Newbie stuff...

• Thread starter cleanLX
  • 25 comments
United States
Phoenix Az.
HuddyBob
So, I have been out of the scene for some time.
Been playing GTS here and there for fun, but on tracks I know and love.
Downloaded GT7 earlier today, and getting by ok...
Trying to get through the Sardenga "quest" , and, do not know the track, and of course that is making it rather difficult... ok, impossible.
So, how do you learn a new track?
Back when I used to play a lot, I always played at a friends house, or, vice-versa... whomever was not driving would watch the map and give hints/advice etc., and it made learning a track real easy.
That situation no longer exists, and I am trying to learn some tracks solo...
I turned on the assists for breaking, line, and markers, but... that doesn't seem to teach me, rather guide me, then when they are off.. I totally suck again and have no idea what to do.
I'm thinking turn all that off, and, simply put in the seat time/visual reference points to use.

Any advice?

kjb
drive around the track slowly making mental note
Watch a lap guide on YouTube
Do the circuit experience of the track, you'll learn every corner
Thank you both.
Gave up trying to go fast... and concentrated on not wrecking (to differing degrees of success depending on the lap) and started paying attention for myself.
Turned off all "visual aides" and the ghost was really frigging with me, so shut him off as well.
Watched a guide by DigitRacing... he was in a GT3 car, but, still, was helpful.
Circuit experience... OMG, how did I not think of that... tomorrows mission.
I finally got my "used" 50kmile '01 911 GT3 on sports hard's consistently into the 1:59.7's...
I'm not claiming that's fast, but, I'm not smashing it up several times a lap anymore, so, that's a big improvement.
Thanks again.

A moto you can take with you : "slow in fast out"

Don't overdrive the car, better be a bit too slow entering a corner and hitting the apex than overshooting it.

You can use the yellow markers, they are very convenient to spot the apex and give good hints on where you should place your car for entering and exiting a turn.

@cleanLX you can change the ghost settings to help you out.

On the track you can change the ghost settings to 0.3 or 0.4 sec ahead of you to be able to follow lines and see brake lights for braking points.

You can also swt it to reset at each sector if it is ending up too far away from you later on around the track, this way when you hit swctor 2 the ghost will jump back to 0.3 or 0.4 sec ahead of you to help you learn the rest of the track.

To add to this you can save people's replays to your collection for Circuit Experiences and load them as a ghost instead of using the demo ghost.

One thing I would recommend is to follow the Time Trial Discussion thread on here, there are a lost of fast drivers with great tips, and as mentioned earlier @Tidgney and @Mistah_MCA always post tutorial videos on there for the weekly TTs and their Youtube channels have all kinds of tips.

Oh and welcome to GT7 😁

Thanks all...
Completed the Sardenga stuff, and, now, have no idea how to make Menu-Book 7 activate.
I can open the menu in the Cafe... bla bla bla, but I have no gold icons to go to, and cannot progress.
Do I need to complete my International license? I see it is an option to complete now... but, cannot figure out how to unlock the menu 7 races.

@cleanLX you can change the ghost settings to help you out.
Most interesting, will have to look into it... it was my own ghost that was frigging me up... seems I'm not so good at driving a car inside another car :).

have no idea how to make Menu-Book 7 activate.
I can open the menu in the Cafe... bla bla bla, but I have no gold icons to go to, and cannot progress.
If you started the menu book, and see no compass, then something is wrong.

It is a known issue.

Go into the time trial mode for the given track you want to get familiar with, pick a car that's "easy" in terms of handling, and do a bunch of laps trying to go a little faster each time around and paying attention to specific corners that give you trouble to focus on next time around...

If you started the menu book, and see no compass, then something is wrong.

It is a known issue.
Hmmm.
Have you clicked to start the Menu Book?
Yes, I could read all the messages in the menu, click in the hints, but no "compass" was showing on world circuits, and the tracks noted in the menu, had no compass, nor a race for hot hatchs loaded.

Shut the game off last night, this morning, there is a compass on world circuits, and each of the tracks has a compass... assuming the event loaded... more later, need coffee.

