Ooh Barracuda - The End of 'Christine' R.I.P

• Thread starter Barracuda
  • 386 comments
welcome to the junk-le! I haven't had cars that bad since my Toyotas (some ass bashed in the tailights on my camry with a baseball bat before I even finished paying for it).

i want it officially recorded: THIS is what Europe sends us!

I guess I can't be too mad at it, it did survive the wrath of rednecks, but I can't help but notice that most of the 240, 740, and 940 range develop all the same problems on the Volvo forums. There's more threads about idling problems on all of the different forums I've been on that I could shake a stick at.

My current plan of action, albeit a bit of a pipe dream, is to get the Volvo into tip top shape and the Barracuda back on the road. If I somehow found a job what I plan on doing is going down to the junkyard and buying all the interior and exterior bits I need to replace, the different style chrome grill, old nova style (or at least I think that's what they're called) Volvo rims, get it running nice, get the body and paint looking spotless (My dad works at a technical college and they'd do all that for just the cost of paint and bondo), then try to find some sucker like me who really likes it and is willing to pay more for a turbo.

That would also mean I'd have to do some work to the Barracuda as well, but all in all it shouldn't be too ridiculous to get her at least running well. Currently before I'd feel safe putting her back on I need to get a new master cylinder, and I'd like to, if possible, get another engine and a nice engine stand for the 273. It sounds ridiculous but I've seen a perfectly running 318 with a choice of either a 904 or 727 transmission for $400. That doesn't count the fact that I need all the tires balanced, the driveshaft balanced, the cylinders in the front shoes are going (or something is, I can't seem to figure it out), the rear brakes aren't getting any fluid, and all of the joints in the front suspension need to eventually be replaced, but looking at it it's a lot less than the million things that could potentially go wrong with the 740.

I might be going a little hard on the Volvo, it is 22 years old, but for something that I figured would be a nice daily driver is really starting to become a thorn in my side. I need to stop living in 2001 land and thinking that 80s and 90s cars aren't really that old.

Unfortunately I'm right there with you with the Oldsmobrick. I got rid of the Scoupe because it was nickeling and diming me to death. So I figured by getting a slightly older domestic would serve me better. Turns out everyone hates the problem-addled but brilliantly powerful Quad 4. 👎 I also need to emerge from the early 2000's.

Meanwhile, hoping the Cuda will serve you well and [eventually] reflect what you put into it.

Cheers,
Jetboy

hey, I didn't get out of the early ninties! and now there's nothing left up here to buy that isn't only 3 years old.

Diablo: we have a modern 318 sitting up here. it needs rebuilt, but...

*snapping plastic and odd idling*

All sounds very familiar. There's bits of broken plastic all over the place in my 940. The inside boot trim is held on by two of the 12 or so original little plastic connecting thingies, and one of those isn't the same shape it started life in. On the upside, next time you have to get into places you've already been, there's nothing more to break :)

i want it officially recorded: THIS is what Europe sends us!

It's what Europe sends Europe, too.

Since I last posted I've done... well, absolutely nothing really. It rained hard and the other taillight bulb blew, the open blinker has been giving me problems here and there, and the engine doesn't quite like the fact that I still haven't replaced the fuel pumps and cleaned the PCV, but overall nothing major has been happening.

I do, however, have some plans that may come into fruition sometime during the next few weeks. I was lucky enough to find a second gen 8gb ipod nano lying on the ground while on a bike ride, so I'm hoping to get $80-90 for it sometime soon. If and when I get the money I will hopefully be grabbing the following at the junkyard:

All the relays (I need one or two but the rest are just in case)
Turbo to air cleaner pipe connector
Right parking light
Right headlight surrounding plastic
Blinkers
Taillights
Interior bulbs
Door light lenses
Rear seatbelt plastic covers
Gas door
Oil cap
Coolant cap
Hatch lifts
Hatch latch surrounding plastic
Right rear 'oh s***' handle
Throttle body to intake pipe hose
Windshield sprayers
Antenna
Drivers side window controller and surrounding plastic
Any sensor I can find
MAF sensor mesh insert
Drivers side B pillar interior piece
Rear Volvo logo (So I can remove the L and make mine say lolvo)
And probably a bunch more stuff I can't think of

It's a lot of stuff so I'm definitely not going to be getting all of it at the same time, mostly because I don't know if I'll be able to afford it all. It is a junk yard, but you never know, there will definitely be some haggling. Some of the stuff will magically find it's way into wherever I can fit it, but a good portion of the list is too big. I can't imagine how much better it's going to look after I get all of it on mine though. The other day I tucked in and removed some wiring that was left open in the passengers side and fixed the carpet and just that made it look 100x better than it did before, I can't wait.

