• Thread starter AMG.
  • 112 comments

AMG.

Staff Emeritus
Netherlands
NL, Leiden
GTP_AMG
Pocher

At the International Toy Fair of Milan in 1966, the Pocher stand astonished the world with its wonderfully detailed 1:8 scale model of the Fiat F2 130HP, the car which won the 1907 French Grand Prix driven by Felice Nazzaro. The model contained 144 high-resistance plastic parts, 173 in brass and 506 in steel, copper, leather, rubber and aluminium. The Company went on to produce ever more detailed models of motoring classics including the 1931–34 Alfa Romeo 2300 Ac Monza, the 1932 Rolls Royce Phantom II Drophead Sedanca Coupe, the 1932 Alfa Romeo Touring, the Mercedes-Benz 500K/AK containing 2,378 part and then the Rolls Royce Torpedo Phanton II Convertible with 2,905 parts.

These kits were based on original plans from the manufacturer. Two features present on some models were spoked wire wheels that were assembled spoke by spoke, and engines with working crankshaft and piston assemblies. Assembly was mostly accomplished with threaded fasteners (screws, bolts, nuts) and very little glue. This created finished products that could theoretically be disassembled and repaired or modified. Kits came molded in color and ready painted. Finished preassembled versions were also sold.

In the 1970s Corrado Muratore sold his part of the company to Rivarossi, a bit later Arnaldo Pocher sold his part, too.

The product ranges

The earlier high piece and high detail kits were referred to as the Classic line, later a less assembly intensive line appeared and was called the Prestige line of cars. Classic kits were known for their high piece count and incredible detail such as working brake systems, engines with rotating crankshafts and moving pistons, windows that moved up and down, steering that operated, and when a tiny key was inserted into the dashboard the headlights lit up. Classic kits were produced that faithfully represented cars from Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Bugatti, Mercedes-Benz, and Rolls Royce. Many from the 1930s. Prestige kits were most often die cast metal bodies and 500 parts. They featured working suspension and opening doors and detailed engines. These kits were designed to provide attractive models you can build with little difficulty. They were mainly of the Ferrari Testarossa and Ferrari F40, with a few Porsches. A third line exists called Pocher Truck. These were two Volvo Trucks. Using the same assembly method as Prestige mainly press fit parts with superb detailing. Four separate engine kits were produced that were the engines from Ferrari Testarossa, F40, Volvo, and Bugatti. Of these four kits the Bugatti was the most complex as it had the moving crankshaft and pistons.

All model kits in this automobile line were produced in enormous one eighth scale. Cars that could be up to 22 inches (560 mm) long and weigh as much as 16 pounds (7.3 kg). The aftermarket products produced to support these kits is a thriving cottage industry and the remaining kits that are unassembled are a rare item. Often cherished, traded, and handed down these do exist today and are available through collector channels.

Hornby and Pocher

After the Lima group went into bankruptcy the Pocher brand was bought by Hornby in 2004. In December 2012 Hornby announced the "resurgence of a myth" on the official website of Pocher. An official presentation was held on the Nuremberg International Toy Fair on 30 January 2013. Pocher presented the new 1:8 model kit of the Lamborghini Aventador.

Pocher – Lamborghini Aventador 1:8 LP 700-4 - Arancio Argos

Pocher website

Aventador-0001.jpg

I was surprised to read that the Aventador would be produced and after waiting for nearly a year the model was finally available.

My model was bought second hand – the owner was moving house and needed money. The box contents were untouched.

It’s been a while, actually several years, since I put together a scale model and I decided to see if I would be able to add working lights in this model. So first step was to get myself immersed in the world of electronics, LEDs, SMDs, soldering and what not. Suffice to say I messed up quite a few SMDs.

They’re extremely small and need 2 wires to be soldered to them.

In the mean time I tried in vain to find out how to get indicator lights working and work out how to put together a wiring loom.
Through an electronics forum I found someone willing to help me with a circuit board containing a programmed chip and remote control. Turns out the guy was employed by the same company that I work for. He’s happy to help me out doing the ‘computer’ stuff so it’s up to me to actually add the lights.

So now it’s April and I’ve taken a week off to start this build. I suspect it’s going to be a very long process but here’s a couple of pictures of my slow progress so far. Don’t expect daily updates though if you decide to subscribe to this thread.

The box is a whopping 73/53/36 cm in size and weighs a tonne.

Aventador-0002.jpg

The parts.

Aventador-0003.jpg

Finished model.

Aventador-0005.jpg

Carpeting (mod) and seat tubs.

Aventador-0009.jpg

Interior light wiring

Aventador-0010.jpg

Roof lining (mod)

Aventador-0011.jpg

Aventador-0012.jpg

Central dashboard

Aventador-0014.jpg

22 fibre optics (mod) - if you look carefully you can see natural light coming through to light up the switches.

Last edited:
I would have used flocking? I think that's what it's called, for the carpet. Comes in a little tube at hobby stores.

I used to dream of getting one of those Classic kits but never had the ready cash for one. eBay is crammed with kits that folks started and gave up on. I've seen some that had ALL THE PARTS SCATTERED ABOUT, like anybody is gonna tackle that.

Best I've been able to manage is a few Tamiya F-1 and motorcycle kits. (Unfortunately, many of the images are missing from that old thread, because Imageshack SUX!!!!

Flock? Like they use for grass on model railways? That could work.

That is an impressive kit and I'm sure you'll have a tremendous amount of fun and frustration in equal measures during the build but what a feeling it will be when you put the last pieces in place.

