New physics (update 1.31)

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 594 comments
Turn ABS to weak, last update cause a bug and switched like the 120fps bug when ps5 set to performance. I was also confused and thought thats part of the new physics. Since i switched to weak all is like before.
So weak is default now?

Öhm you miss the point. The ABS toggle bugged and switched, weak is normal and viceversa.

No it's not.

I haven't changed the ABS before or after the update and have done the exact same lap times.

How is it bugged?

It works exactly like it did before but the drive and grip physics have been altered not the braking physics?

last update cause a bug and switched like the 120fps bug when ps5 set to performance.
Wait what. What is this 120fps bug you are talking about? Since the update, I sometimes get stutters on some tracks when there are a lot of cars and it is rainy weather. Would changing to a mode other than performance mode fix those stutters?

No it's not.

I haven't changed the ABS before or after the update and have done the exact same lap times.

How is it bugged?

It works exactly like it did before but the drive and grip physics have been altered not the braking physics?
Are you on a wheel or controller? Im on controller and after the update it brakes like set to weak. After i switched to weak its like normal. I dont know its the same for wheel.
Edit: i didnt say the brake physics have changed. In the first moment i thought thats on purpose and part of the update 🫣

@appu
It seems gt7 didnt like the preset from the ps5. Set it to default on ps5 and then choose ingame the mode you want. If you dont use 120fps turn it also off in the ps5 menu. The only stutter i get since then is the new nürburgring endurence layout the rest works fine.

Last edited:
Can anyone else get the tyres to lock and go red under non ABS braking? I get massive screech, telemetry app shows wheel lock but there's no temp gain. Whereas power wheelspin or cornering too fast gives the expected temp rise. Weird.
If you mean rears, I made a thread about this and nobody seemed to care. Can't be too difficult to have ABS mapping options other than standard and weak.

Are you on a pad or wheel?

I combated this problem by recalibrating my pedals to where I’m only getting 100% braking if I’m putting g 100% power into the pedal. It took a bit of getting used to, but in the end I gave me more modulation.

Of course YMMV depending if you have a load cell or not
I've been using a controller mostly. Cbf to set up the wheel unless I have the energy for VR. I can modulate the brakes very well with the L2. Rears used to lock at 10-20% trailbraking. Now it doesn't.

Turn ABS to weak, last update cause a bug and switched like the 120fps bug when ps5 set to performance. I was also confused and thought thats part of the new physics. Since i switched to weak all is like before.
I've tried this. It doesn't lock the rears on light braking and instead locks the fronts on heavy braking. This is similar to standard ABS before but the rears don't lose grip. I think they just messed with how the game interacts with weight shift or placed an exponential ABS gain on the rears to keep the cars pointing straight.

Lexus LFA seems to lock the rears for some reason while others don't.

Are you on a wheel or controller? Im on controller and after the update it brakes like set to weak. After i switched to weak its like normal. I dont know its the same for wheel.
Edit: i didnt say the brake physics have changed. In the first moment i thought thats on purpose and part of the update 🫣

@appu
It seems gt7 didnt like the preset from the ps5. Set it to default on ps5 and then choose ingame the mode you want. If you dont use 120fps turn it also off in the ps5 menu. The only stutter i get since then is the new nürburgring endurence layout the rest works fine.

I'm on a wheel with ABS set to weak from day one.

I consistently post times in the top 1500 in the world and I can say from my experience the braking hasn't changed.

Grip and car body roll has but neither of those change the abs behaviour, what they do change is how and when you brake. It's not the ABS that's changed it's the way the cars respond to it.

@R3V @newmedia_dev

There is defenetly something wrong with it.
This was the first thing i notice that the abs act not like notmal. I know they changed the way how you should brake, more straight line and not steering to much but for what ever reason it switched. Since the update i run it on weak and all is good.
I mean i can run it with both version and hit the same times but in lobbys or dailys i like to have the full ABS specialy wile you should brake a bit earlyier and a lot of people torped you because they not used to it.

@newmedia_dev
You can try to set the abs to normal and look what happen. Maybe it changed for you in a diffrent way.
And yeah im also not from the slower sort so i realice those changes immediately, otherwise i wouldnt wright about it 🙂

And whats also weird. No matter how i set the abs it stays red in the hud.
Before if i set it to weak it was yellow.

Last edited:
I'm on a wheel with ABS set to weak from day one.

I consistently post times in the top 1500 in the world and I can say from my experience the braking hasn't changed.

Grip and car body roll has but neither of those change the abs behaviour, what they do change is how and when you brake. It's not the ABS that's changed it's the way the cars respond to it.
In fact, ABS was changed in the 1.31 update. It's in the patch notes.

"We have adjusted the effect of Traction Control, ABS, Active Stability Management, and Countersteering Assistance in the Assist Settings."

"Controls for the ABS (Antilock Brakes System) have been adjusted. This has improved stability under full braking situations."

Last edited:
I didn't like it at first either, and because there was a reset on the tables I went to do the rally tests and even improved the times, then, not everyone repeated them, I even ended up in the top 10 table

Anyone notice any FFB changes with 1.32? I’m on a G29 and have adapted to the more detailed/lower torque FFB introduced in the previous update. Wondering if there are any undocumented tweaks.

