Oculus Rift Virtual Reality and GT6

• Thread starter teo72
  • 49 comments
Using Oculus Rift VR headset, the player will experience as if he really is in the car when racing. Free to look around the car while driving, with Oculus Rift tracking the players every move. The new playstation eye 2 can track the player in regard to steering wheel position. So when the player reach out. He sees his virtual hands move in game to, with the real position of the steering wheel and gearchanger matched ingame to further the realism. So when the player grabs hold of the wheel ingame, he/she will not miss in reality.

Just youtube oculus rift and you will see how awsome this tech is. I hope this tech can be applied in gt6, Or whatever the next ps4 gran turismo will be called. What do you guys think?

I'm not too crazy about virtual reality. I'd rather just leave the game as it is right now as a normal video game. Nothing more. It'd just be a useless feature for the people that can't afford steering wheels.

I think Oculus Rift (OR) will make it easier to immerse yourself in the game and give you a much better and intuitive view from inside the car. With OR you would ONLY control the drivers head... NOT the car (That's what we have steeringwheels for...)

I Youtubed Oculus Rift, and every vid I saw, every person who tested OR came away very impressed. So I personally think this VR has what it takes. Very interested to test the OR set for myself.

Imagine your entire Field of view when using Oculus Rift would in this case be GT6, as if you were really driving the car. With OR tracking your every head move. When visiting your garage, you could maybe walk among you cars, studying them in detail as you would when at a car show (instead of a stupid list, that is so 2010) I do not know about you guys, but I am optimistic about the Rift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Plus as someone who a) wears glasses and b) already has issues with motion sickness when playing certain games I highly doubt I'd personally enjoy it.

Teo I'm not sure if someone already told you this, but please try not to double post. Wait for someone to reply then make your next post. Welcome to GTPlanet. :gtpflag:

Sorry for double posting

I wear glasses to. Several testers (gaming journalists) had glasses to, and none of them had an issue with motionsickness. At least in the vids I saw on youtube

The edit button is your friend You should try it. :)

I still feel having to attach technology to your body is..awkward. Probably why it doesn't sell too well.

For me, playing GT5 with in-car-view on a 40 inch tv from about 2 meters away (6-8 feet) in 2D is not that great of an experience. Normal 3d-tvs with active 3d glasses give me a headache. Sonys 3d head display with on 720p screen for each eye was the first time 3d was done proper IMO, although that thing was a bit uncomfortable. Oculus Rift seems to be better in this regard.

I wear glasses to. Several testers (gaming journalists) had glasses to, and none of them had an issue with motionsickness. At least in the vids I saw on youtube

I wasn't linking glasses to the motion sickness, it's just something I get when playing a lot of games in a 3D world with a strong camera movement. I can only imagine it will be worse for me with something like this. It's apparently because your eyes detect motion but the part of the ear that detects motion doesn't, so your brain get's confused. So yeah, can't see this working too well for me.

I understand your hesitation, but VR in games could be amazing if done correctly. Which is why I am so positive to the Oculus Rift. If they can make the retail edition low weight, comfortable, low latency and low price, with a bit higher resolution. Then I will definetly be interested in buying one. Particularly if GT on PS4 supports it.

I wasn't linking glasses to the motion sickness, it's just something I get when playing a lot of games in a 3D world with a strong camera movement. I can only imagine it will be worse for me with something like this. It's apparently because your eyes detect motion but the part of the ear that detects motion doesn't, so your brain get's confused. So yeah, can't see this working too well for me.

Are you not forgetting something. With 3dtv you move arould your game while you sit still, With Oculus Rift, you have to move your head to look around. Ergo motion sickness should not affect you that much. Although people report that it feels weird, they still categorically deny motionsickness in all vids I saw.

And another thing. Unless you get motionsickness when driving or taking a ride in a car, Oculus Rift should pose no such problem. You move your head, the information the brain gets from inner ear and eyes sync up and as a result your brain does not get confused.

Still a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Plus as someone who a) wears glasses and b) already has issues with motion sickness when playing certain games I highly doubt I'd personally enjoy it.

That's a bit like saying shoes are a gimmick because you're a double amputee...

Motion sickness will be a problem for most people, but it is for most people put on a boat for the first time. What's interesting is that with the Rift, it subsides for most of those initially affected after a short while of queasiness whilst they adjusted, and never returns - also true with mild "seasickness", generally. Glasses aren't an issue either (unless they're huge, I guess), possibly partly because a lot of the devs involved are ocularly challenged, too.

It's nice that you project your personal inability to enjoy a certain thing that you haven't tried onto the thing itself, though; it's a gimmick because you maybe won't be able to enjoy it? Yeah, because they were making it for you specifically - how could they not know you have inner ear / brain problems?! :P
The Rift already has very real value for those that are looking for what it offers, and is therefore not a gimmick, especially if you're implying a will to deceive / extort on Oculus' part, as the word originally meant.

