MT vs AT - how much faster?

• Thread starter MSkovmose
  • 113 comments
I wonder what percentage people use MT compared to AT and using what equipment. Controllers vs wheels

I wonder what percentage people use MT compared to AT and using what equipment. Controllers vs wheels
I have no idea but im sure more people on controller use auto than the people on wheel. It always surprises me how many people play with auto on this game

Last edited:
I have no idea but im sure more people on controller use auto than the people on wheel. It always surprises me how many people play with auto on this game
Yeah, some people are real experts on using automatic gears, watch some of Sulka's replays and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Manual all the way for me, any racing game be it cars or bikes has always been MT. Also I use X for accel,Square for brake and triggers for up and down gears, I sometimes have numbness issues with some of my fingers so triggers for accel and brake doesnt work for me. 👍

Manual all the way for me, any racing game be it cars or bikes has always been MT. Also I use X for accel,Square for brake and triggers for up and down gears, I sometimes have numbness issues with some of my fingers so triggers for accel and brake doesnt work for me. 👍
I am the same way, if I exert too much energy pressing the buttons and doing repetitive motion, my hands/thumbs get numb or sometimes get a cramp and then I have to take calcium supplements.

@Chris30 I have,what I believe to be Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. This is when the Ulnar nerve,which runs under the elbow from the side of your neck and ends in your fingers, becomes inflammed. Keeping my arms bent makes it hurt, if I sleep with my arms bent it wakes me up, I wear compression sleeves on each arm when I go to work which helps. You get the picture,if I was a dog i`d probably be put down. :lol:

Last edited:
@Chris30 I have,what I believe to be Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. This is when the Ulnar nerve,which runs under the elbow from the side of your neck and ends in your fingers, becomes inflammed. Keeping my arms bent makes it hurt, if I sleep with my arms bent it wakes me up, I wear compression sleeves on each arm when I got to work which helps. You get the picture,if I was a dog i`d probably be put down. :lol:
That's bad, I hope you're doing okay. I know that's gotta be a scary feeling. Hope you recover well.

That's bad, I hope you're doing okay. I know that's gotta be a scary feeling. Hope you recover well.
Cheers mate.It comes and goes, if i whack my elbows at work or whatever it sets it off. :lol: Its the pins and needles/numbness feeling that does my head in especially when it wakes me up.

Cheers mate.It comes and goes, if i whack my elbows at work or whatever it sets it off. :lol: Its the pins and needles/numbness feeling that does my head in especially when it wakes me up.
I've never heard of that type of syndrome, I'll have to do more research about it later. Take good care of yourself and don't overdo it on the Playstation like I'm doing.

Arms not constantly bent is fine,its when I do a longish gaming session and forget to change position I suffer.Normal day to day stuff is fine but I know my limits.It is what it is,there are people with worse off conditions than mine so im pretty lucky in the grand scheme of things. 👍

Arms not constantly bent is fine,its when I do a longish gaming session and forget to change position I suffer.Normal day to day stuff is fine but I know my limits.It is what it is,there are people with worse off conditions than mine so im pretty lucky in the grand scheme of things. 👍
Yeah, my thumbs ache when I press the buttons so many times plus holding that controller in long periods makes it hard for me to stand the pain so I had to curb my time on the Playstation a month ago. I take Excederin to help with the pain to. See the thing with MT is you have to be quick at pressing the gear shift buttons, it is not a simple process and takes lots of time to learn. Yeah, we have to be grateful and lucky that we are not in other people's shoes. Some have had way worse injuries than us.

Last edited:
Since GT6, my controller setup had been
  • Dpad steering,
  • square for brake,
  • right trigger for throttle,
  • left shoulder for downshifts
  • triangle for upshifts.

The way I held the controller and did throttle inputs made me feel that I'd need an extra hand to reach the corresponding shoulder button for upshifts.

A wrist injury from my wheel setup (of all things) made me switch back to controller. My Dpads turning into mush and my wrist acting up again made me switch to analog steering.

Time trials and the need for trail braking made me switch to using the left trigger.

The best setup for long sessions with the least pain for me is now
  • left analog stick for steering
  • triggers for brakes and throttle
  • square and triangle for downshifts and upshifts

I, my nostalgia and tender wrist are all honestly grateful that GT7s pad config support is great. I wish all the PC sims would copy PD's homework here.

• Dpad steering,
  • square for brake,
  • triangle for upshifts.

