Offline Physics / Online Physics

• Thread starter bolloman
  • 45 comments
You and me both bud. 👍 I'm going to assume that the physics will indeed be similar to each other from both offline and online.

Oh, and welcome to :gtpflag: :)

I can predict they're going to be "different" this time as well.

Online mode will probably give a chance to make a game more "hardcore" with variable surface grip, tire wear, fuel depletion, weak slipstream, etc.

All of that are hardly to occur in the offline modes due to playability reasons. But I also think that margin will be very small, as it was drastically leveled by GT5 updates and changes in physics.

We have to wait and see.

BTW Toko, props to your signature 👍

Polyphony set a dangerous precedent in GT5 by constantly changing the feel/physics throughout the games lifespan.

What we get initially (in GT6) is one thing, however, whether that remains constant and consistent throughout the lifespan of the game also has to be considered.

The only people who know the answer to this are Polyphony, and considering how poor their communication (about this) was on GT5, it's unrealistic to expect quality and accurate information from them this time.

Unless, by some miracle, someone at Polyphony realised how important this was as and has made the necessary changes to implement this line/level of communication.

BF4 and GTA have both had/having serious online issues - don't hold your breath that GT6 will be fine from day 1.

The other factor is the PS3 / PS4 scenario - after all the problems with GT5 (especially online), are we supposed to believe everything will run smoothly with users (in same race) using different consoles....

These potential pitfalls have to be considered, as again, Polyphony set a dangerous precedent in GT5 by fixing one issue, only to cause a whole new one.

I'm not going to judge GT6 on release, give it 3-6 months and then see how it is. Hopefully, after this time, they'll have something stable and consistent in terms of both gameplay (feel/physics) and connection.

We just have to see what happens when the game is released and then how it's developed, as this seems to be the norm with video games at the moment.

Considering the fact that you can do time trials in an online lobby, Im pretty certain anyway, that the physics should remain the same for both modes. That TT in online mode is a beauty in disguise.

I can predict they're going to be "different" this time as well.

Online mode will probably give a chance to make a game more "hardcore" with variable surface grip, tire wear, fuel depletion, weak slipstream, etc.

All of that are hardly to occur in the offline modes due to playability reasons. But I also think that margin will be very small, as it was drastically leveled by GT5 updates and changes in physics.

We have to wait and see.

BTW Toko, props to your signature 👍
Spot on I believe. The aforementioned "hardcore mode" was only mentioned once IIRC with no explaination as to how it's going to work so it's the monkey wrench in the gears at this point. For those that don't know, the online/offline physics difference was patched in GT5 a long time ago to be almost identical, or close enough that it doesn't matter anymore.

@bolloman
I hope we don't go through that again. Early in GT5 (and for quite a time after), teaching a friend to drive formula cars by going online was horrible (@ HSR). Not to mention the lengthy amount of time spent troubleshooting without resolution.

Thank you for wasting my time by not informing the public PD :mad: (think about all of the arguments at GTP that could have been avoided).

Remember next time to beat a pellow to let it all out, haha. :)

Nooooooooo! :banghead: Freud was wrong. Catharsis increases violent feelings (example in prior sentence and also prior paragraph :guilty:).

Make a list of 10 things that you absolutely hate about GT, and you'll see what I mean. :lol:

Polyphony set a dangerous precedent in GT5 by constantly changing the feel/physics throughout the games lifespan..

I don't understand your position, but I highly welcome improvements in physics, tire simulation, aerodynamic simulation and all other aspects of actual driving we got through updates of GT5.

I want my driving experience to be enhanced if possible and constant evolution of physics we got during GT5 lifetime was something rare and beautiful.

It is a great example of use when both game and platform are connected to internet and all players are getting the same updates during game's life. I wholeheartedly welcome the same praxis in the future and would love to see all games (even in other genres) follow the same praxis.

Keeping the fundamental updates - and physics is the fundament of driving simulation - for some future games, while you have them available for updating during game's lifetime would be wrong.

