Assetto Corsa in VRPC 

• Thread starter r3b3ld3
  • 511 comments
Been fiddling with my new (to me) G2. Very impressive!
With OpenXR tool and Open Composite, the performance and the clarity is more than I thought would be possible in VR.
Quite the experience.
AC looks marvelous, even ACC is better than ever, really playable in VR at last!
One question about AC, I cannot reach the outside right, to get the pop up menu, I had no issue with the Rift, what am I doing wrong?
Been a while but theres an option in CSP. I also found setting the resolution in video settings for your pancake screen seems to change the menu resolutions in vr. 1080p seems about right for me.

Been fiddling with my new (to me) G2. Very impressive!
With OpenXR tool and Open Composite, the performance and the clarity is more than I thought would be possible in VR.
Quite the experience.
AC looks marvelous, even ACC is better than ever, really playable in VR at last!
Excellent news, glad you got it sorted for use with AC.
I assume CM doesn't close when you exit the track like it does for me?
That particular issue is ruining the experience for me.
Seems to be when CM tries to appear back on my monitor after displaying the VR mirror... which has just given me an idea about changing the VR mirror settings to see if that is the cause...

Edit: nope. Bah.

Last edited:
I assume CM doesn't close when you exit the track like it does for me?
No, it does not. actually, now, everything runs better than with the CV1.
When exiting the track, it goes back to the cliff house, and CM is available on the desk top there.
Using Steam VR, nothing was working, as soon as I switched to Open Composite, magic, all worked as intended.
I have no doubt, there is something interfering in your config and you will figure it out. By the way, my G2 is the V1.
Thank you again for the recommendation.

Last edited:
No, it does not. actually, now, everything runs better than with the CV1.
When exiting the track, it goes back to the cliff house, and CM is available on the desk top there.
Using Steam VR, nothing was working, as soon as I switched to Open Composite, magic, all worked as intended.
I have no doubt, there is something interfering in your config and you will figure it out. By the way, my G2 is the V1.
Thank you again for the recommendation.
What exactly do you mean when you say "When exiting the track, it goes back to the cliff house, and CM is available on the desk top there"?
When I exit the track (all in VR), the cliff house appears, then the screen goes blank and the WMR music plays, then the cliff house loads again. In the meantime, CM has closed down.
Do you get this 'double loading' of the cliff house? I have a feeling that this might be related to my issue.

BTW, if you haven't done so already, use the OpenXR Toolkit Companion App as recommended by @Pekkahe and change the OpenXR Toolkit menu navigation buttons to something that's actually sensible. I can now access the menu in-game simply by pressing down on the arrow key, then navigate the menus with the rest of the arrow keys with Shift as the acceleration modifier. It can all be done by feel with one hand in VR. No idea why the default menu navigation is so obtuse.

spoke to him and he will look into it when he has a moment. sounds like hes busy atm so might be a little while

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so I spent a few hours and tested all the options in VR.

FSR vs Singlepass etc etc

For us on Reverb G2 with a 3080 or more you can have insane clear visuals. Like monitor levels with amazing fps. Its so clear now. @Ken134 your 4090 will allow for you to go even higher.

everything still applies to other users. if your VR HMD has a lower resolution than the G2 or your card is lower than a 3080 simply change the forced resolution setting under step 5.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1

So first you will need OpenComposite to replace SteamVR which is a resource hog and pants.

Download here: https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/runtimeswitcher.php?branch=openxr

Unzip it to a folder of your choosing, and run OpenComposite.exe. Click 'Switch to OpenComposite', and wait while the DLLs are downloaded. Games will now run via OpenComposite rather than SteamVR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2

You will now need OpenXR toolkit which will allow you force increased resolution, change post processing and do CAS sharpening directly.

Download it here:

Once installed start Content Manager

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 3

In content manager go to Settings --> Assetto Corsa ----> Video

Copy these settings: (ignore fps counter i was testing big grid of million poly cars for a prject, these settings are 90 locked for me)

Yes, as well documented, turning off post processing doubles your frames and makes everything look better and cleaner. You still have rain, all the CSP benefits, weather control etc etc.

The only downside was tail lights wouldnt show but this seems to be fixed within the latest CSP (at least for me)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 4

Use this custom shaders preset Ive made and attached at the bottom of this post (remove .txt so the file is vr.ini)

Place this file within here:

xxxxx:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\AcTools Content Manager\Presets\Custom Shaders Patch Presets

Its setup for the latest CSP and I have no loading errors or any issues.

Make sure its loaded up.

