched up with similar players using similar cars.

FS7
That won't happen if online is setup properly.
PD could make all cars available from the start as online courtesy cars and also include an option for host to block courtesy cars and limit car selection to career garage only. In that way people who prefer to earn their cars in career mode can be matched with similar players. Also host can include performance restrictions, which would prevent other players from using cars that host doesn't have.
If PD includes a good matchmaking system it would be even easier to get matched up with similar players using similar cars.

This is where that "Recommended Cars" feature would have benefitted online playing. Even sampling the cars in Free Run or the Dealership before purchase.

@FS7 Personally, I wouldn't add any limitations regarding the vehicles.

If one driver can't participate in DTM online competition because he hasn't reached that level of career mode yet - even better. He would be further encouraged to race and grind to reach that level and acquire eligible car other privileged players are requesting.

That would be a big stimulation and consequently - reward for his efforts. That is what career undertaking in GT series has always been about.

ss3
But then it wouldn't be challenging you would be set for the whole game right from the start

Challenge!

That has already happened with the past two games. People who paid extra and/or pre-ordered from the correct store got tons of credits and/or high spec cars. Early GT5 had plenty of races in the very beginning (especially since there were barely any options for room restrictions when it first released) with people who slaughtered with Chromeline cars.

@FS7 Personally, I wouldn't add any limitations regarding the vehicles.

If one driver can't participate in DTM online competition because he hasn't reached that level of career mode yet - even better. He would be further encouraged to race and grind to reach that level and acquire eligible car other privileged players are requesting.

That would be a big stimulation and consequently - reward for his efforts. That is what career undertaking in GT series has always been about.
That's actually the opposite of what I want.

I don't mind other people enjoying grinding races in career mode but I'd rather have all cars unlocked from the start in arcade mode and as online courtesy cars. People who like grinding/earning cars in career mode can still do so while people who want to focus on racing can do so without having to acquire the cars. If they simply want to test drive some cars in the weekend they can do so without having to grind for it, in the end everybody is happy.

Being unable to participate in a DTM online competition because I haven't earned the car in offline career mode is simply stupid and poor game design imo. I've driven DTMs in previous GT games, in Forza games, in the TRD games, in PCars, there should be multiple ways to have access to the cars.

That has already happened with the past two games. People who paid extra and/or pre-ordered from the correct store got tons of credits and/or high spec cars. Early GT5 had plenty of races in the very beginning (especially since there were barely any options for room restrictions when it first released) with people who slaughtered with Chromeline cars.
I'm being curious, for how long did that last? I don't own PS3, so I can't tell.
FS7
I don't mind other people enjoying grinding races in career mode but I'd rather have all cars unlocked from the start in arcade mode and as online courtesy cars. People who like grinding/earning cars in career mode can still do so while people who want to focus on racing can do so without having to acquire the cars. If they simply want to test drive some cars in the weekend they can do so without having to grind for it, in the end everybody is happy.
I like the solution, but you would need to be careful as if you add too much cars in Arcade Mode and online department, players would rather spend more time in those two modes, rather than playing the career mode.
FS7
Being unable to participate in a DTM online competition because I haven't earned the car in offline career mode is simply stupid and poor game design imo.
That would depend on the host. If he agrees to allow usage of other cars that do not belong to DTM class, but they meet their performance - okay. Personally, I always find unusual and somehow unnatural to race against opponents that do not belong to my class, either visually or by restrictions - imagine road-going Lancer Evo participating against GT300 machines. And judging studious online championships on this forum, hardly anyone allows usage of cars that do not meet restrictions of the fictive event.

I like the solution, but you would need to be careful as if you add too much cars in Arcade Mode and online department, players would rather spend more time in those two modes, rather than playing the career mode.
I don't see any problem at all with that. There's no such thing is too many cars in arcade/online modes. People should stick with the portions of the game they enjoy, locking things away in order to force players who are mainly interested in online/arcade custom races to play career mode is a terrible idea. The best way to encourage people to play career mode is to make career mode interesting (something that has been missing in GT games for a long time). People who enjoy playing through career mode will still do so even if all cars are available from the start in arcade & online modes. That's how it works in games such as F1, WRC, GAS, PCars, & FM4.

