need help with VW bug settings

I just got the Gran Turismo game for Playstation 2 last week. I am not really an expert with playing it and need some help with a small problem. I got the regular VolksWagen bug in the game and added all the available upgrades to it but now it will not go. I don't know what I did wrong. I just wanted it to go real fast so I added all the extra stuff but now when you hit the "gas" it just sits there and will not go. If the car is on a level spot of the road then when you keep pressing the gas button it will eventually kick into gear and start driving after about two minutes but then it stops going faster than about 80 or 100 MPH even though the specs for the car has it at over 275 horsepower and if you stop then you can't get it to go again. If the road is not level then the car just slowly rolls backward at 2 MPH and will not go forward at all. How should I adjust the settings to make it go? I have tried all different settings of gears and torque but can not seem to get it fixed. I even tried switcing back to original parts where that was allowed but got no change.

Thanks for any help with this :embarrassed:)

Should be in the Settings forum, but... :D

It sounds like you're a) running automatic gears and b) screwed up the gearbox. Switch back to the "normal" gearbox (and press "X" for OK, not "triangle" for go back) and drive it again. It should go somewhere... :D

The original gear settings for the VW Beetle 2.0 GSi (in PAL) are:

Final Drive: 4.240 (set this first)
AutoGear - I don't have data for this. Try 32.
1st: 3.780
2nd: 2.120
3rd: 1.360
4th: 1.030
5th: 0.840

If the individual gear ratios don't go to these numbers, I got the AutoGear wrong :D. If they're too high, AutoGear is too high etc.

Setting these values ought to remedy the problem. SAVE THESE SETTINGS before you play about again - then you can restore them if it all goes Bug-shaped.

Scratch that... With any box you can set the AutoGear on, you can't set the ratios low enough.

Just buy a Sports Gearbox and instal that instead, or revert to the Normal Gearbox. That should remedy it.

And take of the Sports ROM - on the Beetle 2.0 it actually reduces horsepower, amazingly.

It also sounds like you're just smoking the tires off the line and it takes 2 minutes to hook up. 275+ hp and FWD are not known for traction launches.

Not sure what the deal with the Bug is, but I experienced something similar to this in a high hp setup (over 850) when I was going full throttle and hit a barrier head on. The tires kept spinning, the engine kept revving and the car would barely crawl until I got to the pits and changed the tires. These circumstances sound different than what you describe, however. Not to mention the fact that my problem went away with a mere pit stop. If you're having the problem even after you exit the race and return, I may have to concur with Quagmire. :lol:

Hmm...well, basically what Famine said is what you have to do, and be patient with cars, they're not going to go like rockets with every part on them...(well, at least some cars...;))

I tried the setting for the gear ratios like you said but you were right and I can not set them all to those exact numbers. I read in the instruction book for the game that you can have manual or automatic cars but I was given an option when buying any of my cars and it seems they are all automatic. I bought the regular VW bug because I wanted a red one and the fancier bug does not come in any colors except silver. I upgraded it as much as I could using a trick I read on another website. The person said to upgrade the cars with every part you can afford and then save it to only the 2nd memory card and then re-load the game from memory card #1 and buy the car from memory card #2 using the trade thing and you can get the souped-up car for original price. That is cool and it really works. I got the car with all the upgrades for original sticker price of like 12,000 credits but then I discovered it would not run when I went to race it. If I press the gas button the car just sits there on the starting line. The tires don't spin at all. After about a minute when the red line on the speedometer guage finaly reaches the number 3 - 4 area then it kicks in and takes off. but then will only go about 80 MPH with the red lin on the guage boungin back and forth from 5 - 6 area on the guage. The soecs say the car has like 291 HP so I'm thinking it should be faster than the BEetle cup cars with less HP than that but this Bug is buggy and won't run right. I tried adjusting the gears and torque ratios but it runs badly still. I even tried switching back to original parts but it won't run right anyway. I wish the game was set up so when you bought the fancy parts they would have automatically the correct setting or have some choices of pre-set settings for performance. That would make it so much easier.

Thanks for your help :embarrassed:)

OOps! I meant to say I was NOT given an option for choosing manual or automatic cars. I missed to word "not" when typing my reply. Also, about the fast cars. I had bought a lot of the different models now I have played a bunch more and most go really fast when you upgrade them. I only had the problem with the Bug. I read on another website someone commented the cars go faster than the rally or Cup cars if you just buy the regular model and then really upgrade it a lot. It seems that is true. I had a regular Evolution and added everything to it and it has over 500 HP and goes much faster than the Evolution rally car. I wish the game still let you get your regular cars painted with the rally designs like they did before. If they make a part 4 of the game, I hope they put that feature back in.

Hey Bloke..... Your tranny problem can be corrected.. not using the car.. but you have to go to options.. change the gears to MANUAL instead of AUTOMATIC
and.. about ur lil problem... try taking everything off.. then putting it all back on... not sure if that will work.. but it might reset the car's settings so they can be reverted back to normal

Just curious, but do you have a volume control?

No seriously, I'm thinking that if you don't have volume it would explain why you didn't notice the RPM's bouncing on the rev limiter or your tires spinning.

just a thought.

