Paris 2024 Summer Olympic Games

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 86 comments
This has turned out to be a pretty good Olympics for Australia. The best ever in fact. 🔥

We've claimed Bottas as an Aussie. Can we claim her too? :lol:

Katzberg is the men's winner. :lol: Feels weird as a Canadian to win both men and women gold for the same sport in the summer.

With the gold in the Nacra 17 (sailing), Italy equaled the gold tally of Tokyo 2020, and we have still room to surpass it (14, like L.A. 84 is probably impossible, but let's see) :sly:

The Brits have slipped back in their gold hunt this Games compared to recent history. Even ignoring the London games when they had nearly double the usual numbers of athletes, the other 3 recent summer games they've had from 19 to 27 golds. Sitting at 12 now, 17 silvers showing there've been a few near misses - a couple the last 2 nights in the athletics, losing to fast finishing Yanks.

Ever look at the medal counts and then see the top of the board is always full of the biggest countries in the world? Ever wonder what the medal count would look like population adjusted? Apparently, somebody else has too!

The extreme cases I think should be ignored, but New Zealand is looking pretty sharp!

TEBOGO :eek::lol::D

200m belongs to Botswana, love it 🇧🇼

P.S. And now it is discovered that Lyles run today with Covid, SERIOUSLY ? :mad:

P.P.S. Italy's volley team goes to the final for the 1st time :gtpflag: Bring it on, USA :mischievous:

Last edited:
Moments ago, I saw the USA Women's Water Polo team fall to Australia in a shootout. With the game tied 8-8 in regulation, AUS won the shootout 6-5. Australia will move on to the Gold Medal game. Australia tied but never led during regulation of their contest against the USA.

Absolutely no reason for a basketball team with the talent the USA has to trail Serbia by 17

I really don't care that they won that was insulting

Serbia is not a sorry country in basketball. I wouldn't go that far about that. Now you'd be upset if the USA lost to South Sudan or somebody.

Absolutely no reason for a basketball team with the talent the USA has to trail Serbia by 17

I really don't care that they won that was insulting
Olympic/FIBA rules are more biased towards movement on offense and the 3-point line is shorter. There's no 3 second violation on defense, either, so the US blocked the paint and tried to contain Jokic. Serbia and particularly Bogdanovic was just on a heater from beyond the arc in response. Scoring 3s vs 2s all game will put you up like they were. Serbia is an amazing team. If they were still Yugoslavia, they would have arguably the best team in the world, right up there with the USA.

It was a great match and the final should be awesome, too.

Last edited:
Getting so frustrated with the 'Today at the Games' coverage from the BBC. I get it, we are Great Britain, and we show off the talents/medal winners from this country, but I would love to see some of the other events given more air time. Its so difficult to find highlights from events on Youtube, too.

I know Eurosport exists but I refuse to pay the money :banghead:

Belgian hepthatlon athlete Nafi Thiam can get her 3rd gold Olympic medal. Only has the run the 800m where she can loose 8.2 seconds on runner up Johnson-thompson.

With the gold in the Nacra 17 (sailing), Italy equaled the gold tally of Tokyo 2020, and we have still room to surpass it (14, like L.A. 84 is probably impossible, but let's see) :sly:
With events much more plausible in succeeding the overtake we decided to do it in the Women's Madison, the most unsuspected of events :lol::D

Last edited:
I saw the second half of the women's basketball semifinal between France and Belgium. Those Belgian ladies can 'ball! That is... until France came roaring back. The game went to Overtime, and France prevailed.

This means that the regular basketball Olympic Final will be between the United States and France- for BOTH the men and women. It should be interesting to see how the USA and France do in the respective Gold Medal games of men's basketball and women's basketball.

Olympic Breakdancing. Breakdancing is fun to watch, but I don't know about it as an Olympic sport. I could kind of see this as a unique competition since this event is happening in a cosmopolitan city like Paris. However, and as someone who watches competitive cheerleading, not sure if I can consider this an Olympics event. But again- breakdancing is fun to watch.

Gimbo :( Renal colics be damned :banghead:

By the way Italy ended up winning at least one medal, every single day, for the 2nd Olympics in a row (we're already sure tomorrow thanks to volleyball) :)

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to watch the breakdancing. It was cool, but it felt so out of place. It seems more at home in 1984 than 2024.

I finally got a chance to watch the breakdancing. It was cool, but it felt so out of place. It seems more at home in 1984 than 2024.
It felt like watching a show on Nickelodeon. Beneath the Olympics for sure. The guys were cool but it’s not the venue for dance.

The female Italvolley just decided to win the gold in a manner so dominant that I almost hate it :lol: What a perfomance :D

Now I'll wait the start of the closing ceremony to give a closing statement on my part about Paris 2024 :cool:

Last edited:
The female Italvolley just decided to win the gold in a manner so dominant that I almost hate it :lol: What a perfomance :D

Now I'll wait the start of the closing ceremony to give a closing statement on my part about Paris 2024 :cool:
They were too good for the USA and deserved this win.

Based on total medals GB get on the podium for the final medal table. Enough of this ranked-by-golds nonsense :)

And so the Olympics are finished, and this will be the last summer event with a good timezone, for us europeans, for the next 8 years :rolleyes:

This 2 weeks were, as almost always, amazing; the french really took advantage of all its iconic locations for every event and the return of the public was really needed :D

But it was not all perfect: the sometimes bad organization, the Seine fiasco, the really bad refeering and all the discussions about genders......it really gave me an headache :boggled:

Regarding Italy: at the beginning we thought it could be very difficult to do better than Tokyo, considering that all the victories in the athletics except Tamberi would be impossible to replicate (and even Tamberi ended up with no medals :(); but in the end we italians did italian things ended up with the same general amounts of Tokyo, but with a better gold medals tally :lol: The women took control of that tally (7 against men's 3 and mixed's 2) so good on you, ladies ;)

The most iconic italian gold of this edition is clearly today's gold in the women's volleyball; we had a Benfica like curse regarding this, since the allmighty men's squad of the 90's lost incredibly to the Netherlands at Atlanta, so I'm so happy that we have finally defeated it :mischievous:

The absence of Russia clearly has shaken the entire landscape of this Olympics: France, of course, did great and broke records, but Australia did even better :lol: and so Japan, Korea and, yes, Uzbekistan (8 golds :odd:); Jamaica was the biggest dissapointment, just one gold and it was incredibly on the field, not on the track :indiff:

I conclude this statemnet with a shout-out, of course, to every nation that got finally a taste of olympic medal for the 1st time (straight up gold like Saint Lucia and Dominica or a just a bronze like the refugees or Albania) :cheers:

And now unto the next one, as us italians will welcome you in Milan and Cortina in two years time for a rollercoaster of winter's emotions :cool: But the real question is: Can we do worse than Paris in the organization's part ? I hope not :scared:

And the gold medal for worst Olympic infographic goes to...

1723650040045.png

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Back