Possible vehicle purchase. *update*The 2000 BMW 323i is out!

• Thread starter JCE
  • 63 comments
Hey, reliability wasn't the problem with those things - it was the fact that they were underpowered, under-specced, overpriced, poor-handling, Dutch-built trash heaps which shared many components with a Mitsubishi generally regarded to be among the worst in the business.
Come now. It was good enough to build a Proton on...*snicker*

All 3-series are out for now. I either can't afford a good one or I can't afford the insurance. But, congrats on getting the new BMW! Pics!

Thanks!! Yeah depending on what time I get home from work on Friday I'll either have it then or Saturday, but I'm thinking saturday is more likely. I'm just wondering if I'll be one of those guys to start up a whole new thread (i.e. Perfect Balance) to show it off.

But in brief, 1994, black ext/int., manual, m3 bumper/side skirts, comes with an extra set of wheels w/snow tires. I'm the 4th owner, first guy leased it, 2nd was a bmw mechanic, 3rd bought it when he was 17 and owned it (and took great care of it) for 6 years until I got it. It has 140,000 miles which sure isn't low, but for a 14 yr old car is fair. And at $3,500 I can't complain!

$3500 is a decent deal. We have a few of those around here with around that price. I just can't afford the insurance...plus I don't trust any of these car lots to refurb a German (or Swedish) car.

*edit*
Anyone own a 5th gen Prelude? What all do I have to worry about or look for? On the one I'm probably buying tomorrow the owner had the timing done @ 60k miles at the Honda dealer so that's already done. Its a 1997 Silver model with 125k miles. The car needs breaks, needs a tune-up, needs a sunroof motor (sunroof opens and closes really slowly), needs paint, and the clutch feels a bit worn. Otherwise its a pretty decent car for $3k.

Boz Mon is the guy to talk to about this, but here is what he has said before:

Boz Mon
Some things to watch for when buying a 5th gen Prelude.

1. It take premium gas
2. H series engines are notorious for oil usage usually at least 1qt per 3k miles if not more
3. Under no circumstances will you buy an SS auto Lude, they are crap and cost a small fortune to repair
4. 97-98 5th gens need timing belt/waterpump/auto tensioner replaced at 90k miles. 99-01 it was upped to 105k. Make sure it was done honda will charge around a grand depending on where you are at
5. Other than that, this is the best car ever! I get around 26-29mpg, it looks good, reasonably quick, reliable, and just plain cool.
6. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Edit (the first of many) The base Lude and the Type SH have small differences, the main one being the ATTS system which makes for the ultimate handling FWD car. It was proved that the Type sh lude is 2 seconds faster around a road coarse than the base. The SH also has courtesy lights in the doors, leather wrapped shift knob and steering wheel, painted side skirts, and different wheels. For every day driving there really is no difference between the 2 so either one would be an excellent choice.

Back