My New 1996 Mx-5 Miata - 2017 Dixie Championship Tour

It revs up a bit quicker. I actually sheared the stock bolts that hold the pulley to the hub after about 6 track days. This is a one piece design, eliminating the need for the fragile stock bolts.

I got a chance to drive ( slow-ish ) a miata with a light flywheel on racing slicks... man I wish my car felt like that :D

Anyway, I finally replaced the fuel filter in this car car ( group tech session ), some how I have had the part for months but never installed?

IMG_4611_hdr_mode_1.jpg

So, I have had the car for over a year now and I can't imagine a more fun car for the price. Sure I could maybe gotten a "better" car but I have learned so much working on this car I can't imagine not having all the fun hours with the car.

Outside of replacing a brake light switch and an air filter change I had never turned a wrench on a real car. It was so much fun taking my MAF and the rest of the intake plastics off for the first time to change the belts.

IMG_7224.jpg

I was so happy I took a picture.​

Then my first actual work was the timing belt, I took over 160 pictures just to make sure I didn't forget how to put anything back.

IMG_7808.jpg

Like this...​

All this messing with my car actually resulted in a new job. My web development work was slowing down and because of a long list of reasons I was considering a job with normal hours ( I like sleep ). I now work at the local autoparts store. Sure it is an "odd" work direction change but I'm actually happier.

The car is great for trip around town but I'm I have a a few moments of "why did I buy a car with a glove boxed sized trunk?" For example, I had trouble fitting a 32in TV in the car, any bigger and it wasn't going to happen. When I go grocery shopping I have had to spit shopping list up because it wouldn't all fit in 1 trip.

So far I havn't done any long road trips in the car ( that will change ) but I have still had a blast driving it around. It had a "twitchy understeery" handling characteristic when I first got it but mismatched balding tire will do that. So now the car handles like much better... and because of that I'm already getting another set of all-seasons tires on this car for street driving. I can believe I'm saying this but it now has to much grip. I miss the cars old "bad" habits. I don't believe in breaking traction on the street but I miss the tire noise and the squirming it did at road legal speeds on all-seasons.

That is to much grip for road use, !NOT! for autocross. For autocross I'm still chasing grip. 15s with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R are in the plans (or BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S). I have never had so much fun in a car as I have had autocrossing.

autocross.jpg

A bit of correction to catch a slide.​

I can't say I've had a "bad" day at the air strip or parking lot. I'm smiling if I lose and I'm smiling if I win. The car isn't the most setup car. It routinely competes for least setup car but it's still just as fun as any other car. People have been incredibly nice to help me get faster and even let me drive their cars. I have learned to be a better driver in this car and a big reason is because I spent so much time sliding around on all-season with a "not ideal at all" alignment.

Recently I have gotten into taking pictures at the events and it's a lot of fun. I normally come home with 400 to 600 pictures after each event.

IMG_4463.gif

So far I'm over a year in and I would hate to imagine life without it.

We had our last points event and I ended the season 4th in points, not bad but I really wanted 3rd. It was close but "problems" on both sides messed up the fight, mine was that Red Ford Pictured below. Very fast car.

4th.jpg

A few weeks later we did the last "Fun" event of the season. And by "fun" I mean CRAZY fun. They call it an Endurocross, it works just like any other event except we do multiple laps around the course. So about 3:30 minutes per run. I had never pushed the car for more than a minute so I was a little worried about my junky brake pads but they did fine. My last run was filmed!

Here are both runs:

The car is done for this season, can't wait for the next one!

all set.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

Is it just me or does it seem I post about NEW! tires too often?

Any way, NEW TO ME WHEELS AND TIRES! 205/50/R15 DIREZZA ZII STAR SPEC on KOSEI K4R 15X8 I got them very lightly used, I almost didn't believe they had ever been driven on. They feel great and I can't wait to autocross on them. SO MUCH GRIP!

IMG_5615.jpg

They are a lot wider than my old tires, I really like the feel of the 15X8 rim. Lightyears better than my 14X5.5s.

They look great too! Now I need to wash my car again.

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5619.jpg

In other news is, I won rookie of the year in my autocross club! Next season starts next week and I can't wait to see how my car does after our classing updates.

IMG_5639_hdr_mode_1.jpg

IMG_5655_hdr_mode_1.jpg
IMG_5635_hdr_mode_1.jpg
IMG_5626_hdr_mode_1.jpg
IMG_5648_hdr_mode_1.jpg
IMG_5666_hdr_mode_1.jpg

I got some better pictures now of new wheel and tire combo. I have since taken them back off and packed them up for this Sunday. I'll be dailying the Azenis, keeping the DIREZZA ZII's for autocross only. I'll also use the Azenis for autocross events that are "fun" no points events. I should be able to get the most of both tires.