The way I held the controller and did throttle inputs made me feel that I'd need an extra hand to reach the corresponding shoulder button for upshifts.

A wrist injury from my wheel setup (of all things) made me switch back to controller. My Dpads turning into mush and my wrist acting up again made me switch to analog steering.

Time trials and the need for trail braking made me switch to using the left trigger.

I, my nostalgia and tender wrist are all honestly grateful that GT7s pad config support is great. I wish all the PC sims would copy PD's homework here.
So it needed an injury to finally get you from weird to normal button settings? ;)

Just kidding. Great that the settings are so customizable to fit for nearly everyone.

• Dpad steering,
  • square for brake,
  • triangle for upshifts.

I'm gonna try your methods this week and see if I notice improvements. Thank you for the advice for us. I'm gonna use L2 for throttle and R2 for breaking. Hope it works.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try your methods this week and see if I notice improvements. Thank you for the advice for us. I'm gonna use L2 for throttle and R2 for breaking. Hope it works.
@TumeK5

I fixed my post, durn I'm not paying attention. I really need to start getting more sleep. Lack of sleep will cause a person to make mistakes and errors. Not good.

So it needed an injury to finally get you from weird to normal button settings? ;)

Just kidding. Great that the settings are so customizable to fit for nearly everyone.
Funny as it is, you're absolutely right! It took a wrist injury to get me away from the dpad steering - that's how much I loved driving with it.

That love went all the way back to the Sega Saturn / PS1 era.

To go kinda back to topic, I switched to MT in Gran Turismo 3. Before that, I was a staunch AT driver and afraid of the complexity of managing more than 4 gears (Sega racing games). The final S License in GT3 showed me that I could run faster and smoother laps by using higher gears to eliminate wheelspin.

There was the extra complexity, yes, but it was totally worth it gaining more control over the car. Golding that license and then going back to beat the demo driver gave me the training time I needed to fully transition to MT.

I switched to MT in Gran Turismo 3
I think I started using MT since this game was released and MT was a different car than AT, with an advantage of +5km/h (or so), so it came with a side bonus effect.
1724061901813.png

I think I started using MT since this game was released and MT was a different car than AT, with an advantage of +5km/h (or so), so it came with a side bonus effect.
View attachment 1382214
Cool, the first game I used MT in was gt5, so it was a steep learning curve for me. I used it in gt6 and GTS as well, so gt7 is the 4th game that I have used the manual transmission in.

Showing my age now, the first game I used MT was Revs by Geoff Crammond on my Commodore C64.That was back in the mid 80`s.There plenty youtube vids showing the gameplay,looks pretty basic now but back in the day it was a groundbreaking racing game,considering all we had was at that time was Outrun, the dire Pole Position and a load of other poor driving games.
You had 6 tracks,these were loaded via a cassette tape,2 tracks at a time so if you wanted to change the tracks you had to reload the game again.If you`ve never played games loaded by cassette you will never know the pain of seeing the message`syntax error`halfway through loading a game and having to rewind and start again. :lol:

Showing my age now, the first game I used MT was Revs by Geoff Crammond on my Commodore C64.That was back in the mid 80`s.There plenty youtube vids showing the gameplay,looks pretty basic now but back in the day it was a groundbreaking racing game,considering all we had was at that time was Outrun, the dire Pole Position and a load of other poor driving games.
You had 6 tracks,these were loaded via a cassette tape,2 tracks at a time so if you wanted to change the tracks you had to reload the game again.If you`ve never played games loaded by cassette you will never know the pain of seeing the message`syntax error`halfway through loading a game and having to rewind and start again. :lol:
That syntax error sounds almost like a similsr experience to save file corruption in modern times 😂. Ive had corrupted saves from developers not fixing thier game by launch and its definetly a mood killer

Last edited:
That syntax error sounds almost like a similsr experience to save file corruption in modern times 😂. Ive had corrupted saves from developers not fixing thier game by launch and its definetly a mood killer
Some of the games on cassette were huge, for the time,waiting for the game to load and after waiting 5 mins or more getting this message made you want to launch the machine.Even more annoying when loading next levels and having to start again due to an error was torture.
Thing us we didnt know any better then, the Master System was new and games for that were quite pricey at the time,around £20.00 - £25.00,whereas C64 games were around £10.00 with budget releases around £2 or £3.00.A no brainer if you didnt have massive disposable income.
Sorry for the off topic ramble,nice to reminisce sometimes. 🫱

Back