PlayStation 5 Pro: Coming November 2024, $700/€800

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 297 comments
Well, looks I won't need it. Waiting to see thorough testings to have a complete view of the evolution, but I am not hyped.

800€ for a new console only to play GT7 with better reflections and no vitalia signature Psplus? Well, one day that Sony realizes they have sold millions of units, console/games and don't have more than 50 online rooms, ask where the players are? ( I only refer to previous consoles and the GT7 game). That way it's uninteresting to play online with a player or two, and to do best time in TTs we don't need PS plus signature.

£700, no disc drive, and from the little I know about specs, not bowled over. I was on the fence, but its a no. I'd rather be able to continue to pay my mortgage.

The more I think about it the cheaper it sounds. Only last week got a new laptop with a RTX 4060 which is much weaker in performance but that retails for more than four times the cost of a PS5 Pro. Been spoilt with Sony selling consoles for no margin for years, most tech products are usually sold for decent margins so even at that price point, you will be hard-pressed to buy a full system including controller on PC side at retail price that can match it.

Sony literally won't have any competition for GTA 6 in the high-end space at launch unless it's delayed and by the time that comes to PC, it will be close to PS6 launch anyway so can see a lot of PC gamers getting this too. Maybe it does still sell out at launch depending on how many units they have available, must be a reasonable amount of people waiting to buy this going by how many who watched the stream.

Decided I will try and get one for launch and get a second one only if they discount it further on one of their sales.

How it started:
The increased memory bandwidth and more efficient memory system with a more powerful GPU could improve games that are more CPU demanding by a decent chunk. Will try and get one day one if it does not get out of stock straightaway, this seems a much better buy than the PS4 Pro was as that was mainly a bit more of a resolution bump than bigger visual and audio enhancements we are getting this time around. This is the biggest increase in mid-generation hardware performance, almost like getting a generational leap in GPU technology as it's the very best AMD has to offer, even looks beyond their 2025 GPUs in feature set due to PSSR. This thing will sell incredibly well, much more than the share PS4 Pro managed if it is priced close to PS5 disc version. Hopefully they offer bundled version with disc at a discount if it is just a digital SKU.
How it's going:
At that price point, it is going to be lower demand product especially as it is no disc drive at that price. Really needed to be 100 less. Still good value but not at the mass market price point needed, was worried that might be the case with the new Sony president wanting to improve PlayStation margins. At least it will be much easier to buy and won't cannibalise the base console sales for them. Not sure if I will get one day one now as I can see them doing promos on it at that price point.

It's So Over (Sover).

Last edited:
87c65be9-90dd-4ff2-b376-9515d6ab1501.jpg

That’s a serious price point, £700 just to play GT plus a new tv for 8k. It wil have to be done at some point, not sure when though

oh god damn 800€ that is crazy. Well no ps5pro for me, now I hope they will publish a PC version so my 7900XT can crush the PS5pro version. :D

The price point was expected, but what was surprising is that the optical drive is not included, and that adds on quite a bit to the final price. For $700 USD you should get an optical drive included in an enthusiast device.

What I can't wait for is the inevitable scalping situation and resellers playing charades with their listings.

I don't mind a mid-gen console update with whatever new/missing features but €800 for EU ($880 USD) and £700 for UK ($915 USD) vs $700 USD for US for the same thing clearly shows a disproportionality beyond what I can comprehend. Clearly their pricing strategy is mainly aiming the American market.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the no disc drive complaint. It’s one of the most fragile components in a gaming console, so having it as a separate add-on greatly reduces the risk of sending an otherwise healthy console in for repairs/replacement.
I've been PlayStation gamer from the very start and never I've never had any disc issues with any of them and still own 3 PS2 's, a PS3, a PS4 and a PS5, which all run fine. For the price they're charging I would expect a disc drive with this console and the last thing I would be worried about is it going bad. They could have just as easily added a detachable disc drive with it at the same price so wouldn't even compromise the whole console if it was to go bad anyway. So that definitely isn't the reason why it isn't bundled with it.

I've been PlayStation gamer from the very start and never I've never had any disc issues with any of them and still own 3 PS2 's, a PS3, a PS4 and a PS5, which all run fine. For the price they're charging I would expect a disc drive with this console and the last thing I would be worried about is it going bad. They could have just as easily added a detachable disc drive with it at the same price so wouldn't even compromise the whole console if it was to go bad anyway. So that definitely isn't the reason why it isn't bundled with it.

I didn’t say it was the reason. I said there are fewer components to potentially go bad without a built-in disc drive, and in my experience disc drives are the most fragile component in electronic devices that have them.

oh god damn 800€ that is crazy. Well no ps5pro for me, now I hope they will publish a PC version so my 7900XT can crush the PS5pro version. :D
Could a 7900XT run GT7 at 8K without some PSSR/DLSS equivalent? I have no idea myself and not particularly interested in 8K. Just wondering what kind of GPU is needed. Someone also said the CNET journalist played F1 24 in 8K but not seen confirmation.

Still have to see what RT is like as not much seen other than GT7.

"PS5 Pro uses the new advanced [ray tracing] feature sets that AMD created as the next step in their roadmap architecture," Cerny told me. "But if you look around, there are no other AMD GPUs that use it yet. We motivated the development, and I'm very happy we did so -- the response from the developers has been extraordinarily great."

I think people are missing a point regarding the price tag. Many seem pissed off it’s too expensive to justify the upgrade over the base PS5. Guess what? The price is not meant to satisfy people who already own a PS5. It’s aimed at buyers who do not currently own a PS5, and they are getting a lot of horsepower for the money.

