19bxa9emzdydcjpg.jpg
19bxabnjfd9o6jpg.jpg
19bxac3bnjzyrjpg.jpg
19bxad8r39xhvjpg.jpg
19bxadmkho4sojpg.jpg
19bxafxfsn0qqjpg.jpg
19bxagd7yp81mjpg.jpg
19bxaharkeaaojpg.jpg

If you are thinking this is your typical 968 Turbo S, think again. Mr. Lloyd Hawkins, then owner of the prototype 968 Turbo RS s/n 820065 and the owner of Rennsport Porsche in Louisiana wanted nothing less than a road going version of his 968 Turbo RS prototype.

In collaboration with Porsche Motorsport North America and Porsche Motorsport in Germany, the trio of experts went to work on Mr. Hawkins wish. When they were finished, they created a true one off beast! If ever there was a "Wolf in Sheep's clothing", this is it.

Able to produce over 500 horsepower at the wheels from it's 3.0 liter 4 cylinder engine at 26 psi or about 1.75 bar, with a quick change to racing "slick tires", this car would be at home on any race track, or by simply switching back to "street tires", you could set the cruise control on for a long journey down the interstate.

While the project was no doubt expensive, costing over $200,000 dollars and over 1800 man hours to complete, the project was a huge success! NO detail was overlooked. Carrillo "H-Beam" connecting rods were used, along with Mahle pistons, an actual 968 Turbo RS 3.0 liter racing engine block, ARP studs, three angle valve cuts, "O" ringed heads, stainless steel brake lines, 964 Turbo S brakes with ABS, adjustable coil over springs with Bilstein shocks, adjustable sway bars, carbon fiber clutch, 968 Turbo RS G44/01 transmission with limited slip differential, and that is just to name a few, all the correct parts to go racing with are present and accounted for.

Inside the car however, it features many comfort amenities, such as heated leather Porsche sport seats, Porsche/Alpine Hi-Fi stereo system with 6 disc changer, power steering, front airbags, rear foldable seats, full lightweight carpet (without sound deadening material) throughout, air conditioning, removable/tilting sunroof, power windows, power rear window wiper and even a fully functioning adjustable rear wing to add or remove downforce at the rear of the car as needed.

This 968 Turbo RS really embodies the "best of both worlds"' and in some ways pays homage to the great racing cars of the past. The racing cars that could truly be driven to the track to compete, and then be driven home again. It is, without question, one of Mr. Drendel's favorite street cars. He was once quoted as saying, "For me, this car is much more fun to drive than my 959 Sport. With a perfect 50/50 weight distribution, once I got my set up dialed in just right within the suspension, there isn't anything else I would do to change this car, I don't know how it could possibly get any better."

That is high praise indeed! http://oppositelock.kinja.com/porsche-968-turbo-rs-road-version-1497143854

Latest Posts

Back