I'm being curious, for how long did that last? I don't own PS3, so I can't tell.
Something like 3 or 4 months, until the Performance Point system was introduced. Until then, rooms constantly had problems with people who took (as an example) the Stealth NSX or the Chromeline R8 and added ballast until they could get into rooms with PWR limits and slaughter all the people who were driving street M3s and Skylines and the like that they had to scrape together to buy themselves (remember that this was also in the early game with the pathetic race payouts and no log in bonus). A fairly common tactic was to use a regular car to put around the track, and as soon as the host started the race switch to one of the cheese mobiles as soon as the race countdown started. If the host didn't catch them at the start (and have to sacrifice his race to kick them), they would basically walk the field. Performance points mostly offset this, but they were introduced alongside the Engine Limiter with caused nearly as many problems as the PP system fixed (since now people could also take their Stealth race cars and push the power down enough that they squeaked into PP limited rooms).

Couple that with how all of the special preorder and limited edition cars only cost 500 credits to engine and frame rebuild, and they basically became unstoppable online and off until people started getting together the funds to buy cars that could directly compete.

Last edited:
@Tornado , thank you for the extensive explanation of the situation with the online system, now I know where was (is) the problem. :)

Maybe the PP and Engine Limiter could work flawlessly if they introduce the 'toggle each car on/off system' where such rabbits could be dumped by host prior the race. Hosts running replicas of a certain event would also appreciate it as they would be able to choose those few cars they want to be driven by others without worrying they'll have to kick someone out.

FS7
The best way to encourage people to play career mode is to make career mode interesting (something that has been missing in GT games for a long time). People who enjoy playing through career mode will still do so even if all cars are available from the start in arcade & online modes. That's how it works in games such as F1, WRC, GAS, PCars, & FM4.
You're right. Now when I think about it, I remember how I wanted to drive some of Toca race Driver 2's interesting cars in two player or online mode, but never got the chance because they were locked (until you head deep enough into the career mode). Given that the career mode was interesting (to me), I'm sure I would return to complete it because I wanted to know what kind of cars and conditions I'll have to face with.

Good argument, FS7! :) I hope Polyphony will read some of this thread's comments and do something about it in GT7.

I have an idea. How about from each decade, there will be a couple or a few cars that aren't available in the dealership and you can't win them. But when someone's birthday comes along, then they will have a chance to drive that car. So if it's a 90's car, then only someone who was born in that decade will be able to win the car on their birthday. And someone who was born in the 80's will get an 80's car that only someone born in that decade will be able to obtain.

Another thing about birthday cars is that you should be able to chose your birthday car. Someone who's been playing for a full year nearly everyday (like me) already has a lot of cars and there's a high chance that they will get a car they already have and don't want another one. I got a mazda RX7 and I was glad but they should give you a choice. Pick 1 out of some 10 cars and have that one.

I don't want all the cars unlocked at the start in Gran Turismo, and it seems that I am in agreement with the majority who polled.

It's almost as if not everyone will be happy until some magical developer creates a Project Forza Turismo Club.:scared:

I don't want all the cars unlocked at the start in Gran Turismo, and it seems that I am in agreement with the majority who polled.

It's almost as if not everyone will be happy until some magical developer creates a Project Forza Turismo Club.:scared:
Then if all cars from the start was an option in GT7, don't choose it and you'll get what you want.

For me, it would be nice if each race in a specific category, would reward a car that can be used on the next specific race or in the next category. (occasionally that is applicable on current games).
Why do I need to buy a specific brand/model, so I may win a car from that same brand of equal or lesser value of the one I just bought? It's like a 2 for 1 kind of deal afterwards? :indiff:
Also, a chance to unlock a certain car by simply driving it in Arcade Mode for a specific amount of mileage/Km.,
that way, testing cars in Arcade will also add rewards. :irked:

How about they should make a separate mode? like "A spec racer" where all race car are available from the start to race and put some calendar system, qualifying, practice session etc etc. The other one is ''A spec driver" where you can just casually race with A.I earn credits, unlock cars, win trophies, and gold. IDK :)

Last edited:
Back