PS3 HDD Upgrade Tutorial(now includes PS3 Slim!)

• Thread starter nick09
  • 220 comments
Just to clarify as I'm not sure about H3rmaN's comment:

SSD disks are a lot faster (if you buy one of the better ones) than today's best HDDs. However you do need to spend money. This is probably not the place to go into details but you can see some detailed comparisons at Tom's Hardware.

Having said that the tests we were referring to earlier in this thread show little difference on a PS3. The most likely reason for that is that the disk isn't the bottleneck.

There are new Laptop HDDs with 100000 RPM! Only catch is that they are lower in memory for now and bit expensive. By the way will those new 100000 RPM work on a PS3? will it handle the energy?

There are new Laptop HDDs with 100000 RPM! Only catch is that they are lower in memory for now and bit expensive. By the way will those new 100000 RPM work on a PS3? will it handle the energy?
WHAT!? Proof please.

The PS3 will handle it but a 5400 RPM has plenty of speed but 100000RPMs is just too much.:crazy:

Just to clarify as I'm not sure about H3rmaN's comment:

SSD disks are a lot faster (if you buy one of the better ones) than today's best HDDs. However you do need to spend money. This is probably not the place to go into details but you can see some detailed comparisons at Tom's Hardware.

Having said that the tests we were referring to earlier in this thread show little difference on a PS3. The most likely reason for that is that the disk isn't the bottleneck.

Yes, all SSD's will be faster than a conventional HDD, but at the end of the day they are only faster by xxx milliseconds, which isn't a great difference, and hence why I said slightly faster.

If they were several whole seconds faster then they would be classed as "a lot faster".

Also as I said above, another good feature of SSD's is that they are not affected by shock (like dropping a laptop), but because the PS3 never moves (or at least mine and most others don't) that feature is not even needed.

WHAT!? Proof please.

The PS3 will handle it but a 5400 RPM has plenty of speed but 100000RPMs is just too much.:crazy:

Yup, a 100,000 RPM drive is too much! :P

As for a 10,000 RPM drive, do a google for the Western Digital Velociraptor.

A 300GB one costs about £185!!

wd_velociraptor_side.jpg

size-drives.jpg

In the 2nd pic the HDD on the right is the Western Digital Raptor drive which is also 10,000 RPM, but is 3.5" in size.

The Velociraptor is a 2.5" HDD that is seated in a heatsink which is 3.5" in size. However if you unscrew and remove the heatsink it still wouldn't fit into a PS3 because the drive is 15mm in height which is more than standard 2.5" drives.

Last edited:
This is a great thread! 👍

My 40 gb PS3 is filling up quickly (Oblivion, MGS4,GTA4 etc) and I guess that the upcoming games I'm interested in will also require big installs. As something of a luddite I'm a little afeared of the prospect of tackling this, but the clear instructions and the news that it won't invalidate the warranty fill me with the calming balm of reassurance.

I had no idea that its so easy to swap out the HDD, I have less than 5GB left out of 80. I think I'm gonna wait a couple weeks for my brother to upgrade his laptop, and just buy his old drive. I think its a 160GB, should be plenty of space.

I had no idea that its so easy to swap out the HDD, I have less than 5GB left out of 80. I think I'm gonna wait a couple weeks for my brother to upgrade his laptop, and just buy his old drive. I think its a 160GB, should be plenty of space.
I had to post this tutorial as no body really knows its a easy standard feature of the PS3. I'd just get a new one off of newegg if you live in the US.

Well the HD on my 60G launch unit is full so it's time for a larger hard drive.
Any favorite brands that are better than the others?

TB
Go ahead an megasize those hard drives, people!
I want to install as large of a hard drive as possible so I don't need to do this again but I thought I heard something about it only take up to a certain size drive max.
Do those of you with 320G & 500G drives have access to all the space on your hard drive or does it only "see" 120G or so?

Well the HD on my 60G launch unit is full so it's time for a larger hard drive.
Any favorite brands that are better than the others?

I want to install as large of a hard drive as possible so I don't need to do this again but I thought I heard something about it only take up to a certain size drive max.
Do those of you with 320G & 500G drives have access to all the space on your hard drive or does it only "see" 120G or so?