Good luck with it, it'll be interesting to see how things go.

Would love to see some of those older models like the Alfas and Bugattis from back in the day. I'm going to check on line actually because I've always wanted a Boattail or Type 59 of some sort and I know I'll only ever afford one at model prices.

Pocher models are awesome. I would never build one as it's a bit too daunting for me.
Flocking would work, but at this scale I think it might be simpler just using fabric. It's such a big scale it shouldn't be too difficult to cut out the shapes and the thickness isn't a problem.

Doesn't look that much more complicated than a normal Tamiya or Revell model.

Yeah, a Caterham 7 Tamiya model I built a while back was much harder than this because you had to build it exactly as how you would build the real kit car down to the engine cogs and all the bolts. This looks simpler but is still a nice looking model reminds me of the Revel Mustang level of difficulty.

I've been soldering SMD LED's for a model recently. Absolute nightmare as they are like 2mm in size.

Seats painted orange and added to interior.

Aventador-0015.jpg

Airbox painted and put together.
Aventador-0017.jpg

Added wiring to air box. What a drama that was. First you put together the air box only to find out that in te next step you need to add these wires and there is no space left to make it happen. Took me an hour but it's done. :D

Aventador-0018.jpg

Next up is sorting out the engine and gearbox. Alclad aluminium, Metallic back (Zero paints) and gold was added to fuel lines. Not the original colour but wanted it to stand out a bit.
When all was done added a coat of Alclad Clear sheen.

Aventador-0019.jpg

Aventador-0020.jpg

Finally a dry fit of engine and air box.

Aventador-0021.jpg

Sparkplug leads etc still to be attached. Next step is to paint exhaust system.

Most of the time it cleaning the airbrushes. :(

Last edited:
Are the interior pieces plastic and the exterior body metal? Are there other parts made of other materials?

Looks like a good amount of work/fun and incredible detail. Keep us updated! 👍

Started throwing some liquid containers in to the rear section.
Added some wiring (mod)
Aventador-0022.jpg

Applied 'leather' to steering wheel, door panels and bottom of the dashboard.
Cut out the instrument section in dashboard to redo the dial section so I could light it from behind (mod)
Aventador-0025.jpg

Seating section with LED installed and wiring
Aventador-0026.jpg

Engine, breathing apparatus and exhausts dry fitted next to a 1:18 scale Aventador
Aventador-0028.jpg

Applied several colours to exhaust.
Dry fit engine parts.
Aventador-0030.jpg

Last edited:
That is looking all kinds of awesome, @AMG.!

Side note - my son saw me looking at this thread right after you started it so I showed him the first couple of pics. The next day he asked if you'd posted any more. Guess he's kind of interested, too! :lol:

TB
That is looking all kinds of awesome, @AMG.!

Side note - my son saw me looking at this thread right after you started it so I showed him the first couple of pics. The next day he asked if you'd posted any more. Guess he's kind of interested, too! :lol:
Nice to hear but it's gonna be slow progress. :D

Adding wiring and oil pipes etc (mods) WIP.
Aventador-0031.jpg

Dashboard etc added to interior
Aventador-0034.jpg

Increased thickness of the seatbelt clamp thingy (mod)
Aventador-0035.jpg

Heat shielding (mod)
Aventador-0036.jpg

Interior - awaiting metal decal for steering wheel - have been waiting for >1 month :(
Aventador-0038.jpg

Wiring
Aventador-0039.jpg

Carbon fibre struts (carbon = mod) and bare metal foil endings. In the background yellow suspension rubber stop. (mod)
Would you believe it if I told you they're actually fake food pellets for catching fish. They make perfect rubber stops.
Aventador-0041.jpg

My "garage"
Aventador-0042.jpg

Paintbooth with compressor underneath
Aventador-0043.jpg

Various screws and bolts etc.
Aventador-0044.jpg

I'm awaiting a DVD with reference photos etc so I can add more plumbing to the engine and other sections of the car. Scouring the web for ultra thin rubber hoses 0.5mm - 3mm, braided hoses, braided sleeving but either the diameters are too big or they charge you over the top prices for 50cm tubing.
Such a shame that Pocher doesn't add this stuff BUT it does add more fun to come up with ideas how to improve the "Bburago-like" quality of this model.

Last edited:
Although I hate to say it out loud I think it's partly/mostly true. At least the inside of the hoods and doorsills are painted but if you compare the details to e.g. a 1:18 CMC the Pocher has a long way to go. Thankfully there will be a trans kit available and I'm eagerly awaiting it and hopefully for a reasonable price. But I may be finished by then. But there's a spyder coming out in Q4 so .... we'll see :D

Last edited:
Just a quick text update only. I found a DVD on ebay by a fellow modeller. This DVD contains hundreds of pictures how to modify the car. Adding oil lines, fuel lines and god knows how much other stuff to add to take it out of "Bburago" quality.

So what I've done so far is now deconstructed and I'm slowly building up the model again adding all that stuff to the model. Suffice to say that the due date (not that there ever was one) has now been pushed further in to the future.

To give you a glimpse of what I need to do.

Scratch build these oil lines - still can't find light grey shrink tubing, black, red, yellow, blue, green, green/yellow Yeah sure but grey :(

Pics - courtesy of Paul Koo.

Oil (2).jpg

Oil (3).jpg

Oil (30).jpg

Oil (46).jpg

Last edited:
Back