Possible vehicle purchase. *update*The 2000 BMW 323i is out!

• Thread starter JCE
  • 63 comments

JCE

Germany
Little Elm, TX
JCE3000GT
*updated 08-14-2007*

Below are the insurance rates of some of the vehicles I'm looking at. And I've revised the car list to what I can afford in both insurance premiums and actual car price.

INSURANCE RATES FOR ME

Year -- Car -- Symbol -- 6 month premium price -- monthly payment
1997 Honda Prelude -- 20 -- $909.50 -- $151.53/mo
2002 Audi A4 1.8T -- 17 -- $932.50 -- $155.41/mo
2000 BMW 323i -- no symbol given (I'd estimate a 20~21) -- $1016.50 -- $169.41/mo
1999 Mustang GT -- 22 -- $1135.50 -- $189.25/mo
1992 Lexus SC400 -- 16 -- $599.50 -- $99.91/mo
1994 Lexus GS300 -- 21 - $1004.50 -- $167.41/mo
1994 BMW 530i -- 23 -- $882.50 -- $147.08/mo
1997 BMW Z3 -- 18 -- $954.50 -- $159.08/mo
2005 Ford Crown Vic -- 12 -- $949.50 -- $158.25/mo

======================================

1992-1995 Lexus SC300/400 (he says he has one about to be sent to his lot so this is probably what I'm getting)
1990-1996 Chevy Camaro (V8)
1990-1996 Pontiac Firebird/Trans-Am (V8)
1998-2000 Audi A4
1998-2000 Audi A6
1990-2000 Ford Mustang GT (V8)
1999-2005 Ford Crown Victoria (white, black, or dark grey)
1998-2002 Ford Contour SVT
1991-1994 Ford Taurus SHO
1998-2000 Volvo S40
1998-2000 Volvo S60
1995-1998 Nissan 200SX SE-R
1995-1999 Nissan Maxima SE
2000-2004 Lincoln LS

*edit*
Added the Taurus SHO.

*edit 2*
Re-added the Lincoln LS.

1) Great looking A4, and its at a car lot so that's a possibility. Plus, its black and a 5spd. That's perfect.
2) The Mustang GT is from a private seller, so the likelyhood of me making monthly payments is rather slim. Still, its a clean car with those Cobra rims.
3) As much as I love Nissans, the Altima is FWD and even then its the XE model which is the cheapest least equipped model.

Keep em coming. I might check out that A4 this weekend if its still there.

Automatic 323i = I'll skip it, thanks

At 160,000 miles, the suspension is toast unless it's been refreshed. That means new struts/springs all around, new lower control arms, new bushings. Not worth it for a moderately-powered autobox car.

I'm not partial to automatic versus a manual actually so I can live with it. So, the suspension should be looked at? I would of never thought of that. What's the cost you think of replacing all of those things? He's asking $9800 for it, what would you suggest I counter with? Or should I ask him to replace the suspension and still pay the $9800?

Any of the drivetrain components need to be heavily checked? Or can these things run forever? Thanks for your input.

No Lincolns? The LS is crying itself to sleep. Especially since you are considering a base model (read anemic), stupidly high mileage (read mechanical/electrical failures) and automatic (read even slower than it normally would be) BMW. For 10 grand that BMW better piss excellence instead of emissions.

You shouldn't.

Nah, JCE's much more responsible now - he had this same problem in the last car he got into as well but he's making decent money now and he's not going to let that happen again. Obviously his credit score doesn't reflect this change of heart and lifestyle, but it will soon. Don't be so quick to judge!

That dealer is smoking crack if he thinks that is a $9,800 car.

If he fixed the front bumper (at a BMW authorized body shop), it MIGHT be worth around $8,500. If the car is as clean as it looks in the pics, $8,900. Tops. Don't even consider it if he doesn't fix the bumper.

Duke is right about the suspension. It's not a BMW specific thing, but any car with that kind of mileage will need all the rubber in the suspension refreshed, and new springs and shocks. It's more important to DO in a BMW, because if you buy one, I assume you might care if it handled worth a damn. Otherwise, just buy a 20 year old Cadillac and float along to your heart's content.