AO

Yes...this is weird...to me it sounds like you're on manual, and going up to 5th gear, and then trying to start at 5th...:odd:

like dodge said... make the car manual and start in a higher gear... also try turning your tcs right up...
sounds to me like a FWD whell spin....

ya kno ving ur th eonly one who likes ff's

its either ur starting in like 3 or 4 or 5th gearseses,tcs is off, or maybe a slow rev

At first I thought something was wrong with the controller because the car and the tires were definitely not moving or smoking. It was like the car had a dead battery for about a minute and then it suddenly revved and started to move a bit and then gradually gained speed but stopped gaining speed at about 85-89 MPH. It does that every time. If I stop the car for any reason, like if I hit a wall or go off the road or something, then the car acts the same way every time I hit the gas. That is wierd. I have not had a problem with any other cars acting like that. I bought a silver new VW bug but it is too slow to keep up with the Beetle Cup cars in that race. I just won a Beetle Cup car tonight but have not tried it out yet. I have been busy trying out the Suzuki Escudo car which I won at the end of the Rally races last night. That is SO cool! Thanks for your help :embarrassed:) I guess I will have to dump the regular VW bug since I can not get it to work right. It has like 279 HP or something like that so I thought it would really be quick but it doesn't work right.

Someone else asked in the list if I had the volume up on my TV. Yes, I always play with the volume turned up. I like the soundtrack on the game.

Go into the Settings screen, write down all the settings and post them here, or mail them to me. Include every part you've added.

I'll try to figure it out :D

No.... 279 HP bugs can still run.. I've tried it before. I'm guessing now, your problem is the gear ratios. The gears are way too wide *long* for the BUG's 279 HP. So what I would do, just take of the transmission, then put it back on. It should reset your gear ratios. That's the only thing I think would happen.

PS: Does the engine go like. bmm.....bmm...bmm.... bmm... when you try to start it off? And does the RPM indictator bounce at the lower end? Like this..
It tries to rev up, but can't, it drops down, is that what happens? If that is... it's most likely your gear ratios

I haven't tossed out the Bug yet. I was trying to mess with the settings some more. I can get it to where it starts off a teeny bit quicker but it still waits at the start line (or any where else that you stop) until the needle reaches about 3 and then it stars going but not real fast and then the needle bounces when it hits the 5-6 area and refuses the go past 89 MPH. I know a car that has that much HP should go faster than that. Here are the settings and also what parts I have added. Since I basically upgraded it the car for free, I addeed whatever I thought it would need for speed.

Semi-racing suspension
sports brakes
brake balance controller
racing muffler and air cleaner
stage 3 tune-up
port polish
full engine balancing
racing chip
triple plate clutch
racing flywheel
full racing transmission
full customize limited slip
sports tires

My blue Beetle Cup car has some of these parts on it also but rides very nicely and I have no problems with it.

My red Beetle 2.0 settings are:

ride height: front - 125mm / rear - 125mm
shock absorbers: front - level5 / rear - level 5
camber angle: front - 1.0 / rear - 0.5
stabilizers: front - level 2 / rear - level 2
brake balance: front - level 9 / rear - level 9
limited slip initial torque: front - 60 / rear - 0
limited slip accel: front - 60 / rear - 0
limited slip decel: front - 60 / rear - 0
active stbility management: level 10
TCS controller: level 5

GEARS

1st: 3.780
2nd: 2.490
3rd:1.950
4th: 1.591
5th: 1.353
6th: 1. 236
final: 4.240

I tried removing the parts and then putting them back on to re-set the setting but the cars runs the same no matter what.

Thanks for trying to help me fix it :embarrassed:)

I forgot to mention: The settings says the car has 298 HP,
weighs 1255 KG, power-to-weight ratio is 4.214 and torque-to-weight ratio is 0.392

I don't think I lightened the weight of the car but I can't really remember.

The only settings I had changed or messed around with are the gears and the limited slip settings but now you point it out I should have turned off the TCS. Level 5 was the setting the car already had on it.

The problem is a combination of things I've already said...

Originally posted by Famine
And take off the Sports ROM - on the Beetle 2.0 it actually reduces horsepower, amazingly.

Taking off the Sports ROM (the computer chip) gives you more horsepower and cures the pick-up fault. Now the car will accelerate happily from dead-stop. Note that the Beetle 2.0 is the ONLY CAR IN THE GAME where the ROM lowers horsepower...

The top speed issue is just crap gears - and these ones are awful. When adjusting gears remember that the steeper the line, the quicker the acceleration, but the further to the right you go, the more speed you get in each gear. Your car would only do 89mph because it was only SET to do 89mph. A Ferrari F40 with these gears would only do 89mph.

Go into the gearbox, ignore ALL the ratio settings for the gears and final drive and move AutoGear to 25. Now your car tops out at 140mph. Until you know what you're doing, I suggest moving the AutoGear around to suit the circuit and leaving everything else alone.

Some other advice... LSD to 5/5/5. TCS and ASM off - helps get rid of the understeer inherent in a 300hp FF car. Buy some race tyres for God's sakes. Sports tyres are next to useless. Get a Race Suspension and set rear toe to -1.5 - that will remove ALL of the understeer. Don't use settings frmo GTVault - at least until you know how to do settings properly yourself.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you really ought to leave well alone until you know what you're doing - and both the settings faults above have already been mentioned in this thread.

Hope the Bug drives better now.

Just booted up GT3 on PCSX2 and had the same bug with the Bug. Wonder, if the problem with Sports ROM exists in real life tho)

Any happy New Beetle 2.0 owners out there?

Interesting, this BUG is not present in EU version. Can't say for JP, as the credits amount given at start is 1,5 mln ¥, and New Beetle 2.0 costs more than that. Was lazy to use money cheat)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back