Small fix today:

IMG_6936.jpg

I was inspecting my car for this Saturday's autocross and found that the battery terminal was trashed.

IMG_9053.jpg

Still an autocross but this time at a track! I won my class ( STR instead of stock because of my 8in wide tires with this club ) and got a t-shirt!

It was a fun course and just wish I pushed harder and didn't get the car out of shape under braking. My time could have been at least 1 second faster.

IMG_9045.jpg

I made it to my first big(ish) event: The Florida Autocross State Championship (SCCA)!

lineup.jpg

I was running STR again thanks to my wheels so I wasn't really competing for the top spot on the podium. All of the STR cars had suspension tuning, grip and more power. The podium was an NC and 2 S2ks. So now that I have my excuses out of the way here is how it went down.

getting ready.jpg

Started with making sure the car was ok. Gave it a good cleaning. I think I have a vacuming leak but I can't seem to find it so I left it at that. A friend let me use his helmets.

trunk.jpg

Took my standard autocross kit: oil, antifreeze, tarp, extra shoes, chair and tripod. I didn't bring my tire sprayer because it was a cool day and I figured I wouldn't need. I forgot my brake fluid.

it begins.jpg

After a nice two and a half hour drive up I made it to the track again and got setup. The course layout was great and I was really looking forward to driving it. My car isn't very fast in a straight compared to my competitors so I'm glad it was a slower course layout than the last time I ran at this site.

front.jpg

My group/heat was the first to run so we got a nice cold track. The tires did great! It seems like people had a grip problem in the morning but I don't think my tires let me down to much in the cold.

12247775_1215444685137479_5587917087095628273_o.jpg

Photo by Scott Lineberry

My numbers on the other hand did have a problem. Both the tape and the magnetics failed so they decided they wanted to leave my car.

My time was good for 4th out of 8 cars. Not bad for what I was driving. I needed to cut about 2 seconds from from my best time to get 3rd. Not last was my goal so I'm happy with it. I was 3rd fastest miata out of all the classes and considering my car is "stock" except for rim width ( still only on 205s ) I'm really happy with that.

12244593_1215444711804143_7373456617204952653_o.jpg

Photo by Scott Lineberry

My next mod will be better shocks ( my current shocks are about OEM for a base Miata ), my car is just pounding the bump stops and the shocks can't keep up with it at all.

paddock.jpg

Overall it was a great day! Until I got my car and me silly lost on the way home :lol: Turned a 2:30 hour drive into a 5:00 hour trip :D

IMG_1894.jpg

On friday our local junkyard had a 40% sale so a friend and myself did some parts hunting. I picked up an original airbox for it. The old cone air filter was just pulling in hot air. I figure a stock air box will be better. I might add some thermal tape to help it more. Now I just need some koni yellows!

Small update:
More of my brake update has been ordered, I'm still picking out my brake pad combo, I may go StopTech all round but I want more rear brake bias. So I "may" mix in some HAWK pads.

I also finished up my last points autocross event for 2015. Short layout but fun. I finished 2nd and gained some ground in the points.

Very good run to watch, man you're fast! It'll be great to see how you go in competition once you get the Miata to where you want it!

After running the 205 ZII Star Specs I gave the 195 Azenis another go for the "December Pointless Event" new location for me and the surface loved the Azenis, right up until they overheated :lol: I quickly remembered why I like the Star Specs. I can finally run in ES ( true "stock" ) class in my car with the new air box and correct rim width. I had a great battle for 1st but I came up short and was happy with second.

IMG_2879.jpg

Just wrapped up my last event of the year. 2015 was my first full year with the car and autocrossing it monthly. My car did over 140 runs on 4 different tires ( 5 if you count the ones I borrowed ) with 3 different clubs at 5 different locations. Here is every autocross event from 2015 I have on video edited into a single run!

I can't wait for next year! New locations, and I finally should be getting a real track day under my belt :)

Good new is the car 2nd in the first autocross in 2016 for my area. I wasn't even driving it! I was in another friend's NC and squeaked out a class win in it.

IMG_3774-2.jpg

I got to take some more pictures of my car in action.

The bad news is 2 days later the radiator failed completely about 2:30 hours before I needed it to get to work. Thankfully it's an easy thing to fix and the store I work at actually had one in stock. So now the car is on it's 3rd radiator :(

Last edited:
Good new is the car 2nd in the first autocross in 2016 for my area. I wasn't even driving it! I was in another friend's NC and squeaked out a class win in it.

I got to take some more pictures of my car in action.