Anyone notice any FFB changes with 1.32? I’m on a G29 and have adapted to the more detailed/lower torque FFB introduced in the previous update. Wondering if there are any undocumented tweaks.

The FFB has definitely got stronger on my TGT2 haven't tried my G29 but it's considerably stronger for me on setting 7.

So much so I've knocked it down to 5 for most high downforce stuff and adjust it back up for road cars etc.

R3V
If you mean rears, I made a thread about this and nobody seemed to care. Can't be too difficult to have ABS mapping options other than standard and weak.
I meant any tire, with ABS disabled. They gain no temperature if I lock up under braking or even handbrake turn.

They are definitely locking and this shows in the telemetry app, just no added heat.

I just tried the new super formula. Even with ABS off and full rear brake bias the rears don't lock and you don't get any increase in rotation. Seems like they just deleted rear brakes from mid and rear engined cars.

I wonder if each point on the brake bias adjustments now corresponds to a different percentage than before? It certainly feels like 5 to the back doesn't feel as far back as it used to.

I just wish it was an actual percentage you could choose from like in practically any other title.

R3V
I just tried the new super formula. Even with ABS off and full rear brake bias the rears don't lock and you don't get any increase in rotation. Seems like they just deleted rear brakes from mid and rear engined cars.

I can't remember the last time I saw a car game or otherwise lock the rear wheels under braking, that would be the most suboptimal thing to engineer in to a car?

Why would you fit the main stopping power to the front and then rely on the rears locking? It makes no sense unless you are on loose traction circuits but then you have a diff and gear selection to do that with. Such a weird concept.

If you want over steer or the rear to drive the corner you'd use power transfer or the LSD to do that rather than brakes 🤔

Last edited:
If you want over steer or the rear to drive the corner you'd use power transfer or the LSD to do that rather than brakes 🤔
That doesn't help much either. I don't understand how to brake with the new physics and it's frustrating. Can only brake in a straight line all the way, and only turn when I'm completley off the brakes.

I can't remember the last time I saw a car game or otherwise lock the rear wheels under braking, that would be the most suboptimal thing to engineer in to a car?
All of them except Gran Turismo until GT7 came out with the old physics. Try AC, rf2 or project cars (yes I know). Unless by "car game" you include arcade games like Need for Speed..

R3V
That doesn't help much either. I don't understand how to brake with the new physics and it's frustrating. Can only brake in a straight line all the way, and only turn when I'm completley off the brakes.

That's you, not the game.

What you can't do is mash the brakes and turn at the same time ABS or not.

R3V
All of them except Gran Turismo until GT7 came out with the old physics. Try AC, rf2 or project cars (yes I know). Unless by "car game" you include arcade games like Need for Speed..

That's not true.

Edit:

Go watch the time trial videos for all 3 of the very different cars and you will see them trail braking, braking gently and setting some of the fastest times in the world.

So clearly it is possible and if you slow it down it's possible for us mere morals too.

It's an approach problem not a physics one.

Last edited:
I really dislike what i've seen of this physics change so far. Now the cars are more understeery again and you have to brake like a granny to not wreck the tires? ffs.

I really dislike what i've seen of this physics change so far. Now the cars are more understeery again and you have to brake like a granny to not wreck the tires? ffs.

But the flip side is that oversteer (exit) is more balanced.

I have to brake earlier but I have a larger window to adjust my line and feel like catching minor oversteer is manageable.

Everyone is different but I'm quicker in this update but it's forced me to be smoother than I was to go fast

But the flip side is that oversteer (exit) is more balanced.

I have to brake earlier but I have a larger window to adjust my line and feel like catching minor oversteer is manageable.

Everyone is different but I'm quicker in this update but it's forced me to be smoother than I was to go fast
You could always correct oversteer easily. Now I have a hard time getting rid of the understeer if I ever manage it

There is a saying "smooth is fast" and "fast is smooth"

Nobody is braking like a granny and by the leaderboards they are going faster...obviously the game changes are the problem....🤔

What you can't do is mash the brakes and turn at the same time ABS or not.
When you do that in other sim racers or real life without ABS, you face the wrong way pretty quickly. See for yourself:

I just tried the super formula at the same track on the same corner multiple times with no ABS and maximum rear brake bias. You do not lock the rears.

That's not true.
It is and it's not a matter of opinion.

There are many compromises that have to be done to made the game playable on pad.
Even at the point of sounding harsh I have to say that If you don't play with a wheel you are not able to measure physics in this kind of game.
I don't mean this on bad faith, but it's the way it is.
J I could even say that once you use a wheel AND VR it becomes a different game.
I'm just a B / S Driver on abs weak only and I really enjoy the feeling of driving the cars.

There are many compromises that have to be done to made the game playable on pad.
Even at the point of sounding harsh I have to say that If you don't play with a wheel you are not able to measure physics in this kind of game.
I don't mean this on bad faith, but it's the way it is.
J I could even say that once you use a wheel AND VR it becomes a different game.
I'm just a B / S Driver on abs weak only and I really enjoy the feeling of driving the cars.

While I don’t necessarily disagree, it gets to the point that unless you have a full motion platform, VR and a 20nm wheel…

..We’re all just wannabe’s at best

Back