Yes, I could read all the messages in the menu, click in the hints, but no "compass" was showing on world circuits, and the tracks noted in the menu, had no compass, nor a race for hot hatchs loaded.
All of that is possible if you haven't actually clicked on the "Start" button in the Menu Book.

Most interesting, will have to look into it... it was my own ghost that was frigging me up... seems I'm not so good at driving a car inside another car :).
As someone else mentioned, hood (or actually roof) cam is good for when a ghost is on as you can see more of the track over and around it.

Personally I use bumper cam, I used to use 'hood' cam for most games for visibility especially in racing and drifting but found that I'm much quicker at weekly TTs on bumper cam.

A moto you can take with you : "slow in fast out"

Don't overdrive the car, better be a bit too slow entering a corner and hitting the apex than overshooting it.
Great advice, and used to be my formula when I played regularly... guess I had forgotten.
I was also struggling with not really being "into" any of the cars I had been gifted, let alone the cheapie I bought to start the game, so, when I saw that50k mile '01 911 GT3 in the used car lot I said, there, now I could enjoy learning a track with that.
Unfortunately I had still not remember the "slow in fast out" approach and proceed to smash the heck out of that thing for a few laps, then saw how much the chassis refresh costs, and "light bulb"... how about actually complete a lap, then work on lines/speed.

Oh the 911 is bumble-bee yellow... looking forward to unlocking the paint shop :).
ETA - google says it's open to me now.

I'm much quicker at weekly TTs on bumper cam
Me too, thank you for sharing... the Ghost just tends to be a rabbit, making me the greyhound... then I overdrive my abilities and wreck. :).

Last edited:
Not sure the damage you cause while driving has an impact on the car. I think that it is only the distance driven that will deteriorate oil, motor and chassis with time.

Last edited:
Quickest way to build up your owned car list and money is the license tests,concentrate on them first to get some cars, then the circuit experiences for a lot of quick cash

As someone else mentioned, hood (or actually roof) cam is good for when a ghost is on as you can see more of the track over and around it.

Personally I use bumper cam, I used to use 'hood' cam for most games for visibility especially in racing and drifting but found that I'm much quicker at weekly TTs on bumper cam.
I'm convinced GT is still designed and optimized for the "classic" Gran Turismo bumper cam view. It's just the view that offers basically the best of everything afaic...situational awareness, hud, mirror, smoothest framerate. Sometimes I even think the force feedback is better in bumper cam. I love cockpit cams in racing games in general but in GT if I'm doing any "critical" driving its in bumper cam.

Ok, decided it was time to dial in the transmission gear ratio's on my little 911... what in the ever loving heck have they done to trans ratios!! ?
Off to You Tube.

Why would anyone want to have a ghost that close 🤷‍♂️

Just use the offset and make sure it's enough in front so you are constantly chasing/following it.

You can then see the lines it took, it's brake lights and where you are catching it or dropping away from it.

Why would anyone want to have a ghost that close 🤷‍♂️

Just use the offset and make sure it's enough in front so you are constantly chasing/following it.

You can then see the lines it took, it's brake lights and where you are catching it or dropping away from it.
That was what I mentioned in post #6

Some cars bumper cams are so low that the hood/roof cam gives a better view even at 0.4 offset, it also depends how quick you catch up to the ghost too because if you catch it then it gets in the way.

I just mapped the up button to turn the ghost off when I get too close to it.

You can check the thread "Praiano's tunes" here : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/praianos-tunes-settings-for-gt7.404868/

You'll find plenty of good and reliables tunes for many cars.
Thanks for the link. Looks like he's been very busy.
Tuning is some I typically understand and am good at(?)... In GTS I tried some of his tunes and they were really, really, close... guessing we have different driving styles...
The "slider" on the trans tuning, is what I do not recall it's effect on gearing spreads...

having said all that, I see his tune for;
Porsche 911 GT3 (996) '01- 600PP - Sport Hard tires - All Track / Tokyo - 1.32

Might copy that and see where is gets me.

Thanks again.

Back