Then there’s the disc drive thing, but by giving people the choice to buy it as an add-on Sony is effectively keeping the console’s price lower. Would you rather have an internal disc drive and pay more for the console? Those who don’t need a disc drive would hate that.

Last edited:
I think people are missing a point regarding the price tag. Many seem pissed off it’s too expensive to justify the upgrade over the base PS5. Guess what? The price is not meant to satisfy people who already own a PS5. It’s aimed at buyers who do not currently own a PS5, and they are getting a lot of horsepower for the money.

Then there’s the disc drive thing, but by giving people the choice to buy it as an add-on Sony is effectively keeping the console’s price lower. Would you rather have an internal disc drive and pay more for the console? Those who don’t need a disc drive would hate that.
Except people are already pointing out folks would be just as fine buying the $500 model b/c the differences aren't there in the games to justify the extra money.

The point about the disc drive is that it should be included in the cost to begin with. The $500 model has it built in, yet for $200 more, it's not.

For the record, the 7900XT alone costs 700€+ in Finland. I doubt it's crushing much anything with a PC around it that was built entirely with a 100€ MSRP budget.

To be fair I do think PS5 Pro is aimed at a subset of PS5 early adopters, and most will trade in their existing PS5's. For someone buying their first system they can still pick up the base model. I find it strange how some are extremely price sensitive but refuse to trade in their current machine. I could understand if it was a generational change, but this is an upgrade.

Last edited:
I've been playing games since the zx spectrum and this is the biggest piss take I can remember. The PS3 price was close but at least that was when generational upgrades meant more.

I bought the PS4 pro when it released, for what it's worth. I felt like it was worth it to play my favourite games in higher resolution.

I'd no interest in a ps5 pro - I barely play my ps5 these days because it's been a while since a new game grabbed me and that's got nothing to do with graphics.

But this price dude... £700 for ANY console and without a DISC DRIVE for the love of gawd... and this being a mid-gen mild improvement and not even a new-gen... I just can't believe Sony have done this.

It doesn't affect me now, as I had no intention of buying but holy hell this feels like a watershed moment in the bigger picture of gaming overall. This is Sony's canary in the coal mine. If it does anything but flop sales wise you had better prepare yourself for a Playstation 6 coming two or three years from now for £800, plus at least £100 for a disc drive.

I see a lot of people on twitter saying, "I don't care, I'll buy it and **** all you broke clowns who don't understand the value of nice things". That is of course the consumer's right - you pays yer money you takes yer choice but that is so unbelievably short sighted a view in my humble opinion. People like that are laying the ground work for an industry wide arse reaming that is 100% coming if this thing sells decent numbers.

I've been playing games since the zx spectrum and this is the biggest piss take I can remember. The PS3 price was close but at least that was when generational upgrades meant more.

I bought the PS4 pro when it released, for what it's worth. I felt like it was worth it to play my favourite games in higher resolution.

I'd no interest in a ps5 pro - I barely play my ps5 these days because it's been a while since a new game grabbed me and that's got nothing to do with graphics.

But this price dude... £700 for ANY console and without a DISC DRIVE for the love of gawd... and this being a mid-gen mild improvement and not even a new-gen... I just can't believe Sony have done this.

It doesn't affect me now, as I had no intention of buying but holy hell this feels like a watershed moment in the bigger picture of gaming overall. This is Sony's canary in the coal mine. If it does anything but flop sales wise you had better prepare yourself for a Playstation 6 coming two or three years from now for £800, plus at least £100 for a disc drive.

I see a lot of people on twitter saying, "I don't care, I'll buy it and **** all you broke clowns who don't understand the value of nice things". That is of course the consumer's right - you pays yer money you takes yer choice but that is so unbelievably short sighted a view in my humble opinion. People like that are laying the ground work for an industry wide arse reaming that is 100% coming if this thing sells decent numbers.
Great post!! (in my opinion of course)
If people buy this in big numbers Sony will know they can get away with it and the PS6 will end up as you say.

I thought a digital only future would price me out of gaming but it turns out the hardware itself will do at this rate.

$599 in 2006 equates to...
$937.65 in 2024

60GB PS3 lauched at $937 in todays money. We are getting goods so cheap these days we should be embarassed.
Everything else was cheaper though comparatively and the economy was in a much, much better place.

$599 in 2006 equates to...
$937.65 in 2024

60GB PS3 lauched at $937 in todays money. We are getting goods so cheap these days we should be embarassed.
I know you're trying very hard across multiple threads to tell people that a ~60% price increase for a memed barely perceptible quality difference even among Sony's cherry-picked first party games (likely in part because of how terrible the presentation was handled) is actually good because of mumblings about "state of the art" (it's not) or car color choices (?); but this "we don't know how good we have it because of inflation" sentiment is something I can directly comment on this time because I was around when this actually happened:

How did the public respond to the PS3 price reveal at the 2006 Sony E3 conference? While keeping in mind that the PS3 represented a substantially larger generational leap than any following generation (even if it was weaker than the 360 in practice) while also being a very cheap Blu Ray player at launch, are you under the impression that that system wasn't a punching bag in the industry for a third of its life until Sony essentially completely rebranded it after forcing out everyone in the company who was involved with the debacle? Because if you think people took Five Hundred Ninety-Nine US Dollars any better in 2006 than they are taking "$700 without a disc drive or stand" in 2024 then I got some bad news for you.

Last edited:
Back