make your own form fitted racing seat

• Thread starter nicka117
  • 54 comments
For seat mounting, the absolute simplest thing to do--and waht would be a good interim solution until you decided to get more fancy--would be to take a piece of 1/2" thick MDF (say 20" x 22") and bolt it directly to the seat rails. Then take the stock momo sliders and mount them to that.

I know you need 5" under the seat so that might not be the best ultimate solution. So, once you figure out the width of the mounting holes of the sliders, you could then adjust the length of the cockpit cross members to make the pedal rails the right width across. If the seat sliders have bracket/feet that are 3.5" tall, then the rails woul make the seat bottom at least 5", not including the side mounts.

For seat mounting, the absolute simplest thing to do--and waht would be a good interim solution until you decided to get more fancy--would be to take a piece of 1/2" thick MDF (say 20" x 22") and bolt it directly to the seat rails. Then take the stock momo sliders and mount them to that.

I know you need 5" under the seat so that might not be the best ultimate solution. So, once you figure out the width of the mounting holes of the sliders, you could then adjust the length of the cockpit cross members to make the pedal rails the right width across. If the seat sliders have bracket/feet that are 3.5" tall, then the rails would make the seat bottom at least 5", not including the side mounts.

If I am able to use the sliders + the side mounts I should have my 5''.
But those sliders suck. I am making a mount for them today so we will see how that works out. But yhea the mount I am making for the sliders has to be at least 2.5" diameter and 15.5'' long no less or more.

So if I want to use the momo rails I need to mount a piece of wood to the frame and the wood is mounted to the slider that then mounts straight to the side mounts. Confusing? perhaps a tiny bit

So, once you figure out the width of the mounting holes of the sliders, you could then adjust the length of the cockpit cross members to make the pedal rails the right width across

What did you mean by this I am a bit confused. Why would I need to change the width by the pedals??

Last edited:
If I am able to use the sliders + the side mounts I should have my 5''.
But those sliders suck. I am making a mount for them today so we will see how that works out. But yhea the mount I am making for the sliders has to be at least 2.5" diameter and 15.5'' long no less or more.

So if I want to use the momo rails I need to mount a piece of wood to the frame and the wood is mounted to the slider that then mounts straight to the side mounts. Confusing? perhaps a tiny bit

What did you mean by this I am a bit confused. Why would I need to change the width by the pedals??

No, sorry, I mis-spoke. I meant the "seat rails" the right width across.

the way you have intended for the seat mounting is not confusing--I understand completely what you are saying.

No, sorry, I mis-spoke. I meant the "seat rails" the right width across.

the way you have intended for the seat mounting is not confusing--I understand completely what you are saying.

Ah that's what I figured you meant.
Do you happen to know the length of the entire cockpit? I am building the stage/riser at the moment.

well, the pedal rails are 35" and the seat rails are 38", but they must overlap by 3". So, the total possible is 70". But, i think we should have you get one long rail for each side. I'll continue this on your thread...

Thanks for showing more pics nicka117

Regards the seat, again im pretty much driven with looks as a personal important feature on cockpits. Its one reason Chillis stands out in the quality of its finish and the lush seat he has. While yeah you may of got more comfort now with your moulded seat and thats a good thing as well for me I personally thought that Sparco looked mega and such seats really give cockpits a wow factor.

Everyone to their own of course and as Ive said before thats the beauty of d.i.y cockpits you can tailor it to how "You" want it.

Excellent looking setup...

Thanks for showing more pics nicka117

Regards the seat, again im pretty much driven with looks as a personal important feature on cockpits. Its one reason Chillis stands out in the quality of its finish and the lush seat he has. While yeah you may of got more comfort now with your moulded seat and thats a good thing as well for me I personally thought that Sparco looked mega and such seats really give cockpits a wow factor.

Everyone to their own of course and as Ive said before thats the beauty of d.i.y cockpits you can tailor it to how "You" want it.

Excellent looking setup...

Hey Mr Latte, I totally agree. The coolest thing about this hobby is our ability to each do our own thing. BTW- I think your project is going to be super cool!

Here are some pics from one of my earlier cockpits, kind of modeled after a late 80's Ferrari F1 car. I think you'll like the looks better than my current "spartan" set-ups:

sim7.jpg

sim1.jpg

sim2.jpg

sim3.jpg

sim5.jpg

sim6.jpg

WOW that is nice looking... How do you do the carbon fiber looks? stickers??