Its a fat32 filesystem so there will be a loss of space but not something like 1/5th of your HDD size. I'd just get a 5400rpm 320GB HDD if I were you to save cash and the faster speed is only a small change. I used a 320GB WD Scorpio to replace the old 60GB. When my ps3 formated the HDD to the FAT32 file system I only lost 22GB out of 320GB and I still got around 200GB of space to use. Any drive will work and I had my 320GB HDD for about a month now with only a slight noise increase but not enough to overpower the audio.

So yeah as long as its has a SATA connector it will work what ever the size is and make sure the form factor of the HDD is 2.5"(listed in specs on most websites).

Can anybody comment on the different speeds of HDD's (e.g. 5400/7200 RPM) to the heat that will be generated? Higher speed HDD's will generate more heat, has anybody detected a negative impact, e.g. fans roaring at high rpm's, instability, etc.?

When my ps3 formated the HDD to the FAT32 file system I only lost 22GB out of 320GB and I still got around 200GB of space to use.

That's not actually to do with FAT32 or formating, it's because HD Makers say 320GB is 320,000,000,000 bytes (cause they measure in Base10), but it's actually 298GB in Base2. So there is your mystery 22GB.

Well I went to do my backup & it doesn't recognize my external hard drive because it's a NTFS drive.
I tried to reformat it from Vista but it only gives me 2 options NTFS & exFAT, how do I format it in FAT 16 or FAT 32 so the PS3 can recognize it?

Well I went to do my backup & it doesn't recognize my external hard drive because it's a NTFS drive.
I tried to reformat it from Vista but it only gives me 2 options NTFS & exFAT, how do I format it in FAT 16 or FAT 32 so the PS3 can recognize it?

Get on a XP computer and format it that way. Perhaps get a program that can format it to FAT32 or you can follow a tutorial on formating it using the command line from here.

Get on a XP computer and format it that way. Perhaps get a program that can format it to FAT32 or you can follow a tutorial on formating it using the command line from here.

I just ordered a 320G hard drive a a dock from Amazon.
That'll solve my problems & I can use the dock as a external drive with my 60G I am removing from my PS3.

Thanks anyway!:)

I just ordered a 320G hard drive a a dock from Amazon.
That'll solve my problems & I can use the dock as a external drive with my 60G I am removing from my PS3.

Thanks anyway!:)

You have to use the backup function of the PS3 to get the data as I bet Sony does not want anyone uploading a game online. So you need a external HDD or even a ipod that is about the same size as the 60GB HDD.

You have to use the backup function of the PS3 to get the data as I bet Sony does not want anyone uploading a game online. So you need a external HDD or even a ipod that is about the same size as the 60GB HDD.

I can put the new hard drive in the external dock & back up the original hard drive to it & then just install it.

I can put the new hard drive in the external dock & back up the original hard drive to it & then just install it.

I'm pretty sure that won't work I'm afraid.

Mainly because the file you backup will be a backup, not a copy.

Perhaps more importantly, the PS3 uses a proprietary file format, which only a PS3 can read, for its boot disk (so you can't copy games etc by just putting the hard disk in a PC). As such, it will not read your FAT32 backup as its boot disk, I promise.

To the OP, when I upgraded mine, I couldn't read any of my game saves, it said they were corrupted. I found that choosing the 'Format Hard Drive' option before doing the restore sorted this out. As that was briefly damn scary, you might want to put something about this in the guide?

I'm pretty sure that won't work I'm afraid.

Mainly because the file you backup will be a backup, not a copy.

Perhaps more importantly, the PS3 uses a proprietary file format, which only a PS3 can read, for its boot disk (so you can't copy games etc by just putting the hard disk in a PC). As such, it will not read your FAT32 backup as its boot disk, I promise.

Then couldn't I just copy everything to the new HD & then install it?

Then couldn't I just copy everything to the new HD & then install it?

You won't be able to copy it because whatever you're going to use to copy it won't be able to read the PS3 hard drive.

What you could do is

Perform a backup onto the new hard disk in the caddy.

Plug the caddy into your PC, and you'll probably be able to see how it's laid out on there (there's probably a PS3 folder, just copy all of that to your PC)

Once you've got that copied across, install the new HD into the PS3, and format it.

