Poll : GTP Music Cool Wall - U2Music 

Poll : GTP Music Cool Wall - U2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because I am a musician too I believe you have fallen in the trap of appreciating more the energy and effort of a musician as opposed to the end result. What the listener will get. Indeed Bono is not Mercury and The Edge is not Satriani, both of which combine musicanship and substance, but what ultimately matters, the songs, are far above the average pub band you make it to be.

You have to take things into face-value letting aside some conceptions that will come naturally from the standpoint of a musician, like Bono being out of tune or The Edge a one trick pony. For instance I was listening to The city of blinding lights and thinking how the same song handed as sheet music to fine musicians of a conservatoire would sound nothing alike. Many details, nuances and timbres were combined and nailed and in the end make the song let alone the, in my opinion, brilliant composition. Same goes for With or without you, and its outro more so, One and so on. The 4-note arpeggio of Where the streets have no name is so simple yet The Edge came up with it and executed it in the way he did, who cares if you play it without delay and modulation it sounds basic? Only "musicians".

Refrain from being a "musician" and become a musician.

refrain from accepting popular mediocrity as something special.

also, even though Bono uses his stage name, close family and friends also refer to him as Bono, including his wife and fellow band members.....uber prick.....

So, people who go by a different name than what is on their birth certificate are pricks? Then my friend Nick is a major prick.

U2 is mind-numbing boring

Couldn't have said it better. Their sounds is just so FREAKING lame. I can't find a single thing on their entire catalogue that I would call a good song save for maybe something in "Pop", and that is not U2 by far.

I hope they all get run over by a steamroller, but just retiring would make me happy.

Because I am a musician too I believe you have fallen in the trap of appreciating more the energy and effort of a musician as opposed to the end result. What the listener will get. Indeed Bono is not Mercury and The Edge is not Satriani, both of which combine musicanship and substance, but what ultimately matters, the songs, are far above the average pub band you make it to be.

Firstly, I'm not actually a fan of people like Satriani, vai or gilbert... Might seem hard to believe, but i'm not. As for the songs, again this is down to their songwriting... I've already said I don't like their songs, but due to the number of fans they have, they must be doing something right. I just personally don't like their music. And for the record, I can think of several pub bands I would much rather see live than U2.

AlexGTV
You have to take things into face-value letting aside some conceptions that will come naturally from the standpoint of a musician, like Bono being out of tune or The Edge a one trick pony. For instance I was listening to The city of blinding lights and thinking how the same song handed as sheet music to fine musicians of a conservatoire would sound nothing alike. Many details, nuances and timbres were combined and nailed and in the end make the song let alone the, in my opinion, brilliant composition. Same goes for With or without you, and its outro more so, One and so on. The 4-note arpeggio of Where the streets have no name is so simple yet The Edge came up with it and executed it in the way he did, who cares if you play it without delay and modulation it sounds basic? Only "musicians".

Refrain from being a "musician" and become a musician.

Look, I've already given U2 a fair chance... Why do people not understand this? The edge is a one trick pony. Simple as. I don't like their songs, I don't like them as musicians. I just plain don't like them and no amount of "ooh, they play for the band" or " It's how you use the effects" will change my mind...

Fact: The edge is an average guitarist at best. People who don't know jack **** about the guitar think he is good, purely because they don't know what they are talking about. And for the record, I do listen to bands who're not very technical. I just (for the 1000,000th time) hate U2, and nothing will change that.

Drift260Z
refrain from accepting popular mediocrity as something special.

You speak the truth.

So, people who go by a different name than what is on their birth certificate are pricks? Then my friend Nick is a major prick.

what you may not realize is "Bono Vox" is taken from "Bonavox", a Latin phrase which translates to "good voice." It is said he was nicknamed "Bono Vox" by his friend Gavin Friday. Bono first disliked the name, but when he found out it loosely translated to "good voice", he accepted it. that's why it's prickish. it comes off way too narcissistic.

thanks F1 Fan. how people have accepted regular, but well marketed, ******** as something amazing has been pissing me off for years.

what you may not realize is "Bono Vox" is taken from "Bonavox", a Latin phrase which translates to "good voice." It is said he was nicknamed "Bono Vox" by his friend Gavin Friday. Bono first disliked the name, but when he found out it loosely translated to "good voice", he accepted it. that's why it's prickish. it comes off way too narcissistic.

thanks F1 Fan. how people have accepted regular, but well marketed, ******** as something amazing has been pissing me off for years.

Well, my friend uses the name "Nick", as in "Nickname". He uses is because it is THE nickname; the one that sets the standard for all other nicknames. He is such a prick. :P

But seriously, you may not agree with other people's musical preferences. But bottom line, we all need to respect other's opinions.

yea, then that's pretty prickish. when it comes to music, if it's a person that really knows how to play an instrument and understands what good music is, I wouldn't be having this discussion with them about U2. but if the opinion belongs to a person who just likes music but has nothing to do with it. it's like a person who just drives a car to work and back telling Tom Kristensen that Audi doesn't make good racing cars.

[...]and understands what good music is[...]

Even the worst music for a person's tastes will have those who enjoy it. You cannot "understand" what good music is. Just reckognize it according to background, culture, social environment and age.

Ditto. We are not alone. ;)

astrosdude91
But seriously, you may not agree with other people's musical preferences. But bottom line, we all need to respect other's opinions.

So you can understand why I got annoyed when, after explaining in detail why I didn't like U2, some people thought "he can't have heard this song" or "He may not like Bono's politics". The point of the forum is to share opinions. That wasn't directed at you astros, I just liked the way you summarised ;) . Plus you're a Vettel fan 👍

AlexGTV
Even the worst music for a person's tastes will have those who enjoy it. You cannot "understand" what good music is. Just reckognize it according to background, culture, social environment and age.

I agree with the first sentence, but my background has nothing to do with my musical choice. The music I like, I just stumbled upon on my own.

AlexGTV
I'm guessing you like music for musicians.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I do like "music for musicians", but I have a broad taste in music and alot of the music I listen to is quite basic. In other words, I don't just listen to virtuoso's. I'm currently introducing a girl I know to some music. She's quite surprised by the breadth of my tastes in music.

Back