NASCAR 2003 (Sierra/Papyrus)

• Thread starter Earth
  • 78 comments
Does this league still race? I finally got my hands on a wheel again and would like to try some online play. (the A.I. can get frustratung at times, burrying it in the turns at richmond wrecking me, even though im already against the bumper of the car in front of me) but thats beside the point. Lol

Just got this and it keeps looping through the config window.
bandicam 2015-08-03 11-50-39-947.jpg

I got the NR2003 demo myself last night. What I did was set the compatibility to Windows XP SP3. It worked fine since.

Besides that, I was real pleased finally seeing what this game has to offer, even despite its age. Should I happen to get the full game, I have interest in doing racing liveries for cars.

Have to play it in 800x600 or it won't work for some reason. Currently ran a quick 5% race at Daytona using the #48 Chevy and got from 42nd to 23rd on "Auto AI". I re did the same race on Auto AI and the AI suddenly got a lot tougher so they must update after each race or something.

I remember this game. I remember never being able to find it after I managed to find a machine capable of running it.

Meet the latest member of the NASCAR Racing 2003 Edition realm- me! I explained in the "What Games Are You Playing Now?" thread about getting this game. I downloaded a lot of stuff just to hope I get to play this game successfully. The one thing I haven't been able to do yet is get my XBOX 360 controller to use the triggers for throttle and brake. I could do this with no problem from the NR2003 demo. However, I have to settle for some other buttons for throttle and brake.

I am currently using the NASCAR Generation 6 mod as far as cars are concerned. I am considering getting the GTP mod and some kind of open-wheel mod (not necessarily the IndyCar Series DW12 mod). Using the Gen-6 NASCAR mod makes me imagine I'm making my own GTPlanet NASCAR Fantasy Series aside from the official one. I'm even feeling a bit like I want to envision my own IndyCar deal like with the Indy series our own BRRT_Angel is setting up. Since I'm getting started with this, I just have that little kid on Christmas happiness and imagination with wanting to make cars (and maybe teams as well). I like how you can customize team uniforms, the team hauler, and the little pit sign in NR2003. Since my colors are blue and gold, I am just using the best-looking blue and gold I could find among the default teams. So I am using the #30 America Online team colors among the default cars. I actually had an America Online Chevrolet that I downloaded for when I played the very first "NASCAR Racing." My own car with the Gen-6 cars is a Chevrolet.

I guess I have to get used to having a workaround to try to get designs into NR2003. My best editor in my possession is Photoshop Elements, but PSE no longer supports TGA format images since PSE12. So my possible workaround is to use Paint.NET as my primary hub. I could save the TGA in another format to use in the PSE13 I have, and then save those results to load into Paint.NET to save into TGA. Or if I have a PSD template, just use that and then export those results to Paint.NET to save into TGA format. It's almost the same sort of workaround for if I was making car skins for rFactor or any SimBin racing game. Paint.NET is going to have to be a great outlet for my work. One last note... I fear cars may look funny if I try to upload some of them through NR2003. The standard cars in NR2003 are 512x512. Cars like in the NASCAR Gen-6 mod are 1024x1024. Try to mess around with the Gen-6 cars' paint style through NR2003's paint suite, and they don't look right. It is just something I am a bit uneasy about in wanting to modify these cars.

Playing the game, I have grown quite rusty with the Papyrus sims since graduating to stuff like the very first GTR and with rFactor. The game is just fabulous even today. Okay. So maybe "NASCAR Racing 2003 Edition" looks completely dated. Maybe it isn't as gritty as most of today's sim racers. Who f:censored:ing cares? This game still delivers the goods. Even for a game 10+ years old and still revered and modded by dedicated individuals (including us GTPlaneteers), it speaks high volumes as to this game being incredible. I almost sort of feel like I wish I had this game earlier and if I had a better PC at the time.

Great experience. Great game.

Just got this and I think it's great. I still can't complete a race without spinning at least once but it's just so much fun to be involved in a 20 car pileup that was totally my fault.

I play nr2003 from time to time within my small circle of friends. I'm not the fastest but its still alot of fun. I love road course racing on this game so much. Has anyone tried Sonoma Night? I if not, i recommend it.

Just finished my first race and finished 34th due to a huge wreck on lap 7. (I do the races at 5% length so it was 10 laps total). I span across turn 2 then another car t-boned mine and I went flipping off the track, totalling it. I qualified 2nd and was in the top 5 for the majority of the race

NR2003 is great fun. I'm looking forward to open a "Friday Night GTP NR2k3 Fun Races" if anyone would be up for it.

@Jahgee1124 they are supposed to hit that bump and crash, that's how the track was made. :lol: And they t-bone each other, just give it some time during the race,
By the way, take a look at the pit speed limit on Destruction Arena. :lol:

NR2003 is great fun. I'm looking forward to open a "Friday Night GTP NR2k3 Fun Races" if anyone would be up for it.

@Jahgee1124 they are supposed to hit that bump and crash, that's how the track was made. :lol: And they t-bone each other, just give it some time during the race,
By the way, take a look at the pit speed limit on Destruction Arena. :lol:
If you open that then wouldn't be at Fun Runs lmao :lol:

Back