Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,842 comments
I could like this if it had normal sized wheels and tires
View attachment 347486
Agreed, assuming the bed modification is done well and it isn't a total hack job. Not that they're not still wildly inappropriate, the wheels do appear to be OE Merc--so there's that. I'd be curious what the reserve was and if it was met.

Here's a well-done conversion, though still questionable as far as I'm concerned (it's possible for something you like to still be in poor taste):

porsche-914-pickup12.jpg

Agreed, assuming the bed modification is done well and it isn't a total hack job. Not that they're not still wildly inappropriate, the wheels do appear to be OE Merc--so there's that. I'd be curious what the reserve was and if it was met.
It was done pretty dang well. I have a picture on my computer I may upload later on. Had somewhat large wheel wells, though.

Had somewhat large wheel wells, though.
May well have been tubbed simply to make the job of enclosing the space simpler. I've seen cobble jobs where they didn't bother to make the bed the least bit functional. Ideally, it looks as though it was intended to look the way it does. (And therein lies the root of my dislike of "stanced" cars--the danged things look broken.)

In very broad terms, I suppose--I mean it's got box flares and a wing. But that's like saying I resemble Charlton Heston because we've both got round necks. I figured it might be an attempt to clone a car from one of those Dumb and Dumber Fast and Furious movies.

3_148.jpg

Blecch!!!

(Note: I was actually going to post a clever-or-not reply saying something along the lines of "I'd rock it too--with these wheels:" followed by a picture of OE 450SEL wheels that I was in the process of looking for when I found the above. They're GLK bits if I'm not mistaken.)

I've gotta side with @Custom878 on this one. Those Pentas offer a much needed reduction in diameter, fit the look of the original car to a T, and aren't nearly as cliché. And I know it's been done plenty, but I think color-coding wheels to the body ends up looking tacky--I can't help but lump it in with a white Escalade on white 26s.

Back