Penalty system is still a piece of ***

• Thread starter sturk0167
  • 141 comments
United States
Nor Cal
sturk0167
Twice today I got a 3 second penalty for "Ignored a yellow flag".
Both times, it was a car that was spun out and off the track. What do you want me to do?
Get your stuff together, PD.
It ruined my race both times, and for no good reason.
fuck you frank gallagher GIF by Showtime

That sucks.

I thought the yellow flag was only supposed to apply to cars still on the track. We're the spun cars partially still on track? Were they ghosted?

I've received that penalty for just continuing to drive without passing anyone, no where near the crash. It almost seems like if the yellow flag goes up you're getting a penalty.

I actually like the penalties, i've had loads of 3sec pit entry/exit ones but unlike GTS people who have ran into the back of me or punted me off have got varying degrees of penalties....

Better than no penalty system. And I recall Kaz saying that they specifically want to improve netcode. And I think a recent patch note said they will continue to work on the penalties. So let's hope things only go up from here.

Worst is when you spin out of the track, lost a million years and positions and they give you 3 sec for hit the barrier
That's one thing i think is stupid, especially when your are just doing time trail and bin it
Jimmy Broadbent had this happen on his most recent livestream and complained about it. Maybe getting an influencer to mention it will finally make PD fix it. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

I've also had bad experiences with the system, unfortunately... BUT the system in GTS was far too careless and ALWAYS punished the "wrong" ones, now those who deliberately drive unclean are also being punished. is it perfect No.. but better than in GTS.

The question would be.. how would YOU build the system, when which penalties.. when not and please also remember why there are currently penalties for what.

I think I broke the record. I got a 7 sec penalty for hitting a car who lost control on thos 4 right turns on dragon trail, and came across the track. And it wasn't even that hard. It was annoying, but I guess that in this cases is hard to identify what really happened.

In a yellow flag situation, as well as not passing your supposed to drop your speed. Not sure about the game but that’s the case irl.

I saw a post where someone had recieved a 30+ sec penalty on the Daytona road course, he missed and went wide at turn 1 and the game thought he was trying to bypass the whole infield course (?) And gave him a whopping penalty...

I know some programming, and I can see it must be extremely hard to program a system for giving fair penalties all the time... Like... Almost impossibly hard.
They've had years to work on and improve these things...
Should be able to handle 99% of normal situations imo.

They can't even do it IRL for example in F1 (to correctly solve 99% of incidents), so imagine programming it. A nightmare. Much harder than it seems. Like, crazy hard
Agree... But this this system so game breakingly bad..
I have only done the weekly "daily" races in the first week of racing and its clear that they have barely got the basics right

Penalty's get given out to the wrong players or not at all.
Players using the walls in High Speed Ring to go faster...
People go off the track, losing time... still getting addition penalties

Things that smart people could easily fix by adding micro sectors to corners and algorithms to see if an advantage was gained or not...

In general it seems clear that this game was released very incomplete and they needed a lot more time to get stuff right.
Good news though: The game has potential to be amazing, just needs more time spent on it by PD

That's exactly my point.

This game has been in development for many years and feels like it is essentially an DLC / expansion pack from GT Sport...
They have had time to find the common issues from GT Sport and improve on them - ie: 95% of the issues should be sorted, there will always be the odd anomaly but the issues that happen in every single race... should be well sorted out by now

I got 9 seconds from the yellow flag in one of my custom races because the AI can't figure out T1 on N24 in GR.1 and they all park. Can't go anywhere and the positions jump up and down on the board in that corner :lol: (No penalty zone though, the penalty just organically shrinks and disappears while racing, double pointless)

I'm not racing online for now, the lag penalties are killing it. Car in front of me stalls on the apex, bumpers touch, car in front jumps ahead back to where it's supposed to be and drives on unaffected. Penalty for me. Happened 3 times in one day, one of the times it cause my car to spin out and hit the wall for damage, wall penalty, and having to reverse back out onto the track. Why is the server so much worse than in GT Sport?

The server for ps4 is better (closer?) and I get 5 bars there instead of 3. But there seems to be a bug on Spa on ps4 pro when driving the Lexus. The game glitches occasionally just after Stavelot. Maybe due to another car being close. Yet the result is, the game freezes for 0.3 or 0.4 seconds on my screen then continues, yet the other cars have kept on going. First time I simply fell back 0.4 sec and the car behind suddenly 0.4 sec closer. Second time the car 0.3 sec behind me suddenly teleported inside my car and we went into the next corner merged. Third time the game crashed, "An unexpected error has occurred"

That's in 3 different races, other laps no hickups there. But all three were while accelerating out of Stavelot.

GT7 sport mode is a piece of ****.

Last edited:
In addition to everything the friends mentioned above, two things I noticed:

There are many shortcuts being allowed. In the GTS it generated severe punishment! Yesterday I missed the Eau Rouge a few times and put the car off the track, inside the corner, without slowing down, and I wasn't punished. I also see at Interlagos the Tops 10s taking the second leg of Senna's S completely outside the track, in addition to Laranjinha and Esse totally outside, and they are not punished.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the rule. If you're in 8th and a car way ahead of you goes off track, causing the yellow flag, you cannot pass the car in 7th while the flag is up. You can drive by the car that went off track and pass them though.
It’s the rule but PD needs to put a timeout on that thing. The other day a guy spun on the second lap and decided to camp there on the grass of Interlagos watching other cars pass by for the remaining of the race and penalties were being distributed for anyone that was still trying to race. Got a 3 second penalty for passing the second place on the fourth lap in front of the guy taking a nap on the grass for basically three whole laps.

They also need to review their penalties for ramming. People rear end you to the moon and get nothing, you gentle tap some early breaker, and get five seconds.

It’s all over the place.

I know some programming, and I can see it must be extremely hard to program a system for giving fair penalties all the time... Like... Almost impossibly hard.
They can't even do it IRL for example in F1 (to correctly solve 99% of incidents), so imagine programming it. A nightmare. Much harder than it seems. Like, crazy hard
Stand back folks, this guy knows "some" programming and he says it's really hard, so that's that.

Many aspects of it is actually easier in a game than real life because the game constantly has live data with regards to speed, braking input, location of the car(s), track limits and so much more. This data takes time to come to real world stewards, or is impossible to determine in some cases if there isn't a camera in the right place or it's a metric not measured. In the game it's tracked, it's all live.

It's obviously not easy, but they can do a whole lot better than they've managed.

Stand back folks, this guy knows "some" programming and he says it's really hard, so that's that.

Many aspects of it is actually easier in a game than real life because the game constantly has live data with regards to speed, braking input, location of the car(s), track limits and so much more. This data takes time to come to real world stewards, or is impossible to determine in some cases if there isn't a camera in the right place or it's a metric not measured. In the game it's tracked, it's all live.

It's obviously not easy, but they can do a whole lot better than they've managed.
Yea sure you are so smart, you would do better

Latest Posts

Back