Obelisk's Garage - Daihatsu Midget II, Mazda MX5 (NC2), racing mower

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 151 comments
A little more work done to the Midge today:

I got a new bolt to replace the absent wing nut that's supposed to be for keeping the seat closed.
20240928_135359.jpg

And a chance encounter with a gentleman who knew exactly what this car was resulted in him suggesting that I use aluminum/foil tape for the left hand bed panel - the previous epoxy and superglue fix partly failed and the bottom of the panel separated again.

20240928_140656.jpg

It's... still a little obvious even with the touchup paint applied, but it's better than the blatantly visible crack that was there previously. With the top panel back on:

20240928_141810.jpg

Once I have a bit more wiggle room (AKA i can afford the international shipping), I'm going to order a replacement panel for that side.

It's become readily apparent to me that I'm going to be putting a substantial amount of miles on the Midget in the near future, between recreational driving, errands and travel to and from car shows...

So I put in an order for M6 lifting eye bolts for the bed earlier today. I need a place to properly hook my bungee cords, so I can strap down cargo.

Now, I'm just planning ahead more than anything, but I do want some thoughts from you folks:

The Midget's got four symmetrical pairs of bolts along the sides of the bed that thread into the body (which secure the fenders and bed panels), but I'm not sure which pairs I want to swap for the eye bolts.

Using an older photo already shared in here, marked for visual convenience:
20240928_140656~2.jpg

I was thinking of doing the #1 and #3 pairs (4 eye bolts all in) but I'll have enough to do all eight bolts if need be once the order arrives.

Latest Posts

Back