There is at least one very real issue, that still has potential to be resolved before they finalise the hardware etc., and that's not being able to see the real world without taking it off... Might break the immersion if you reach for a control that isn't where you think you left it and have to peek under the goggles. That sort of thing, perhaps as a form of augmented reality, might have to wait for a second iteration.

There is at least one very real issue, that still has potential to be resolved before they finalise the hardware etc., and that's not being able to see the real world without taking it off... Might break the immersion if you reach for a control that isn't where you think you left it and have to peek under the goggles. That sort of thing, perhaps as a form of augmented reality, might have to wait for a second iteration.

This is why Oculus Rift in GT6 on Ps4 only makes sense if the stereoscopic playstation eye 2 is used at the same time. The 3d cameras can "see" where you are in relation to the controller/wheel, and the game can then position in-game assets accordingly.

One potential problem I see is if you place the wheel and gearshifter on a table like I do, then that will not look as it would in a real car. A solution could be that the shifter in-game is exchanged with a modified rally style one. Maybe if PD made you "buy" in-game modified shifter to allow access to Oculus Rift Play...

That's a bit like saying shoes are a gimmick because you're a double amputee.../snip

I probably didn't word it very well but me thinking it's a gimmick and thinking I will probably have health issues with it were two separate points. I don't think it's a gimmick because of that, I think it's a gimmick for the same reason I think all previous attempts at VR headsets are a gimmick.

I'd certainly be willing to try it out but I don't see this as the future of gaming as some people are hailing it.

teo72
Mark my words. Oculus Rift is the next BIG thing in gaming. $300 price range. This will be the first successful VR ever IMO.

Doubt it.

There are problems with playing games with goggles glued over your face. Regardless of initial impressions of "Wow, that's cool", people eventually get over the initial wow factor and have to deal with other aspects of using such systems.

A big problem for people seems to be, for lack of a better description, the detachment from the world around them. Your actual body remains in the real world but your mind is separated from in it a virtual world, almost like some out-of-body experience, with your body helpless. It's also a terribly anti-social experience, wherewith you ignore any and all people physically present while you escape into a fake world from which you can't see them and pay no attention to them. When playing current games, even if you are fully engrossed in a game, you can hardly help but have at least some awareness of the world around you.

Back in 2001 when my wife and I started dating, I would play a game and she would watch. It was limited involvement, but she was still able to at least follow along with what I was doing. Sometimes she would play and I would watch and perhaps give suggestions when she struggled. We could never do this if I planted VR goggles over my face. In those demo videos they depicted what was in the goggles on a monitor, but nobody wants to see those images like that and my wife would still feel like I left her behind if I buried my face in one of those headsets.

I agree that it seems like a solitary experience. Unless you can plug in several of those Oculus Rifts at once. Then your wife could be a passenger while you drive, or the other way around. Expensive I know, but at least it is not a solitary experience any more. Just a thought...

Of course it looked wierd on the monitor in those vids. It was a demo. It does not mean it have to look like that on the tv/projector in real games. It could look like it normally would on the tv while you experienced VR in the Rift.

I probably didn't word it very well but me thinking it's a gimmick and thinking I will probably have health issues with it were two separate points. I don't think it's a gimmick because of that, I think it's a gimmick for the same reason I think all previous attempts at VR headsets are a gimmick.

I'd certainly be willing to try it out but I don't see this as the future of gaming as some people are hailing it.

Oh, OK, but why are VR headsets in general gimmicks? Genuinely curious. If it's because all the others were effectively crap and sometimes born of cynicism, I might agree. Although the lack of functionality was only really a problem because the technology wasn't there then - the cynicism will return if Rift is a success, of course. It definitely is a component of the future of gaming, but I don't think anyone believes it will displace all other forms of interaction. The fact that Valve has taken an interest in it after dedicating a lot of time into its own "wearable computing" research and that it converted and effectively captured the previous VR hopeful-but-sceptic John Carmack (who's experimented with every generation of VR tech himself) might say something, too. Ultimately, the "future" is messing with neurons directly, but until then...

Things like high density, high clarity displays are a good start (although the devkits are not there yet themselves, the right panels, in terms of spec, not tech, don't exist yet), and the biggest improvement over previous attempts is the reduction in latency and increase in accuracy of position and acceleration, which, in combination with the displays, is probably largely thanks to the boom in hand-held mobile computers. The general increase in pixel pumping power in the last 20 years means the optics can easily be pre-corrected in the pictures sent to the displays, so you don't have to live with lens distortion any more, either. It's also not as bulky nor as heavy as previous attempts (the devkits are larger than the final items will be), because of smaller manufacturing processes and reduced power requirements.

But the proof of the pudding, of course, is in the scoffing. I can't wait to be able to try it myself, no longer having room for multiple monitors and, having tried headtracking as a replacement, I might as well see if I can take that a step further.

Demo vids will look "weird" because your monitor / phone / TV / whatever doesn't move with your head like the Rift does, and your head is probably stationary anyway. It's the visual correspondence to what your inner ear is feeling that is what's (apparently) so convincing, and why the latency was so important - you won't get that watching a video of it!

