New Online A-spec Challenge No. 5

XJ0w1.jpg

Had a tight race at Deep Forest :D I was in a Merc 230 Kompressor and the 2nd car was the Prelude SiR

It's not really racing, and more like a time trial with traffic, but there is always a car you can choose that is either really challenging or absolutely impossible to win with.

So I never understand why people post the race is too easy. Try to win on comfort hards then.

The 650 PP is easy if you use the GT-R 35TC, used racing softs but I'm sure it's possible with racing mediums.

500 PP..used the NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car..engine down to meet the PP... nothing else changed...on Sports Hard...1st with 2,2 sec

hahaha, good on. I used this exact same combo and barely beat that pesky GT-R. Looks nice from behind really, easy to break once you get along side though.

Deep Forest: These 400pp races are really no challenge for me in my Mini.

London: This is a tough one for me, I rarely drive this track and I decided on using my '71 Mustang. It took a few tries too figure out how the car was going to drive and determine my attack plan. I passed the leading NSX R using overwhelming power (390 hp vs. 290 hp) coming out of the final corner.

Laguna Seca: 650pp means I can pull out my beloved GT-R TC. After failing the first attempt on hards, I went at it again with mediums and some VCD adjustments. Got to 2nd on lap 3 (using an overtaking method seen at a CART race in 1996) and passed the leading GT LM at Turn 6 on the final lap.

400 PP Deep Forest:
Mercedes 300SL on Comfort Soft. Stock, first time the engine was started. Restarted after a lap of getting used to the tires(or at least the way they react after the AI brake-checks and reverse-rams you). Passed MX-5 while I was sideways in the grass exiting the final corner on the final lap.

500 PP London Reverse:
Ferrari 512BB, stock on sports soft(guessed that was what the AI would use). Not familiar with the track at all. Got 2nd or 3rd first run a good 10+ seconds behind, restarted the next attempt 2 or 3 times mid-race learning where not to smash the wall. Passed Shelby into the final corner, final lap. Pretty fun.

650 PP Laguna Seca:
Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car, very lightly tweaked setup, Race Hards. 2nd after a few offs on first attempt, won by several seconds the second time but I can't remember the opponent or precisely where I took the lead on the last lap, probably either turn 5 or entering the Corkscrew. Think it was the Spec II Race Car I was chasing.

Last edited:
Been trying different Non-RM cars to do the 650PP Seasonal at Laguna. A few cars really stand out in my mind so far.

1st is the Dodge Viper ACR. This car made this event super fun. I think I had it tuned around 625PP with RS tires. Passed the Mclaren on last corner of race, really didn't expect to win the event with this car. It had a little bit of understeer with Full suspension on default settings, just lowered a bit, but slowing down a little bit more for corner entry and making some driving adjustments made all the difference. This car was mad fun, cause it was still a bit of a challenge. Real neat to drive a car I could teeter between understeer and oversteer.

2nd the Mclaren F1 street car. Still amazed at how fast and good handling this car was. Believe it or not, this was the 1st time I ever drove it, just been sittin in my garage. It showed me why modern supercars are still judged against it. Has to be one of the best supercars ever made.

On the downside. I have to mention what is probably one of the modern supercars that would be judged against the Mclaren F1. The Ferrari Enzo was a complete dog. Again with full suspension on default and lowered, this thing understeers like it's front tires are on ice. Horrible, horrible car with stock settings. Couldn't even beat the event with it and the transition between understeer and oversteer was not predictable either, unlike the Viper ACR. I try not to play with suspensions to much as I want to see the nuances of how each car handles with default settings. Again this was another car just sitting in my garage and now it will probably stay there.

I tried it with the following cars:

400PP - a Cappuccino '95 with 87HP running SM
500PP - a Civic Type R '08 at only 450PP, it was a handful with SS, but easier with RH
650PP - the usual McLaren F1 GTR race car

VW Golf IV R32 '03 for 500pp around London. A fun drive around a track that suits it. Good to get some driving suits for a change as opposed to helmets.

Back