Step 5

Now start a session in VR and once on track press ctrl+F2

This will bring up the openxr toolkit. The buttons to navigate should be shown. Its a combination of ctrl + f1, f2 or f3

First go the menu tab and make sure show expret settings is set to yes.

Now the settings for each tab are:

Performance

Overlay : FPS (for testing, you can turn it off once happy)
Upscaling/Sharpening: OFF or CAS @ 70% sharpness (your choice)
Fixed Foveated Rendering: Custom
Inner resolution: 1x
Inner ring size: 55%
Middle resolution: 1/4
Outer ring size: 80%
Outer resolution: 1/16
Prefer Reolution: Horizontal
Horizontal Scale: 150%
Vertical Offset: 15%
Turbo Mode (experimental): On
Frame rate throttling: Off
Record Statistics: No
High rate statistics: No

Appearance

Post processing: On ( now turn the saturation down to around 40% for personal preferance for more realism)
World scale: 110% seems to be the sweet spot. (personal choice again but the default 100% world scale is too small. Ive checked a 330mm steering wheel in game and real life and 110% seems about bang on)

Input

Nothing to change here

System

Overide Resolution: Yes
Display resolution Per eye: 4200 x ????? (whatever number it gives I cant recall just make sure first number is 4200. @Ken134 your 4090 will allow you to go much higher than my 3080. Im getting 90 locked with large grids in rain etc. theoretically you should be able to go 6k per eye +. Youll have to test the benefit or leave at 4200 and enjoy the performance buffer)
Motion Reperojection: Default
Colour Gains: Peronal preferance. I go red 50, green 50, blue 52
Field of view: Simple 100x
Zoom 1.0x

Now enjoy!
@lorelord thanks very much for this guide, it's been extremely useful.
It might be worth adding the OpenXR Toolkit Companion App as a recommendation, not only to make menu navigation a LOT easier but also for the other options it adds.

Regarding your settings above, you say to leave Field Of View at 100%, but I have found that with my IPD (maxed on the headset slider) and standard face gasket I can reduce this to ~80% - 85% before noticing any reduction or 'squaring off' of the scuba mask view in the headset. If this works like the similar option in the Oculus VR Performance Kit (and I strongly suspect it does) then it'll mean you are no longer rendering a LOT of perimeter pixels that can't be seen anyway, giving another sizeable performance boost. Definitely worth experimenting with.

Do you get this 'double loading' of the cliff house?
No double loading, when it comes back, the cliff house desktop is where I left it when entering the game in VR, it is asleep and wakes up when I click the mouse on it, then my desktop, with CM right there on it, is available.
No idea why the default menu navigation is so obtuse
Yes, thank you, I changed the F keys for the arrow keys, all good.

@lorelord thanks very much for this guide, it's been extremely useful.
It might be worth adding the OpenXR Toolkit Companion App as a recommendation, not only to make menu navigation a LOT easier but also for the other options it adds.

Regarding your settings above, you say to leave Field Of View at 100%, but I have found that with my IPD (maxed on the headset slider) and standard face gasket I can reduce this to ~80% - 85% before noticing any reduction or 'squaring off' of the scuba mask view in the headset. If this works like the similar option in the Oculus VR Performance Kit (and I strongly suspect it does) then it'll mean you are no longer rendering a LOT of perimeter pixels that can't be seen anyway, giving another sizeable performance boost. Definitely worth experimenting with.
yes depending on your IPD, shape of face etc. the Field of View may not be effected by any reduction. I was running 90% horizontal by 90% vertical but after switching back to 100% I could notice the increased FOV quite a bit. Weirdly reducing the FOV does add a greater sense of realism as its almost like wearing a helmet albeit one from the 70's/80's.

Last edited:
After a few days with the G2, very happy with the head set, very happy with Open Composite and Open XR tool, even if I do not have access to foveated settings with my GTX 1080ti, very happy with the WMR cliff house and all, except for one thing.
Please, tell me there is a way to stop the virtual keyboard to pop up when navigating CM menu. Please!!!! :cheers:

Edit what do you guys think of this video.

I tried the recommendations and quite like it.

Last edited:
@Masscot, any news on your progress with the G2? I am having so much fun with my new VR, partly because of your kind recommendation, that I hope you can enjoy your goggles as much as I do.