Unless you want to refresh the suspension, I advise against this particular car if you care about the driving experience. At that age, all the bits that make a BMW great to drive is old and tired and you will wonder what the fuss is all about.

Refreshing the suspension (everything Duke listed) will run into 4 digits just for parts alone. IMO, the best thing to do with a car like this is to go aftermarket, instead of OEM. If you have to get OEM parts, get 330 ZHP bits instead of 323 peices. They're 95% interchangeable. You should also reinforce the subframe and RSM, since everything is apart anyway.

Prices off the top of my head, here's a quick parts breakdown.

OEM control arms ~$150/side
OEM tierods ~$35/side
Rear subframe bushing ~$30
UUC RSM ~$60/kit
UUC trailing arm bushing/kit ~$60
TMS front/rear subframe reinforcement kit ~$200
H&R/Bilstein street/sport kit (all 4 corners) ~$800
OEM motor/tranny mounts $???

Assuming a tech who is familiar with E46s, figure around 4-6 hours to do the work @ $100/hour. That's just a guesstimate on my part.. I don't have a shop manual and have never done it before. Add a 4 wheel alignment after its done. ~$100.

The powertrain is strong in that car. You should have no troubles any time soon. At that mileage, the AT would be the weak spot so if you have any trouble, that's where I would expect it.

Now you might be looking at this list thinking BMWs are crazy or something. Fact is, there isn't a sports car/sedan out there that doesn't need this type of work done at this high a mileage --if you want the car to drive and handle the way it did from the factory (or better).

Bottom line is it would be an investment to get this car to where it should be. But the aftermarket is very strong for the E46 and when you were done, you could have a car that will put a lot of smiles on your face.

If the idea of getting a BMW interests you, I suggest an E36 M3 (insurance is not as bad as you think), which you can buy all day long for under 10k. You can also probably find a 328i for the same price he is asking on this 323.

Personally, I wouldn't put this kind of money into a 323 this old unless I was building a track car. I've been thinking about getting an old E36 for just that type of work, though.

M

Nah, JCE's much more responsible now - he had this same problem in the last car he got into as well but he's making decent money now and he's not going to let that happen again. Obviously his credit score doesn't reflect this change of heart and lifestyle, but it will soon. Don't be so quick to judge!
My salary more than doubled a few months ago when I took my current job. Take my word: when you have more money, you just find more pointless crap to buy with it. When people come into money, their financial responsibility gets worse, not better. I'm traditionally a saver, but in the last two months, I've spent a ridiculous amount on toys. I'd like nothing more than to grab my checkbook and head to the Audi or BMW dealer. The temptation is unbearable. Even though I could afford the payments, insurance, and upkeep, it would be an incredibly foolish thing to do at this point in my life (especially since I just bought a new car in December). If I made another huge purchase, and the rug were pulled out from beneath me tomorrow, I'd be 🤬. In a couple years, I'll have settled in, and will be able to make money decisions with better perspective.

My salary more than doubled a few months ago when I took my current job. Take my word: when you have more money, you just find more pointless crap to buy with it. When people come into money, their financial responsibility gets worse, not better. I'm traditionally a saver, but in the last two months, I've spent a ridiculous amount on toys. I'd like nothing more than to grab my checkbook and head to the Audi or BMW dealer. The temptation is unbearable. Even though I could afford the payments, insurance, and upkeep, it would be an incredibly foolish thing to do at this point in my life (especially since I just bought a new car in December). If I made another huge purchase, and the rug were pulled out from beneath me tomorrow, I'd be 🤬. In a couple years, I'll have settled in, and will be able to make money decisions with better perspective.

Alas Kyle as much as I like you and adore your perspective on these and all issues, you aren't JCE. He really may have this mapped out better than you think, and he may be more financially responsible than you think he is. I truly understand your point, but in these cases it's probably best to let him figure these things out on his own. Presumably he would be wise enough not to overcommit at this point in his life particularly after the prior reposession.

Why would you exclude the A4 1.8T? In 2001 it had just as much power (170hp) as that ten-zillion-mile BMW you've got up there and it was probably quite a bit quicker.

I hate the A4 1.8T with a passion. They feel slow and anemic to me. Just my opinion.

Good looking car, however I called that car lot and they use banks for their financing--which = me not getting approved. :(

Here is a 2000 A6 2.7T pushing your turbo mileage limit (76k) but it's only $9000.