On a random note I took a couple of pictures the other day. I mainly took them to see what painting the outside of the grill would look like on PS, but I figured I'd post them here for the hell of it.

I've been meaning to update with this for a long time but never got around to it. My friend Brian picked up a 1970 Beetle, already semi baja modified, for $1,000. I can't imagine how much the fiberglass bits alone cost, but the guy selling it was in jail and wanted spending money when he got out so he sold it real cheap. So far he and I (but mostly he) took every external bit on the engine off and put them back on to fix certian things, put a rain cap on the exhaust, sorted out all the wiring (kind of), installed front blinkers, installed a license plate light, and he is in the process of installing new headlight fixtures with new headlights and new trim rings.

I find it kinda neat that now our classics are spaced four years apart, 1966, 1970, and 1974.

I've asked him before and he said that the dual carb setup is a bit too costly for him. He might do it in the future but for now a single works. We'll have to see if the power is good enough when we eventually got to the clay pits with it.

I'm not entirely sure but I think the previous owner put the skinny tires on the front so it will do well in soft sand. Florida is mostly all soft sand, we've learned that all too well with his Blazer. But If they're not good his other Beetle has 205s so he could always switch around

Doesn't look in too bad of shape. I decided to go with the dual glasspacks rather than the stinger exhaust on mine. :sly:

Doesn't look in too bad of shape. I decided to go with the dual glasspacks rather than the stinger exhaust on mine. :sly:

He might have to go with some other setup (I suggested just throwing a glasspack on the end of it), he's a bit worried about the cops having an issue with it. His exhaust has to be one of the loudest I've ever heard, you probably wouldn't even be able to hear my Barracuda with it idling. Just moving it around the yard it sounds like some sort of plane is about to take off, I can't wait until he gets it on the road so we can really hear it. Going to bring it down to the eight story parking garage when he does, I bet the people in the general area are going to love that :mischievous:

Yeah, the stinger exhaust is really only meant for off-road use, which is why there aren't any mufflers on 'em. You could weld one on, but it would look pretty silly.

I would suggest something like this, except perhaps from eBay since I'm sure you could find it cheaper there.

That looks pretty cool, I'll have to show him. "Available in Black with Chrome tips." Should say "Available in rust with chrome tips." Every Beetle exhaust I see unless it's chrome is rusty, even the brand new exhaust on my friends grey beetle is rusty, the paint seems to burn right off.

True. I had mine powdercoated with a a high temp powder, and it looks just as good as the day it was done! (I believe it's going on 3 years now.)

You make me wanna buy an old car and fix it up a little...

Don't do this to me when I don't have a job!

I'd love to find an old Mustang, but life isn't that nice to me! Or anything off a foxbody platform. 5.0 power :D

As it stands now, I'll bring out my truck... And we'll do a different sort of race. A kind of race that would be awesome. We'll take turns revving the piss out of cars/trucks, driving up and down the street, and the person who gets the cops called fastest wins!

I'd love to find an old Mustang, but life isn't that nice to me! Or anything off a foxbody platform. 5.0 power :D

As it stands now, I'll bring out my truck... And we'll do a different sort of race. A kind of race that would be awesome. We'll take turns revving the piss out of cars/trucks, driving up and down the street, and the person who gets the cops called fastest wins!

No contest, have you heard my Cuda :sly:

Just wait till I get the 318 or 360 with headers that I want to get.

If you get an old Mustang I don't care if I have to push my car there we're racing. Oh and by the way, real men don't drive ponies :P Mopar or no car, although currently it's more like Mopar or a crappy Volvo beater because Mopars are expensive :lol:

you might regret asking for a fox platform. ford dropped EVERYTHING on it. all midsizers before taurus and compacts till topaz are foxes.

No contest, have you heard my Cuda :sly:

Just wait till I get the 318 or 360 with headers that I want to get.

If you get an old Mustang I don't care if I have to push my car there we're racing. Oh and by the way, real men don't drive ponies :P Mopar or no car, although currently it's more like Mopar or a crappy Volvo beater because Mopars are expensive :lol:
Have you heard my truck? :sly:

I can't even afford to keep gas in my truck and insurance right now, stop tempting me to do AWESOME stuff involving racing!

Wonder what I can buy for 80 bucks... Don't think the guy down the street will sell me his '78 Mustang II King Cobra for that :lol:
you might regret asking for a fox platform. ford dropped EVERYTHING on it. all midsizers before taurus and compacts till topaz are foxes.

I know how much stuff is on that platform. I'm really just interested in it because of the parts availability and engines.

hey, if you can drop the 5.0 liter in a 3000 lb (before stripping) little LTD wagon....

If you wanted to drive all the way to Minnesota, I know a place near my house that has a 1979 Ford Fairmont wagon with a factory 302 V8 and 4-speed for around $3000! :sly:

Back