Put the old PS3 HD into the caddy, and plug that into your PC.

Format the old PS3 HD (you'll need to use Disk Manager assuming you're on Windows), and copy back the PS3 folder with the backup in.

Restore from the old PS3 HD that's now in the caddy.

You'll want to use a program called fat32format to format the old PS3 HD.

There's some instructions for it and general disk management below (from some website, I offer no guarantees)

Click Start menu, select Run and enter diskmgmt.msc

If it asks you to initialise the disk, make sure you select a Basic disk, as opposed to a Dynamic.
You need to find the disk with unallocated space. Right click on it and select "New Partition" and follow these steps, clicking "Next" to get move on at each stage.

1. Partition Wizard starts, just click next to move on
2. Select Primary Partition.
3. Enter the maximum size for the Partition Size
4. Choose assign a drive letter. I used F:
5. Select "Do not Format this partition"
6. There will be a dialog box, summarising all the previous stuff. Click Finish

Now you have a drive letter, this is what we will pass to the formatter

Now download a copy of fat32format. Extract the single EXE file to somewhere suitable, like C:\. Click Start->Run and enter cmd. CD to the where you extracted the fat32format exe, e.g. by typing CD /D c:\

Now you're almost done.

Type this

fat32format f:

You should see this displayed

Warning ALL data on drive 'f' will be lost irretrievably, are you sure (y/n)

Now when it says this, it really means it. If you format the boot sector, FATs and root directory will be filled with zeros. By typing pressing Y and hitting return, you're also absolving me of liability for whatever was on the disk before.

Assuming you don't bail out at this point you should see something like this -

Warning ALL data on drive 'f' will be lost irretrievably, are you sure
(y/n) :y
Size : 250GB 488392002 sectors
512 Bytes Per Sector, Cluster size 32768 bytes
Volume ID is 1bdb:2c1d
32 Reserved Sectors, 59604 Sectors per FAT, 2 fats
7629261 Total clusters
7629260 Free Clusters
Formatting drive f:...
Clearing out 119304 sectors for Reserved sectors, fats and root cluster...
Wrote 61083648 bytes in 0.988463 seconds, 61796609.106193 bytes/sec
Initialising reserved sectors and FATs...
Done

This means that all has gone according to plan. It should take about 4 seconds per Terabyte to format the disk.

You won't be able to copy it because whatever you're going to use to copy it won't be able to read the PS3 hard drive.

What you could do is

Perform a backup onto the new hard disk in the caddy.

Plug the caddy into your PC, and you'll probably be able to see how it's laid out on there (there's probably a PS3 folder, just copy all of that to your PC)

Once you've got that copied across, install the new HD into the PS3, and format it.

Put the old PS3 HD into the caddy, and plug that into your PC.

Format the old PS3 HD (you'll need to use Disk Manager assuming you're on Windows), and copy back the PS3 folder with the backup in.

Restore from the old PS3 HD that's now in the caddy.

You'll want to use a program called fat32format to format the old PS3 HD.

There's some instructions for it and general disk management below (from some website, I offer no guarantees)

Thanks!
I'll try that.

And thats a reason why they give you a backup option in the ps3 settings.

Yea & if the PS3 would recognize my 500G external drive or Vista would let me format it in FAT32 it would all be rosey!

TheMoose
Yea & if the PS3 would recognize my 500G external drive or Vista would let me format it in FAT32 it would all be rosey!

The PS3 doesn't recognise it because it's formatted as NTFS ( I would guess )

Vista won't format all of it in FAT32.

There's a link to a program called fat32format in that text I quoted earlier. That will let you format all 500G as FAT32, so then both will recognise it and all will be right with the world 👍

Got a problem,
I got my new 320G hard drive, I put it in my PS3 & formatted it but the PS3 still doesn't recognize it when I try to do a back up.
All I get when I try to do a back up is a message to insert the storage media at the save destination, it says this even though the new formatted hard drive is plugged in.

I get the same message when I swap the hard drives (install the 320G in the PS3 & connect the 60G with the USB drive enclosure)

You need the drivers on your new HHD.Go to the playstation home page,click on support, then look for the updates (small box on the right)download the update to your pc,transfer to flash stick and when promted install to your new hard drive.:)

Back