I found this post here as I am trying to understand the whole OpenXR/Open composite enchiladas.
"It drives me a bit nuts how people throw around the words and mixing stuff up adding more to the confusion. Let's try to clear this up:

- VR runtimes and VR APIs -

SteamVR can do OpenVR and OpenXR.
Oculus can do LibOVR and OpenXR.
Windows Mixed Reality can do WMR and OpenXR. (Microsoft couldn't find an additional name to distinguish between their VR runtime and VR API) :P

1. DCS now talks OpenXR
2. Before the latest patch DCS could only talk OpenVR (SteamVR's native VR API) and LibOVR (Oculus's native VR API).
3. DCS never could talk WMR, the Windows Mixed Reality API by Microsoft (Sadly HP chose WMR as main VR runtime for the Reverb series, here starts most of the trouble...).
4. Microsoft made a very bad "WMR for SteamVR plugin" so that WMR headset owners would be at least able to play VR games over SteamVR and it's OpenVR API because nobody really made VR games for WMR. This WMR plugin is basically a very underpaid translator, talking OpenVR to WMR, a bad choice of middleman software for popular headsets like HP's Reverb series.
5. So for DCS that means - it talked OpenVR to the WMR for SteamVR plugin wich translated everything to WMR. This wasn't working very well. Thank you Microsoft (good that they now finally stopped this). So OpenComposite came in for the rescue. It translates everything from DCS to OpenXR, the only other VR API that WMR understands. And OpenComposite put a lot of tuning options into it to compensate WMR performance troubles. It is the better translator.
6. OpenXR was developed by Khronos Group to end this mess - One API for ALL!
7. Guess what, SteamVR can also natively talk OpenXR. Oculus can also natively talk OpenXR.
8. OpenComposite is not OpenXR. Sadly a lot of people, mostly HP Reverb owners, refer to OpenComposite as OpenXR. That's not correct. It's also unfair to blame SteamVR for having bad performance if you plug a WMR headset to it via the inferior "WMR for SteamVR plugin".
9. For DCS now everything is about to change!

SteamVR native HMD -->
Oculus native HMD --> OpenXR --> DCS
WMR native HMD -->

No more translators needed, finally. Each VR runtime has OpenXR included for quite some time already. If you have a myriad of VR tweaks installed, especially if you were going the OpenComposite route, just start fresh. Step by Step. In the coming months a lot is going to change. Most guides are already deprecated now. Especially for DCS and VR and HP Reverb owners.

(And no, DCS bought on Steam doesn't mean you have to use SteamVR. Steam as a shop and SteamVR as a system component are completely different things. You can now use DCS standalone or DCS from Steam with every VR runtime that is compatible with your VR HMD.)
"
Is using Open Composite still the best way to go, particularly with G2?

Last edited:
btw I was forced to go back to SteamVR crap, after I had a trouble using OpenXR toolkit. First I noticed that the whole Steam theater mode was luckily not showing up only now worser a 💩steam library screen while being in the game that you can not push away. Sure there must be some hidden adjustment but why not remove this at default.
With the OpenXR toolkit, no unnecessary screen, no keyboard is blocking your VRview and most important I can stay always in VR without the need to remove the headset. All very logical I would say.

Last edited by a moderator:
just a quick update on my Reverb G2 V2 experience. After a short period of adaptation in coming to grip with a non Oculus head set, the clarity, performance and ease of use of the Reverb is quite impressive.
AC never looked better, but not just AC, all my sims are very nice on the G2.
I run Open Composite with OpenXR tool, CAS 100%. Very sharp and efficient.
One little thing, I have not figured out yet, and it is not a big deal, just an annoyance really, when navigating in CM, the VR keyboard keeps popping up, blocking the view. I wish their was away to keep the VR keyboard dormant.

No open composite, no buy! :lol:
I wonder why he couldn't get OpenXR working? I agree, this could be a deal breaker for many.
There always seems to be at least one significant issue with every headset. Meta need to bring out a DP version of the Q3 to win the battle once and for all... for a couple of years at least.

anyone here using the DPVR E4 Black ?

Thinking about this one for upgrade from a Quest3 - as it has DP going for it...

BUT I use the Oculus POV trick (setting only 0.8; 0.4 FOV greatly increases the headroom and gives the feeling of wearing a helmet, so a big win-win ) and with my 3070ti I fear if that POV trick can't be applied on the DPVR software, I will not achieve better visuals and overall experience on that one, compared to the Q3...

Cheers all!

Jac, are you sure on the headset
hi ,
I am asking about the newer version (the "E4 Black" , released in April this year) which is supposed to be better then the v1 E4 (the one you linked)...
Here is a review by MRTV on it. And here a video from Simracing604 on this headset.
But have not seen any through the lens and/or with an AC specific review. I asked Tyriel Wood , hopefully he will make one.