The bad news is 2 days later the radiator failed completely about 2:30 hours before I needed it to get to work. Thankfully it's an easy thing to fix and the store I work actually had one in stock. So now the car is on it's 3rd radiator :(
Maybe go with an aluminum radiator? I've been using the Sonic Motors one for a few years now with no complaints.

Maybe go with an aluminum radiator? I've been using the Sonic Motors one for a few years now with no complaints.

Just about every car in my class ( ES / S4 ) has a plastic radiator. One guy ran an aluminum one for a bit but said he could feel the unwanted weight and sold it. I had a chance to get a new Mishimoto radiator for cheap that now I wish I jumped on.

I had suspicions that the last radiator was defective months ago but then it was fine. This one looks better put together so I have higher hopes.

Just about every car in my class ( ES / S4 ) has a plastic radiator. One guy ran an aluminum one for a bit but said he could feel the unwanted weight and sold it. I had a chance to get a new Mishimoto radiator for cheap that now I wish I jumped on.

I had suspicions that the last radiator was defective months ago but then it was fine. This one looks better put together so I have higher hopes.
Interesting. I can't imagine the weight is that drastic haha. I didn't notice at all. Most alloy tanks hold more liquid too, but I'm not sure what your rules are for the class.

Well, I picked a bad day to choke and I did on my last run in last weekends autocross. I had a good run going in the and I braked about 35 ft too late for the last element. If I had just lifted before the last cone I would have not all but killed my championship hopes :(

Also I had a co driver. So I was able to get more pictures of my car.

IMG_4693.jpg

Unfortunately my car has a new really loud clunk in the front suspension. I need to get it fixed soon. Also my shocks are doing a good job considering how cheap they are but I noticed my car has more body roll than SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee...

In other news I have signed up for a tarmac rally. I can't wait! 8 stages of FUN!!!!!

I have fixed 99% of my suspension problems and now just have a noisy rear sway bar link. The new tie rod ends fixed the noise that showed up at the last event. I also got an alignment so now the car has rear camber again on both sides :)

I don't know why but I'm just not fast anymore. Or maybe I'm not getting any faster but other are. I seem to have forgotten how to drive and it's really been showing in the past 3 events. I have the car as fast as it's ever been but my times relative to the field have not changed or have gotten worse. Well I have 2 weeks to put an end to this before the next points event. I still have a good shot at 2nd in points overall.

Those things are well known for noise and coming apart if they are old enough. (sounds like that happened in the front) Still on stock sways?

Still on stock sways, I'm just 100% removing the rear bar for now. I'm faster with it disconnected. The front seems to be still holding up.

Tarmac rallies are awesome!

A new event opened up locally ( about 2 and a quarter hours away ) and thanks to some silly dangerous rules they let my car run just because I was able to borrow a OEM hardtop for the event.

Only a bit of video from run 2, camera died.

start.jpg

I started the day at 4:30am, was going to meet up with a group heading down to drive/watch.

gtp_stop.jpg

Thankfully I wasn't the only one bringing a 100% stock miata so I had some competition. The "paddock" was nice.

IMG_5369.jpg

The event was cut short, we only had 2 runs instead of 8.

IMG_5386.jpg

2 people found a some power poles and knocked them down, then they caught fire. Also, some else was stuck in a ditch. A lot of damaged car at the end of the event so I was glad to bring mine back in 1 piece.

What a fun looking event, 6 minutes of flat out driving on narrow roads! What is that location mate? Looks like an entire town has been abandoned or something?

Great video, especially liked your little bits of commentary :lol:

Shame about only getting a couple runs, does it look like they'll organise it again or is it perhaps too dangerous?

Keep up the good work 👍 :gtpflag:

What a fun looking event, 6 minutes of flat out driving on narrow roads! What is that location mate? Looks like an entire town has been abandoned or something?

Great video, especially liked your little bits of commentary :lol:

Shame about only getting a couple runs, does it look like they'll organise it again or is it perhaps too dangerous?

Keep up the good work 👍 :gtpflag:

It was near Arcadia, FL. An old WWII training airfield, and later on a prison. The place was abandoned then sold and now it will eventually become a proper race track.

I think another event will happen soon-ish ( no official date yet ). Not sure if they will keep the same rule book because a lot of people felt cars like mine are unsafe for that type of course ( including me ). Still if I'm allowed I will be back. It was some of the most fun driving I have ever had.

Also we got the results finalized now. I was 3rd out of 16 in class ( 2WD Stock ) and 10th out of 50 overall. Great considering I was only on my "daily" tires and not the 205 Dunlop Star Specs.

Latest Posts

Back