New Laptop Advice

• Thread starter slims
  • 32 comments
Thanks. Good point for the Acer. I also found this Acer. Much faster CPU and GPU performance is the same according to online websites.

That should do well too. To be honest, there might be bunch of issues with the Hybrid CrossFire, although I must admit it is clever technology when it works as planned, so it would be wise to go with that model instead.

Also, you are correct about the i5-3210M being more powerful than A8-4500m and even the A10-4600m, despite being dual-core but it has hyper-threading, L3 cache and turbo boost so it packs a lot of punch. GT630M should handle light and moderate gaming just fine. 👍

I advise to check the memory speed before adding more RAM, Ivy Bridge laptops may be pre-installed with 1600MHz. Installing additional 1333MHz RAM would slow it down.

Last edited:
Thanks. Good point for the Acer. I also found this Acer. Much faster CPU and GPU performance is the same according to online websites.
Went ahead and got this one. Sure the HD 7670M is faster for some games but overall there isn't much difference between that and the 630M. Plus I don't mind taking a slight hit in gaming performance for more processing power. It's not like I'll be spending the majority of my time gaming.

Yeah djinline the RAM installed is 1600MHz. Will get another 4GB stick sometime soon.

First impressions are good. It's a nice looking laptop and doesn't feel cheap or plasticky. Nice keyboard, screen and touchpad. Runs cool and quiet under normal conditions. When I get some games on it I'll see how noisy it gets. All I'm really doing now is transferring over my files and updating and installing things so nothing processor or graphics intensive but general performance is great. I think I'll be satisfied.

Many thanks for the help GTP. 👍👍

No problem. Enjoy it and make sure you do regular maintenance(Cleaning dust out of the CPU fan once a year and running anti-viruses, malware scanner, and etc...). Plus later down in the line you can have a professional take the laptop apart and replace the GPU and GPU's thermal paste after two years of use. That's the best way to make sure it lasts. Enjoy the new laptop.

Back