PlayStation 5 Pro: Coming November 2024, $700/€800

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 297 comments
Let’s see if they make the VR mode much better on the Pro, if so, I’ll get one. I wonder if they could get rid of reprojection or simply make it look fancier.

Sony: announces price everyone expected it to be
The internet:

1725984600943.png

Well that's something I guess.
It sounds a lot cheaper if one is trying to convince himself to get it when you consider it is £100 cheaper than the standard iPhone 16 128GB or just £150 more than a 2TB Series X but you get no disc drive. I have yet to use the disc drive on my launch PS5 so I can see myself pre-ordering it when available as an impulse purchase (Already bought an 8TB SSD in advance for it earlier this year) even though I don't really play games much, haven't played anything on my PS5 in months. I was thinking before the conference, please don't be £800 as I was considering getting two (One to replace PS5 and another to replace PS4 with) and it ended up being that with the disc drive. :lol:

I might just wait until a new GT or if they do a Grey 30th Anniversary edition and order then as don't really need it, hopefully price does not go up further due to rising costs (They should have more margin in this product so hopefully they offer a good promotion like they did with PS VR2 one day). They might drop the price when Xbox release their next-generation console in a couple years time too. Good thing at that price point, it should keep scalpers away (I was offered more than £800 for my launch PS5 by someone locally but declined so by that consideration, it is actually reasonably priced). Switch successor is going to sell like hotcakes if it is priced well going by current competition, hopefully rumours are true that it will be unveiled this month. Sony really need to create a competitor to that like Microsoft sound like they are planning to do.

I am very pleased with PS5 disc version with an extrernal HDD.
800 euros are expensive to invest for a PS5... I will waiting PS6 better...
(or i will buy it if it plays all the games from PS3-PS4 era)

Last edited:
I don’t understand the no disc drive complaint. It’s one of the most fragile components in a gaming console, so having it as a separate add-on greatly reduces the risk of sending an otherwise healthy console in for repairs/replacement.

Sony: announces price everyone expected it to be
The internet:

View attachment 1388197
Define "everyone".

The press I'm following had this thing anywhere between €599 and €799 - the higher price being WITH a drive.

I also have not seen "everyone" saying the PRO would come without a stand.

The reactions are fair imo.

Last edited:
That number for me is a no-go. PS6 will probably $1250 CAD + tax at this point! Smh 😒
Like I said in the other post, I will wait for the PS6 instead. My kids logged in most of the time on my PS5 anyway, we don't really need an upgrade for the foreseeable future.

Define "everyone".

The press I'm following had this thing anywhere between €599 and €799 and the higher price being WITH a drive.

I also hav not seen "everyone" saying the PRO would come without a stand.

The reactions are fair imo.
The reactions are more than fair. £800 in the UK for a Pro with a disc drive is insane for a console. A 'Pro' console should come with a disk drive, it's not a PC.

Edit: Not an expert but £800 dollars in the US is way cheaper than the £800 in the UK, not sure if this is always the case, seems a bit more reasonable in the US.

Last edited:
Define "everyone".
Well, me.

Pricing is anybody’s guess, particularly as base PS5 prices have once again increased recently in Japan to some ¥30,000 ($200) more than at launch in 2020, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see the US price beginning with a six.

Even said the exact figure in a GTP staff chat about an hour before the stream :lol:

1725986050602.png

Well, me.

Even said the exact figure in a GTP staff chat about an hour before the stream :lol:

View attachment 1388204
Fair enough :lol:

What is with all these vertical stand weirdos? You deserved to be charged extra as far as I'm concerned :lol:

Eggstor
That's the mid-range GPU that's going into these things. If you want something high-end, that's four figures before the decimal.
Exactly. People want more powerful stuff but expect everything to be the same price 🤷‍♂️ I was just reminded that the current PS5 is $500. Of course this was going to be a fair bit more. They aren't going to go through the logistics and R&D to sell a fractionally better piece of hardware for $100 more. This'll make for a good holdover for the next 4+ years til PS6.

The other scenario I love is that people will wait to buy this in 2-3 years because they'll finally come around to the idea.. And then complain when the PS6 gets announced a year later. I see this happen with every hardware cycle. Buy it when it comes out and you'll be good for years to come. If you buy a base console (which is fine; not everyone needs a Pro) then you'll be begging for new hardware after 8 years. When the newest hardware gets announced you'll be financially and emotionally ready for it.

Last edited:
This will come down to GT in VR to me. If the PRO can enhance the VR performance - say native 90fps WITHOUT reprojection - I will probably jump in at some point.

What is with all these vertical stand weirdos? You deserved to be charged extra as far as I'm concerned :lol:
I have very 'hands on' kids. Safest place for it is on a stand behind the TV.

TV stand is also a bookshelf so it's pretty much the only place it can go.

Usually I don't mind paying extra but if I'm stumping up £700 I expect it to be included, as it was with the original PS5s.

Currently on the Mazda website and "build your Mazda" the MX5 Arctic White is no cost and the optional Machine Grey costs £690.
Thats £690 for just a change in colour, not for the car to be painted (that's included in the cost) just a different colour. So it makes buying a £699 state of the art Sony console seem fine to me.
If Sony was owned by a car company the optional disc drive would be a £1460 accesorry. (misspelling intended)

Last edited:
I don’t understand the no disc drive complaint. It’s one of the most fragile components in a gaming console, so having it as a separate add-on greatly reduces the risk of sending an otherwise healthy console in for repairs/replacement.
It's the buying of said disc drive that's the issue. Another £100 + £25 vertical stand and you're not far off a grand for a console that does nothing revolutionary, nor have exclusive software. I really wanted one but now will hold off till I see if GTA VI makes use of its additional power.

Currently on the Mazda website and "build your Mazda" the MX5 Arctic White is no cost and the optional Machine Grey costs £690.
Thats £690 for just a change in colour, not for the car to be painted (that's included in the cost) just a different colour. So it makes buying a £699 state of the art Sony console seem fine to me.
If Sony was owned by a car company the optional disc drive would be a £1460 accesorry. (misspelling intended)
Comparing apples and oranges there. The car is £28k already, perspective on the £690 is very different then. Plus everyone's paying monthly anyway so it's what, £5 per month difference?

The reactions are more than fair. £800 in the UK for a Pro with a disc drive is insane for a console. A 'Pro' console should come with a disk drive, it's not a PC.

Edit: Not an expert but £800 dollars in the US is way cheaper than the £800 in the UK, not sure if this is always the case, seems a bit more reasonable in the US.
US prices do not include VAT, which varies by state, though the rate is still cheaper than the UK's 20%.

Eggstor

Exactly. People want more powerful stuff but expect everything to be the same price 🤷‍♂️ I was just reminded that the current PS5 is $500. Of course this was going to be a fair bit more. They aren't going to go through the logistics and R&D to sell a fractionally better piece of hardware for $100 more. This'll make for a good holdover for the next 4+ years til PS6.
Wanting to keep your PS5 upright like how the console is marketed is weird?

Also $500 is for the disc edition. The digital edition costs $400 so people wanted a $200 dollar difference, not a $380 + $30 difference.

Last edited:
Back