Open lobby host migration

• Thread starter gkgamer
  • 15 comments
Japan
R246
gkgamer
Just to check if it has happened to anyone else,

in a public lobby, I just became host after the original host left.
I checked again by leaving the lobby and getting back in and now my friend was hosting.

Was it updated recently of was it a bug?

It could be an interesting option for @MUC76 that way if he accidentally closes the lobby instead of launching the race, someone would become host 😁

But I am not aware if this is a feature or a bug.

Just to check if it has happened to anyone else,

in a public lobby, I just became host after the original host left.
I checked again by leaving the lobby and getting back in and now my friend was hosting.

Was it updated recently of was it a bug?
That was an Option in GT Sport, but I did not think that it was available in GT7. Its a good idea in a full lobby when the original person has to leave.

If the lobby is set to public, the host changes to next in line when the host leaves the lobby. If it’s set to friends only, the lobby closes when the host leaves. It’s always been like that since GT Sport.
Am I understanding the above correctly, friends only is what used to be called fixed host?

Am I understanding the above correctly, friends only is what used to be called fixed host?
Possibly. There are only two options for GT7 and GTS. Freinds Only(only your freinds, and freinds of people in the lobby can see/enter the lobby), where the lobby closes when the host leaves or loses connection. Or Public lobby, where anyone in game can join and see the lobby, and the host changes to next in line when the host leaves.

Edit: Also, this setting cannot be changed once a lobby has been opened, it has to be closed and re opened in order to change this setting once a lobby is going.

Last edited:
Possibly. There are only two options for GT7 and GTS. Freinds Only(only your freinds, and freinds of people in the lobby can see/enter the lobby), where the lobby closes when the host leaves or loses connection. Or Public lobby, where anyone in game can join and see the lobby, and the host changes to next in line when the host leaves.

Edit: Also, this setting cannot be changed once a lobby has been opened, it has to be closed and re opened in order to change this setting once a lobby is going.
Hm, really? I only ever host public lobbies and every time I quit, the lobby ends. I know this because I have a few friends who join the public lobby as well. I haven't hosted for 3 weeks or so but pretty sure this was still true last time we played. Am I missing something?

Hm, really? I only ever host public lobbies and every time I quit, the lobby ends. I know this because I have a few friends who join the public lobby as well. I haven't hosted for 3 weeks or so but pretty sure this was still true last time we played. Am I missing something?
I’m not sure. As far as I’ve ever been aware, a public lobby moves to the next host when the host leaves. It’s only if it’s set to friends only that the lobby fully closes with the host. I’ve hosted hundreds of lobbies, and this has always been my understanding. That’s not to say that something hasn’t changed, or that I’m correct either. 😂

Myself and a couple other SNAILs just tested this open lobby failing hosting to another player and both Open and Friends drops the room for all players when the host leaves or gets DCed.

I’m not sure. As far as I’ve ever been aware, a public lobby moves to the next host when the host leaves. It’s only if it’s set to friends only that the lobby fully closes with the host. I’ve hosted hundreds of lobbies, and this has always been my understanding. That’s not to say that something hasn’t changed, or that I’m correct either. 😂
As far as I'm aware host migration never worked in GT7. Every single lobby I've been in or hosted closed when the host left. And you are the first I've seen who said it worked...(along OP @gkgamer).

Can both of you provide some sort of gameplay capture of it happening? Would be interesting to see.

GT Sport did have a dedicated setting for it and it worked there, but that setting never made it to GT7.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware host migration never worked in GT7. Every single lobby I've been in or hosted closed when the host left. And you are the first I've seen who said it worked...(along OP @gkgamer).

Can both of you provide some sort of gameplay capture of it happening? Would be interesting to see.

GT Sport did have a dedicated setting for it and it worked there, but that setting never made it to GT7.
The setting is still there, on the far left top underneath were you choose the type of race you’re making. But as said earlier, once the lobby is open, the option can’t be changed. You can only see it in the menu before you open the lobby. I’ll see if I can get some clips tonight.

Thank you! That's crazy. Never seen that before in GT7. And I have been in a few public lobbies that definitely always closed with the host leaving.

Last edited:
Thank you! That's crazy. Never seen that before in GT7. And I have been in a few public lobbies that definitely always closed with the host leaving.
I do spend 80 to 90% of my gt7 time in online lobbies, both public and private, and it was the first time I've seen this happening.
The migration was smooth though, and the racing seemed to have been unaffected by it.
In hindsight, we should have tried to properly start the race to be thorough with the tests

Latest Posts

Back