My S2000 project (I'll take 4 more cylinders and one of them turbo thingies, please)

• Thread starter Glubags
  • 187 comments
Depends on what I can do with the rear quarter panels. The flares I wanted are discontinued and out of stock everywhere that previously carried them, so unless I can find them from a private seller, my options are altering flares for another application to fit the S2000, or a cut/pull/fill job on the rear panels, or molding my own.

Whichever way it goes, I'll be looking for around 2" of additional outward coverage to keep some 315s tucked away.

Well guys I am VERY happy to say that an awesome guy on S2KI has sold me his set of the flares I needed! He had been deployed for a while and never had a chance to install them, so they're brand new! I was so lucky to get these, and FedEx shows them arriving next week!

They're the discontinued Arrows flares you can't find anymore:

http://www.arrows-japan.com/parts-bodykit2.html

bodykit2-1.jpg

bodykit2-2.jpg
bodykit2-3.jpg

bodykit2-4.jpg
bodykit2-5.jpg

I'm going to be able to cut out a significant portion of the fenders and quarter panels and have lots of tire clearance with these, without the insane expense of a full widebody kit or all the potential bodywork headaches that could result from an off-track mishap with a full widebody... I seriously couldn't be happier. :D

I'm not going to mold them into the body for the same reasons posted above, so it'll be a riv-nut job, but if they were to be molded in, they'd look like this (again, the Arrows car):

arrows-top.jpg

:D :D :D

Well guys I am VERY happy to say that an awesome guy on S2KI has sold me his set of the flares I needed! He had been deployed for a while and never had a chance to install them, so they're brand new! I was so lucky to get these, and FedEx shows them arriving next week!

Congrats. Once you get them, make fiberglass molds to reproduce them if they do get damaged. :P

Funny you say that... I (somewhat jokingly) told my fiancée tonight that I'm gonna call around a few car stereo places here who do extensive fiberglass work and see if they'd be able to make molds :)

YEAH!!!! I love the rivet-on look on anything, it gives a very "blehIdontcareforaestheticsIjustwantrubber" hardcore attitude... which your car will more than back up!!!

Man this thing is turning out fantastic... if I get a chance, I'll for sure try to schedulle a photo shoot of your car for the magazine... even if I have to travel that far to get it.

Thanks guys!

Went up to the shop to pick up the stock axles to ship them off to a buyer from the S2KI forums, and got to see the finished differential mounts. Black piece is the rear mounting bracket (couldn't get a clear shot of the front mounts under the car), so the Ford 8.8" IRS diff is all mounted up to the stock subframe's mounting positions (click):

Interesting info: I went ahead and took home the stock differential and driveshaft as well, and already got an inquiry on a price for the differential + shipping, so I jumped on the scale without it, then with it, to get a weight for the shipping estimate, and to my surprise the damned thing weighs 70 pounds. Next to the bulkier Ford diff, you'd be CERTAIN it was lighter, but the Ford piece only weighed 64 pounds. That's the power of aluminum casing I guess. Unintended weight reduction FTW.

Flares arrived today!!

utf-8BSU1HMDA2ODktMjAxMDA0MTQtMTYwN.jpg

In the original boxing with some of the original packing materials (Japanese newspaper) no less!

utf-8BSU1HMDA2OTAtMjAxMDA0MTQtMTYwN.jpg

:D :D :D

I never knew you could fit a >5 litre V8 in a S2K...

I never knew you could fit a >5 litre V8 in a S2K...
I never figured anyone would ever want to stuff a V8 that small in one to begin with. It'd be a waste of time, and thus Glubag's turbo'd engine lol. If you're gonna do it, do it big.

Wait, what? A V8 "that small"?? lol, this is a stroked LS2. 6.6 liters. He was saying greater than 5 liters.

402ci is by no means a "small" V8.

Plus... even if I were to leave it naturally aspirated, having 3 times the torque, reliably, without sacrificing weight or balance, is neeevvvveerrr a waste of time.