I love physics updates and I hope we will witness them very often in GT6.

I don't understand your position, but I highly welcome improvements in physics, tire simulation, aerodynamic simulation and all other aspects of actual driving we got through updates of GT5.

I want my driving experience to be enhanced if possible and constant evolution of physics we got during GT5 lifetime was something rare and beautiful.

It is a great example of use when both game and platform are connected to internet and all players are getting the same updates during game's life. I wholeheartedly welcome the same praxis in the future and would love to see all games (even in other genres) follow the same praxis.

Keeping the fundamental updates - and physics is the fundament of driving simulation - for some future games, while you have them available for updating during game's lifetime would be wrong.

I believe one response will be about the constant altering of tunes and hours spent redoing them. Due to that, I'd say it's a valid excuse to not want constant physics updates (but I'm not in that group). ONLY because I'm not a serious racer though. I really prefer to go at my own pace, so the many physics updates that we received in GT5 were awesome from my POV.

I'm hoping that there will be no difference at all this time.

I don't really understand this standpoint. You are entitled to wish for whatever you like of course but to me it seems too whimsical an approach to something so fundamental to the experience. Every time we go out and drive in a real world scenario, whether it be commuting, scratching, track days or real racing, we can rely on gravity, frictional coefficients, drag coefficients, and the law of conservation of momentum to remain constant. Although this point has been laboured through and through, Gran Turismo does aspire to be 'The Real Driving Simulator' and, whether you accept that premise or not, we still expect a level of realism. While I would, to a certain degree, not be too opposed to the occasional tweak, such as tyre slip angles, wear rates or such like, physics updates such as we have witnessed in GT5 would be largely unwelcome I think.

...and here's hoping that on and offline physics are identical.

I can see the advantages to both sides. On one hand, PD working to further improve their simulation is a good sign; they want to improve, they want to give us a product of increasing value. That's definitely a good thing for the consumer 👍

On the other; it utterly tosses a spanner into tuners' gears (heh) by constantly fiddling with the physics, especially without documenting all the changes, as PD did in GT5. A setup for a car done during the early days can act completely different a year on, which is frustrating to no end. It also raises the question of how confident PD really is with the shipped product if they need to endlessly tweak the physics. There's certainly something to be said for consistency; which admittedly is hardly an overriding theme in GT5 to begin with.

As for the topic at hand; there's absolutely no reason for offline and online to have different physics. I certainly hope it won't be the case with GT6.

I completely agree. I can see why some people find it tedious to have to alter their setups because of changes to the game, but I would much rather have a game which constantly strives to have the most realistic physics possible on the PS3, instead of predictable physics which never improve.

(And yes I do know that 'real world physics' doesn't change, but since we know GT6 won't be like reality, why not let them try to get closer to that goal through updates?)

I don't play the game to necessarily 'exploit' the games' limits in order to be the fastest, but to experience a great driving/racing simulator 👍

Oh, and on topic - of course the basic physics off- and online have to be the same from the get-go!

Most racing games I play have different physics online.Mostly due to lag, but still, it feels different.I'm not a big tuner, I usually come on here or get tunes from friends, so i'm all for improving the physics over time.But they should alter the PP limits in races this time around when or if they alter the physics.Was a headache in gt5.

VBR
I'm hoping that there will be no difference at all this time.

Me too. The difference between the online and the offline physics is what kept me away from playing online... it was very frustrating...

The physics should be the same. When an update to online physics is applied, the offline portion should change too. The fact that we even have to ask for this is frustrating.

For the most part online physics felt like the car was wearing tyres a grade or two lower than they should have been. My biggest hate was when the physics changed between free run/qualifying and the race. Set up a car beautifully for a given track, only for it to become an understeering monster 30 seconds later when it matters. PD did seem to mostly fix this after version 2.05? but I hope that it doesn't rear it's head again for 6

Back