Saw that car yesterday. These guys won't finance unless you put $1,000 down and pay every week. I can't get into THAT kind of deal.

No Lincolns? The LS is crying itself to sleep.

The LS is definately on my list, but I ONLY want a black on black V8 or white on tan V8. Both of which are hard to find in my price range with less than 80k miles. :(

Especially since you are considering a base model (read anemic), stupidly high mileage (read mechanical/electrical failures) and automatic (read even slower than it normally would be) BMW. For 10 grand that BMW better piss excellence instead of emissions.

I understand that it isn't an M3. This car fit all of my criteria. I could care less if its 0-60 in 10 seconds honestly, my goal is to pay the next car off so I can start my Camaro project. Then when the Camaro is done fix up the second car. In the BMW's case interchange M3 bits, along with paying my arm and leg for a CSL drivetrain.

Appreciate the kind words. My financial situation has just changed so I'm able to address my transportation issue. My Camaro does have an assload of miles and still runs great for a car w/240k miles but I really need something a BIT more reliable incase I get transferred to a new location farther away.

I would go for a BMW but not that particular one. How about this one, similar but lower miles an seems in better condition.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ed=&search_lang=&model=&color=&ref=srl#vdptop

I like the 323 with the sport package, infact I like ANY BMW with the sport package. 👍

That dealer is smoking crack if he thinks that is a $9,800 car.

If he fixed the front bumper (at a BMW authorized body shop), it MIGHT be worth around $8,500. If the car is as clean as it looks in the pics, $8,900. Tops. Don't even consider it if he doesn't fix the bumper.

My problem is most car lots won't budge on BMW, Mercedes, or Audi pricing because SOMEONE will pay the asking price just BECAUSE they are a BMW/Merc/Audi. That is to my disadvantage.

Duke is right about the suspension. It's not a BMW specific thing, but any car with that kind of mileage will need all the rubber in the suspension refreshed, and new springs and shocks. It's more important to DO in a BMW, because if you buy one, I assume you might care if it handled worth a damn. Otherwise, just buy a 20 year old Cadillac and float along to your heart's content.

Unless you want to refresh the suspension, I advise against this particular car if you care about the driving experience. At that age, all the bits that make a BMW great to drive is old and tired and you will wonder what the fuss is all about.

Refreshing the suspension (everything Duke listed) will run into 4 digits just for parts alone. IMO, the best thing to do with a car like this is to go aftermarket, instead of OEM. If you have to get OEM parts, get 330 ZHP bits instead of 323 peices. They're 95% interchangeable. You should also reinforce the subframe and RSM, since everything is apart anyway.

Prices off the top of my head, here's a quick parts breakdown.

OEM control arms ~$150/side
OEM tierods ~$35/side
Rear subframe bushing ~$30
UUC RSM ~$60/kit
UUC trailing arm bushing/kit ~$60
TMS front/rear subframe reinforcement kit ~$200
H&R/Bilstein street/sport kit (all 4 corners) ~$800
OEM motor/tranny mounts $???

Assuming a tech who is familiar with E46s, figure around 4-6 hours to do the work @ $100/hour. That's just a guesstimate on my part.. I don't have a shop manual and have never done it before. Add a 4 wheel alignment after its done. ~$100.

The powertrain is strong in that car. You should have no troubles any time soon. At that mileage, the AT would be the weak spot so if you have any trouble, that's where I would expect it.

Now you might be looking at this list thinking BMWs are crazy or something. Fact is, there isn't a sports car/sedan out there that doesn't need this type of work done at this high a mileage --if you want the car to drive and handle the way it did from the factory (or better).

Bottom line is it would be an investment to get this car to where it should be. But the aftermarket is very strong for the E46 and when you were done, you could have a car that will put a lot of smiles on your face.

If the idea of getting a BMW interests you, I suggest an E36 M3 (insurance is not as bad as you think), which you can buy all day long for under 10k. You can also probably find a 328i for the same price he is asking on this 323.

Personally, I wouldn't put this kind of money into a 323 this old unless I was building a track car. I've been thinking about getting an old E36 for just that type of work, though.

