Oculus Rift Virtual Reality and GT6

• Thread starter teo72
  • 49 comments
I guess it's terrible for shooters, I don't want to sit on an office chair and spin around like crazy. That would make me feel sick most likely.

Probably I'm wrong and the system doesn't even work like this. Whatever...

oculus has already stated they have no intention of developing for consoles until the technology is refined.

^it's not really up to Oculus. The Rift exists. It's up to Polyphony to bring it into our GT experience. If the consumer unit (slated to arrive next year) gets HD-like resolution, we will be screaming for this thing.

Not sure I'd how much I'd used it. Of course I would be into it at first but, like everything the novelty would where off and it would be all about the driving!! Of course I must admit I to like personalizing my cars especially once you've completed the game and have all the cars and duplicates. I may find a reason to have a race version, a drifter, a drag car, and a street cruiser.

If there is a livery editor I would hope that it is vast, intuitive, and has a library of options that won't soon disappoint the user.

Last edited:
I am wondering what kind of research they've done regarding eye damage after a year or 5 years of using it.

I am wondering what kind of research they've done regarding eye damage after a year or 5 years of using it.

I'm sure they'll be testing it thoroughly. The best part is that the optics mean your eye is fairly relaxed whilst you use it, as it brings the focal point right out to the distance. What effect that has on the brain, though, I don't know.

There might be issues with the weight and pressure on your head, too.

^it's not really up to Oculus. The Rift exists. It's up to Polyphony to bring it into our GT experience. If the consumer unit (slated to arrive next year) gets HD-like resolution, we will be screaming for this thing.

oculus would still have to make things like drivers for the hardware to work with a console. It's a bit more complicated than a tv screen.

head-tracking combined with VR has potential to make racing games great, as you can turn your head and see the visual impact on the screen. Especially great for drifting, so you can see where you're going while really sideways. Even for circuit racing, the ability to look into a corner makes it much easier to hit apexes and gauge where to turn in. The people who will pay $3-500 for a steering wheel setup (and the thousand(s)? on a triple-screen setup) would be the target audience for a feature like this, which is still a rather narrow scope of GT's customer base. Maybe someday, but GT6 definitely won't be it. When GT7 rolls around, it'll depend on Oculus being ready to come to consoles.

I don't see Rift coming to consoles. Its a hardware issue. Rift says it plans to have two 1080p displays, one for each eye. Ps4 does not have enough gpu to drive two separate displays, end of story. Sony's VR headset has one 1080p display.

No oculus for ps4 Sony has their own product it will not support it over its own device end of story , that's the nail in the coffin for oculus rift playstation support

People say that 3D gaming has been a fail, I think that is probably at least in part due to the ridiculous glasses that active shutter needed. If it had been passive from the start (simple sunglsses type) it would have done better. I personally see a bit of the same issue with this. It's really impressive but most will get sick of having a bulky uncomfortable heavy contraption strapped to their face.

No oculus for ps4 Sony has their own product it will not support it over its own device end of story , that's the nail in the coffin for oculus rift playstation support
Not necessarily. Individual developers may still opt to scan the USB for relevant IDs and attempt to communicate with it, much the same as the PS4's peripheral support (in terms of driving wheels) is now application dependent.

If Sony try to prevent developers from supporting the Rift off their own backs, I don't know that that would be sensible.

Don't be so sure. The story I read yesterday suggests that Sony and the Oculus developer are in some kind of closed door negotiations. There was no indication what it was about, but it's not hard to make a fairly good guess. The Oculus guys have been doing all the "beta testing" so to speak, they probably know what works best with the tech so far on the user end. While Sony wants the tech in their fan's hands (or on their heads I suppose), and they have the money, the user base and not to mention better designers and most importantly for the Oculus guys I imagine is Sony's hardware resourses for getting the displays and pieces at a good price and of course mass production ability.

I think in the end, we're going to end up with a unified tech format. The Sony Oculus, or Playstation Rift.......something like that.

My personal feelings on the tech are fairly possitive after some hands-on time with Oculus. It's ability to fool your brain is pretty amazing. I got physical reactions out of it like many others. Leaning into the corners and getting the "stomach drop" feeling when being dropped or falling. It's amazing, though admitedly a little too intense for me for some games. I couldn't handle a couple of the horror games. I had to take off the unit. It was too real, I honestly got upset. I would LOVE to try a racing game though, or a FPS with like....the Move gun or something.

For immersion this tech kinda is the future, more than a gimmick. It's the closest we're gonna get to real fantasy immersion until we finally master holograms and holographs (which I think we already have, but it's not public technology yet, it's still deep black) at which point we can invent Holodecks. The only breaking of the immersion once we have VR headsets is the walking and moving part. Though on youtube, there is a guy who does VR videos using an Oculus Rift, what looks like PS Move and he has some giant trackball/trackpad device that he stands in and he actually walks around in games like Skyrim. He is 100% fully immersed in the games he's playing and it is AMAZING. The problem is the COST. OMG how much must that trackpad dealie cost?! I don't think I could ever see that being what I'd call affordable.

But.......one step at a time. And this technology is one huge step so long as it's affordable once it comes to market (200 USD, maybe 300 tops) and is user friendly to set up and use. My only real negative thoughts on Oculus and Sony's version is the size. These things are pretty massive. It would have far more mass appeal if it were more like a big pair of sun glasses that seal to your head with an external, strap-on battery pack. I'd prefer to not have that giant thing on my head. But, even with the current Sony design, I'd buy it, just to have and support the technology.

One other negative I guess would be that the only games that are really going to take advantage of the tech are game played from the first person perspective. Anything else just seems like it would be weird.

I doubt that there will be a homogenising of hardware, but it is a very good idea to homogenise the features on the code side of things (i.e. rendering tweaks, tracking interfaces etc.) using some sort of shared API, perhaps, whilst leaving open the possibility of bypassing that if developers need to. That way developers aren't having to test and debug and keep on top of two or three or more different code branches just to cater for a few headsets - that's a barrier to entry for any game not being sold on PS4 only.

The part about sharing experience in getting the VR "result" believeable is also sensible, as it'll allow the VR experience to be consistent from hardware to hardware (excluding hardware differences, which will be useful in attracting a larger user base to the tech overall) and result in a better "advert" for the tech itself. Oculus have done remarkable things with eliminating motion sickness, for instance. I wasn't expecting that to be possible (I'm sure there's still the odd individual who will be affected, game-dependent).

I don't know about third person games, either, I'm not sure if it's been tried by many. The point of the third person perspective is literally to be the "third person", so I'm sure it'll help players be immersed in that "situation" better, as a story telling device if nothing else.

Interesting technology. Package it with a Darth Vader vocoder and it would be great for Star Wars games.

I'd be heaps more excited for x-ray glasses though.

Oculus rift will be awesome no doubt.
Sony morpheus will be awesome too..

The only problem i have is the 90 to 110 degree viewing angle.
And so....It wont compare to a multiscreen setup, which is the ultimate!

Back