NASCAR 2003 (Sierra/Papyrus)

• Thread starter Earth
  • 78 comments
Well, I can honestly guarantee using a DS3 ain't the easiest thing to drive with. :lol:

And I haven't been at Fun Runs recently... not even that has been enough for me to turn on GT6.

I managed to take the controller settings from my NR2003 demo and put those settings into my main NR2003 folder. I can now use the triggers on my XBOX 360 controller for throttle and brake. I also set it up to where I could better set the gear shifts with the other triggers. The difference in handling is that I can get better drive out of the corners. I practiced today by running 15 laps around Chicagoland with the NASCAR Gen-6 mod.

On the car painting front, I practiced placing decals using Photoshop PSD file templates for the Gen-6 cars. All I did was take the logo to one of my blogs and applied it as a hood decal. The file was then put into Paint.NET and converted to a TGA. Then, I uploaded the result into NR2003, and it looked great. All that remains is to make something more interesting looking. Part of the reason why I tend to enjoy making cars in the Papyrus racing sims is because I found the car painting to be easier than with, say... a SimBin racer or rFactor. The best thing is that unlike past Papyrus sim racers I've played, you have a full color palette to make your effects with as opposed to a set index of colors.

Should I get on a roll designing my own NR2003 cars, I'll be sure to share my creations online.

Bad to worse story coming up. One race I did tonight was at Dover. I end up getting whacked to where my car was upside down. After requesting a tow truck to get back to the pits, the crew tried to work on my car. The next thing I heard from the spotter was something about an air gun getting jammed or something. That delayed my pit stop; and the next thing I know it, I'm three laps down. I'm like... "you bastards!" Bad as this is, it is likely very realistic. So part of me respects this level of detail in the game, but another just makes me want to punch my TV monitor knowing I got screwed in the pits.

I still have been practicing designing cars. One thing I did was download something where I could easily put contingency sponsors on cars. I am talking about the small decals you normally see on the sides of stock cars around the front wheels. I can use these smaller decals as better details for my cars. Still working on making a team car as well as a primary car for my NR2003 racing. I learned the paint set for the pit crew and such is a "Warwagon." I'll have to learn how to modify this to make my own team colors and uniforms.

I found out how to get CarView working after reading something from another message board. Good thing is that I can now preview how cars will look without needing to open NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. Doing so allows me to get a better idea of how cars look once all the design elements are applied before all the trick 3D graphics stuff are all applied to the cars when you play them in game. And right now, this is the best I can do to try to see my cars since I don't have 3D Studio Max or anything to make renders. Only thing of use I have is Blender, and I haven't used that program in ages even when I was making voxel models and trying to rig them with bones.

Last night, I won my first race (finally). It was at Sonoma Raceway (Infineon) as I used the Trans-Am mod. I tried doing donuts as I was about to head into pit road. Sadly, it isn't as simple as you could in NR1999. In that game, all you needed to do was depress the throttle quickly twice to get the car to spin. I basically was using the clutch to try to get the car to spin. I eventually did make the donuts before heading into the pits. Then heading into the pits, one jerk ended up spinning me out as I was trying to get to my pit stall. Still, I got my first win in the game. I was happy (as I should be).

Who would be up tomorrow night for some SuperSpeedway, Figure 8, Road Course and maybe Short Track racing? We could get together on Skype, someone open a hamachi server (unless someone knows how to host a server), everyone gets the same mod and carset (for example, original cup mod with 2007 TeamSBR Nextel Cup HiRes Carset) and same tracks (Destruction Arena, Daytona TR, Watkins Glen Revamped, etc) and we go on through the night.

Anyone up?

Who would be up tomorrow night for some SuperSpeedway, Figure 8, Road Course and maybe Short Track racing? We could get together on Skype, someone open a hamachi server (unless someone knows how to host a server), everyone gets the same mod and carset (for example, original cup mod with 2007 TeamSBR Nextel Cup HiRes Carset) and same tracks (Destruction Arena, Daytona TR, Watkins Glen Revamped, etc) and we go on through the night.

Anyone up?
I.

Sure thing, but why not today? :P

I'm doing some stuff on the apartment and I might go to Uni tomorrow (still haven't been able to change my schedule to night, so I still gotta go in the morning...), so I thought Friday would be best.

I'll post when I'm done with apartment stuff and I'll join you guys.

The game keeps crashing anytime I do a race. I can get to the garage part but as soon as I go to race it crashes. I reinstalled the game (and the 1.2 patch + .exe) but it still crashes.

Back