M

Having a choice I'd prefer an E46 over an E36. E46's are my favorite 3-series. If I ever got a E46 coupe I'd turn it into a CSL clone once paid for.

Oh, never thought about an Outback. *adds to list* Those are awsome cars, I really like them. But, this one is at a regular car dealer and it has 85k miles which is too much for a turbo for me to want to own. Unless I got absolute proof that the previous owner had the turbo rebuilt.

I had a turn of bad luck earlier this year in terms of a car payment. The difference between then and now is job stability. My dad's a sales manager at a Ford dealer and they're already talking about promoting me again (for the second time) at the car wash to GM when the new store opens. I will have enough income to pay off a used $5000-10000 car in a year (or less). I'm also quite aware of things such as insurance, upkeep, and the like. This is where I feel that I have an advantage. I not only know what my limits are financially but I am an auto mechanic who knows other master auto mechanics. And as a bonus, I do have a running car. So if the one I buy craps out on me I do have emergency transportation.

Trust me if I wasn't thinking completely with my brain I'd go out and get something like a WS6 Trans-Am or a CLK430--or something with high insurance.

Alas Kyle as much as I like you and adore your perspective on these and all issues, you aren't JCE. He really may have this mapped out better than you think, and he may be more financially responsible than you think he is. I truly understand your point, but in these cases it's probably best to let him figure these things out on his own. Presumably he would be wise enough not to overcommit at this point in his life particularly after the prior reposession.

Again, thanks for the kind words. I do appreciate it. :) 👍

*edit*
Now on the topic at hand. My boss is about to get a new car and he has a 1997 Prelude 5spd that he would accept monthly payments on. I know this breaks a few rules but the car would only cost me $180/mo with a total buying price of $3800. It has 125k miles and only needs minor things like brakes, sparkplugs, air filter, A/C recharge, etc. My insurance would probably be lower than a BMW or Audi or whatnot. Just a thought...

Hey, I'm not the biggest fan of Japanese cars, but I'd take a 'Lude. It doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, and you know that once you fix them it probably won't break again (probably...). I'd check insurance rates first, but it sounds like a halfway decent idea...

Hey, I'm not the biggest fan of Japanese cars, but I'd take a 'Lude. It doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, and you know that once you fix them it probably won't break again (probably...). I'd check insurance rates first, but it sounds like a halfway decent idea...

If the insurance is cheap enough for full coverage (like less than $200/mo) I'll probably jump at the Prelude simply because its cheap reliable transportation that looks good.

I don't mean to preach; just sharing some experience :).

You gave your input, and in an adult mannor so I have no beef. Its all good.

I hate the A4 1.8T with a passion. They feel slow and anemic to me. Just my opinion.

Remember, a 20-horsepower bump was delivered for 2001 only. Truly - consider a 2001 model. The 150hp '97-'00 models ARE anemic - but a 2001 1.8T with the 170hp engine is considered by most B5 A4 owners to be the sportiest model that wasn't an S4 of the entire B5 generation.

Kyle
I don't mean to preach; just sharing some experience .

Experience, especially from someone who's been there, is always appreciated. You didn't come off preachy at all. 👍

JCE
Saw that car yesterday. These guys won't finance unless you put $1,000 down and pay every week. I can't get into THAT kind of deal.

Every week and $1k down on a $9k car? Seems odd but relatively reasonable as far as cash is concerned. You should have it paid off pretty soon and that's a very competent car - uses the same engine from that age's S4, you know.

Remember, a 20-horsepower bump was delivered for 2001 only. Truly - consider a 2001 model. The 150hp '97-'00 models ARE anemic - but a 2001 1.8T with the 170hp engine is considered by most B5 A4 owners to be the sportiest model that wasn't an S4 of the entire B5 generation.

...They must have loved it when VW bumped their output to 170 BHP in the better-looking B5.5 Passats...

If I ever got a E46 coupe I'd turn it into a CSL clone once paid for.

Can be done 90% correct with a regular M3 donor. I've seen a couple on the web. Difficult and expensive, though.

Forget about doing it with a regular coupe. It would end up costing more than buying a real one in Germany and paying to have it federalized.

*edit*Now on the topic at hand. My boss is about to get a new car and he has a 1997 Prelude 5spd that he would accept monthly payments on.