In mean time I was wondering if anyone here already bought it and can share their experiences with it (esp w AC).

Cheers!

Last edited:
hi ,
I am asking about the newer version (the "E4 Black" , released in April this year) which is supposed to be better then the v1 E4 (the one you linked)...
Here is a review by MRTV on it. And here a video from Simracing604 on this headset.
But have not seen any through the lens and/or with an AC specific review. I asked Tyriel Wood , hopefully he will make one.

In mean time I was wondering if anyone here already bought it and can share their experiences with it (esp w AC).

Cheers!
I'd never even heard of this headset before. Not even the previous 'white' version.
Once again, HMD developers can't help borking their own products. This could have been fantastic, but no IPD adjustment and no pancake lenses in 2024 are crazy decisions.
I guess if you do have an IPD around 64mm and want a DP HMD for sim racing/flying then it could be worth considering, but I think I'd lean towards PSVR2 with the PC adapter over this in its current form. Prices seem to be about the same.

Anyone here has tried Pure 2.0?
Is it improving the performances? Does it look Better?
I am so happy with my present G2 experience, running often without PP, that I am a little reluctant to change anything and jinx it.

Last edited:
My question is about Pure 2.0, which as I understand it, is the latest Pure.

from Peter (here)
"Pure Gamma is way ahead of Sol and now Pure LCS is ahead of Pure Gamma.
Both Pure version have fluid frame generation and they don't produce memory leaks and microstutter.

And like the names says Pure Gamma uses the CSP gamma shaders (like old AC) and Pure LCS uses the new LCS shaders.

Also Pure LCS has a completelly different code base. Its a fork of the default wfx, but i changed and optimized many things and integrate all the Pure stuff like skydomes and its shaders, but with a much more optimized code.

So Pure LCS is Pure 2.0"

Last edited:
I suppose technically the LCS should be better but a lot of people say the colours and darkness is not correct but you can change the settings and use different PP filters. May take up a lot of time to get it right. I still fiddling with Pure Gamma.

I use a G2 and am very happy with it in general. So i downloaded Pure 2.0.
i have mixed feelings using the new LCS system. I do see the difference, it feels like a more realistic lighting with more reflections and i do like it.
However, there is a hit on fps which removes my clarity if i reduce my rendering. I have tried many filters including the Pure filters and have not been able to recover my fps.
Am i the only one getting a few seconds of flashing when i first enter the game?
Also turning my head on some tracks adjusts the amount of light or brightness so i feel it is still a bit glitchy and have reverted back to gamma for the time being which runs faultless.

I use a G2 and am very happy with it in general. So i downloaded Pure 2.0.
i have mixed feelings using the new LCS system. I do see the difference, it feels like a more realistic lighting with more reflections and i do like it.
However, there is a hit on fps which removes my clarity if i reduce my rendering. I have tried many filters including the Pure filters and have not been able to recover my fps.
Am i the only one getting a few seconds of flashing when i first enter the game?
Also turning my head on some tracks adjusts the amount of light or brightness so i feel it is still a bit glitchy and have reverted back to gamma for the time being which runs faultless.
Yes I’m stopping on gamma for the moment. It was the same going from Sol to Pure.

I definitely prefer the new LCS shaders now that skydomes and sun blinding have been added.

The LCS lighting and shaders looks more complex to me . When I go back and try the Gamma shaders the lighting looks more basic to my eyes

The LCS shaders look better at lower sun angles to me , especially the shading on trees in the distance . In general the lighting looks more natural.

Maybe the QLED panels in my Crystal light highlight it more due to the wider colour gamut than on most VR headsets .

I also noticed a nice performance boost with Peter's new update.

I definitely prefer the new LCS shaders now that skydomes and sun blinding have been added.

The LCS lighting and shaders looks more complex to me . When I go back and try the Gamma shaders the lighting looks more basic to my eyes

The LCS shaders look better at lower sun angles to me , especially the shading on trees in the distance . In general the lighting looks more natural.

Maybe the QLED panels in my Crystal light highlight it more due to the wider colour gamut than on most VR headsets .

I also noticed a nice performance boost with Peter's new update.
I agree with all you said apart from the performance boost. how are you getting the boost?

I agree with all you said apart from the performance boost. how are you getting the boost?
I noticed when using the performance monitor in AC the CPU and GPU frame times are flatter , because my frame rate is locked at 90 in VR I obviously don't see any frame rate increase.
I can run at 120fps with some minor tweaks with some cars and track mods that aren't to demanding

Back