Sorry for double posting

Oh, the irony. You apologise for double posting, then immediately go and make another double post, then continue to double post throughout the thread.

A double post, is one post by you, followed by another post by you. If you wish to add something and no one else has posted in the meantime, use the edit button.

Check out these links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZhYp3CbmY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jENVk1N1Stg

Mark my words. Oculus Rift is the next BIG thing in gaming. $300 price range. This will be the first successful VR ever IMO.

1.- It won't work nearly as good as you think it will. Tech data is out there.
2.- A peripheral of that price is never going to be a mainstream product (considering inflation, if someone reads this in 100 years)

The simracing scene is a pretty good example of the latter. 3d technology that actually works, with 3 screens, 120hz and everything else is long available, but no one uses it (not more than 10k people). Same goes to motion, rumble, separate small screens, etc., even button boxes considering how cheap they are.

Using Oculus Rift VR headset, the player will experience as if he really is in the car when racing. Free to look around the car while driving, with Oculus Rift tracking the players every move. The new playstation eye 2 can track the player in regard to steering wheel position. So when the player reach out. He sees his virtual hands move in game to, with the real position of the steering wheel and gearchanger matched ingame to further the realism. So when the player grabs hold of the wheel ingame, he/she will not miss in reality.

Just youtube oculus rift and you will see how awsome this tech is. I hope this tech can be applied in gt6, Or whatever the next ps4 gran turismo will be called. What do you guys think?

Do you get commission for posting this thread?

IiIiIiIIIIIII like it!

Imagine playing "Beyond: Two Souls" with that, am I right? By that I mean, anything that plays like a cinematic experience will be awesome. And I thought Jackass 3D looked great :). I really only want a 3D tv for gaming (at the moment), so this would be a superb alternative.

I think Oculus Rift would be cool for games where you sit still in a moving object. Driving games, Flying games etc.

Not sure about other games though, where you move around. Time will tell I guess.

It will much cheaper than going for a 3 screen set up, & more immersive. If it works well for GT6 I'd love to have one. :D

I'm very excited for the Oculus Rift. I think simulators are the perfect application for the Rift as well, since you expect your body to remain fixed, with your hands on the controls, only able to look around by moving your head. I hope many future simulators include support for the Rift and any other head tracking VR headsets that might compete with it. I like my simulators, I like being immersed in games, and I love the idea of being able to look around my car/plane/mech cabin without having to thumb a hat switch, all while enjoying a greater FOV and the depth perception granted by 3D.

I would buy two of these things if I could! I play gt5 on a 65 inch rear projection I got off Craigslist for $200 bucks and I still find myself accidentally looking at my daughters screen when we race together!

On top of that, I can't successfully hold a conversation and do well in a race anyway. So being completely immersed in the game is no issue for me, and $300 bucks will be a lot less than I'll be spending when I finally do get a real hi def flat screen.

And another thing, for $300 bucks (or so) your whole field of vision is encompassed! You wouldn't get that with a home theatre screen!

To actually feel what it's like to go over 300 mph in an x2011 (my daughter and I rolled the thing going through the 1st turn on the test track SEVERAL TIMES! Quite funny to see.)

Sign me up!

Last edited:
I experienced the Oculus Rift for the first time last weekend. I was only shown a couple of basic walk-around demos, and even at low-res ps2 graphics -it is nothing short of amazing.

I know that PD has a hard time keeping their fingers on the pulse of this industry, but I am REALLY hoping that someone in that "studio in the clouds" has gotten wind of this thing. It is an absolutely perfect device to replace expensive TV's and multi-screen setups for sim-racing.

Heck, even without the motion-tracking look-around capability activated, this would still be better than any multi-screen setup, by a ridiculous margin.

There exists an issue where some people, after prolonged use, experience pounding headaches due to the Rift being so darn immersive that is messes up your inner circuitry, so this must be looked at more closely. Hopefully some solutions are found soon.

Another (albeit not important for most) issue that will come up is for guys with motion-rigs. Any sim that wants to take advantage of motion-rig action combined with Oculus Rift look-around will have to program a counter-acting sequence between the two objects, otherwise you will be "looking" all over the place wildly as your chair is thrown around in all directions. I'm sure this would not be too hard- maybe add a gyro/accelerometer to the rig, and simply use this data to counter the movements relative to the ground.

Either way, it's on. I can't wait to see how this develops. Even if PD does not choose to program Rift head-tracking tech- we can all still use this for it's incredible Field Of View. Social life! Consider yourself warned!

Last edited:
I just saw this thing on YouTube today and yes if well executed could provide a much more immersive experience. Imagine: driving wheel,nurburgring24h rain/night plus what rift could potentially offer "priceless for everything else there's MasterCard"lol but in all seriousness I may never experience many of my dream cars "in the flesh "but that would be pretty darn close to it .
This tech is dedinately worth looking into

Back