Mazda CX-3- Crossover based on the Mazda2

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 170 comments
As if anyone can actually see the hood these days. :P

exactly. All new Mazdas bar the 2, have long hoods. Look at the Mx5. Imagine what the next BT-50 will look like with.Kodo influence. :nervous:

I'm hearing from some young people looking at the CX-3, they feel "I dont need all that space right now"(A Suzuki Swift owner).

"I saw the CX-3. I want to step up to the Mazda3(BM The new series model), but the the CX-3 is smaller."Mazda 3( previous model BL owner)

Young wife with an 8month old"I see the new Mazda(looking at the CX-3) came out. I'm definitely looking to get a smaller car because I don't need this(CX-7) any longer."

The 2 has the longest Bonnet in it's class though, it's due to the Skyactiv Exhuast manifold that requires a big area to fit the engine, which is good because it allows the car to look less like a Small Van and more like a Proper Hatchback.

CX-3 and Mazda 3 are basically in competition with each other here, the CX-3 is inbetween the size of the Mazda 2 and 3 but has the Height Advantage that is what makes SUVs Sell in the first place.

They are basically the same price too so I guess those Mazda 3 buyers will have the option of another car in the Mazda range for the same money.

sTouring Auto diesel this time.
yySn61w.jpg

This will be the freeway specials. I wonder why there is no manual(no paddle option either). Japan only sell the diesel. So, while it was good around town and having to wait for boost(single turbo) for Australia, this will be a great car for freeway driving.

MPS/Mazdaspeed version please.

Man. I thought it was gonna be bigger than that.

This is why I fear the 2 is going to suffer. For its size, it's got plenty of room for 6+ footers. It's equipped with everything. The powertrain options are perfect. If anyone is looking for more than what this car is, look elsewhere. It's a small on road SUV/CUV that looks fresh, has an awesome driving position and comes with everything.

I'd get my CX-3 in ceramic white, with a yellow MX-5 ND next to it.

I don't know the Mazda 2 is a subcompact most will assume it's going to be that size.

The CX-3 on the otherhand is basicallly same size as the Nissan Juke or Mini Countryman.

When comparing the 2/CX-3; the price will be the factor. The CX-3 will appeal to people that don't need a car the size of the CX-5. Plus, the Mazda3 gets expensive even with more power, but the trade off is using more fuel. the CX-3 has just as much space as the Mazda3.

I took a CX-5 diesel home for the night. Boooorrrring. It's just a big-for-nothing. A redesigned Tribute/Escape. pretty much a Forester diesel with an "M" badge. The best feature are the HIDs at night and early morning. I'd stick with a Mazda6 Touring if I need the space. As it stands, until the MX-5 arrives, the CX-3 is the hot ticket.

I took a CX-5 diesel home for the night. Boooorrrring. It's just a big-for-nothing. A redesigned Tribute/Escape. pretty much a Forester diesel with an "M" badge. The best feature are the HIDs at night and early morning. I'd stick with a Mazda6 Touring if I need the space. As it stands, until the MX-5 arrives, the CX-3 is the hot ticket.
Thats the whole idea of the SUV segment.

The Territory gave us the F6 at least. The XT Forester has bite. Good thing for the CUV segment. The Juke Nismo and CX-3 lead the class.

Autoblog likes it.

03-2016-mazda-cx-3-fd-1.jpg

Not as practical and versatile as the Honda HRV but a better driver and looker with better quality.

I agree that not offering a stick, even with the FWD version, is an odd choice. But maybe they're going for an all-inclusive premium-ish CUV deal like Hyundai or Kia might do.

Depending on the price difference, I would still go for a 3 with a manual. I don't need AWD bad enough to get the CX-3 and I want a manual.

It seems like such an un-Mazda thing to do to not offer it with the stick. Maybe it'll show up later, but, I have my doubts. It certainly looks better than most of its competition, I'd be interested to drive one back-to-back with a Renegade and an HR-V.

It seems like such an un-Mazda thing to do to not offer it with the stick. Maybe it'll show up later, but, I have my doubts. It certainly looks better than most of its competition, I'd be interested to drive one back-to-back with a Renegade and an HR-V.
They might be doing some sort of demand thing similar to how Chevrolet responded with the 2015 MY SS, releasing a stick option with everyone rejoicing, I dunno.

They might be doing some sort of demand thing similar to how Chevrolet responded with the 2015 MY SS, releasing a stick option with everyone rejoicing, I dunno.

My guess would have been that they'd base it off the volume leaders in that class - the Buick Encore and Chevrolet Trax. Neither of those have a stick available in the US, and outside of the base-trim model, its the same story for the Fiat 500X.

SHHHHHHH. DON'T CRUSH THE DREAM.
I'm not trying to, but unfortunately, I get the feeling that Mazda Speed is dead. As of now, Mazda USA is focusing on their innovation, SkyActiv technology, and advanced safety, and not performance.

I'm not even sure if any new Mazdas have over 200 horsepower.

On the other hand you can have a CX-5 with a stick, which seems like it would be a lot less in demand then a manual CX-3.

Its not a cost issue either, they already have the gearbox and the tooling at the Hiroshima plant. Bit of a head scratcher.

I'm not trying to, but unfortunately, I get the feeling that Mazda Speed is dead. As of now, Mazda USA is focusing on their innovation, SkyActiv technology, and advanced safety, and not performance.

I'm not even sure if any new Mazdas have over 200 horsepower.
You must have missed my post in the Mazda3 thread the other day stating that Mazda plans to unveil the new Mazdaspeed version of that car at the Frankfurt show in September.

On the other hand you can have a CX-5 with a stick, which seems like it would be a lot less in demand then a manual CX-3.

Its not a cost issue either, they already have the gearbox and the tooling at the Hiroshima plant. Bit of a head scratcher.
Yeah, I don't see the point of a stick shift CX-5. It's nowhere near a sporty or fun car to drive.

You must have missed my post in the Mazda3 thread the other day stating that Mazda plans to unveil the new Mazdaspeed version of that car at the Frankfurt show in September.
I didn't even visit the Mazda 3 thread.

So folks, good news. We might be getting a Mazda Speed car sometime soon.

Have you actually driven it? Because pretty much every auto review will say otherwise.
No, I have not. But judging by the appearance and amount of horsepower, it's not your ideal sports car. It could be dun to drive, but that does not make it sporty.

No, I have not. But judging by the appearance and amount of horsepower, it's not your ideal sports car. It could be dun to drive, but that does not make it sporty.
The CX-5 is a CUV.

Funny I just searched for "Mazda CX-5 Review" and the first link is to Car and Driver. Upon clicking the link, the very first paragraph on the page starts with:

The apex-loving CX-5 is the sports car of crossovers, with an athleticism you have to experience to believe. A 155-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder is available only with a six-speed manual and front-wheel drive; all-wheel drive is not offered. For more zoom, choose the 184-hp 2.5-liter four-cylinder. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional; either teams with a six-speed automatic. The CX-5 is tech savvy and offers useful cargo room, but its strength is its poise on the road.

As I was saying...

Back