If you're going with a FWD anything, it may as well be one of the best FWDs ever, IMO. Gen 5 Prelude 👍 You should take it for a spin and see how you like it.

M

This car fit all of my criteria. I could care less if its 0-60 in 10 seconds honestly, my goal is to pay the next car off so I can start my Camaro project.
I know you don't care if it is slow and whatnot, but nearly 10 grand can buy you a whole lot more car than a BMW that was arguably overpriced when new and is probably on its last legs.

We'll agree to disagree. I feel the turbo lag from the A4 1.8T is the worst I've ever felt. I've driven super duty diesel pickup trucks that feel faster and have less turbo lag.

Every week and $1k down on a $9k car? Seems odd but relatively reasonable as far as cash is concerned. You should have it paid off pretty soon and that's a very competent car - uses the same engine from that age's S4, you know.

I can't do the every week thing mainly because I have other bills stuck at the begining and end of the month. Would be too difficult to balance my budget that way.

That looked EXACTLY like the one I used to own. TRUST ME, this is on my list. Nothing would wet my pants more than to nab one of these and throw an '03-04 Cobra drivetrain in it...GT500 be damned! 👍

Can be done 90% correct with a regular M3 donor. I've seen a couple on the web. Difficult and expensive, though.

Like $30,000 USD expensive?

Forget about doing it with a regular coupe. It would end up costing more than buying a real one in Germany and paying to have it federalized.

What's a REAL CSL run in Europe?

If you're going with a FWD anything, it may as well be one of the best FWDs ever, IMO. Gen 5 Prelude 👍 You should take it for a spin and see how you like it.

I plan on it, 5th gen Preludes are still probably my favorite Honda product. I haven't driven one I don't think. I'd love to stuff the Accord 3.0L V6 under the bonnet along with the 6spd manual tranny and call it a day. That would be great, at red lights if a ricer drove up next to me I'd say: "my VTEC has 2 more cylinders than YOUR VTEC!". Hah, that would own.

*edit*
Just called my insurance company and I'm having them check on 4 cars for me to see what the premiums would be. The four cars are:

2000 BMW 323i
1999 Ford Mustang GT
2002 Audi A4
1997 Honda Prelude

I'll post what the results are.

*edit 2*
THE RESULTS

2000 BMW 323i -- no symbol given (I'd estimate a 20~21) -- $1016.50 -- $169.41/mo
1990 Lexus SC400 -- 16 -- $599.50
1994 Lexus GS300 -- 21 - $1004.50
1994 BMW 530i -- 23 -- $882.50
1997 BMW Z3 -- 18 -- $954.50
2005 Ford Crown Vic -- 12 -- $949.50

Like $30,000 USD expensive?

Honestly, I'm not sure. There's a guy on bimmerforums.com that did a full cosmetic conversion... bumper, trunk lid, wheels, CF roof and full interior. I can't imagine what it cost just to get the cosmetic parts from Europe.

A real CSL also has unique steering rack, front suspension, significant rear suspension changes, not to mentioned different cams, intake and software... the list of changes is intensive. Not to mention brakes if you're not starting from an M3 ZCP.

I wouldn't hazard a guess on an exact number because I have no idea what the parts cost or if BMW will even sell them to someone over the counter.

What's a REAL CSL run in Europe?

Not sure. One of our continental EU members could tell us for sure, but I'd guess they're at least ~60k Euros considering they were pushing 90 new.

M

THE RESULTS

You see, that works out perfect because the Prelude is arguably the best car of that bunch (though I'd jump on the A4 first).

I'd argue that the Mustang or the 3-series is the best of the bunch--of the quoted cars. Too bad they are the most expensive--predictably. I knew already that the A4 was a 17 symbol. I asked for the V6 quote and she accidently quoted the I4. :indiff: The V6 is also an 17 I believe...or 16?

Not sure. One of our continental EU members could tell us for sure, but I'd guess they're at least ~60k Euros considering they were pushing 90 new.

M

Around about £35,000 for a CSL, so roughly $70,000 at the current exchange rates (and about 51,000 Euros), that was for a car with around 20k on the clock.

Regards

Scaff

If I ever get rich I'm definately importing one of those.

The insurance rates for various vehicles are in my first post.

Back