I was calling the 5.0 small. Why on earth would you drop in a 5.0 when your 6.6 is no bigger on the outside, but lots bigger on the inside. Most V8s we have here in the States are bigger than 5.0 anyway, even the basic old LS1 that everyone mounts in everything starts at 5.7.

I was calling the 5.0 small. Why on earth would you drop in a 5.0 when your 6.6 is no bigger on the outside, but lots bigger on the inside. Most V8s we have here in the States are bigger than 5.0 anyway, even the basic old LS1 that everyone mounts in everything starts at 5.7.

Dude there are pros and cons to every engine, its not all just displacement.

Anyway good work with the S2000 Glubags, its shaping up to be a real monster, and it's obvious you've put a lot of homework into it, and your car is a real passion for you, I respect that.

How long now till you get to sample the finished swap? Must be agony waiting for it! I only just bought my GT-Four and its in a workshop getting some work done to it, I should have it back in around 4 to 5 weeks - thats painful enough, I went in the other day to make a payment for them to order the parts and saw it sitting there and got all happy again haha. Offered the owner of the workshop some blankets to cover the car while its in there, I think I offended him he said its ok we treat them like they are own (He is very good with the car I must say, very respectful)

I only just bought my GT-Four and its in a workshop getting some work done to it, I should have it back in around 4 to 5 weeks - thats painful enough, I went in the other day to make a payment for them to order the parts and saw it sitting there and got all happy again haha. Offered the owner of the workshop some blankets to cover the car while its in there, I think I offended him he said its ok we treat them like they are own (He is very good with the car I must say, very respectful)

Sorry to intervene here and go off topic, but I've heard enough horror stories of workshops taking money then not doing the job properly or at all, I'd be wanting to pay after it was done.

Sorry to intervene here and go off topic, but I've heard enough horror stories of workshops taking money then not doing the job properly or at all, I'd be wanting to pay after it was done.

This. What do you need doing to your car that takes 5 weeks at a mechanics anyways? Or is this one of the mates rates after hours thing?

But to keep things on topic, that looks like an insane car in the making. You planning to paint the flares, or just leave them black?

Oh, no, thanks for your concern! But the reality is that the shifter linkage cables are stuffed, long story, but the car is un driveable. So in order to fix, I need new cables from Japan, which are a 4 - 5 week wait, and I paid him the money for the cables so he could order them (have reciept lol). I've seen the parts, gone in to see the car (I wanted to see it with the lower part of the dash removed as I was looking for the harness for the piggy back ECU)

The guys are very professional, I chose them based on multiple recommendations. They offered to keep my car there whilst parts arrive, as it is a 4WD, so to get it home I'd need to get it delivered on a flat bed.

Just saw a V8 that would suit the car even better … 💡 That way it'll still have VTEC …
DSC_7411.jpg

DSC_7419.jpg

DSC_7421.jpg

Maybe for a stage II of your project in a couple of years :D

Edit:
Alright, and after this useless spamming I'll add a super-quick and ultra-dirty
PSD-job of the lowres pic with the flares colour-options. Might want to do a
proper one later on, but just for a first look:
s2kv8flaresblack.jpg

s2kv8flaresyellow.jpg

Last edited:
If you had the front lip the same as that car, bearing in mind that black in the mock up is a bit greyer than it would really be, it would look not too bad in black as it matches it. I wasn't convinced at first look, but then it grew on me. However without it it may be a different story. I don't know, having them body colour is definatly nice, the black just has more of an agressive race look.

Horny flairs either way!

EDIT Imagine how it would look end on with them in black though, and I lean more in favour of body coloured, as it'd look wider than if they were black - black is very slimming you know!

The flares don't really come around enough, in a purely functional form, so I'd also say body coloured because they look awkward and out of place in black.

Thanks for the photoshop!

And the F1 engine... lol. I'll be developing about those horsepower levels, albeit with one third the rev range and the help of forced induction. The more the raw power goal sinks in, the scarier this build becomes. I absolutely can't wait to get it finished and on the track, but I see lots of opposite lock in my future.

Latest Posts

Back