I use carbon fiber 3d decals now, but the cockpit above is all real carbon fiber plates: the dash board, the shifter paddles, and the manual shift lever housing.

I didn't spare much expense on the one above. The shift lever is SST, and I used the G25 shifter in the dashboard for brake bias--sequential mode.

That Ferrari theme is amongst the best I have ever seen.
Damn, did you sell it or what, why the change I have to say this again that is wicked.

Appreciate the remarks on my own ideas although mine is still going more towards kinda an arcade unit look and not so much hardcore sim cockpit.
However Im really concentrating on audio/Buttkickers to enchance the sensation and immersion.

I havnt the patience or time to get into PC sims and mods and with all the software/hardware issues just want an awesome way to play GT5 mainly and of course other racing games.
We should all though help and push each others ideas forward and it seems or friend Stega is buying just about everything going. Recession what resession, lol.

Last edited:
I agree I would say with that body work it is one of the best cockpits I have seen to date...

If it were not for each other I am sure our cockpits would not look nearly as good as they do, a lot of ideas/designs/inspiration begins looking at what others are doing with their own designs and the different sets of ideas around here.

thanks for the compliments guys!

That design just kept getting bigger and bigger and at some point I was tired of it and became a bigger fan of function over fashion. Sleek, functional designs that were efficient just started to suit my eye more.

I placed my order for the 80/20 Catalog and DVD, I truly like the setups you have created. Since the 80/20 is modular then upgrading or changing it is nearly endless. After viewing your rig and Stega's I am definetely interested in making this a project. I think this would be great father/son project in the future.👍

I have utilized Unistrut material at work, but that material can get pretty heavy. It has a pretty crude rail system for locking down the pieces but it is definetly strong.

I will PM you before I get anything.

Last edited:
I placed my order for the 80/20 Catalog and DVD, I truly like the setups you have created. Since the 80/20 is modular then upgrading or changing it is nearly endless. After viewing your rig and Stega's I am definetely interested in making this a project. I think this would be great father/son project in the future.👍

I will PM you before I get anything.

Sounds great jswilli1, I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. It's a great system that you can always add parts to and adjust at a whim. There's really nothing you can't do with it.

Hey guys,

I'm a nubie to the forum, but I found these posts and had a few questions.
Nikka117, have you posted a how to guide to pouring your seat. I am trying to build a real racing seat using 2 part Poly. and Carbon Fiber with Medium-Hard Memory foam padding. But I'm not quite sure on your methods of setting up your mold, adding the 2 part.....

From the looks of it, we use similar methods to building both your racing Cockpit and my Mini Baja car.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Midnight Mayhem Race.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Chassis in Jig.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 74
Thread Necromancy!

Hey nicka, just started looking at moulding my own seat, as it seems cheaper than grabbing a ready made seat from say Tillet. Would absolutley love a W3 or B3.5 though. but at close to $1000AUD, it's just not going to happen...

I'm after an F1 style seat, and have looked at the Creafoam packages you can use to mould a seat from Pegasus which looks like it would cost around $300 to $350, minus shipping to me in Australia.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=4525

But I was just curious as to what foam product you used for your seats? Did you use the mix it yourself Polyurethane from a tub, or the aerosol can type?

I can pick up a can of this stuff for $36AUD,

http://www.bunnings.com.au/filler-expanding-foam-sika-750ml-fire-rate-pu-sikaboom_p1210284

it says that it expands to 50 litres in size. I have no idea if that would be enough, or even if this stuff would allow me to create a seat, as you said you need to get the right setting time etc...

Any tips and hints you can give me as to which kind of foam to go for?

Cheers mate, keep up the good work.

If the Project Simulation F1 plans ever come to fruition, I would like to add a fitted seat to it. If not, I will be designing my own similar to it without plans. Good luck on your project!

hey Bleak,

the stuff you want to use is 2 Part Polyurethane foam. It comes in two conainers: Part A and Part B. You mix at a 1 to 1 ratio, equal parts of each. The correct foam is density 2lbs per cubic foot.

Like this:

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/2_Lb_Polyurethane_Mix_and_Pour_Foam_24_25/Foam

or this:

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html
Hello nicka - I and I'm sure most out here appreciate your detailed and helpful info.
Would you happen to have a or recommend a step by step on how to make the seat - pour foam?
you mentioned you can do it in stages?
Thanks.

Back